Start by marking “Dr. Hugh Mann (Zombie Fallout, #3.5)” as Want to Read:
Dr. Hugh Mann (Zombie Fallout, #3.5)

Dr. Hugh Mann (Zombie Fallout #3.5)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  2,109 Ratings  ·  99 Reviews
Before there were zombies there was the virus.....
Published (first published June 19th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dr. Hugh Mann, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dr. Hugh Mann

Michael Flanagan
This short story nestles itself between book 3 and 4 of the Zombie Fallout series and is a prequel to the series. As a reader I find that prequels can be fraught with risk and I often find myself asking questions like:

Is this just a grab for some cash?
If it is so important to the story the why not include it in the first book?
Will it add any value to the story and series?
Is this a result of lazy story development?

What I got in this prequel was a valued pack story that not only added to the ser
Katie Kenig
May 11, 2016 rated it did not like it
Oh, for heaven's sake.

Alright, I know I said I was taking a break from this series because I was getting a bit burnt out on them, but since this was a prequel, I thought I'd give it a shot. I'm not particularly happy that I did.

This short novella, tucked between books three and four of the series, gives some history of the virus that causes the Zombie Apocalypse in the Fallout series. It follows Dr. Hugh Mann (yes, it's really that ridiculous), a physicist around the turn of the 20th century, wh
Rusty Duncan
Aug 18, 2014 rated it did not like it
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
am a massive fan of Mark Tufo so maybe a little bias in my review.... but this little novella in the story line is a wonderful little rounding out of certain characters...
a great new twist in how Zombies are caused.....very clever really!
really felt for all the characters as was charmed to read about the lovely Tommy
always with humour... another great part of the magnificent ZF world
I was not disappointed with this book. It did not have the tone as the other books in the series had, but it was nice to get more background on the series as a whole. My opinion is if you're fan of the series and have read the whole series a couple times and want a little extra. Read this. I wouldn't say you're missing anything if you skip it.
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a great back story...I was confused at first...until the pieces started falling together...Now I know how it all started and I like it!!! If you have read the ZFO books you need to read this too...and all the unanswered questions will become clear...or at least most of Great little story!!!
Apr 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Please find my review here:
Aug 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mark_tufo, 2015
I enjoyed having some history explained, BUT there were things in this that had me rolling my eyes.
April Parrish
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Miniature humans?!? Dust mites battling these miniature humans, really? I was in disbelief through most of this novella. The last part of the story is pretty good though which is why it got 2 stars. Also what is in that briefcase and how long will we have to wait to find out.
Shirley Shaffer
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Virus has been unleashed.

This book explains the origins of the virus. It is troubling how close to truth it is or could be.
Crystal Marcela
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it

Even though it was a short book, it was very interesting. It left me wanting more. Reading this answered some questions the main book didn't.
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mark makes you want to go with Mike. Even through you know it's gonna go wrong. This was a cool look back at how it started.
A gripping novella that describes how the dreaded zombie apocalypse came to be. Sr. Hugh Mann, a scientist back in the early 1900s was a man with a young daughter Marissa who be barely paid mind to. Marrying Jonathon Talbot a month prior, her father leaves a suitcase with them, them being unknown to the secrets kept within. Tommy, or Tomas faked selling pastries to gain access to their home in order to steal the suitcase and hide it for close to a decade. It wasn't until twelve years later, when ...more
Jamey Goodyear
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Zombie Fallout 3.5 Dr. Hugh Mann is a short novella in the horror series Zombie Fallout by Mark Tufo.

Dr. Hugh Mann is a scientist with a university in the early 1900’s. After the arrival of a new high-powered microscope, he discovers something amazing in a sample of blood. A big university fund raising events gets planned around this discovery and the discovery takes on a life of its own. In this story we meet Dr. Mann’s daughter who turns out to be Mike Talbots grandmother. And, of course, the
Jul 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars

Won from a Goodreads giveaway.

Having not read the other Zombie Fallout books, I decided to read the prequel first. The few parts that were unexplained in this book I assume to be explained in the other books, but otherwise I could read this book without any difficulty. This book was short enough to read in one sitting, and was interesting enough to do so. I would probably recommend this book for somebody who already has read the previous books, considering there are certain things that
Sep 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
*** An excellent addition to an excellent Series ***
It's almost as if Mark gave us a present in releasing Dr. Hugh Mann. He must have known we were 'jonesing' for his writing. Thank you Mark! Although it's a prequel, if you're new to the series, read this AFTER book 3.

This is from someone else's review of the ZF series, but I couldn't say it any better and thoroughly agree:
Cumulatively, they are an epic apocalyptic tale, which reminded me of Steven King's The Stand and Robert McCammon's Swan S
May 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful story of the true origin of the zombie fallout. My reaction to this novella was like a slap to a hysterical person. At first I was like, 'Wait! Where is Mike, Tommy, Alex, Paul?' I even thought to myself 'Maybe I'll just skip the story and go right to the next book and come back to it.' Again my OCD comes into play preventing me from reading out of order.
By the end of the book my thinking is more along the lines of 'Wow, I needed that'.
Very interesting if not scarily realistic possibil
Amanda Felix
Mar 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Well now we know what really started the ZF and how Michael Talbot gets involved. Dr. Hugh Mann is as arrogant and egotistical as a genius could be. However even his maniacal ego is brought down by his discovery. At first he is elated and wants to share the news then he realizes the mistake he has made when trying to confide in a fellow scientest. Every thing spirals down really fast after that. If you are a fan of the ZF series, you will enjoy this and it will give the reader a pleasant surpris ...more
Joseph Barnes
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
This series reminded me of a combination of other books. This particular book is very short and is a prequel to the Zombie Fallout Series. If you liked "The Path" "The Stand" "Swan Song" and "Autumn" you will enjoy this series.
The prequel was a little far fetched but then again the books I mentioned early were also. With the exception of Autumn. The other books had a supernatural twist to the stories. Of course Autumn does not.
I read the first book in the series and then this one which whould a
Oct 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Mark TufoZombie Fallout 3.5: Dr. Hugh Mann

This was a sideways step from the Zombie Fallout Series a Prequel, it is the book I liked the least only because I missed the characters from the main series. This book explains how the horrors and evils in the main series came to be, therefore it has to be read as part of the set, it is only a short book and can be finished in a couple of hours. If you like the Zombie Fallout series then this is still a "must read".
Gadget Girl
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a short story in this Zombie Fallout novel series and it will fill in the blanks of how it all started; and for the best flow of the series needs to be read after book #3.

A refreshing and original change to how all things zombie began, its set years before it all started and was so good I read it twice to make sure I got everything; as its a brilliant base to the whole series.

Its a fascinating insight and yet another great set of characters to add to this zombie masterpiece series. We l
Jun 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although this is book 3.5 in a 4 book series,I went a little out of order and read this one first. I had heard it was the prequel and thought it would be a good place to start. a very interesting twist on where the concept of zombies come from. The authors ability to take a character such as the "doctor", and despite his shortcomings as a father and a member of society, make you understand his personality so he becomes likable is a talented skill he seems to use with ease. Even with characters t ...more
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: zombies
This story was ridiculous. I had a feeling it would be because it seemed as if it would have to take a more serious, historical feel, and I was right. I enjoy the other Zombie Fallout books because they are humorous, and even though they are ridiculous as well (Eliza? Like, seriously, come on), they are still fun.
This was just... Bad. It was bad. I guess it was kind of needed to clear up some story points mentioned in the first three books, but I somewhat think I would have been just fine skippi
Jan 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-zombie
Read this after finishing Zombie Fallout 7. I think I appreciated it a little more then I would have if I had read it earlier. There were some spoilers for later books in the series.
This book was more serious and dealt with information leading to the start of the zombie fallout. I missed the familiar characters and humor from the series, but still appreciated everything a learned as a fan.
If you love the series, I would suggest reading it for the little tid bits of information it will have for y
Caridad cruz
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
i enjoyed the book because i knew that it had to do with how zombie fallout all started. i can better understand the zombie fallout book now. i was a little confused with 2 parts, one was the little boy tom who came bearing pastries,who hasn't aged a day old in over 10 years and has some kind of mystical powers, and his sister is a vampire, i am like what? really???? the other is the container that the thieves stole was the virus, and next to that, there was a vampirism container??????? i guess ...more
Oct 24, 2012 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book for the background information it gave but didn't enjoy this book as I have the others in the series. It is a very different book. It is by no means a bad book, just not what I was expecting ( when reading a series I don't tend to read the blurb beyond what order to read books in). Anyway, I liked this book, the characters were strong, the story interesting, the background intriguing but I wasn't blown away or transported like I am when reading the others in the series. It is ...more
Melinda Lopez
This book was a little harder for me to follow along to but I don't regret buying it. I listened to it on audiobook rather than reading because I love Sean Runnette's work. He is a great narrator. It does give you a look into how the zombie apocalypse started but if you didn't read/listen to this one I don't think you would be lost or out of the loop. It's a book you can take or leave but either way it's entertaining.
CJ Long
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it.....

I love that it filled in how the plague was created and why it wasn't fixed right away. Kind of missed following Mike but on to book 7.
not sure this warranted another book in the series. I understand the point of telling the story of 'how it all began', but why not stick this in the back of number 3 or the beginning of number 4?
totally different in style to the first 3 books, but nice and easy to read.
i've rated it 3 stars, much in line with how i've rated the first 3 books of the series.
even though i'm enjoying the zombie fallout books, i'm still hoping it gets better in the next book cos it's too late to turn back now.
Julie Stack
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Mark Tufo Delivers Again

Another great book from a great author. A must read if you are a Zombie Fallout reader. If you like books on the Zombie Apocalypse and haven't read this series then I highly recommend that you do but don't start with this with Volume I, of course. You will love it
  • Necrophobia (Zombie Apocalypse #1)
  • White Flag of The Dead (White Flag of the Dead, #1)
  • Zombie Tales: Primrose Court Apt. 502
  • Survivors (Morningstar Strain #3)
  • Evolution (LZR-1143, #2)
  • Dead Drunk: Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse. One Beer at a Time
  • Deadlocked (Deadlocked, #1)
  • Flesh Eaters (Dead World, #3)
  • Kings of the Dead
  • New Zed Order: Survive
  • Land of the Dead
  • Eden
  • As the World Dies: Untold Tales Volume 1
  • Dumb White Husbands vs. Zombies: The Zomnibus
  • Joe Ledger: The Missing Files

Zombie Fallout (10 books)
  • Zombie Fallout (Zombie Fallout, #1)
  • A Plague Upon Your Family (Zombie Fallout #2)
  • The End (Zombie Fallout, #3)
  • The End Has Come and Gone (Zombie Fallout, #4)
  • Alive In A Dead World (Zombie Fallout, #5)
  • 'Till Death Do Us Part (Zombie Fallout, #6)
  • For the Fallen (Zombie Fallout #7)
  • An Old Beginning (Zombie Fallout, #8)
  • Tattered Remnants (Zombie Fallout, #9)
  • Those Left Behind (Zombie Fallout #10)

Fiction Deals

• Finding Rebecca
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Baker's Daughter
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99