Start by marking “The Eloquence of Blood (Charles Du Luc, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Eloquence of Blood (Charles Du Luc, #2)

The Eloquence of Blood (Charles Du Luc #2)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  163 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
"An exciting new discovery" (Library Journal) returns to seventeenth-century Paris with a new historical novel of intrigue.

Christmas in Paris, 1686. The spirit of the season is shattered when Martine Mynette is murdered while trying to prove that she is the adopted daughter of the last surviving Mynette heir and thus claim her inheritance-money that the family otherwise i
Published September 6th 2011 by Berkley Trade

To ask other readers questions about The Eloquence of Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Eloquence of Blood

Jacqie
Sep 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Maitre Charles de Luc is back and in fine form in this sequel to The Rhetoric of Death. The book started a bit haltingly, as the author introduces a large cast of new characters. The mystery was tied up in French will legalities and adoption legalities of the seventeenth century, and frankly I did not find it the most interesting part of the book. There were a lot of disparate pieces to move along, from the suspicion of the Jesuits in the murder and how that played out, to bloodlines, to smuggli ...more
Astronomica Peripatetica
I liked it -- and I liked it a little better than the first book in the series. Although it wasn't as sweeping or dramatic, it was harder to "solve" early, and therefore wasn't as frustrating in the buildup to the solution of the crime. Again, the historical detail and meticulous research are both apparent and appreciated. The hero still has too many stellar attributes, but these are not very important to the plot in the second book, so are less annoying (tall, young, handsome, blond, noble birt ...more
Virginia
Aug 12, 2013 rated it liked it
This sequel to The Rhetoric of Death just didn't hold my attention as well as its predecessor. The story was a little cumbersome, and the characters weren't quite as interesting the second time around. Still, Judith Rock writes beautifully and the setting feels very authentic. She touches all the senses with her descriptions (makes me glad our world is a little less aromatic than the 1600s!) and I've had an education on the various social levels that dictated how people interacted with one anoth ...more
Dorie
Sep 25, 2011 rated it liked it
A tepid follow up to The Rhetoric of Death. To be honest I had so much trouble following all the characters and names that it was difficult to make much sense of the plot, which involved the murder of a young woman and her father. The resolution was a little disappointing to me and didn't really completely make sense. I still like the main character, however and the author's writing itself is good, so if there is another in this series I will try it.
Bibliobee
Jun 29, 2011 rated it liked it
I generally figure the "who done it" portion of most mysteries by the half way mark, so when I had no idea who committed the crime in "The Eloquence of Blood" I was impressed that the mystery wasn't so transparent. However, reading on a little further I found the mystery got slightly convoluted and the plot was bogged down by this and too many unnecessary/ ill formed characters. Even still, I enjoyed "The Eloquence of Blood" enough and look forward to reading the next in the series (if there is ...more
Rachel
Mar 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED this book. Judith Rock has brought 17th-century Paris alive, and her characters leap out of the page along with the setting. I enjoyed "The Rhetoric of Death," the first Charles du Luc installment, but Rock has really hit her stride with this latest adventure. The plot is compelling and flows seamlessly from court politics to church drama to the personal lives of some very vivid characters. I can't wait for the third book! A teaser is included in the back of the book, and I'm ...more
Miriam
Sep 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent mystery set in 17th century Paris.
Rich
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
It is rare that I give a rating as low as 2 stars. Even more rare that I give a rating that low from an author I have chosen to read multiple times, but The Eloquence of Blood just didn't do a thing for me.

I rather enjoyed the series opener The Rhetoric of Death. Maybe the novelty of the authors ability to draw Paris in the late 1600s had worn off by the second novel.

Eloquence of death is a pretty straight forward mystery that frankly never really got my attention. The setting is beautiful onc
Kay Robart
Jun 12, 2013 rated it liked it
As usual for the two books in this series, the historical details seem convincing and interesting. The novel is well written and keeps you involved. One very small caveat that I did not notice in the first book–Rock translates even the simplest French, which is annoying.

Pam
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
A nice surprise for me _ I neither knew the book nor the tale but it grabbed me while wandering the eBook libraries to which I subscribe.

Excellent sense of time and place _ 17th c Paris and a mystery to be discovered, too. I'm off to see if I can find the first of this 'series' as an eBook..otherwise its on to my 'to read' list to pull from the library when I return to the States!
Ann
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Exciting second historic mystery in this series by Judith Rock that follows Charles de Luc's career and life at the Jesuit school in Paris. Jesuit dance? That was the big surprise in the first of Rock's novels..... An exciting and informative read!
Alana White
Second in the 17th-Century historical series set in Paris featuring Jesuit Charles du Luk as the conflicted religious who solves mysteries while instructing students in the art of dance. Excellent writing once again. I already have the third title, "A Plague of Lies," on my To Read list.
Roshni
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
The main character, an ex-soldier and current Jesuit monk, has a penchant for solving murders, and he has to navigate treacherous religious waters as well as the political climate of Paris to solve this one.
Cheryl
Apr 24, 2012 rated it liked it
I like it because it takes place in 17th C. France,and I only gave it 3 stars because I have just started reading it. Lately I am in to mystery novels and so far NOTHING compares to the Charlie Parker series by John Connolly. I am just sorry I have read all of them already....
Cdelory
Jun 17, 2012 rated it liked it
These 17th Century Jesuits seemed a little 21st Century to me, and the history I had hoped to learn was on the light side. The lead Jesuit investigator is an engaging character, but the mystery itself was a bit of a let down. I'd give it a, "not bad."
Ellen Dark
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked the book, and I look forward to reading the next one. The author left some questions unanswered, perhaps for a future book.
Kgwhitehurst
Oct 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A tightly plotted, well-written historical mystery, with plenty of good characters for whom one may entertain empathy and engagement.
Pam Martin
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Have really enjoyed this series. Learned a lot about Paris during the 17th century .
M Christopher
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
A good yarn but a little slow in the beginning. I appreciate period mysteries that help me learn more about history and this period is rich for France and the Jesuits.
Nikki Wilson
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and I want to read the first book in the series. The historical facts are fun to read. It is neat to learn how people lived their daily lives in another time.
Debra
A mystery but best read for the 17th century Parisian atmosphere.

I enjoy this series, and will read her next one. There is something missing, however, for it to rise to a solid 4 star.
Mom
Jan 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Probably a 3.5 star rating.
Judi
Jul 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
This and her fisrt one are great historical fiction of medieval France. Mysteries solved.
A bit slow - but fun to read anyway.
Leslie Angel
Feb 01, 2012 rated it liked it
good on setting (paris, 16th c.) and characters. Not quite the page-turner as the first one, but still good.
Charleen Combs
Nov 03, 2011
Allison6876
Mar 17, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Palace of Justice (Aristide Ravel, #2)
  • The Gilded Shroud (A Lady Fan Mystery #1)
  • Troubled Bones (Crispin Guest, #4)
  • The Tomb of Zeus (Laetitia Talbot, #1)
  • Where Serpents Sleep (Sebastian St. Cyr, #4)
  • A Gentleman of Fortune (A Dido Kent Mystery #2)
  • In Milady's Chamber (John Pickett Mysteries, #1)
  • Scandal on Rincon Hill (Sarah Woolson, #4)
  • What Alice Knew: A Most Curious Tale of Henry James & Jack the Ripper
  • Lie In The Dark
  • Theft of Life (Crowther and Westerman, #5)
  • Hangman Blind (Abbess of Meaux, #1)
  • Claws of the Cat (Shinobi Mystery, #1)
  • Murder on Black Friday (Nell Sweeney Mysteries, #4)
  • The Abyssinian Proof (Kamil Pasha, #2)
  • Secret of the White Rose (Simon Ziele, #3)
Judith Rock has written on dance, art, and theology for many journals, and has been artist-in-residence and taught and lectured at colleges, seminaries, and conferences across the United States and abroad. After years in New York, she and her husband currently split their time between Louisville, Kentucky, and Sarasota, Florida.
More about Judith Rock...

Charles Du Luc (4 books)