Start by marking “Union with Christ: Reframing Theology and Ministry for the Church” as Want to Read:
Union with Christ: Reframing Theology and Ministry for the Church

Union with Christ: Reframing Theology and Ministry for the Church

Accomplished theologian J. Todd Billings recovers the biblical theme of union with Christ for today's church, making a fresh contribution to the theological discussion with important applications for theology and ministry. Drawing on Scripture and the thought of figures such as Augustine, Calvin, Bavinck, and Barth, Billings shows how a theology of union with Christ can ch ...more
Published November 1st 2011 by Baker Academic

To ask other readers questions about Union with Christ, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Union with Christ

Garry Geer
May 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book isn't perfect, but it came along at a great time for me. I've been reading a fair amount on the Union with Christ from other authors. Billings did a great job in teasing out some of applications without really stretching the text. He had a far more organic view on revelation and sanctification as it related to union with Christ.
Greg Bailey
Nov 21, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is not so much an explication of the doctrine of union with Christ as an examination of facets of it. Nevertheless, it was helpful for me in places, especially the sections on adoption and divine accommodation.
Scott
Apr 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Pretty good, though some chapters felt a little too long. It’s also interesting to see many of the issues for which the author retrieved the past are in some ways now dated. That being the case, still quite good.
Kris Lundgaard
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Worth lots of reflection, discussion--and action.
Michael
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great suggestions for the Church moving forward from a Reformed stance.
Dan Glover
J. Todd Billings has written an accessible, articulate and challenging book dealing with various doctrinal and practical implications of the Christian's adoption by God through the saving work of Christ and by the agency of the Spirit. While not an exhaustive exploration of the doctrine of union with Christ, this study does explore various aspects and implications of it. This is a work of theological retrieval, drawing on past and often forgotten sources, especially Calvin, to bring something lo ...more
Lisa
May 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
Cool book, introducing us to theologians of long ago, helping us to understand substantial truth, really fun. The only thing that kept me from rating it 4 stars was the last third of the book, which got all mumbo jumbo, to me. The author seemed to really want to make a point and got too complicated trying to make it. I LOVED the first quarter of the book, that was 5 stars. My quotes below are from that section.

This was very enlightening:
"In this parable, the day-laborer working in the countrysid
Kessia Reyne
Sep 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: school
Here Billings attempts a "theology of retrieval" with Reformed thinkers of the past, reframing, as the subtitle indicates, theology and mission in the theme of "union with Christ." This idea of union with Christ used to be much more prominent than in modern-day thinking, and reflects the "in Christ" motif prevalent in the New Testament.

I appreciated many of Billings' insights, particularly his beautiful exposition of adoption into Christ in the first chapter. His defense of "extensive [total] d
Brian Collins
Dec 31, 2016 rated it liked it
This is not so much a study of Union with Christ as an application of that that study to various areas of theology and practice. I found especially helpful his critiques of "incarnational ministry" and contextualization." He also includes a helpful discussion that demonstrates that apartheid developed in South Africa not because of orthodox Reformed theology but in the departure from it in an effort to be missional and contextualize the church's ministry. He quotes John de Gruchy: “Despite the f ...more
Robert D. Cornwall
This is a a Reformed exposition of the doctrine of union with Christ by a professor at Western Theological Seminary in Michigan. Billings seeks to use the image of "union with Christ" as a way of understanding how we as Christians might be engaged with God in the work of redemption, a work that is entirely in the hands of God, but through union Christians can engage in this work of grace. This is a deeply reformed book, rooted in Calvin and Barth. Those in the missional community may want to att ...more
Roy Howard
Aug 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Billings employs a creative theology of retrieval to address current concerns in the practice of ministry. Union with Christ becomes the focal reality - real participation in living union with the living Christ - that changes the conversation around such topics as incarnational ministry, social justice and the Lord’s Supper, and missional practices. He offers a sharp critique of "Modern Therapeutic Deism" and offers an alternative perspective that brings John Calvin's theology to life in astonis ...more
Travis Jamieson
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a phenomenal book. Billings work on the doctrine of union with Christ is thought provoking and convicting. Throughout this book, he has an emphasis on doing retrieval theology and I think he does this well, by primarily looking at Reformed theologians. I appreciated the chapter in which he put Calvin and Bavinck in conversation with one another. His critique of Incarnational ministry and his solution of Participation ministry was also very helpful. I encourage anyone who desires to delv ...more
Peter B.
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
This was a very good book as far as it went. It explains the Calvinist doctrine of union with Christ and gives a few implications of this doctrine for ministry. This doctrine was central to Calvin's thinking, and central to his conception of our salvation. Justification and sanctification both result from our union with Christ. Union and communion with God through Christ is the other side of the coin to the doctrine that man is enslaved to sin when he is apart from Christ (when he has no communi ...more
Nathan
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Billings has given us a strong example of the fruits of a theology of retrieval. By recovering past theologies from Calvin, Ursinus, Junius, Barth, and the Belhar Confession, he helps the reader view contemporary theological debates with new eyes. In an age that can't hold God's closeness and God's incomprehensibility together, Chapter 3 ("On Communion with the Incomprehensible God") is worth the price of the book alone. Highly recommended!
Zachary
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
Excellent book engaging a few prominent ministry models (such as the pervasive Incarnational model) and doctrines (exceptionally good chapter on total depravity and decently solid chapter touching on the Lord's Supper).

Definitely more on the academic side, but it would definitely benefit pastors and ministry leaders. In fact, I would challenge most pastors to read, if not at least engage, the concepts therein. Highly recommend it!
Kylie Hetherington
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Billings in his theology of retrieval of the great and mysterious doctrine of Union with Christ, not only retrieves a fulsome theology of Union, he liberates Calvin from cliches and challenges some of Western evangelical sacred cows like the notion of incarnational ministry. It is a thought provoking read on the two-fold grace of salvation and sanctification and how that should, according to Billings work it's way into community, justice and ministry. Worth the read!
Anthony Rodriguez
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
The first three chapters were terrific reading. Chapter four was surprising in its turn to more practical matters but ultimately very good. I found chapter five overly long and seemed to be a particular issue that probably mattered more to the author than most readers (the terminology of "incarnational ministry"). It was a good point, but took up too much space for such a small book. Overall, I enjoyed this book. I'd actually probably give it 3.5 stars, but why not just round up?
Andy
Apr 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Review forthcoming, as soon as I have access to a keyboard that isn't a phone

Here it is: http://www.pres-outlook.org/reviews3/...
Dennis
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very deep thinking

I read this book as part of a reading group. If I was reading it on my own I would not have finished it. Not by any means that it is poorly written. It is very academic and not a quick read. I will say that I appreciate the author's insights and I found chapter 5 to be my favorite.
Samuel Kassing
Sep 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a really good read. Dense but rich. I'd probably recommend reading a more accessible book on Union before you sink your teeth into this. Overall this was a great book and my understanding of adoption, mystery and "participation ministry" have been deepened because of it.
Alex Houston
Aug 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Todd Billings covers a subject that should shape the Christian's life, this is a major doctrine that is sadly neglected in much of the Church. Who we are in Christ is an implication of the gospel that needs to be focused on every day.
Robbyn Abedi
Jan 02, 2012 rated it liked it
I'd give it 3.5 stars if an option. A good but not great read on the fullness of Union with Christ. Regardless, a good starting point.
Ben Duncan
Oct 21, 2013 rated it liked it
The author wants to "retrieve" a more robust place of union with Christ in the theological formulations of Reformed Christianity. This book is not a bad book, but it is tedious.
Hannah Gourley
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
started out enjoying it...wandered too far into uninteresting topics
Matthew Lamaster
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very good!
David Luke
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
A stimulating read on the theme of union with Christ examining it from a biblical, theological and missiological perspective. A little laboured in places but very provocative.
Kathleen
Jan 01, 2016
Jacob Walker
Jan 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Goodreads Feedback: This topic has been closed to new comments. Doubled Date Read in Bookshelves Views 16 118 Apr 03, 2018 07:52AM
  • Christ, Baptism and the Lord's Supper: Recovering the Sacraments for Evangelical Worship
  • The Temple and the Church's Mission: A Biblical Theology of the Dwelling Place of God
  • Far as the Curse Is Found: The Covenant Story of Redemption
  • Liturgical Theology: The Church as Worshiping Community
  • One with Christ: An Evangelical Theology of Salvation
  • Given for You: Reclaiming Calvin's Doctrine of the Lord's Supper
  • Children of the Living God
  • Faith Speaking Understanding: Performing the Drama of Doctrine
  • Christian Mission in the Modern World
  • Kingdom through Covenant: A Biblical-Theological Understanding of the Covenants
  • Above All Earthly Pow'rs: Christ in a Postmodern World
  • Words of Life: Scripture as the Living and Active Word of God
  • Theology in the Context of World Christianity: How the Global Church Is Influencing the Way We Think about and Discuss Theology
  • The Mission of God's People: A Biblical Theology of the Church's Mission
  • Not the Way It's Supposed to Be: A Breviary of Sin
  • Resounding Truth: Christian Wisdom in the World of Music
  • The Next Evangelicalism: Freeing the Church from Western Cultural Captivity
  • Christ and Culture Revisited
J. Todd Billings (ThD, Harvard University Divinity School) is Gordon H. Girod Research Professor of Reformed Theology at Western Theological Seminary in Holland, Michigan, and an ordained minister in the Reformed Church in America. He is the author of several books, including the Christianity Today Book Award Winner Union with Christ and Calvin, Participation, and the Gift, winner of a 2009 John T ...more