Start by marking “Madam Secretary: A Biography of Madeleine Albright” as Want to Read:
Madam Secretary: A Biography of Madeleine Albright

Madam Secretary: A Biography of Madeleine Albright

No American envoy has ever burst on the diplomatic scene and grabbed center stage in the theater of foreign relations like Madeleine Albright. Navigating difficult terrain as few can, Thomas Blood provides exclusive interviews with, and revealing anecdotes from, politicians, friends, adversaries, and colleagues, including former Secretary of State Warren Christopher, Senat ...more
Published October 15th 1997 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published July 15th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Madam Secretary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Madam Secretary

Christian Engler
Sep 18, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The fact that this book even got published makes my head smart with incredulity; there is no political objectivity or critical analysis to be found anywhere on the printed pages nor is there any scholarly, in-depth research on the life of our country's first woman Secretary of State. In the author's eyes, if one can call him that, Madeline Albright is the goddess of the State Department, and that's that. This book is astounding in that it is so terrible; it is nothing but shoddy work -- a meande ...more
Elisabeth Ahlefeldt-Laurvig
Fantastic book - well written, a great way to go through several decades of World history seen from the point of view of an intelligent, educated and thoughtful person, with a lot of good old fashioned common sense. The term "service to my country" is used several times - if only we could hear politicians use this term more often - and mean it.
I wish the world had more politicians of Madeleine Albright's caliber. They are few and far between. Reading this book is highly reccomended.
Rosa
Feb 27, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even the toughest, smartest person has a history that made her who she is today. And this book sheds some light to it.
Karianne
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing woman. Very interesting and inspiring book.
Beverly Dowdell
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The level of her tenacity and courage to stand up and be counted initially in an environment which prioritized academic qualifications in a male dominated world and to be able to lead tough-minded politicians deserves close scrutiny. How did she do it? Written in the complexity of the pages and political background chatter is her ability to get them (particularly men) to treat her not only with respect but "listening attentively to her every word". "Madeleine was not only first foreign-born Amer ...more
Marti
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thought of this book as one might feel about medicine--good for you, but not exactly enjoyable. Possibly the longer memoir is more interesting. There were occasional parts that weren't too bad, but on the whole, it seemed to be a series of names of people who had no relation to me or what I have known of recent past history. The comment about the landing of a plane where the pilot had to head in at a 70o descent was interesting--the runway was too short! Nothing is said for pages about Mr. Alb ...more
Rachel
Jul 05, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
okay, i stopped half way through. i was so excited to read this book. it was just so dry and boring. i read biographies for a personal perspective on an exciting life. there were so many BORING history lessons. i understand they were a driving force and needed to be explained to show the influence on her life but...oh my gosh...if i wanted to read a full history on an event i would get a history book.

it was so dry. i feel asleep as soon as i tried. i guess i am disappointed in myself because i
Roxanne
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book. This lady is so smart. I really paid attention to the part where she and every person told President Bush not to send ground troops to Iraq but instead hit them with airstrikes from another country. She said if we sent troops on the ground we would never get out of there and we were there for 12 years and over 400o men and women were killed. She was very right because look what has happened, Iraq has gone to the terrorists so what good did we do. None.
Alexandra
I enjoyed discovering the female leader behind the title, understand her childhood, dreams, education and hard work towards personal mastery.
The book reveiles her vision behind the history events we mostly saw on TV. Also there are insights on other political world leaders. There are full details on major world events that she managed in her role, events that marked our modern history. Therefore this is also a good diplomacy book.
Rachel
May 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Madeleine's life was very interesting, but Blood showed a little bit too much affection for her. There was not a critical word about her in the book. In addition, there was no indication of which sources went with which facts, namely no footnotes. I can't decide if I liked the fact that it was not written in chronological order or not. Overall it was short and to the point, but very one sided.
Krista
Feb 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting and thorough bio of our first Secy of State with much insight into the influences that defined her, as well as understanding what it was like to be a career woman in the 60's and 70's. Author too fixated with Ms. Albright's Jewish heritage, that she supposedly did not know about.
Sally
Mar 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: absolutely
This was a wodnerful book about a wonderful lady. Madeleine Albright was the first secretary of state. this book gives a detailed account of her work in a predominantly male oriented position. She gets very personal and reveals her thoughts and feelings about being a mother and wife.
Ben
Feb 04, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just ok. I actually didn't like the fact that it was chronological. I think that made it confusing and not have a flow. I also would have liked more background history.
Micaela
Jul 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a look at one of the most fascinating political figures of our time -- beautifully executed and a great read.
Vikki Neil
One of the more interesting biographies.
Sally
Apr 19, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
The author skips around in Albright's life which is a bit confusing. I would have preferred to have learned more about her early life before she became U.N. ambassador and Secretary of State.
Hollie Mctiernan
Madeline Albright is one of my heroes and this is an excellent account of the events in her life from early childhood in Prague to the the US Secretary of State.
Becca
Oct 20, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found this to be really interesting both as a memoir of an impressive woman and as a look behind the scenes of an administration/current events that I was old enough to remember/be aware of
Kelly Jurgens
funny and fascinating!
Lisa
Jun 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this Madam is one awesome lady!
Becky Mentzer
I had to do a presentation on an immigrant who made a difference in our country and chose Madeleine Albright. She had a fascinating life and I was especially drawn to the portion of her really long memoir describing her early life and the years leading up to her role as our first female Secretary of State. However, she was very long-winded and this book was just too much...
Désirée
  • Presidential Campaigns: From George Washington to George W. Bush
  • The Lynne Truss Treasury: Columns and Three Comic Novels
  • Ellis Island Interviews: In Their Own Words
  • Letters of a Nation
  • Uncle John's Triumphant 20th Anniversary Bathroom Reader (Uncle John's Bathroom Reader, #20)
  • I am a Soldier, Too: The Jessica Lynch Story
  • Chicken Soup for the Sister's Soul: 101 Inspirational Stories about Sisters and Their Changing Relationships
  • The Hitler Book
  • Shadow: Five Presidents and the Legacy of Watergate
  • Decision in Normandy
  • The Nazis: A Warning from History
  • "Why Do I Love These People?": Understanding, Surviving, and Creating Your Own Family
  • It's Only a Game
  • The Lost Mother
  • Founding Myths: Stories That Hide Our Patriotic Past
  • The Excellent 11: Qualities Teachers and Parents Use to Motivate, Inspire, and Educate Children
  • Lilibet: An Intimate Portrait of Elizabeth II