Start by marking “Year of the Mountain Lion” as Want to Read:
Year of the Mountain Lion

Year of the Mountain Lion

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  12 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Cursed as a drought-bringer, Jolan lives a harsh life of nomadic exile in the desolate desert that surrounds her former cliff dwelling home. Now, for reasons she can't fathom, she is being hunted by those who have already cast her out. Unfortunately for her pursuers, Jolan is not helpless and she is determined to survive.

A gripping short story that shares a powerful woman'
Published June 20th 2011 by Darwin's Evolutions

To ask other readers questions about Year of the Mountain Lion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Year of the Mountain Lion

Stacey
The writer calls this “fantasy,” and it was published by Darwin's Evolutions, which is a Speculative Fiction magazine, (and sounds like Sci-Fi to me.) I'd call “Year of the Mountain Lion” a mythology, or more accurately, it's a short story (about 20 print pages,) about the creation of a legend in a primitive culture. I'm always fascinated by how myths and legends evolve, and this short story scratches the itch, (especially right now as a little break from the doorstopper I'm currently trying to ...more
Charles
Jul 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-story
Interesting and well paced story, ambiguously straddling the fence between historical fiction and fantasy. It has a strong female lead character who avoids many of the cliches, being neither "spunky heroine" nor weak-willed girl in search of a tall, dark, dangerous, but sensitive man. Rather, she was someone who just happened to be a woman dealing with the hand life had dealt her as best she could.
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
Jun 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novellas
Part of Darwin's Evolutions shorts (99 cent eBook). I really liked this one. The creation of myths, a community's fear (and their response), the fight for survival, and a very strong heroine. Jolan was banished from her tribe because of fear and superstition. They expected her to die on her own, but she didn't. They are now failing and need her to save them. I really hope Schneider writes more in this world. I enjoyed this first taste
Bookwormgirl
Jun 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
An interesting novella. I liked the ideas and concepts in this book; environmentalism and conservation of resources are topics than can become preachy very quickly. Here, due to the short length, preaching is avoided and the concepts work well as the driving force behind Jolan's exile and survival.

I would love to see a book with Jolan and her struggles further explored.

A good short story with interesting characters and world building.
Marlena Frank
Aug 02, 2011 rated it liked it
This was an interesting story. I loved the environment survival aspect, and the descriptions of the dry, barren landscape. And even though I liked the lead female character, she seemed rather stale and unchanging. The adventure was fun and exciting, but the insects seemed a little over powered for them to be realistic. A fun read, but just not quite as moving as I was hoping for.

Still plan to read more from this author though! There's much potential here.
Margarite Schurr
Jun 22, 2011
Margaret
Aug 03, 2014
Maria Schneider
Jun 27, 2011 marked it as my_books  ·  (Review from the author)
Lindis
Jul 08, 2017
Lisa
added it
Nov 22, 2015

If you were a character from a book, who would you be??

I'd be a dream catcher, the mystic woven spheres of the American Indian, catching the bad dreams and letting through only the good.

I'd be a dream weaver, she who tells stories woven from bits of dust and starlight.
More about Maria E. Schneider...