Start by marking “Tyrannosaurus Drip” as Want to Read:
Tyrannosaurus Drip

Tyrannosaurus Drip

Everyone knows that tyrannosauruses are big and scary, so when a placid duckbill dinosaur's egg ends up in the wrong nest confusion is sure to ensue. When the baby dinosaur hatches out, he's so out of place that his grisly big sisters call him Tyrannosaurus Drip.
Published July 6th 2007 by MacMillan UK

Start your review of Tyrannosaurus Drip
Kathryn
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Highly entertaining dino-spin on the "Ugly Duckling" tale, this story features the placid, water-dwelling, vegetarian duckbill dinosaurs and the mean, meat-eating, sinister T-Rex dinosaurs (cliched, yes, but oh well) who wish they could cross the river to eat the duckbills. When a hungry Compy steals a duckbill egg and accidentally drops it near the T-Rex nest, confusion and much angst ensues. In the end, the poor little "Tyrannosaurus Drip" gets a chance to prove himself to his true family and ...more
Trelawn
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was brilliant and at times really funny, mostly because I didn't read this one which is just as well because at points it borders on tongue twister. More Julia Donaldson fun, this time for dinosaur fans. The little guy loved it.
Isobel
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Tyrannosaurus drip is told with repetitive phrases to describe what the dinosaurs eat. The duckbill dinosaurs hooted “Up with rivers” and they hooted, “up with reeds!” And they hooted, “up with bellyfuls of juicy water reeds.” The tyrannosaurus shouted “up with hunting!” “up with war!” And they shouts “up with bellyfuls of duckbill dinosaurs.” The repetitive phrases are good because they can encourage children to join in with the story.

The story uses a lot of punctuation: speech marks,
Mehsi
I had expected something totally different from this book. I can't say what, as that would spoil the book, and for such a short review I don't feel like spoiler-tagging stuff. I was hoping for one ending, but I got a totally weird and not even close to what I wanted ending. An ending I didn't see coming.

I also had expected something to happen when our little dinosaur found his real family.
I had a lot of expectations and none of them were met. The book was mostly boring, T-rexes are angry,
Kathleen Dixon
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, dinosaurs
Not all of Julia Donaldson's books are inspired, but they're certainly all very good. This one comes into the former category in my opinion, because it does an excellent job of talking about bullies (i.e. the tyrannosaurus family) getting their karmic come-uppance, all within a cute rhyming story. I often find Donaldson’s books a little too cute or a little too bright or something that doesn't quite appeal to me, but in this one the illustrations get top marks - as the symbolism of muted blue ...more
Dolly
Sep 16, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2010
This is an interesting dinosaur tale, reminiscent of The Ugly Duckling. With its dinosaur theme, colorful illustrations and rhyming narrative it's sure to be highly entertaining for children. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Keeley
Jul 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-the-kids
This book is so fun and the rhymes are really cute and funny. I absolutely love the illustrations in this book! I am huge on illstrations in childrens books and these do not dissappoint. It is a perfect book for children who love dinosaurs and rhyming books.
Angela
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
LOVE Julia Donaldson. Such a talented writer. My kids will read this book (and her other books) over and over without getting bored.
Danie Cutter
May 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Good strong Donaldson although not quite up to the standard of her best. Plus little miss would like to point out that TRex only has two fingers!
The Library Lady
Sep 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Okay, she got me--I really liked it.
A cute twist on "The Ugly Duckling" AND dinosaurs. I bought 2 copies and I know they are going to get well worn.
Rosie Potter
A lovely story about finding out where you truly belong, as well as standing up to bullies! Poor Tyrannosaurus Drip gets bullied by his parents and him siblings for not being mean or fierce enough, and so he runs away to find where he really belongs. When he finds his true family, he learns why he is the way he is, and ends up standing up to his other family when they come to attack! Another nice thing about this book is that, in a way typical of Julia Donaldson, the littlest one saves the day! ...more
Ingrid Sawubona
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Julia Donaldson is undoubtedly one of my favorite authors, and in this highly entertaining dino-spin on the "ugly duckling" tale, a water-dwelling, vegetarian duckbill dinosaur gets a chance to find out where he truly belongs when he stands up against T-Rex bullies.

The rhyme scheme of the poem is engaging and the illustrations by David Roberts are really interesting and different from many others of Donaldson’s books, but I nevertheless found the book charming and delightful without being
Charlotte
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this story on my placement as within this book Juila Donaldson uses repetitive phrases such as “Up with hunting!”… “Up with war!” which the children in my class joined in with. The pupils had great enthusiasm reading the story as it was humorous with its rhyming narrative. I would definitely recommend this book for KS1.
Suzanna
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is at the kindergarten level. The prose is predictable and contains many rhymes but the book is a bit too long to keep the attention of preschoolers. The story of the duckbill egg that grew up in a family of dinosaurs is full of opportunities to explore inferred reading- what do you know about the story that isn't explained in the text?
Katy
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
I like the art in this, but I can't stand reading stories to kids where a group is portrayed as simply "bad" and then is somehow punished. I always feel like it doesn't send a realistic or very positive message.
Becky Allen
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Interesting story to use in a class. Would be fun to work on in a playful way with children, as well as a good discussion for themes of family, friends, fitting in and getting along.

Great rhyming - well written by Donaldson as you’d expect. Lovely illustrations too. Sweet book and story.
Lynn  Davidson
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Duckbill dinosaurs and tyrannosaurus dinosaurs liked different things. In fact, tyrannosaurus liked to eat duckbill dinosaurs. One day a duckbill egg rolls into a tyrannosaurus nest. What happens is unexpected, funny, and told in great rhyme and illustrations.
Kutas
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It is a great children's book! My 3,5 year old boy really liked it and wants me to read it to him over and over again :)) interesting and funny with a lot of hard word, I had to stop and explain the meaning, Oh I really like to teach something new to my little prince!
R.J. Rodda
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
My seven year old daughter is really enjoying reading this.
Rosie
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classroom, ks1, literacy
Observed this text being used as a Y1 class read as the input for a writing activity.
Chelsea
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rhymes and dinosaurs ...more
Angela
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Fun book with lots of rhyming and excellent to read aloud. Children would find it easy to read along too. Plus it makes you thankful and in this story that Tyrannosaurus's cannot count.
Barbara
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story of a baby duckbill dinosaur who hatches in a nest of tyrannosaurus eggs, told in rollicking rhyme. Good fun, and I expect my granddaughter will require me to read this to her many times!
Gabby
The illustrations in this were amazing and the story really came to life. I wasn’t sure about the actual story line but I did have a giggle at many of the pages.
Becky Sparkes
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good whole class story to read I like the rhyme used.
Charlotte Smith
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wasn't to keen on this book. Some words were big so some children May struggle with some of them.
Izzy Doyle
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rhyming, nature, dinosaurs
Rather an amusing book. It would be a good story to introduce herbivores and carnivores. Lovely illustrations too.
Sanja_Sanjalica
Apr 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, i-own
A cute story of misplacement that lead to great consequences. Not sure that I like the ending, though.
Dr Gillings
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: matilda, beatrix
My daughters absolutely love this story!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Elmer
  • We're Going on a Bear Hunt
  • Each Peach Pear Plum
  • Is Daddy Coming Back in a Minute?: Explaining Sudden Death to Pre-School Children in Words They Can Understand
  • The Lion Inside
  • Five Minutes' Peace
  • The Tiger Who Came to Tea
  • Lost and Found (The Boy, #2)
  • You Choose
  • Handa's Surprise: Read and Share
  • The Storm Whale
  • Blown Away
  • How to Catch a Star (The Boy, #1)
  • Harry and the Bucketful of Dinosaurs
  • Dogger
  • Beegu
  • Little Miss Scatterbrain
  • Splat the Cat
Growing up
I grew up in a tall Victorian London house with my parents, grandmother, aunt, uncle, younger sister Mary and cat Geoffrey (who was really a prince in disguise. Mary and I would argue about which of us would marry him).

Mary and I were always creating imaginary characters and mimicking real ones, and I used to write shows and choreograph ballets for us. A wind-up gramophone wafted out