Start by marking “Diane: A Signature Life: My Adventures in Fashion, Business, and Life” as Want to Read:
Diane: A Signature Life: My Adventures in Fashion, Business, and Life

Diane: A Signature Life: My Adventures in Fashion, Business, and Life

Diane is the frank and compelling story of an extraordinary woman and her adventures in fashion, business, and life. "Most fairy tales end with the girl marrying the prince. That's where mine began", says Diane Von Furstenberg. She didn't have to work, but she did. She lived the American Dream before she was thirty, building a multimillion-dollar fashion empire while raisi ...more
Published November 4th 1998 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Diane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diane

Meghan
Jul 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
Want to hear about all her famous "good" and "dear" friends?! Then this is the book for you
Gabrielle Adams
I received this book through a work-subsidized women in business group, and in the introduction to this book, Ms Furstenburg expresses her hope that readers will be inspired by her account, so my expectations were perhaps misguided when I began reading this book. Inspiration for what, I wonder? To be born and marry into enormous privilege? To launch an entrepreneurial career that, despite lack of polish or preparation, succeeds due to elitist connections and a readymade public persona?

The synops
Kathleen Sams
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this book quickly and enjoyed it, but felt a bit puzzled by the author. Diane was an amazing success in her 20s and reinvented her business as she approached her 50s, after damaging her brand's reputation through licensing deals. She thanks her first husband, Prince Egon Von Furstenberg, for the name and connections that helped her launch her dress business. I know that she worked very hard and connected with women, which made them want her products, but she comes across as naive about bu ...more
antonella litta
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La autobiografia di una donna molto forte e creativa che ha vissuto la vita fino in fondo . L’ultima parte dedicata ai successi lavorativi è molto noiosa e troppo autocelebrativa, in contrasto con i primi due terzi del libro dove con uno stile appassionato la stilista ha raccontato la storia della sua famiglia e dei suoi amori.
Amanda
Oct 03, 2011 rated it liked it
I love reading memoirs, mainly because memoirs are not bios, but the stories the author wants to tell. Naturally, memoirs are usually happier endings, better memories and more outrageous stories.

This one is by Diane von Furstenberg. Her wrap dress and shirt dress made her a fashion icon and she details how she got to live out the American dream. She was born in Belgium in 1946 (same year as my mom!) and she is the daughter of an Holocaust survivor. Her parents split and she ended up spending tim
Linda
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I remembered seeing magazines in the 60's with pictures of Studio 54 with Halston, Truman Capote, Liza Minelli and Diane Von Furstenberg. I always thought her exotic looks and mysterious accent were fascinating. This book covers her life from childhood to 1997 in a very open way. From her mother's survival of the Nazi death camps, to Diane's European upbringing, one theme remains; independence. Her mother quotes the writer LaFontaine who said, " Help thyself; Heaven will help Thee." It is fascin ...more
Maria
Oct 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love DVF and everything she & the brand she has (re)built stand for. I can't believe it took me so long to read her autobiography. She describes in the foreword the fact that she shares very little about her very personal life. That enigma quality remains through the book. You learn a lot, but not quite everything. However I like that. She really has lived an extraordinary life, experienced so much, taken risks, loved deeply, been hurt, stayed true to herself (or what she thought was herse ...more
Phair
This ended up being something of a trip down memory lane as DVF is around the same age as I , although she certainly traveled in much loftier circles. Still, the many cultural and historical references she included brought back all sorts of recollections. Not the best memoir I've read as there is a bit too much name-dropping and 'just the facts, ma'am' style. I'd have like a little more introspection and depth of observation. She made some good points about her fashion and business philosophy a ...more
Claribelle Van
Mar 11, 2014 rated it liked it
DIane's style of writing is very matter of fact and very rarely does she ever elaborate from an emotional standpoint. Though it was interesting to read about her journey, the book itself wasn't particularly engaging. I read this as part of a women in business book club assignment and would have chosen something else had it been up to me.
Megan Whitaker
Jul 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Hard to say what I thought of this book - ultimately I think it is decent as a business book. Her journey in business is one of significant highs and lows over a number of decades and I admire her drive and nous. As a person, Diane can come across a bit removed from the real world and self absorbed - whether she is like that in real life I can't say.
Christina Boyle
Dec 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: health-and-aging
I am huge fan of DVF for multiple reasons (creativity, risk taking, business acumen, confidence) but I have to say learning more about her life story was a tiny bit shocking and I am not sure it was positive. I still consider her a great female role model though. I am excited to hear her speak in January 2011 at the 92Y. Her most outstanding attribute is her bold confidence.
Kayleigh Burke
Aug 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
I would recommend this book to anyone who loves reading about successful women and who loves fashion. She has led such an exciting life and is very inspiring. I do have to add though that it also enforces my belief that success is usually something that is largely luck and the circumstances you are born into, even if you do work hard once you have them.
Margaret
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Diane has been an inspiration since I was a child. A real princess who came to America with a trunk full of dresses and revolutionized the way that women dress. "Feel like a woman wear a dress" Diane is truly incredible and this book is only a piece of her story. Could not put it down!
Julie
May 08, 2008 rated it it was ok
Interesting read about a fashionista and the originator of the wrap dress. Definitely not a tell all kind of book, but shared alot about marketing, licensing and the ups and downs of the fashion industry.
Victoria
Oct 30, 2011 rated it liked it
An interesting autobiography on a strong and fabulous woman. She has lead the most extraordinary life, creating the wrap-dress & an empire...marrying a prince, battling cancer.
Decent read if you are interested in fashion...
Jessica
This is a fairly light read about well-known fashion icon Diane Von Furstenberg. It's a story of determination, hard-work, and drive... she definately didn't just "land" in her current spot. I always enjoy a book about a woman rising to the top. Kudos to her!
Cheryl Booze
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An amazing story of an amazing woman and a prolific fashion designer.
Andrea
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir
This woman is made me a little crazy while reading this. But at least she experienced what she wanted almost exactly when she wanted to. To live your life with such access to influential people...
Alicia
Aug 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
life changing book. best book of all time.
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book- business, fashion, high society,
Natalia Quintero
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
An honest memoir of DVF's life on what it's like to be a princess, a socialite, and modern business woman. Very factual and engaging but at times monotonous.
Lisa
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very interesting read. I didn't realize that she had lived more adventures by the age of 27 than most people do in a lifetime.
Megan
Summer Douglass
Jun 14, 2012
Tiffany Davis
Aug 11, 2010
Fashion Book Lovers!: Diane: A Signature Life by Diane Von Furstenberg 12 26 Oct 21, 2010 07:05PM

• It's All about the Dress: What I Learned in Forty Years about Men, Women, Sex, and Fashion
  • Happy Times
  • Diana Vreeland
  • Chanel and Her World: Friends, Fashion, and Fame
  • 365 Style
  • Free Gift with Purchase: My Improbable Career in Magazines and Makeup
  • Elizabeth Taylor: My Love Affair with Jewelry
  • What I Wore: Four Seasons, One Closet, Endless Recipes for Personal Style
  • Grin and Bear It: How to Be Happy No Matter What Reality Throws Your Way
  • Hijacking the Runway: How Celebrities Are Stealing the Spotlight from Fashion Designers
  • What to Wear, Where: The How-to Handbook for Any Style Situation
  • The Other Man: John F. Kennedy Jr., Carolyn Bessette, and Me
  • How to Have Style
  • The Asylum: True Tales of Madness from a Life in Fashion
  • Empress of Fashion: A Life of Diana Vreeland
  • Sex and the City 2: The Stories. the Fashion. the Adventure.
  • D.V.
  • The Real Girl's Kitchen
Diane von Fürstenberg (born Diane Simone Michelle Halfin) is a fashion designer best known for her hallmark wrap dress.
“The girls who were unanimously considered beautiful often rested on their beauty alone. I felt I had to do things, to be intelligent and develop a personality in order to be seen as attractive. By the time I realized maybe I wasn't plain and might even possibly be pretty, I had already trained myself to be a little more interesting and informed.” 18 likes
“In all circumstances, I always look for the light and build around it, with little memory of pain.” 15 likes