Start by marking “America and Vietnam: The Elephant and the Tiger” as Want to Read:
America and Vietnam: The Elephant and the Tiger

America and Vietnam: The Elephant and the Tiger

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  94 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Examines the political history, military events, social impact, and long-term effects of the Vietnam War.
Published January 1st 2002 by Beautiful Feet Books (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about America and Vietnam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about America and Vietnam

Teresa TL Bruce
Nov 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, history
I rated this as "did not like," but I am glad I read it.

Several years ago I read this to gain a greater understanding of the Vietnam war. It was a VERY difficult book to read, not because of his writing but because of the content. Marrin clearly shows the motivations and strategies which shaped the conflict, and he shows the horrific consequences with equal clarity.

I recommend this to anyone who doesn't know the story of this awful period in history, but I do so with this WARNING: some of the de
Ginger
Apr 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
I love books by Albert Marrin. He brings history to life even better than a good piece of historical fiction without the fiction. The early part of my life was filled with scenes from this war on the TV after dinner. My friend's big sister grieved deeply over the loss of her boyfriend~they had graduated high school on a couple months earlier. I sat glued to the set, as President Nixon resigned and the POWs came home. Because I was so young, I didn't understand any of it until reading this book.
Hannah
Dec 11, 2008 rated it liked it
A very descriptive, imformative book on the Vietnam War! Albert marrin does a great job explaining and telling many events during the Vietnam War. I found this book to be fairly interesting; I really enjoyed quotes and descriptions from neat people like Jeremiah Denton who was a POW. I recommend this book for ages 15+
Dawn Roberts
Mar 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent, very readable overview of Vietnamese history and the complete Vietnam conflict. Seems a bit intense for the Veritas 6th grade list, but the length and level of detail is good for middle schoolers.
Abigail Rasmussen
Jul 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: age-13-and-up
Mom read this book aloud to my sister (14), brother (12) and I (17) when we were were studying Modern History. It has some descriptions of the sadness and horror of war that a different brother of mine was still too sensitive to read or listen to when he was 13 years old.
Matthew
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great chronicle of this big part in our history.
Gwen Burrow
Jun 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: military
Some of the most gut-wrenching stuff I've ever read.
Kendra Beth
May 02, 2008
Pam Wilbur
Feb 11, 2013
Holly
rated it did not like it
Jun 30, 2011
Jul 03, 2017
Scott
Mar 17, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Albert Marrin is a historian and the author of more than twenty nonfiction books for young people. He has won various awards for his writing, including the 2005 James Madison Book Award and the 2008 National Endowment for Humanities Medal. In 2011, his book Flesh and Blood So Cheap was a National Book Award Finalist. Marrin is the Chairman of the History Department at New York's Yeshiva University ...more
More about Albert Marrin...