Start by marking “Sleepers (The Swarm Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sleepers (The Swarm Trilogy, #1)

Sleepers (The Swarm #1)

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  1,246 Ratings  ·  151 Reviews
An adoptee raised in a foreign land, sixteen-year-old Lianne was content with her life as handmaiden to the queen, until a spell cast on her at birth activated. Now she's filled with uncontrollable rage and access to magic she thought had been bled from her people years ago. Even her years of secret training in elite hand-to-hand combat and meditation can’t calm the fires ...more
Published July 20th 2011 by DarkSide Publishing (first published January 13th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Sleepers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleepers

Evgeny
Aug 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Two kingdoms fought a war and one lost - one of the fighters always does. Three kids from the loser side were taken to be raised in the royal court as a sign of peace between two nations. Lianne - the main heroine - is one of these kids. She grew up to be a handmaiden to the queen of victors. She was in love with a boy (another one of the trio) while all but ignoring the last taken boy who happened to be somewhat handicapped as a result of an accident.

Nothing out of the ordinary keeps happening
MLE
Aug 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: yad
Poor storytelling, world building, and character development made this story hard for me to get all the way through. Too many developments seem based on a single conversations, or action, or seem to come out of the blue. The main character comes across as flighty, insecure, and weak instead of strong and capable.
Lauren
Sleepers is a political tale set in a fictional world of Fithia. Lianne is one of three teenagers who were adopted from the losers of war years ago. The Dalagans are redhaired while the Fithians are all round and dark haired.

Lianne is a maid to the queen whom is her secret best friend. Their king is the Henry VIII sort who presides over executions and has his wives executed.
On her sixteen birthday, she discovers a hidden power from her homeland. The Fithians claimed that Bryden, Lianne and Kell
Amelia
Sleepers is an enjoyable middle-of-the-range freebie YA novel. It has a very similar tone to Anathema and in many senses is that book's big sister. Although both have the potential to be developed into much heavier/more adult works because of their subject matter (Anathema - slavery, Sleepers - betrayal, rebellion, execution, forced-marriage and associated rape) they are kept fairly light and only touch on these issues - presumably because of the age of the audience (Anathema, I'd say would be s ...more
Tayla Robichaud
Oct 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
This book had a great plot and storyline however...
It was waaaaayyy too fast.
It wasn't even long enough for me to actually develop feelings for the characters.
I wanted to be happy or sad for events that took place but it was way too fast I couldn't. I like I would have if there was more background to the story and each character. And the scenes to be slower.

It really does have such potential
Hmr28
Apr 07, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Plot?

non-existent. world building ...non-existent... character development...non existent. All around this was a very poor work. That will teach me not to buy based on a beautiful cover!
Molly
May 09, 2012 rated it did not like it
Oh my god, this was painful. it read like bad fanfiction.
Amanda
Sep 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Original review: http://onabookbender.com/2012/01/18/r...

When I read books, I try to read from the perspective of a reader and not from an English teacher’s perspective, or even an editor’s perspective. Sometimes I fail. Sleepers was one of those books that I couldn’t stop my inner editor from coming out. There were a lot of simple and compound sentence constructions, and I felt this often made the narration stilted. The bulk of the story takes place through dialogue between characters or throug
Stephanie
Jun 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Exactly how does one write a review for a book that has them in the corner of their room, rocking back and forth, sucking their thumb . . uncertain of everything they have ever known? (ok, everything they though they knew/understood about the book they were reading)

Let me say this:
I AM SUPER HAPPY, SUPER GLAD THIS IS THE FIRST BOOK OF A TRILOGY!!!!!

I got this book yesterday and I began reading it last night. By the end of chapter one I was seriously HOOKED! This isn't a good thing to have happen
Sleepers (The Swarm Trilogy, #1) Lianne was one of three babies given by her defeated homeland to the land of Fithia as a peace offering after a great war. All her life she has been raised to believe that her homeland is magic less, defeated and weak, until her 16th birthday when a spell placed on Lianne as a baby ends and she discovers that much she has believed to be the truth is actually a lie.

With those supposed to guide her through her awakening dead, she must rely on fellow adoptees Kella
Erin Danzer
Aug 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this is the second book by the wonderfully talented ladies at DarkSide Publishing that I've finished today. ;)

Anyway, the review.... WOW! This was a mind blowing experience. I always love reading anything from the girls at DSP because I know I will be entertained with a quality read. Sleepers was no different. I spent the first part of the novel falling as in love with Kellan as Lianne had, but then Bryden... well, Bryden was the surprise I wasn't expecting. To be torn between two equally w
Miranda
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dystopian
Having read The Initiate as well as the Cloud Prophet Trilogy, I went into Sleepers with expectations, which, in general, I try to avoid doing, and because of this, was a little let down. The dialogue was clunky, often generic, and even more often unrealistic. At times it seemed Jensen was going for a period historical feel, and at others, minus the smartphones and emoticons, I felt as if I was reading a contemporary novel.

As far as the story goes, stepping away from the writing altogether, it
Mandy (I Read Indie) Anderson
My take...
Sleepers is a story about friendship and the things we would do for those we love and trust. It is about being true to who you really are and not letting anyone tell you otherwise. Sleepers is about trying to figure out what is right in a world that is so wrong. Sleepers is all of this and so much more.

To me, Sleepers is everything a book should be. It had an incredible storyline with hidden secrets throughout, amazing characters that you felt a need to protect and comfort, and it all
Jackie
Jun 23, 2012 rated it did not like it
I found myself so exasperated by the poor storytelling in this book that I hardly read the last few chapters - only enough to understand how the book ended. The character development can't even be called "development", and all the story information is plainly and obviously served to the reader on a dull platter. The concept/plot is interesting, but it seems that the author focused so much on its progression and neglected both the characters and the beauty of subtlety and story-telling.
Catherine Gordon
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Interesting idea, the main character flip flops between two men to the extent you want to give her a good shake. The story is not black and white, with the heroine's anger taking over what is right at one point. Some complexity around how emotions can own us and perceptions, with interesting concepts for parents whose teenage children have turned into different people being explored here! Reasonably enjoyable read and I did like the ending. Worth a read.
Mindy
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
You can find my review on my blog HERE
Cindy
Oct 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: love-triangle
*May contain spoilers*

“...magic is evil and led to our downfall. We should never practice it again or face the wrath of their army.”

“I fell asleep afraid.
I woke up with hatred in my heart.”

Sleepers is the first book in the Swarm Trilogy.
I liked this one more than I liked Anathema.

Lianne, Kellan, and Bryden are Dalagans who were adopted by Fithians.
Fithia is ruled by King Rotlar and Queen Magaretta, aka Mags.
Lianne is one of their servants.
It is the day before Lianne's 16th birthday. This particu
Keith Bornmann
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating

The characters are lovable, the storyline is unpredictable, the main character has great character, I look forward to reading the next book

The story is clean enough for anyone to read. There is no graphic sex and foul language is minimal if there is any at all. There is a little bit of violence but it’s not graphic.
Samantha
Dec 24, 2017 rated it did not like it
Gave up. Zero depth and many actions/plans/beliefs based on nothing at all. Very childish in style.
Aida Ausum
I received a free copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Many thanks to the author Megg Jensen and the publisher, DarkSide Publishing.

In the world of Sleepers, the first book in The Swarm Trilogy by Megg Jensen, there are people with fiery red hair, piercing blue eyes and magic and on the other hand there’s… the not-so-cool average folk. For years, there has been tension between the Fithians and the Dalagan – the Fithians being your average human folk and the Dalagan
Jamie Kline
Aug 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-for-review
1) Character Development: It's abundantly clear from the very beginning that the main character, Lianne, is one tough chick. She's able to fight better than anyone she knows, although this is a secret she must keep quiet from everyone but her fellow Dalagans (a bit of background: her people are called Dalagans and they gifted Lianne to the Fithians to ensure peace). I really liked how strong she was, but I felt like she was insanely naive at times, to the point that I was shaking my head; althou ...more
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
Gave up 40% in because it's undeveloped trope city and the book is just plain boring.
Liz at Fictional Candy
Sep 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-review
I didn’t take many notes on this book, because I could barely put it down! It was a superb read, and I can’t wait to read Book Two!

Lianne is a handmaiden to the queen of Fithia, Mags. But Mags is also a friend, one of the few that Lianne really has. Of course there’s her boyfriend, Kellan, and the other adoptee into Fithia, Bryden. But that’s about it. She’s never really been a part of the society she lived in from the time she was a baby, and never knowing her own homeland, she was almost alone
Tash
Sep 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Reviewed for Confessions From Romaholics

To see review at Confessions

This is the first of the Swarming Trilogy that follows Lianne as she discovers her true destiny. Nearly sixteen year ago, she and two boys where sent by her people, the Fithians, to be raised by their conquerors, the Dalagans, as part of a greater plan. She has grown up as the handmaiden to the queen and has become close friends with Mags, the queen, and adores her youngest son. She’s content with her life despite everyone knowi
Theresa Jones
Jun 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book starts right into the action. There is never any downtime. From the moment I opened the book, until the end, I couldn’t put it down. There is action, romance, Twists and turns, and everything you want in a novel. The writing was very visual and gripping. I felt like I was experiencing it with the characters.

Plot: The plot was unique and set in a fantasy world where magic was reality, though it felt like the past. When I started reading it, I didn’t really know what the book was about.
Ash
My copy of Sleepers by Megg Jensen is based on an e-book that I was sent by the author in exchange for a fair and honest review. The following is that honest review and was in no way influenced.

Goodreads Summary: ""

Despite owning an e-book copy of Anathema that I scored awhile back for free off of Amazon Sleepers was my first Megg Jensen book and what an introduction to her it was.

Since I was a little girl I've always rooted for the underdogs, the person [or people] that aren't widely regarded
Andrea
Jul 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Sleepers is the story of Lianne, one of three people who were given to the enemy at birth as a peace offering. Lianne is a servant to the queen, and her best friend. Upon her sixteenth birthday, Lianne experiences an Awakening, learning that she possesses the magic of her people, once thought lost. With magic also comes rage, and Lianne must struggle to control it, or be taken over. In addition to all this, she must choose between Kellan and Bryden, fellow adoptees. Each of whom want Lianne to f ...more
Aimeekay
Apr 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sleepers left me a little torn. The majority of the book I liked.

For example I liked Lianne. You can see her grow throughout the book as she realizes her magic and where it could take her. I also liked Mags. Usually I have issues with characters who cheat. But I felt sorry for Mags, and she was so pure about it. (I know that sounds weird, but read the book and you'll understand)
I was intrigued by the story. The idea of three babies being sent on a mission to overthrow their oppressors, but know
Nicole Sweeney
Oct 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Review originally posted on The Bibliophile Chronicles

*I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review.*

This is the first book in a three part series entitled The Swarm. Sleepers follows the story of a young girl named Lianne, taken from her homeland at birth to be a servant to the queen. On her birthday she becomes ‘activated’ meaning she can access her magic, and the rage she feels to the conquering kingdom.

This was a quick and interesting little tale full of magic and drama. I
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Feb 15, 2015 10:43AM
  • The Discovery (Pyxis, #1)
  • The Book of Lost Souls (Ivy MacTavish, #1)
  • Lover's Betrayal (Misfits of the Lore, #1)
  • Bridger (Bridger, #1)
  • Loramendi's Story
  • Rise of the Demons (Oceans of Red #1)
  • Into the Shadows (Into the Shadows, #1)
  • Set in Stone
  • Sundial
  • The Pearl Savage (Savage, #1)
  • Amaranth (Resistance, #1)
  • Destruction from Twins (Lor Mandela, #1)
  • War of the Witch (Legacies of Talimura, #1)
  • The Fate of Destiny (Fates, #1)
  • Coexist (Keegan's Chronicles, #1)
  • Night Marchers (Night Marchers, #1)
  • Taken (Channie, #2)
  • Rise from Darkness (Battle for Souls, #1)
Megg Jensen is a two-time USA Today bestselling author of epic fantasy.

No stranger to top ten lists on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and the iBookstore, Megg's novels have garnered millions of downloads, attracting fans from all over the world.

She lives in Chicago with her husband, kids, and two insane miniature schnauzers.
More about Megg Jensen...

The Swarm (3 books)
  • Afterlife (The Swarm Trilogy, #2)
  • The Sundering (The Swarm Trilogy, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Ladies of Mandrigyn (Sun Wolf and Starhawk, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Dreamsongs. Volume I (Dreamsongs, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Lethal Velocity : A Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Second Ship (The Rho Agenda, #1)