Start by marking “Barging in” as Want to Read:
Barging in

Barging in

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  930 Ratings  ·  148 Reviews

When the boat's a rockin', don't come knockin'!

Out-and-proud travel writer Dan Taylor can't steer a boat to save his life, but that doesn't stop him from accepting an assignment to write up a narrowboat holiday. Instead of a change of pace from city life, though, the canal seems dull as ditchwater. Until he crashes into the boat of a half-naked, tattooed, pierced man wh

Published September 1st 2011 by Samhain Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Barging in, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barging in

Ami
Arthur
Vio
Jul 21, 2011 rated it liked it

The pace was too slow for me and I didn't really connect with the characters nor was I drawn into the story. I felt no magical spark between Dan and Robin and their first sexual encounter, was so not hot or sexy. The lack of preparation as in just spit for lubrication was a complete turn off, that encounter did not sit well with me. What I did like was the vivid description of the waterways, boats and scenery oh and of course Morris!

DarienMoya
More of my reviews and ramblings at PANTS OFF REVIEWS

Where has Josephine Myles been all my life? It’s been such a joy to read a Myles book; I am in deep obsessing fan love. Her characters are always diverse; her writing filled with such beautiful description and the heat always singes a hair or two. I am all about the pants losing, but I think I might have lost my underwear with this one. Barging In is splendid and I am happy I read it.

Dan Taylor is on an assignment to write up an article on boa
Valentina Heart
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This review was originally written for The Romance Reviews and can also be found there.

Tattoos, piercings and an attitude problem are something that never gets old with me. Add an accent and an unconventional setting and I'm completely hooked and won over. Josephine Myles was an author whose work I've never read before, but I did catch her blog post or two and just based on that, I had high expectations. One thing she didn't do is disappoint.

Dan is a man who has his life planned and is perfectl
Sheri
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Hmmm, this was pretty darn good.
Yep, another Jo Myles winner in my book.
Perhaps it was a tad babbley at times, but I didn't mind.
Their British banter was adorable and amusing.
Dan has absolutely no intentions of becoming a one-man man.
Nope. He's quite happy being the slut he is. Well until a grouchy sexy drifter crosses his path. After they quite literally bump into one another, they can't seem to get rid of each other.
As things heat up (and sweet mercy do they ever!) they find themselves loo
Sandra
Ah, I just adore Jo Myles' books. They're so very British, and I just love that.

I'd never heard of Narrowboats before this book. I'd no idea that there are people in Britain who live on these skinny boats, slowly moving up and down the rivers and canals through the country-side. I'd no clue that you can rent such a boat for a holiday. Until I googled that, and wow - there's apparently a ton of these boats, no wider than a few feet, on which you can live and cook and sleep.

Robin, one of our MCs
Chris
Jun 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, ebook, romance, 2011, gay, done
Excellent m/m romance about a somewhat slutty travel writer who's rented a narrowboat for a week so he can write about and photograph life on the canals. When he (literally) runs into a hunky, prickly boater who takes an instant dislike to him, things get a lot more interesting... for both of them. This was a story that built slowly, but never felt like it. And make sure you have your hankies handy! Highly recommended.
Simsala
Jul 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, contemporary
Sometimes I think the (my) 3 star ratings are the worst books.
Nothing`s really wrong,they have all the right ingredients,a promising story but the spark doesn`t ignite. - Lukewarm.
Jenre
Sep 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary, m-m, romance
I've put off writing this review for a few weeks now.  Not because I didn't like the book but at around the time I was thinking about reviewing there were several reviews of the book posted on other sites, many of which were saying exactly what I was going to say. So, I decided to hold off.  It's an interesting experience waiting a while to review a book because your perception of it changes the longer you leave it.  Some books fade into only a vague remembrance and others, like this one, remain ...more
Beck
May 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, mm
This was a really enjoyable read. I found it very easy to like the 2 main characters (Robin & Dan) & the secondary characters were well fleshed out too. I loved the setting of the book as I have always had a dream of living on a river barge so I was predisposed to like the book because of that anyway. The other thing I liked about the story was that the men were, well, men ... not women with willies (if you know what I mean). Having said that, they also had real emotions & feelings t ...more
Natalie
Nov 09, 2012 marked it as dnf
DNF. I don't hate it, but it's just not grabbing my attention either. With so many other books to read, it's time for me to move on.
Calila
I sadly didn't really love this. It was fine. But I just did not like how Robin treated or talked about Dan. And there was never any resolution. His behavior is pointed out but I didn't get any indication of long term changes. Dan completely changes his life for Robin and I never noticed any reciprocation by Robin. It irks me. I don't know. It never clicked.
Tam
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
Dan is a journalist who is doing an article about barging on the canal near Bath. He's pretty hopeless at it really, and literally runs into hottie Robin, who lives on his boat. He's surly and not impressed with idiot tourists, however before long, self-professed slut Dan, with no interest in a relationship, and firmly-bi Robin, have agreed to spend the week together, no strings. Well, we all know how that goes right? At first Robin comes across as a bit of an ass, and Dan is a good-time Charlie ...more
Sue
Jan 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was really happy to read a gay romance set in England, especially such a quintessentially English setting as the canals.
Josephine Myles gets the ambience just right, and the boats are lovely - made me want to take a boating holiday next summer!
I think some of the less enthusiastic reviews for this book come from people who cannot empathise with the setting and the different pace of life in Britain. Not much in the line of car chases, gun-toting enemies or gangs are found here as a rule, and th
Julie Bozza
Jul 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A well-told romance about two men, neither of whom are expecting to find love, with a terrific setting in the narrow boat community around Bath in England. I enjoyed learning about both characters and watching them grow closer together, and also enjoyed their relationships with their families - especially Robin's with his mother. The details of the setting were thorough and vivid, so it was no surprise to learn that the author once lived on a narrow boat herself.

The whole thing was really quite
Auggy
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013, romance, dnf
V
Sep 20, 2011 marked it as no-for-me-abused-angst-or-too-long
cheating, I don't like it in my stories at all:(
Jayhjay
Sep 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This review was originally published at Joyfully Jay.

Travel writer Dan Taylor has a new assignment covering boating holidays in a rented narrowboat he isn't quite sure how to steer. He spots gorgeous Robin Hamilton chopping wood along the water and is instantly attracted to the tattooed and pierced man. Unfortunately, too much ogling leads Dan to run his boat right into Robin's.

Robin isn't thrilled to deal with an unskilled city boy boater, and is even less thrilled later in the day when Dan ge
LiveYourLife BuyTheBook
Jul 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: deb, samhain, a-good-read
4 Stars
A "Live Your Life, Buy The Book" Review

Dan Taylor is a travel writer that takes an assignment to cover a narrowboat holiday. Dan knows nothing about boating other than the brief lesson given by the people where he hired the boat. While making his way along the canal he is distracted by the sight of a hunky, tattooed man chopping wood. He is so distracted he runs into the man’s narrowboat. Not exactly the best first impression.

Robin Hamilton is the owner of the boat, Serendipity. The one D
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Although this dragged a little in the middle, it was a good story and interesting. I learned a lot about a culture I'd never even heard of. I mean, I knew about travellers/"gypsies" but I was unaware of the boat culture in that part of England. When I originally read the summary, I thought it took place in some exotic non-Western country. So I learned something and that in itself was wonderful.

I liked Robin a lot except in the very, very beginning when he was a jerk. I really liked Dan, except
Sandra
May 25, 2012 rated it liked it
2.5 stars This is a really hard book to review. The first half was 1.5 to 2 stars and the second half was 3.5 to 4 stars, so I averaged it out.

Why I didn't like the first half? I didn't like (actually flat out disliked) the two main characters. Robin was just a complete ass, and despite Dan continually saying he wanted to conquer him or whatever, I wasn't buying it. I didn't feel a connection, and Dan acted like he knew Robin wanted him, but really, he was kind of a dick most of the time. So I w
Lou Harper
Jun 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Jo is a good friend of mine, and I’ve had the fortune to follow the progress of this book from the beginning, so I have no claim to impartiality. Still, I have to say: Barging In is a damn good book.

The two most important things for me in any book are character and the writing. Jo created a couple of protagonist who are the ideal foils for each other. Dan and Robin are seemingly far apart, both in their backgrounds and current life styles, but they push each other’s buttons just right. There is
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
This story is lovely. The blurb is extremely accurate, I love the disclaimer, so I won’t go into the details of the story.

I really appreciated the way the relationship between Dan, the journalist, and Robin, the boater, developed. The two are out of sync for all the story, but not in a too dissonant way. You can see that they’re trying to overcome their doubts and fears to get to the coveted result, even when they can’t name what it is yet.

They fall in lust quickly, but they both have to earn th
Maygirl7
Aug 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I just loved this! So much so that I just stayed up until 1 despite having to work tomorrow. The first time I started this book I just could not get into it. Don't know why it was different this time, but it worked perfectly for me, and I fell in love as Dan and Robin did.
Shannon
Jul 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I honestly don't know what took me so long to read this book. I really enjoyed it! Really loved Robin's vulnerability and Dan's total lack of sexual morals. Interesting look on the boating culture as well. Enjoyable, not too angsty and hot sex. Yum!
Lindsay
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book straight after reading the sample - I seem to be doing that a lot lately. At first it was the unusual setting that drew me in (and it is so lovely to read a novel where the setting is so important, and so well-used) but I soon warmed to the characters and spent a very enjoyable day with this engaging novel.

I have spent some time on a narrowboat (as one of those tourists that drive Robin up the wall) and can only regret that my luck in finding a sexy tattooed man wasn’t as good
Cryselle
Jul 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, samhain
Who knew there was an entire subculture living a gypsy life aboard long, thin boats on the canals of England? Or that some of them were so darn sexy? Josephine Myles treats us to a peek through Robin Hamilton's reluctant romance with Dan Taylor, travel writer and terrible noob long-boater in Barging In.

The erotic wood-chopping we are warned of brings Robin and Dan together – literally, with a collision and snarling. From this inauspicious beginning wonderful things bloom. Dan's out, footloose, a
Chris, the Dalek King
Barging In is probably not in my top five of Josephine Myles stories, but it was pretty good nonetheless. Myles has a very English way about her writing (which one can expect since she is herself English) and I love all the little-known bits of English life that she brings out in her stories.

Here we have Robin, a tattooed boating loner stud-muffin, and Dan, and happily slutty travel writer. They meet when Dan 'taps' their boats together (Dan was distracted by a sweaty, tattooed man wielding an
  • No Souvenirs (Florida Books, #3)
  • Hard Tail
  • Driftwood
  • It's Not Shakespeare (It's Not Shakespeare, #1)
  • The Rebuilding Year (The Rebuilding Year, #1)
  • Blind Passion
  • Double Blind (Special Delivery, #2)
  • Rock and a Hard Place
  • Come Unto These Yellow Sands
English through and through, Josephine Myles is addicted to tea and busy cultivating a reputation for eccentricity. She writes gay erotica and romance, but finds the erotica keeps cuddling up to the romance, and the romance keeps corrupting the erotica. She blames her rebellious muse but he never listens to her anyway, no matter how much she threatens him with a big stick. She's beginning to suspe ...more
More about Josephine Myles

Romance Deals

• #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $2.49
  • Remembering Us
    $3.99 $2.00
  • No Turning Back (Kathleen Turner #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unbound (The Forbidden Bond, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • In the Heir (Westerly Billionaire, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All Chained Up (Devil's Rock #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Life After Perfect (Boot Creek #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Room for You (Cranberry Inn, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Noble Servant (A Medieval Fairy Tale #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Turn to Me (Kathleen Turner, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forbidden Fling (Wildwood #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Vanishing Girl (The Vanishing Girl, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Unwanted Wife (Unwanted, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • In His Shadow (The Tangled Ivy Trilogy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Fire (Red-Hot SEALs, #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • The Sapphire Affair (Jewel, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Thing Called Love (Mirror Lake, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Tea and Secrets (Adams Grove, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Highland Promise (Murray Brothers, 3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • MacKenzie Fire (Shine Not Burn, #2)
  • Hell Breaks Loose
  • Ensnared
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Turning Point (Kathleen Turner, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Number, Right Guy (The Bourbon Street Boys, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow of a Doubt (The Tangled Ivy Trilogy, #2)
  • Between Me and You
  • Just One Thing
    $4.49 $1.99
  • In the Band (Luminescent Juliet, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Glassblower
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Blank Slate
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Picturing Perfect (Love of My Life, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unforgiven (The Forbidden Bond #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Nothings (Sugar Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sprinkles on Top (Sugar Springs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Forged In Ash (Red-Hot SEALs, #2)
  • Of Noble Birth
  • Something More Than This
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Need You for Mine (Heroes of St. Helena, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Best Medicine (Bell Harbor, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Need You for Always (Heroes of St. Helena, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Out of Turn (Kathleen Turner, #4)
  • The Matchmaker's Playbook (Wingmen Inc. 1) [Kindle in Motion]
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Barbecue and Bad News (Adams Grove, #6)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Mint Juleps and Justice (Adams Grove #5)
  • 99 Days
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Royal Games (The Royals of Monterra, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Up for Heir (Westerly Billionaire #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Royal Chase (The Royals of Monterra)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The American Lady (The Glassblower Trilogy #2)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Sunshine
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Wingman (Alpha Male, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Room for More (Cranberry Inn Book 2)
  • The Last Move
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sapphire Heist (Jewel, #2)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Perfect Game (The Perfect Game, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Turn, Right Direction (The Bourbon Street Boys, #4)
  • I've Got Your Number
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Ink My Heart (Luminescent Juliet, #2)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Wild Swans
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Highland Surrender
  • Voyage of the Heart
  • Good Boy (WAGs, #1)
  • Even the Score
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Point of No Return (Kathleen Turner, #5)
  • 180 Seconds
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shine Not Burn (Shine Not Burn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • 8 Bodies is Enough (Body Movers, #8)
    $6.99 $2.49

“He'd have to turn on his high-voltage charm with these people. Should work. They were only used to 12V battery power after all-he'd dazzle them.” 4 likes
“He couldn't wait to get back home.
Home wasn't London.
Home was wherever Robin was.”
1 likes