Start by marking “Temptation (Solitary Tales, #3)” as Want to Read:
Temptation (Solitary Tales, #3)

Temptation

(Solitary Tales #3)

The third book in the Solitary Tales series for young adults, Temptation follows the soul-wrenching twists of Chris Buckleys journey as he heads deeper into a darkness that threatens all he loves best.  As a reluctant student at Harrington Highs summer school, Chris meets a fun-loving senior girl who offers a welcome diversion from Chriss past. Soon Chris no longer ...more
Published April 1st 2012 by David C Cook

To ask other readers questions about Temptation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Temptation

Start your review of Temptation (Solitary Tales, #3)
Jess at Such a Novel Idea
For more information, visit my blog, Such A Novel Idea.

For those of you who have been holding your breath in anticipation for the third installation of this amazing series, it was worth it! Prepare to be taken on yet another journey into the crazy town of Solitary.

I am fascinated by how Thrasher manages to have each of the books in this series take on such a different life. In the first, it is a pure love story, and we find ourselves with lots of questions and very
Vanya D.
Feb 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all my friends
Please take note that there are some minor spoilers in this review.

Another awesome book I got from Netgalley. Another awesome book from this extremely talented author.

I absolutely love this series, because not a single string of action, not a single word is out of its appropriate place. And also because everything in it is so unbelievably complicated. So complicated in fact, that you get the feeling that the tight knot of events and mysteries and unanswered questions would never ever get untied.
Jeff Holton
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
So I picked up Book One in the Solitary Series about a week ago. Exactly one week later I just finished the third book "Temptation" and this series is one of the best ones I have read in a very long time. "Temptation" picks up right where "Gravestone" left off and suspenseful ride does not let up one iota. Sure (as with any series) there are things in the story that are easy to figure out early on, but for the most part Thrasher has an EXCELLENT series going here. The only thing that bums me out ...more
Matt Schiariti
Nov 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Travis Thrasher is establishing himself in my eyes as the master of dangling the carrot. That basically sums up my thoughts on the third installment of the Solitary Tales.

In Temptation, Chris has all but given up. He wants to get on with his senior year and get out of Solitary. Plain and simple. It seems like the more he wants to let go, however, the more the town and its secrets grab hold of him.

Once again a pretty new face comes into Chris's life. Once again she seems close but yet too far
Kevin
Apr 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Temptation, Travis Thrasher's third volume in the "The Solitary Tales" tetralogy, has arrived and with it readers begin to get the answers to the important questions that series protagonist Chris Buckley has been asking since he discovered that things aren't quite right in Solitary, North Carolina.

In some ways 16- (and later 17-) year-old Chris Buckley is a rat trapped in a maze he didn't create. As he searches for answers, he keeps running into dead ends. But when the answers are given and he
Amanda G. Stevens
Dec 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In the third book in the Solitary Tales, Chris Buckley is on a mission. Not a mission to protect people he cares about. Not a mission to discover who took some of those people or how to expose and stop them. No, Chris's new mission is to ignore, to enjoy life and be free. Model-gorgeous new girl Lily shows up just in time to aid this mission. Chris doesn't get why she's into him, but he's no longer asking questions like "why."

Solitary is the cliff's edge. Gravestone is the shove over into
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
Chris Buckley has been struggling with a lot of issues since he and his mother moved to Solitary. That's just what seems to happen to when you move here. You find yourself a bit isolated from everyone else. It's hard enough trying to fit in and when you finally make friends, something happens so them. They move away. They disappear. Or they are murdered.

Chris attempts to come to terms with what has been happening in this town, and once again he finds he is alone. Aside from a small black dog
John Urban
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Poor Chris.
In the short seven months since he and his mother moved to Solitary North Carolina, he's encountered failure and loss, grief and anger, unanswered questions and mystery, lies and betrayal, horror and the supernatural. And now, a kid who could definitely use a vacation from it all is forced to attend summer school.
Such fertile soil for sowing seeds of TEMPTATION.
His will and spirit now broken, Chris's hopelessness and inadequacy against the dark forces at work in this town change his
Christian Fiction Addiction
Feb 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What would you do if your search for the truth meant that those important to you ended up disappearing or hurt because of their connection to you? What would you do if your mom kept descending deeper and deeper into the haze of alcohol? What if there seemed to be no purpose in fighting the evil threatening to overtake you?

These are questions Chris Buckley is running from in book three of the Solitary Tales. Sentenced to summer school for no conceivable reason, Chris is soon side-tracked by a
Pam
Feb 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-read
AARRGGHH!!! I hate you Travis Thrasher!!!! Not really, but now I have to wait! Im not a patient person and you are forcing me to wait! I HATE waiting!!!!! With the number of trilogies flooding the market, I assumed that this, the third book in the Solitary Series, would be the end of itbut it wasnt. I feel like I am being led on! Now I know how Kelsey felt in Gravestone!

OK, so in this third, and not final installment of the Solitary Series, Chris is in Summer School and crushing on Lily, a new
Michelle Griep
Feb 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Move over Stephen King. Travis Thrasher is da man! If creepalicious is your thing, then Temptation is the book to you. In my opinion, its the creepiest of the series thus far.

I confess there were times I wanted to slap hero Chris upside the head. In this installment, he makes some pretty stupid choices, even though he knows hes making them. Dare I admit that I resorted to calling him an idiot during one scene? Yeah. It earned me a few strange looks as I read on the treadmill at the gym.

But that
Glenajo
Apr 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Surprises and Twists Continue

Chris Buckley and his mother moved to Solitary, North Carolina after his parents separated over the issue of his fathers faith. After months of pressure, Chris just shuts down. Forces to attend summer school, he believes that he is stuck when Lilly walks through the door. Then when she notices him, his angst turns to joy and he forces all the scary things out of his mind and focuses solely on Lilly. After his mother tries to commit suicide while on a drinking
Jeanie
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Temptation is the continuing saga of 16 year old Chris who has moved to his mother's hometown of Solitary. Chris during summer school meets Lily and who gives him hope, however, is it a false hope. As always with this series, you have questions, but in Temptation you begin to have answers but with the answers, you have more questions. Chris grows up some during this time and begins to seek the right answers. The story deals with spiritual darkness and how the characters (and in life) we may not ...more
Dianne
Travis Thrasher has broken the mold on Christian Fiction, Young Adult Fiction!

Chris Buckley has had enough, he is battered, bruised, emotionally drained, so he tries to turn his back on the horror and escapes to his father's. In doing so, he begins to get the answers he has been desperate for. He is beginning to get that he is crucial to all that is happening in Solitary, really get it. The battle for his soul, his family's dark history, his losses, his fears, many of his/our questions are
Stoney Setzer
Series gets better with each book

"Temptation" is the third book of the "Solitary" series, which gets progressively better with each book. After the events of the first two books, protagonist Chris Buckley goes into a rebellious/shutdown mode, in which he decides he no longer cares about the evil in Solitary...only to learn that is exactly what his enemies want. A lot of major revelations come in this boo as the stage is set for the final resolution.
☆Joycedale☆
Oct 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I knew Lily couldn't be trusted and how does he mom not know what happened to her? I mean he was in her car. So is there vampires in the boxcar? I really hope the last book answers the questions, its driving me crazy. I also kinda figured his mom would get dragged into it at some point and who the mountain man was.
Hena
Mar 01, 2013 rated it liked it
A few more questions are answered in the 3rd installment of this series.. but I still liked the second book better.. this one was a lot more focus on a teen boy crazy in love.. both of which I am not nor really interested in.
Jim Pennington
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Awesome. The last chapter brought me to tears. Beautiful writing by an incredible storyteller. Please read this amazing series!
Lou
THAT ENDING!!!!!

That ending definitely killed me! There are more questions and I need to have answers! I just think that this series is getting better and better.
John
Aug 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
In Temptation we finally get some answers as well as a lot of symbolism and new questions. The important bridge between the unfolded story of SOLITARY/GRAVESTONE and the upcoming TEMPTATION.
Julie Kuebler
Aug 18, 2017 rated it liked it
My review: "Temptation is the third book in The Solitary Tales. If you read my review for the second book, Gravestone, then you will know that I was not a fan. It left me extremely disappointed. So when I picked up this book, I was very wary.

Thankfully, I had nothing to be worried about. I was pleasantly surprised by how the story seemed to up the ante compared to the previous book. From the very beginning, I was hooked. It was like, Oh hey, this is what I remember Solitary being like. Yeah,
Kelly
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Only one more missing piece?

Even darkness is light to the Lord. Praise GOd! I love that GOd isnt ever surprised at the things that happen to us. I think teenagers should read this story. I wasnt quite as fond of the first two stories, but this one had a much better ending.
Hannah
Nov 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are some cheesy and overwrought bits, but overall I really love this series and find the characters and conflicts interesting! I cant believe Im almost done with this series! ...more
Brenda
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
this is not a great series but at this point ive come too far not to finish it 😑 ...more
Sarah Jacquie
I won the last book (Hurt) which kinda sucked, because... well it's the last book and who wants to read the final book of a series first? However, I was really grateful to receive all four of the books and tore through them all.

I will just say that I think he is a good writer, really. However, I just think the stories are a bit too formulaic and then little bits of weird things are thrown in to spice it up that just don't make sense or are left unfinished.

Very predictable story about a boy who
Melanie
Nov 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: review-books
Review on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/review/RB2184N9...
Review on my blog (to be posted 4/15): http://christianbookshelfreviews.blog...

After reading Solitary (really liked it) and Gravestone (loved it) plus the short B-Side story to the series Thrasher wrote, Something I Can Never Have, I was anticipating Temptation very much!

The prologue was great and grabbed my attention. I loved how it showed a little of what was to come at the end of the story, but without giving away key things.

I
Deborah
Nov 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing

As a reluctant student at Harrington Highs summer school, Chris meets a fun-loving senior girl who offers a welcome diversion from Chriss past. Soon Chris no longer searches for the truth about the town of Solitary. He no longer tries to pierce its shadows. He no longer questions his role in its
May 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Title: TEMPTATION
Author: Travis Thrasher
Publisher: David C. Cook
April 2012
ISBN: 978-1-4347-6417-1
Genre: Young Adult/Christian mystery/supernatural suspense

TEMPTATION is the third book in Mr. Thrashers Solitary Tales Series. It is the story of Chris Buckleys soul-wrenching journey as he goes deeper into the darkness that threatens all he loves best.

Chris is a reluctant student at Harrington Highs summer school, and there he meets a fun-loving girl who is a welcome diversion from Chris past.
Mojoboy31
Aug 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I wish I could rate this book higher, that being said, I think it's the best of the first three. It starts slow, and predictably, the plot is annoying and frustrating, which aren't necessarily bad things; provided that they aren't focused on too heavily.

Unfortunately, just as Solitary and Gravestone had, Temptation falls for that ploy; drawing out bad, uninteresting, annoying, and just flat-out frustrating plots.
This is especially problematic when said plots are also predictable. When the
Lori Twichell
Sep 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Tightly paced with a plot that will keep you reeling, Temptation does come with a warning. Anyone around you might be drawn into the action as you gasp, laugh out loud and maybe even shout a little. I read this while sitting in a hospital waiting room and still couldnt stop myself from outbursts of What? Seriously? There were moments so stunning I wanted to call Travis on the phone and ask what he was thinking. And when I turned the last page? I wanted to call him and beg for whatever he has ...more

• The Persian Gamble (Marcus Ryker, #2)
  • By the Book
  • Catching the Wind
  • Shouting at the Rain
  • A Distance Too Grand (American Wonders Collection, #1)
  • The Words Between Us
  • The Puzzle of You
  • The Love Letter
  • The Final Storm (The Door Within, #3)
  • An Uncommon Woman
  • Catching Christmas
  • The Rapture: In the Twinkling of an Eye   (Before They Were Left Behind, #3)
  • Persomi
  • Ivy Aberdeen's Letter to the World
  • Beneath a Southern Sky (The Camfield Legacy #1)
  • The 39 Clues Superspecial: Outbreak
  • The Rain Watcher
  • Outrun the Moon
Bestselling author Travis Thrasher has written over 50 books, spanning genres in fiction, nonfiction and childrens literature. His inspirational stories have included collaborations with filmmakers, musicians, athletes, celebrities and pastors.

With the childhood goal of pursuing a writing career starting in third grade, Thrasher worked for 13 years at Tyndale House Publishers after graduating

Solitary Tales (4 books)
  • Solitary (Solitary Tales, #1)
  • Gravestone (Solitary Tales, #2)
  • Hurt (Solitary Tales, #4)