Start by marking “Dining on Stones” as Want to Read:
Dining on Stones

Dining on Stones

3.17  ·  Rating details ·  156 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Dining on Stones is Iain Sinclair's sharp, edgy mystery of London and its environs.

Andrew Norton, poet, visionary and hack, is handed a mysterious package that sees him quit London and head out along the A13 on an as yet undefined quest. Holing up in a roadside hotel, unable to make sense of his search, he is haunted by ghosts: of the dead and the not-so dead; demanding wi
Published April 28th 2005 by Penguin (first published April 29th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Dining on Stones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dining on Stones

Amerynth
Nov 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
God awful.... that's my thought on Iain Sinclair's novel "Dining on Stones." It is absolutely everything I hate in contemporary fiction.

Written in lots of choppy sentences, the book attempts to be clever but fails. I can't even tell you what the story was about.... about halfway through, I read the blurb on the back cover and said, "Wait, what?" because I don't remember any of that happening. I don't remember anything happening except the narrator wandering around talking about a book he wrote
laut
I mostly found myself skimming this book, rather than really paying proper attention to it. It definitely seemed like yet another book on the 1001 list where the author was more interested in being clever than crafting an actually readable book.

Not my thing at all..
David Hallard
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sinclair moved house, or to be more precise, purchased a second dwelling on the coast; this is the product, in words, of the consequences. Reading like a clash of civilizations, two London-eye scale groupsets of eccentric cogs meet head-on, sometimes meshing, sometimes not. The reader, the derailleur in this mad marriage, prances nimbly to apprehend the leads into familiar Sinclair territory, aligning and formatting amid the deluge of data.

The Conradian companion to the text, Nostromo, is a dep
Gareth White
Mar 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Sinclair's novel is the perfect epitome of a non-novel. The psychogeographer is a dab hand at depicting the ruined landscapes which surround the outer zones of London, lands which are populated by equally ruined and morally ambiguous characters. The plot, however, is incredibly difficult to follow. The reader is presented with several uncertainties that you would probably need a few flowcharts to understand what is happening. We are also presented with multiple protagonists, schizophrenic narrat ...more
Sharlene
Oct 04, 2007 rated it it was ok
I'm not entirely sure what to make of it. It was interesting and the writing was pretty brilliant, but I just couldn't sustain the interest. And left it 1/3 in.
Roisin
Aug 17, 2013 rated it liked it
This book contains familiar themes involving a journey to the coast, which a writer takes in search of a package in the ownership of a woman, where music, the criminal underworld, dangerous places and hidden gems merge. Is the book that he trying to locate his writing or someone else's? You may join his journey, but might feel a bit disappointed. This book had some interesting journeys and places that may resonate, but not enough to keep the reader hooked in parts. He has written better books. B ...more
Sashinka
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 1001-books
I didn't enjoy this. It rambled along without a clear plot, without full character development and with only place as it's holding point. Which I didn't enjoy as it kept jumping from one part of the east end to the other within a paragraph. The East End isn't so small that you can get from Aldgate to Barking in 5 minutes. Not even on the tube, but certainly not on foot. Not something I'd recommend to others.
Kate S
May 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a strange journey. But I found myself enjoying it and regretting having to put it down. Definitely more style than substance, but engaging nonetheless. I wish I knew more about the physical space London occupies (and some of the history regarding this), but the ideas were understood regardless.
Deanne
When I started reading the book I recognised the building Sinclair talks about. I used to live in Hastings and walked past the apartment block which from the sea looks like a cruise liner. However after this I rapidly grew bored, didn't really like any of the characters and was relieved when I read the last page. Fortunately it was from the library so I could give it back.
Kenneth
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Dave
Mar 01, 2015 rated it did not like it
A struggle to get through from start to finish, as if the author intentionally made it indigestible to match the possible pun in the title.
Yas
Eugh....the first couple of pages were enough to put me off...
Janeh227
Found this book - which I suppose was a crime & travel novel, to be very long and very tedious. The stream of consciousness writing was difficult to interpret.
Jonathan
Jun 29, 2007 rated it liked it
It is forever associated for me with sharing a train compartment with three strangers, on the way to Stockholm from Ostersund. I guess the book was okay.
Jonathan Norton
  • Celestial Harmonies
  • An Obedient Father
  • The Heart of Redness
  • The Colour
Iain Sinclair is a British writer and film maker. Much of his work is rooted in London, most recently within the influences of psychogeography.

Sinclair's education includes studies at Trinity College, Dublin, where he edited Icarus, the Courtauld Institute of Art (University of London), and the London School of Film Technique (now the London Film School).

His early work was mostly poetry, much of i
More about Iain Sinclair...