Start by marking “Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports” as Want to Read:
Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports

Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports

In this guide, Rick Steves focuses on some of the grandest sights in Europe. As always, he has a plan to help you have a meaningful cultural experience while you're there—even with just a few hours in port.

Inside you'll find one-day itineraries for sightseeing at or near the major Mediterranean ports of call, including:
Barcelona, Marseille, Toulon, Nice,
Published June 28th 2011 by Rick Steves

To ask other readers questions about Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports

Start your review of Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports
Kristine
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was extremely helpful in planning my recent Mediterranean Cruise and I used it quite a bit in my planning. I purchased it for my kindle but I would recommend buying a physical copy because it is much easier to navigate. It was a very helpful resource.
Jenny
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Used this book for the Mediterranean cruise I just took. I've never read a Rick Steves book before (this was my first trip to Europe) but a few of my friends highly recommended his work. I saw him talk at a travel show once before and he seemed very knowledgable.

The book covered all of the stops the cruise made. It was great! The cruise covered Spain, France, Italy, Greece, and Turkey. The book described how to navigate from the ports to areas of interest, such as taxi costs, directi
Lori
Dec 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone cruising the Mediterranean
Rick Steves is my favorite travel author when I'm looking for specific, logistical information related to travel. This book is no exception. Though he has been a long-time reluctant cruiser, he has finally stepped into this market and noticed the benefit of cruising - specifically, the ability to see a broad number of sights in a limited amount of time without spending hours packing and unpacking and worrying about the logistics of getting from one place to the other. Here, he gives a fair asses ...more
Beth
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
This book was a huge help in planning for a Mediterranean cruise I'm taking in a few months. Unfortunately it didn't have ALL the ports I need (it was missing Sicily, Malta, and the smaller port of Chania on Crete), but it was still a big help for all the other ports I'll be visiting.

There's a whole bunch of really helpful logistical information such as where exactly the ships dock in each port and how far from town and the attractions you will be, and then a lot of Rick's no-nonsens
Phil Sacks
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A must for first-time cruise travelers. Includes an honest overview of procedures, pros and cons, different cruise lines, packing lists, budgets, and what to expect while aboard ship. It is especially focused on visitors who have limited time in each city, and it can actually save time and money to use his guides rather than relying on expensive excursions offered by the cruise lines. Steves had good advice about how to avoid long queues at top attractions, when to take public transit, taxis, or ...more
Carolyn Smith Cutts
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great tool to use for planning ahead for our 10-city tour in June of 2014. However, once IN Europe and using it for specifics, I began to notice the age of this edition. For example, Steves recommends a dessert walk in Barcelona - 3 stops near eachother just off Las Ramblas that offer churros & hot chocolate, candy, etc. In only 1 of the spots were we able to find what he suggested. We were disappointed to find the other 2 either don't have what he suggested or only make it at certain times. ...more
Marti
Apr 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
An easy-to-read, easy-to-use travel guide! It provides a helpful overview of cruising in general for newbies, with advice on "what to do" and "what NOT to do" (e.g., tips on safety, dining, tipping). It provides recommendations for which sites are "must-see" and which sites can be skipped--useful advice when you have less than a day in each destination. The guide also provides detailed and easy-to-follow practical information on how to get around in port...My family and I took a water taxi from ...more
Kat
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013, 5-star-books
A superb guide to some of the most common Mediterranean cruise destinations. The book contains lots of useful information and advice for travellers, including how to get from the cruise port to the sights and destinations that you might wish to explore. There are good walking guides of popular destinations, including Florence and Rome, that would be useful to any traveller, not just those on a cruise. I'll be keeping my eyes open for more of Rick Steves's books; this one was just that helpful.
Shantel
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shantels-books
This book was very informative and helpful. We often used his self-guided tours from the book instead of paying for expensive shore excursions. The only excursion we paid for on our 11 day Mediterranean cruise was the Amalfi coast, and Rick Steves recommended that too. We will continue to use Rick Steves in future European vacations.
Jim Blessing
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
My wife and I did a Norway cruise last year and I am wanting to try a Mediterranean cruise in the future. Common to other Rick Steves books, this one provided precise, needed information to make decisions on the most interesting ports of call.
T
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I would recommend this book to anyone taking a Mediterranean cruise. It will save you so much time, money, and frustration to read this before you travel. It lays out each city in an easy to read and use on the go format.
Nina
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great resource but definitely in need of an update. Don't trust what it says about hours or prices, just use it to create a general plan and then look at the details on the Internet. The Acropolis and Venice Grand Canal audio guides are my favorites.
Atlantis
Apr 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Great book, especially for a new traveler-lots of good advice and tips! It gave me a more informative vacation! :-)
Jonathan
Sep 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far so good.
Ivy
May 05, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Don’t order digital.
Tatjana
You have to do so much cross referencing on the cruise, it's almost useless.
Deborah Pommer
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
I just came back from a 21 day Mediterranean cruise. I took Rick's book with me and used it everyday!
Tracey
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Maybe I'll feel differently about this book after the trip, but this book really has me excited about going!
Jose Antonio
Apr 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great photos anf wonderfu content.
Terry
Aug 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel
I cannot fathom traveling all the way to Europe on a cruise ship and then not having this book. Having a Rick guide with you is like having an all day expert guide.... for $15!!!
Kristin
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel, own-it
Excellent info. Step by step directions on getting from cruise port to sites, lists lots of options, train schedules when possible. Just an overall excellent source of information.
Madeline Ramos
Sep 28, 2016
Pauline Chapman
Jul 08, 2014
Goodreads Librari...: Says ASIN Already Exists 3 21 Sep 01, 2014 11:07PM

• Fodor's Essential New Zealand (Full-color Travel Guide)
  • How I Paint: Secrets of a Sunday Painter
  • Slow Boat to the Bahamas
  • The Ploughmen
  • Hand Dyed: A Modern Guide to Dyeing in Brilliant Color for You and Your Home
  • The Boat Galley Cookbook: 800 Everyday Recipes and Essential Tips for Cooking Aboard: 800 Everyday Recipes and Essential Tips for Cooking Aboard
  • Couture Sewing Techniques
  • Last Bus to Wisdom
  • Younger Next Year: A Guide to Living Like 50 Until You're 80 and Beyond
  • Berlitz Language: West European Phrase Book & Dictionary: French, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Portuguese, Greek, Turkish
  • The History of Spain: Land on a Crossroad
  • Barcelona
  • Fervent: A Woman's Battle Plan to Serious, Specific and Strategic Prayer
  • Falling for my Brother's Best Friend (The Baileys #4)
  • Beneath These Shadows (Beneath, #6)
  • I Think I Might Want You (Love Sisters Book 3)
  • A Natural Transition
  • I Think I Might Love You (Love Sisters Book 1)
Richard "Rick" Steves is an American author and television personality on European travel. He is the host of a public television series, and a public radio travel show, and the author of many travel guidebooks and autobiographies.