Start by marking “Jim Thompson: The Unsolved Myst” as Want to Read:
Jim Thompson: The Unsolved Myst

Jim Thompson: The Unsolved Myst

On Easter Day, 1967, American businessmen and founder of the modern Thai silk industry James H. W. Thompson disappeared while supposedly on a stroll in the jungle-clad Cameron Highlands in Central Malaysia. Neither Jim Thompson nor his remains has ever been found.Some twenty years earlier Jim Thompson had abandoned his former life to embark on an exotic business career in ...more
Published July 5th 2007 by Editions Didier Millet (first published December 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Jim Thompson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jim Thompson

Terri ducay
Dec 12, 2017 rated it liked it
For those unfamiliar with Jim Thompson, he is the person who revived the silk industry in Thailand. His silk items are works of art. His house stills stand and his stores still flourish. I wanted to know who an American came to love Thailand, crafted art and the more about his mysterious death.
The first part of the book was good, but the later part, myths about what happened to him, were a bit redundant.
-Sakura-
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book is about not only Jim Thompsons mystery but also his life.

I found Thompson's life interesting but the way the author wrote it made me want to bang my head against a wall ten times, scream in frustration so loudly that it would wake the neighborhood and punch a cushion with extra fluff. ( these are of course exaggerations)

The first few chapters were necessary which was good. The middle was also good. The ending however just went on and on and on and on and on and on and on. OH MY GOODN
Raymond
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
As some other reviewers have stated, there is a ton of extra background for context in this book. I found the background to be quite helpful in understanding the story.

I only decided to read this book after visiting the Jim Thompson museum and I'm glad I did. He sure was an interesting man and this was a great read on all of the different theories of how he might have disappeared.
Yvonne
Nov 01, 2012 rated it liked it
What happened to Jim Thompson the ex pat who settled in Thailand and helped revive the silk industry and purchased a wealth of art to save for the nation. His body was never found and his mysterious disappearance continues to leave many unanswered questions. This book has brilliantly attempted to find answers but towards the end tended to be reptitious.
Kyle
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Goodreads provides reviewers with the option to "Hide entire review because of spoilers". This is a purely academic consideration in review of the work at hand. Jim Thompson vanished, seemingly into thin air. That is all we know. Was he abducted by the CIA in connection with his purported involvement with the escalating Vietnam conflict? Despite his experience and familiarity with the jungle, did he simply get lost or fall victim to the otherwise non-confrontational jungle-dwelling highlander na ...more
Ryan
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well written semi-biography of the renowned business tycoon. To this day the name Jim Thompson is synonymous with Thai silk and still a premium brand for luxury fashion, even if the man himself has been gone for more than half a century. The book is split into two parts, the first detailing Thompson's journey to Thailand post WW2, his first forays in the hotel business and how he came to create the silk business that made his fortune. Truly a larger than life character, he was one of the most ...more
Patrick McCoy
The Jim Thompson mystery, how a successful American silk manufacturer disappeared in the wilds of Malaysia was probably one of the first things I read in a guidebook about Thailand before visiting. So my first vacation while on the JET program was in Thailand and it was then that I first visited the beautiful traditional Thai-style Jim Thompson House preserved in Bangkok by the river. On subsequent return visits I often stop by to sit at the lotus pond of the cafe. I finally decided to read Will ...more
Kelly Cooper
May 02, 2019 rated it liked it
I absolutely loved reading the story, especially being American and living in Thailand. I just wish we knew what actually happened to him! Definitely read this if you're looking for a mysterious story, but don't expect it to be written in that style. It's a straightforward read, pretty dry at times, actually, with several writing errors throughout. Even so, it held my attention to the end.
Jennifer Roach
Apr 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Very interested in the subject material after getting to visit the Jim Thompson house in Bangkok. Wish I would have be read this before! There are many details, it's not always presented chronologically, not always presented by topic, so it could get a bit confusing. However, enjoyed learning a good deal about Jim Thompson.
Ruben M.
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Learned so much about Jim and his personal life. Such a great read, made me come to couple possible conclusions on his disappearance.
Only those who know the Jim Thompson story should read, otherwise it may be boring for you.
Emily
Aug 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Read this over my vacation in Thailand. Bought this book off a visit from Jim Thompson home. Interesting how a man has received such a unique status in the Thai society.
Tim Laven
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
laura o'neill
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very good
Interesting
Gaspard
Apr 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Jim Thompson: The Unsolved Mystery by William Warren is a book on Thompson's private life and what he has accomplished over the years. The book starts with a small introduction of his disappearance then the book talks about his early life, slowly building itself back up to the moment of the disappearance. The introduction of his disappearance starts with the Cameron Highlands and the history of the area. It is full of interesting facts and information about the area such as, the Cameron Highland ...more
Howard
Mar 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Before a friend lent me this book I had never heard of its author, WIlliam Warren, and was thus sceptical as to what expect. Such a difficult story to tell, given the publicity surrounding Thompson's disappearance -- and the rumours, counter-rumours, conspiracy theories, gossip and general chit-chat that have flowed abundantly from Thompson's friends and acquaintances, strangers, journalists, mystics and charlatans over the almost 50 years since that fateful day of Easter Sunday, 1967.

Warren has
Saturday's Child
Jan 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Did Jim Thompson simply loose his way when he was out taking a walk in a jungle area of the Cameron Highlands? Was he taken by a tiger, a tribe of elusive aborigines or did the CIA have something to do with his disappearance? When the American businessman and founder of the modern Thai silk industry vanished in 1967 he became the subject of a mystery that to date has not yet been solved. This book is an interesting read for anyone who has visited the Jim Thompson House in Bangkok or enjoy readin ...more
William
Sep 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
Jim Thompson, a former WWII OSS agent of IndoChina would later reside in Thailand, enthralled by it's culture and life-style became a very successful buinessman in the silk industry. The author who knew him personally, researches and analyzes each of the possible causes for Jim's disappearance. Whether kidnapped for interrogation by the communist of Indochina or the fatality of one of the numerous tiger pits - we'll never know.
Papaparsons
May 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Interesting story. The man just disappeared one day. He was well known throughout Asia and the United States. More than 40 years later, there are absolutely no clues---but lots of theories. I particularly enjoyed reading this story since we visited his home in Bangkok. A true story.
Trisha Andrews
Very interesting account of the silk executive Jim Thompson in Thailand who mysteriously disappeared in 1967 in the Cameron Highlands of the Malaysian peninsula. If you like legends, conspiracy theories and real life drama, it's a terrific read.
Yumiko
Dec 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Interesting that Jim Thompson reinvented himself so many times in his life -- from a popular architect in NY (despite his lack of a degree) to silk merchant in Thailand to Thai art collector.
Fiona
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well written book about the life and disappearance of Jim Thomson. Worth reading.
James
Apr 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating man, fascinating story, and a fascinating mystery never solved.
Jon Kapp
Aug 07, 2012 rated it liked it
The man behind the Thai silk revival (sic). I good read that details his life(s?) and suggests theories of his disappearance/death.
Elsbeth

• Sightseeing
  • Very Thai: Everyday Popular Culture
  • Exterminate All the Brutes; and Desert Divers
  • Nowhere Like Home: Misadventures in a Changing World
  • Beyond the Last Village: A Journey Of Discovery In Asia's Forbidden Wilderness
  • Peter Freuchen's Book of the Eskimos
  • A Tale from Bali
  • The Long Day Wanes: A Malayan Trilogy
  • Bamboo Palace: Discovering the Lost Dynasty of Laos
  • The Last River: The Tragic Race for Shangri-la
  • Sunk Without a Sound: The Tragic Colorado River Honeymoon of Glen and Bessie Hyde
  • The Brother: The Untold Story of Atomic Spy David Greenglass and How He Sent His Sister, Ethel Rosenberg, to the Electric Chair
  • Letters from Thailand