Start by marking “Dig Your Well before You're Thirsty: The only networking book you'll ever need” as Want to Read:
Dig Your Well before You're Thirsty: The only networking book you'll ever need

Dig Your Well before You're Thirsty: The only networking book you'll ever need

Bestselling author Harvey Mackay reveals his techniques for the most essential tool in business--networking, the indispensable art of building contacts.

Now in paperback, Dig Your Well Before You're Thirsty is Harvey Mackay's last word on how to get what you want from the world through networking.  For everyone from the sales rep facing a career-making deal to the entrepren
Published February 16th 1999 by Crown Business (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Dig Your Well before You're Thirsty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dig Your Well before You're Thirsty

Start your review of Dig Your Well before You're Thirsty: The only networking book you'll ever need
Matthew
Jan 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: business
Took me months to get through this book. I kept getting bored with it and couldn't stand to read another page. But I muscled through because so many people said it would be worth it.

Agree to disagree.

If I could sum up in one line what I took as this book's message, it would be this: "People exist to use and be used." The author describes people like currency... whoever has the most in his pocket wins!

Also, this book is horribly outdated. I am actually surprised it is still on the shelf in my b
Chris Petrick
Nov 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
worth reading and re reading again and again. career builder.
KnowledgeSpecter
Oct 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I listened to the audiobook version. It was an abridged version.

Even though the book came out during the late 90's, Harvey gave great advice. Everything is about relationships and it was emphasised in this book. I loved that Harvey had Muhammad Ali in the book among others and that passage ended with Muhammad Ali saying: ''service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth''.

I truly feel that a network should be more than just contacts to call upon when you need something. It sho
James
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The examples are from the 90's, but the advice will last you a lifetime.
Barry Davis
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Subtitled “The Only Networking Book You’ll Never Need,” this book may overstate its position on the topic, but not by much. Mackay, the author of “Swim with the Sharks without Being Eaten Alive,” “Sharkproof” and “Beware the Naked Man Who Offers You His Shirt” is a premier networker and a pretty good communicator. This book is full of stories, anecdotes, “Mackay’s Maxims” like “Getting through the fence to the top dog is easy, if you know the gatekeeper.” He combines solid advice and insights on ...more
Devin Partlow
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Unfortunately you will need another networking book. The problem with networking books is you don't know if the book is actually any good or if the author just networked their way into a publisher and a wholesaler. I think it was the latter for this book.

Networking as a compliment is fine, but in this book networking is supplemental; as if to say there will be a deficiency unless you network [correctly], which I just don't believe is true.
Elizabeth
Jul 24, 2009 marked it as to-read
Shelves: career
As recommended by the Introduction to Research Leadership module of the summer intersession course Your Research Career presented by the Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions' Professional Development Office. ...more
Cecely
Jan 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great book for learning how to build and maintain your network of friends and colleagues.
Matthew
May 16, 2019 rated it liked it
A quality networking book offering time honored advice on how to care about other people.

“Networking is a lifetime of caring about other people”

The government won’t save you. Who will?

“You can make more friends in 2 months by being interested in people than in 2 years by trying to become interesting” - Dale Carnegie

Top tips:

1. Be relevant. Write down the time you had with someone and reference it on birthdays or holidays
2. Watch for community events
3. Observe changes via linkedin
4. Visit ppl whe
Luis Perez
Jul 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Swim with the Sharks is one of the most influential books I've read and though Dig Your Well isn't quite on that level, it's worth reading. So much of this is common sense, and sadly, not enough people have enough common sense.

Not Mackay's greatest work and a bit corny at times, but it's still full of little gems and the value of networking cannot be overemphasized. Good networking is really just another way of saying be a good friend and a good person to someone else. It's just the right thing
Franklyn Gonzalez
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: must-reread
A great networking book to keep in mind. Provides examples and situations where the author has used networking to save time and establish second hand connections (from one person to another). I've seen some of the reviews on Goodreads saying that this type of tactic is "stale" but I believe it still works the same way. Another good networking book is Never Eat Alone.

It deserves a re-listen because it's good to stay aware your connections.
Mike  Phung
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Do you think you understand your network, then think again or read this book! Like another book „swimming with the shark“, Harvey help you to see how important not just to have a network but to care it too!
If you do not love to care, and nor spend really time and effort with a lot of discipline, it not possible to have it’s profit!

Very interesting to read!
Kathleen
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Don
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the best book on networking ever written. Who cares that it was written 20+ years ago and that some ideas appear out-of-date because technology moves so quickly? Insert the tech de jour where appropriate and understand the underlying point. If you will implement just 10% of what Harvey discusses, you will find enormous success in building your networks and your relationships within them.
Steve
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Short chapters that flow really well. Each chapter ends with a "MacKay's Maxim" -- one or two sentences that drive home that chapter's concept. He has some really good quote worthy sentences in the book as well.
Jennie
Jun 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
Only listened to the 1st hour of the audiobook. Unimpressed. Not wasting anymore times on this.
Stephen Andert
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: productivity
Networking has never been more important than today and Harvey has a lot of great ideas that are not stale, even though this was written a few years ago.
Chip
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it
It took me a while to get through the book, but I was able to apply the principles as I went along.
Hardeep Singh
Oct 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
where are the books to read ? it is not showing up anywhere....
Phương Nguyễn
It's really a good book, teaching you so much stuff that you have to experience a lot before you could learn to acquaint with it. Wonderful.
Tim
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
In general, I don't read business or self-help books, but I could not help enjoying a lot of this one. MacKay is a great raconteur who seems to have an endless supply of clever, interesting stories. One can see why he worked his way up from being a salesman to being president of an envelope company and a well-known writer. In general, his message is pretty simple: to build an effective network, make contact with as many people as you can, and keep in touch with them. Do favors for people, and th ...more
Brett
Feb 01, 2017 rated it liked it
It's a decent book. Harvey MacKay has a style that like sitting with your overly confident grandpa telling you stories from the good old days. The concepts are a bit outdated, but there are some good nuggets in here. Biggest takeaway came at the beginning: "How many people do you have in your life that you could call at 3am." Great thing to ponder and a good northern-star to help motivate you to develop relationships without agenda.

Very easy read, not a lot of depth, but sage common sense that y
Jack Perry
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Harvey MacKay makes the point that no matter how smart or talented you are , you can't do it alone. Reciprocity, interdependency and sharing are the keys to building your network. Using Harvey's message about building a network will help you build your business, get financial commitments for charities and help your community.
Ifeoma
Oct 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Not a bad book, has some interesting facts however I find it geared towards extroverted personality types. The kind of advice given in this book isn't suitable for people with inclinations with introversion and would easily tire them out. And as with most self help books contains all positive stories with no stories about networking gone wrong.
Troy Kuhn
Jan 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Most people wait until something happens to start working on their network. This book talks about always developing a network that way when you need one it will be much stronger. Good for self-employed and sales people.
Brad
Dec 19, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: very few people
This book could have been half as long as it really was. The idea of networking is great but it cannot be taught. It is good to hear stories and see examples but you are your only teacher. If people don't like you then it is pretty hard to apply anything this book shows.
Brian
Feb 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Excellent book, I recommend it. I found it a useful reminder of many principles I've learned other places. Some of those other places were more specific, and provided better step-by-step direction, hence the 4 stars.
Scott
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The title really sums it up... This is the ONLY networking book you'll ever need (except maybe for Jeffrey Gitomer's Little Black Book of Connections). This book is packed full of wisdom, experience and specific behaviors that if utilized, will have you connected beyond belief.
Ifeanyi Onuoha
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is so on point. I love it from that to finish and will always treasure it

Harvey Mackay doesn't just communicate, he connects.

This book is more valuable than the money I bought it with.
Thomas Bondesson
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business, leadership
I really like reading about building a strong Network, and I usually like Harvey MacKays books. But this book was a bit of a disappointment. More of a story about Harvey hanging out with big shots and undertone of a paranoid guy. Rather then giving tips on networking.

• Thriving on Chaos: Handbook for a Management Revolution
  • Reengineering the Corporation: A Manifesto for Business Revolution
  • The Fifth Discipline: The Art & Practice of The Learning Organization
  • Never Eat Alone: And Other Secrets to Success, One Relationship at a Time
  • Little Black Book of Connections: 6.5 Assets for Networking Your Way to Rich Relationships
  • In the Plex: How Google Thinks, Works, and Shapes Our Lives
  • Nuts!
  • 25 Ways to Win with People: How to Make Others Feel Like a Million Bucks
  • Who's Got Your Back: The Breakthrough Program to Build Deep, Trusting Relationships That Create Success--And Won't Let You Fail
  • How I Raised Myself From Failure to Success in Selling
  • The Heart of Change: Real-Life Stories of How People Change Their Organizations
  • The Gucci Mane Guide to Greatness