Start by marking “Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie (On My Own History)” as Want to Read:
Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie (On My Own History)

Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie

(On My Own History)

In the winter of 1856, a storm delays the lighthouse keeper's return to an island off the coast of Maine, and his daughter Abbie must keep the lights burning by herself.
Library Binding, 40 pages
Published April 1st 1987 by Turtleback Books (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie, please sign up.
Sean Harding She became addicted to cheeseburgers at McDonalds and died after eating twenty-seven in one sitting.

Laura (Book Scrounger)
Wow, this one takes me back. I remember "watching" this book on Reading Rainbow as a child. Even reading it now, I can still "hear" the seafaring music that played in the background. I had no idea it took place in Maine (my home state), though I guess it shouldn't surprise me. It's a story of a girl who has to tend the lighthouse lights night after night, while her father is kept away by a storm. Even with the simple text and short sentences of the reader-style book, I still found the story movi ...more
Karen Witzler
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A favorite tale of a courageous 16 year old. This is a chapter book for early readers. Highly recommended.
Casey

description

I remember this book from the classic series that we always watched in class! It was Booktube for the 90's. I'm not really sure why this book always stuck out in my mind as it's just a story about a girl watching (and of course) keeping a light house burning sometime in the 19th century. I always thought this was set in England/ Europe for some reason, apparently its in coastal Maine! Who would have thought!
Jodie Greene
Apr 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a historical fiction book about based on the true story of Abbie Burgess. Abbie’s father is a lighthouse keeper, but in the winter of 1856, he needs to leave by sea to get medicine for Abbie’s sick mother. Abbie does not know when he will be returning. She is the oldest child, so it is her job to keep the lights in the lighthouse burning to keep the ships safe and to bring her father back safely.

I recommend the book for grades K-2. Students could make connections to social studies by co
Cathy

Based on a true story and the events that unfolded during a storm when the lighthouse keeper couldn't return for weeks because of a terrible storm, His young daughter kept the light going through it all - while tending to younger sisters, a sick mother and rescuing chickens from a flood. Their eggs are what saved them from starv
Sean Harding
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is really a stand alone book that has been put as part of an anthology series - it was a short book but very beautifully written and rendered - a great story for all to read- and a book where you don't have to worry about the next entry in a series - Great Scott what a beautiful thing!
SusanwithaGoodBook
Cute little story for children about a young girl who must keep the lighthouse lit during a storm while her father is away. Despite the simplicity of the story you can feel the tension in the action. It was a Reading Rainbow book. I think my granddaughter will enjoy it in a few years.
Leslie Rucker
My 3rd grader gave it 5 stars because, "It was awesome, and I liked the adventure in it."
XIS Grade 3
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 3ja-read-to-self
Maya: I liked it because Abbie lived happy.
Amy
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We love Reading Rainbow!
Rebekah
My first big-girl book. Owned it and read it all by my self.
Pamela
Dec 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
"Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie" by Peter and Connie Roop is a story that proves that any obstacle can be conquered if a person sets their mind on a positive outcome. Abbie Burgess is a young girl who, without the help of anyone, kept the lights in a lighthouse burning for 4 long and difficult weeks while a terrible storm passed.
During this time, more upkeep had to be done in order to keep the lighthouses lit. Abby had to personally walk up to the top of the lighthouse, and blow out each light.
David
Jun 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie by Peter Roop & Connie Roop, pictures by Peter E. Hanson is a story about a lighthouse keeper's daughter who msut keep the lights burning by herself. This is a true story based on the life of Abbie Burgess who kept the light on the Matinicus Rock Lighthouse, off the Maine coast in 1856, burning when her father was delayed returning for four weeks by a severe storm. Abbie had to watch her sick mother, take care of her little sisters and maintain the Lighthouse l ...more
Alex
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book has been in my collection since first grade, when I met the book's authors at the Young Author's Conference and got the book signed. I have read the book a few times since then, and decided to read it again for my Children's Literature class. The book is a very simple, but heartwarming, story of a family who live at a lighthouse in Maine. Abbie, is a young girl who helps her father run the lights while also caring for her younger siblings and ill mother. When her father must take a dar ...more
Claire
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is about a young girl whose father tells her to keep the lights burning in the lighthouse for ships to see before he goes out on a fishing trip and does not return for a few days because of terrible storms. Abbie is put to the test when the storms rage on and she has to fight her fear to keep the lights burning. This book is for children ages 9-11 and is in the genre of biography and historical-fiction. I rated this book four stars because it had a great message of bravery and would be ...more
Luisa Knight
Aug 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children, i-can-read
This was another favorite I read as a kid because of Reading Rainbow. After not having read it in so long, I'd forgotten what happened and wondered if I'd still like it. I did. Be sure to order this or check it out at the library.

Reading Level: 2nd - 4th grades

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) wh
Rosa Cline
In 1850's The Burgess family was the lighthouse keepers. They keep the lighthouse lit so boats wouldn't crash against the shore in the dark. The lights were lit by matches and candles and hard to keep going.

Mama is sick and Papa has to after supplies and medcaition so little Abbie has the most responsibility to climb up and keep the lights on. This is based off the true story of the Burgess family.
Rosa Cline
4 star

Cheryl
May 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
On the coast of Maine in 1856, the lighthouse served as the sole guide for incoming ships. While Abbie's father is stranded ashore during a terrible storm, Abbie is left to tend the lights singlehandedly! An action packed and exciting account of Abbie's efforts to keep the ships from running aground in this true story!

This was a Reading Rainbow book. A great story for children about child heroines/heroes.
Mary
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
My Mom has always raved about this book. She's read it with her students so I thought I would read it with mine. I just read it for the first time and love it. It is such a good book for kids and there is so much to be able to do with it. We are in a landlocked state so my kids don't know what a storm at sea would be like so I will have to scaffold this a bit but I can tell they will appreciate Abbie. I can't wait to read it with them in a few weeks.
Kathryn
This is a children's picture book based on a true story of a very courageous girl who had to keep the lighthouse lights burning all by herself during a week long storm, while her mother was sick and her father was away getting supplies. It is a beautiful story about finding the strength to do more than you thought you could. . . someone should turn it into a play! :)
Emily
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Abbie must keep the lighthouse lights burning during the night while her father is away for errands. The water is high and Abbie is left caring for her 3 sisters, ailing mother, and 3 chickens. The book has half color and half black/white images which seems a little odd to me. The story can be introduced when talking about older days ex. 1850s or talking about lighthouses.
Kelly
Jan 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, children-s
From the back: "This is the exciting true story of Abbie Burgess, who single-handedly kept the lighthouse lamps lit during a tremendous storm off the coast of Maine in 1856." I enjoyed this easy reader that also happens to be a Reading Rainbow book. I'll be sure to check out more from the On My Own History series!
Lorna
May 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
A wonderful book about bravery and perseverance as a young girl helps to maintain a lighthouse during a powerful storm while her lightkeeper father goes for supplies. Suspenseful prose and great illustrations. Based on true events. Good as a read aloud, but also a good choice for emergent readers due to its relatively simple sentence structure.
Etta Mcquade
Nov 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Very nicely done for the younger child, and a true story, too, taken from Abbie Burgess own journal. The year is 1856 when lighthouse keepers did not have electricity, radar, nor radio to aid them in their important jobs.
Matthew
I'd swear that I've read about her before. This is good for younger readers, though I hesitate to call this full-fledged biography since most of it focused on one month of her life. The foreword was good though.
Audrey
This is an exciting true story of Abbie who needed to keep the lamps in the lighthouses burning while her father was away. She lived off the coast of Maine and a bad storm hits but she is about to keep up her responsibility despite the danger.
Ana Lupu
Sep 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The book Keep the Lights Burning Abbie is a very good book. I also like how she saved her chickens when the waves hit .Abbie had to find food for her family when the waves were everywhere but she had eggs from her chickens.
Kelli
This middle reader tells the story of a lighthouse keeper's daughter who must tend the lamps during a prolonged storm during her father's absence. An engaging story that takes the reader into the fascinating world of lighthouse families.
Jebbeh Fahnbulleh
Oct 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
I LIKE THIS BOOK because Abbie was brave and she always kept the lights burning. Abbie's dad always told her what she needed to do and she always did it. Abbie always knew what she was doing. This book is the best book ever.
  • Riding the Pony Express
  • Prairie School
  • The Long Way to a New Land
  • Clara and the Bookwagon
  • Third-Grade Detectives #1-2: The Clue of the Left-Handed Envelope & The Puzzle of the Pretty Pink Handkerchief
  • Lumber Camp Library
  • Sam the Minuteman
  • Pocahontas
  • Greg's Microscope
  • Ben Franklin and the Magic Squares
  • Pompeii . . . Buried Alive!
  • The Minstrel in the Tower
Peter Roop, a Wisconsin State Teacher of the Year, has been bringing books and children together for over 30 years. He has written extensively for Cricket and Cobblestone Magazines. He currently writes and speaks full-time. Last year he visited 10 states and talked with over 10,000 students! Connie Roop, a high school environmental science teacher, is a recipient of the Women Leaders in Education ...more

On My Own History (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • Allen Jay and the Underground Railroad (On My Own History)
  • An American Army of Two (On My Own History)
  • Bronco Charlie and the Pony Express
  • Buttons for General Washington (On My Own History)
  • Clouds of Terror (On My Own History)
  • The Copper Lady (On My Own History)
  • Cracking the Wall: The Struggles of the Little Rock Nine
  • Danger at Sand Cave (On My Own History)
  • The Daring Escape of Ellen Craft
  • The Day of the Black Blizzard (On My Own History)