Start by marking “The Girl who Leapt Through Time” as Want to Read:
The Girl who Leapt Through Time

The Girl who Leapt Through Time

3.16  ·  Rating details ·  1,131 Ratings  ·  182 Reviews
One of Tsutsui's best-known and most popular works in his native Japan, The Girl Who Leapt through Time is the story of fifteen-year-old schoolgirl Kazuko, who accidentally discovers that she can leap back and forth in time. In her quest to uncover the identity of the mysterious figure that she believes to be responsible for her paranormal abilities, she'll constantly have ...more
Published (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about The Girl who Leapt Through Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl who Leapt Through Time

Phoebe Andamo
Jun 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Phoebe by: Joy
I watched the anime film The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and found out that it was based on a book by Yasutaka Tsutsui. I looked everywhere to find this book but resulted to no avail. Fortunately, my friend Joy here in goodreads had an ebook and gave me a copy. Thank you :)

If you're an anime, manga or Japanese drama enthusiast, you would agree with me that the story is a typical one. It's one of the stories with magic or supernatural things occur plus the erasing of memories with a hint of love
Katya
Feb 08, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Also appears here

When I was in high school, part of my French curriculum was learning the basics of translation. Now, you might think that it's easy, provided you can read in a foreign language and have a good dictionary at hand. But, as I learned, there are some rules to translation that definitely have to be kept, so that the translator doesn't get "creative" and alter the manuscript.

I say this because I understand perfectly how rigid the confines are when it comes to translation, and that so
Nikki
Picked up in the Kindle sale, somewhat at random -- mostly because of the cover, which caught my attention. I knew something about this book being adapted into a manga or an anime or something, so I thought it might be fun. It turned out to actually be two quite short and unconnected stories. They're very simple, and the translation seems rather stilted -- it comes out sounding like a book written for children to read.

The first story is rather sweet, even if it is very simplistic and hand-wavey
Kaisa
Apr 21, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This... wasn't what I was expecting. I've heard so much about the MOVIE "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time", so I was assuming that this book would be awesome.
But it's like.. two short stories.. One of which doesn't make a lick of sense, and one that seemed utterly pointless.

I really hope the magic was lost in translation, otherwise I really will have to be a little bit mean to this author.

...It HAS to be the translation. Right?

Because the writing felt so stilted and similar to something you would
Mike
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Better in concept than execution (and not helped by flat, functional translation), and far outdone by its anime adaptation.

There's a unmentioned second (unrelated) story that's nearly half the book. Sketchy move not reflecting that in the title or description. It's ok, but it's also obviously here to be filler.

My rating reflects both stories of course and I'm rounding down to 2 instead of up to 3 for the issues mentioned, but let me mention that the ideas themselves are quite good.

Full review:
Tocotin
The language of this book is so bland and lifeless, the characters so one-dimensional, that I'm actually left wondering if there isn't something I should know... like, were both stories originally created as anime or manga? Or are they specially dumbed down for, I don't know, people who don't usually read books? Or is it simply the matter of bad translation? I know the author's name from somewhere. He seems to be pretty famous. What's the matter? Me very confused.
The cover looks great but doesn'
Pixie Dust
This is one of the rare times that I find the movie adaptation (or in this case, the 2006 anime film) better than the novel. Perhaps it was the bad translation - cheesy phrases like "Together they jumped for joy at Goro's lucky escape" abound. Or perhaps it was because the novel was too short - barely 70 pages long. There was actually sufficient material in the conceit of the story to extend it into a longer novel with fuller characterization and plot development. Instead, because there was so m ...more
Nek0 Neha (BiblioNyan)
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time by Yasutaka Tsutsui is a small collection of two novellas, the first of the same name and the second, The Stuff That Nightmares Are Made of. I read this with my Japanese Novel and Light Novel Book Club over on GoodReads as our monthly book pick! For my review here, I’ll go ahead and review each story individually, and then share my opinions on the book as a whole.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

One day while cleaning the classroom after school, fifteen-year
Son Agia
Tanpa ingin terdengar seperti otaku, menurut saya kartun Jepang (anime) merupakan hiburan terbaik sejagat raya, setara dengan nongkrong di warkop bareng kawan-kawan atau maen game Football Manager di kamar. Levelnya jauh di atas buku, komik, musik, film, maupun perasaan gebetan—yang terakhir ini memang belum bisa dikategorikan sebagai hiburan, tapi ya . . .

Berbekal keyakinan tersebut, makanya jarang saya mengonsumsi segala macam medium yang diadaptasi oleh/dari anime. Seperti kata pepatah orang
  • Usurper of the Sun
  • The Future is Japanese: Science Fiction Futures and Brand New Fantasies from and about Japan.
  • The Manga Guide to the Universe
  • Naoko
  • Ten Nights' Dreams
  • The Stories of Ibis
  • Somersault
  • Moribito II: Guardian of the Darkness (Moribito, #2)
  • Manazuru
  • Remote Control
  • Doctor Who: Cat's Cradle: Witch Mark
  • The Ultimates: Against All Enemies
  • Parasite Eve
208995
Yasutaka Tsutsui (筒井 康隆) is a Japanese novelist, science fiction author, and actor. Along with Shinichi Hoshi and Sakyo Komatsu, he is one of the most famous science fiction writers in Japan. His Yumenokizaka bunkiten won the Tanizaki Prize in 1987. He has also won the 1981 Izumi Kyoka award, the 1989 Kawabata Yasunari award, and the 1992 Nihon SF Taisho Award. In 1997, he was decorated as a Cheva ...more
More about Yasutaka Tsutsui...
“She could see the name Fukamachi on a shiny name-plate by the door of the house, but it was a name that meant nothing to Kazuko. And at that moment, in her heart, she began to dream of meeting someone. Someone special who would one day walk into her life. Someone she would instantly feel she had known for years. Someone who would feel the same about her.” 14 likes
“Boys need to have the courage to fight back!” their mother continued. “If you want to keep on playing with girls all the time, I’m going to have to snip off your weenie!” 0 likes