Start by marking “Dig Your Well before You're Thirsty: The only networking book you'll ever need” as Want to Read:
Dig Your Well before You're Thirsty: The only networking book you'll ever need

Dig Your Well before You're Thirsty: The only networking book you'll ever need

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  948 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Bestselling author Harvey Mackay reveals his techniques for the most essential tool in business--networking, the indispensable art of building contacts.

Now in paperback, Dig Your Well Before You're Thirsty is Harvey Mackay's last word on how to get what you want from the world through networking.  For everyone from the sales rep facing a career-making deal to the entrepren
Published February 16th 1999 by Crown Business (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Dig Your Well before You're Thirsty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dig Your Well before You're Thirsty

Matthew
Jan 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: business
Took me months to get through this book. I kept getting bored with it and couldn't stand to read another page. But I muscled through because so many people said it would be worth it.

Agree to disagree.

If I could sum up in one line what I took as this book's message, it would be this: "People exist to use and be used." The author describes people like currency... whoever has the most in his pocket wins!

Also, this book is horribly outdated. I am actually surprised it is still on the shelf in my b
Devin Partlow
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Unfortunately you will need another networking book. The problem with networking books is you don't know if the book is actually any good or if the author just networked their way into a publisher and a wholesaler. I think it was the latter for this book.

Networking as a compliment is fine, but in this book networking is supplemental; as if to say there will be a deficiency unless you network [correctly], which I just don't believe is true.
Cecely
Jan 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great book for learning how to build and maintain your network of friends and colleagues.
Chris Petrick
Nov 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
worth reading and re reading again and again. career builder.
James
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The examples are from the 90's, but the advice will last you a lifetime.
Jennie
Jun 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
Only listened to the 1st hour of the audiobook. Unimpressed. Not wasting anymore times on this.
Barry Davis
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Subtitled “The Only Networking Book You’ll Never Need,” this book may overstate its position on the topic, but not by much. Mackay, the author of “Swim with the Sharks without Being Eaten Alive,” “Sharkproof” and “Beware the Naked Man Who Offers You His Shirt” is a premier networker and a pretty good communicator. This book is full of stories, anecdotes, “Mackay’s Maxims” like “Getting through the fence to the top dog is easy, if you know the gatekeeper.” He combines solid advice and insights on ...more
Tim
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
In general, I don't read business or self-help books, but I could not help enjoying a lot of this one. MacKay is a great raconteur who seems to have an endless supply of clever, interesting stories. One can see why he worked his way up from being a salesman to being president of an envelope company and a well-known writer. In general, his message is pretty simple: to build an effective network, make contact with as many people as you can, and keep in touch with them. Do favors for people, and th ...more
Brett
Feb 01, 2017 rated it liked it
It's a decent book. Harvey MacKay has a style that like sitting with your overly confident grandpa telling you stories from the good old days. The concepts are a bit outdated, but there are some good nuggets in here. Biggest takeaway came at the beginning: "How many people do you have in your life that you could call at 3am." Great thing to ponder and a good northern-star to help motivate you to develop relationships without agenda.

Very easy read, not a lot of depth, but sage common sense that y
Elizabeth
Jul 24, 2009 marked it as to-read
Shelves: career
As recommended by the Introduction to Research Leadership module of the summer intersession course Your Research Career presented by the Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions' Professional Development Office.
Ifeoma Onyejekwe
Oct 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Not a bad book, has some interesting facts however I find it geared towards extroverted personality types. The kind of advice given in this book isn't suitable for people with inclinations with introversion and would easily tire them out. And as with most self help books contains all positive stories with no stories about networking gone wrong.
Jack Perry
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Harvey MacKay makes the point that no matter how smart or talented you are , you can't do it alone. Reciprocity, interdependency and sharing are the keys to building your network. Using Harvey's message about building a network will help you build your business, get financial commitments for charities and help your community.
Thomas Bondesson
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business, leadership
I really like reading about building a strong Network, and I usually like Harvey MacKays books. But this book was a bit of a disappointment. More of a story about Harvey hanging out with big shots and undertone of a paranoid guy. Rather then giving tips on networking.
Scott
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The title really sums it up... This is the ONLY networking book you'll ever need (except maybe for Jeffrey Gitomer's Little Black Book of Connections). This book is packed full of wisdom, experience and specific behaviors that if utilized, will have you connected beyond belief.
Brad
Dec 19, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: very few people
This book could have been half as long as it really was. The idea of networking is great but it cannot be taught. It is good to hear stories and see examples but you are your only teacher. If people don't like you then it is pretty hard to apply anything this book shows.
Brian
Feb 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Excellent book, I recommend it. I found it a useful reminder of many principles I've learned other places. Some of those other places were more specific, and provided better step-by-step direction, hence the 4 stars.
Troy Kuhn
Jan 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Most people wait until something happens to start working on their network. This book talks about always developing a network that way when you need one it will be much stronger. Good for self-employed and sales people.
Ifeanyi Enoch Onuoha
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is so on point. I love it from that to finish and will always treasure it

Harvey Mackay doesn't just communicate, he connects.

This book is more valuable than the money I bought it with.
Lori Grant
A should-read book on networking.
Spencer
Dec 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Very useful, practical knowledge that anyone can benefit from--and he MacKay delivers it with humor.
Mikedariano
Sep 06, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: began-but-quit

Lots of fluff, filler, and hyperbole. If the content is worthwhile I would have liked a better narrative.
Eliot Burdett
Mar 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Read ages ago and thought I would post since I am reading Keith Ferrazi's book. Great book on networking.
Joel
Aug 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Simple and easy-to-read advice on networking. More proof that the old cliche of "It's not what you know, it's who you know" holds true.
Michel Erdmann
Aug 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Good for the period.
Joleen
Feb 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Life is truly about relationships. The examples were great and imparts wisdom. Even though it was written in the 90s still applicable. I can't wait to actually do it and see the results.
Teena in Toronto
Jul 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Good book to read on networking.
John Jamieson
Mar 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you do just 20% of what he asks you to do in that book you will be blown away on how fast you can accomplish your goals by using a network to help you.
Kevin Hammond
Apr 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Harvey at his best.
Chris Lewert
Feb 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
if you read one book about how to make it at your job/business/real life read this book.
Michael Slavin
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Excellent book on networking constantly.It does not cover the internet, but lots of great stories and good advice about networking and then taking care of your network.
  • Little Black Book of Connections: 6.5 Assets for Networking Your Way to Rich Relationships
  • Endless Referrals: Network Your Everyday Contacts into Sales
  • The Human Equation: Building Profits by Putting People First
  • People Buy You: The Real Secret to What Matters Most in Business
  • Work Like a Spy: Business Tips from a Former CIA Officer
  • Seven Years to Seven Figures: The Fast-Track Plan to Becoming a Millionaire
  • A Passion for Excellence: The Leadership Difference
  • Mojo: How to Get It, How to Keep It, How to Get It Back If You Lose It
  • The Trophy Kids Grow Up: How the Millennial Generation Is Shaking Up the Workplace
  • It's Not Just Who You Know: Transform Your Life (and Your Organization) by Turning Colleagues and Contacts into Lasting, Genuine Relationships
  • Networking Is a Contact Sport: How Staying Connected and Serving Others Will Help You Grow Your Business, Expand Your Influence -- or Even Land Your Next Job
  • 25 Ways to Win with People: How to Make Others Feel Like a Million Bucks
  • Make Your Contacts Count: Networking Know-How for Business and Career Success (UK Professional Business Management / Business)
  • The Heart of Change: Real-Life Stories of How People Change Their Organizations
  • Who's Got Your Back: The Breakthrough Program to Build Deep, Trusting Relationships That Create Success--And Won't Let You Fail
  • The 29% Solution: 52 Weekly Networking Success Strategies