Start by marking “The Woman's Dress For Success Book” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Woman's Dress For ...

John T. Molloy

The Woman's Dress For Success Book

Paperback
Published September 1st 1978 by Warner Books (NY) (first published January 1st 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Woman's Dress For Success Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Woman's Dress For Success Book

Neil Hepworth
This is an impossible book to give stars to. A) It's practical fashion advice from the 1970's for women, B) It's all research based advice, and the research seems legit, but who knows, and C) - the reason I read the book - It's occasionally hysterical for its 1970 views on women in the workforce and race, although when it was published I'm sure it was a very forward thinking book. Seriously.

Anywho, now that I've stepped about as far out of my comfort zone as I've ever been, it's time to go read
Jordan Rivera
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the book for professional dress for success. This was required reading for paralegal school and I'm SO glad it was!!
Audry
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is about how to dress to be taken as an executive in business. Not offensive at all. First impressions are important, and how you dress does determine how you are perceived.

The author used different business clothes on women, and then asked business executives what they thought the type of job the woman held.

In one study, he had the women who worked as executives dress differently and note how they were treated by their men peers and subordinates. About halfway, many of the women sto
'ro Maina
Dec 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who needs a GOOD laugh
This book is absolutely HYSTERICAL!!

Based on intensive/extensive "scientific research," the author details the proper way for women to dress and comport themselves in the workplace...for the late 70's and early 80's!!!! (The book was originally pub'd in '78 - although a "New Women's Dress for Success" was released in '96).

The tone the author takes (and the seriousness with which he treats his topic) had me laughing my ass off, repeatedly.

Granted, a LOT of what he writes is TOTALLY offensive and
Rick
Feb 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny and sad at the same time. Of course, we are looking back 35 years at how a man thought a woman should dress for success in business. While it claims to have some foundation in science - the author states that he conducted a research study - this sexist book certainly has little place in today's business world. The chapter titles tell it all: Introduction - The Mistakes Women Make and How to Correct Them; 1 - Instant Clothing Power for the Businesswoman; 2 - The Success Suit; 3 - Packaging ...more
Margot Note
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was brilliant. I wish it was longer, had more illustrations, and was updated to 2014. Although others will scoff, this book is one of the most practical and feminist books I've ever read.

"Women dress for failure because they make three mistakes.
1) They let the fashion industry influence their choice of business clothes.
2) They often still view themselves mainly as sex objects.
3) They let their socioeconomic background influence their choice of clothing" (16).

Carol Schultz
Jan 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Women often wonder why they are not taken seriously in business. It may have much to do with how they dress while on the job. Hard to be valued for your intellegence when everyone is looking at your chest. I read the original but there is a newer version out.
Sara
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
It gets two stars for capturing the sexism running rampant throughout the business world at the time it was written. But most of the book is laughable in the way it is written and what advice it focuses on giving.
Kaethe Douglas
Okay, everyone remembers those funny suits and big floppy bows. But how many women today would love the simplicity of dressing in a business uniform?
Elizabeth