Start by marking “Slave Auction” as Want to Read:

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  45 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Rock
Kindle Edition
Published 2011 by Step Art Designs

To ask other readers questions about Slave Auction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slave Auction

Lindsay (Everyday Is An Adventure)
This short story was in one word - AMAZING. Another reviewer described it as a short story that packed a lot of punch and that is very accurate.

I love that it is a companion story to Missus Buck, which is about Massa Norris's mother and her relationships with the slaves at the plantation. Slave Auction focuses more Horatio's story, who is only four when he is sold from his mother and purchased by the Norris family and sent to their Texas plantation.

I was a little confused about how the "deals"
Cathy
Jul 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
Poor Horatio can't understand what's happening after the plantation's master dies. He's only four years old after all. Why has his mother been taken away from him? And why is he chained and placed on a ship?
This is a poignant story of the cruelties of slavery in forcing families apart.
He meets a kindly old slave who tells him to have courage. But he is sold and soon falls ill. When he recovers he is in a cabin with people who say they are his aunt and uncle. Will he ever understand what has hap
Tara
Jun 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a short story that packs a lot of punch. I am going to try and not give too much away. To me this was a story mostly about the emotional and mental hardships of slavery as seen by a four year old boy who gets ripped away from his mother and sent to a plantation far away. Williams writing is both plain(a good thing) and powerful at the same time. I think this style of writing is hard to accomplish and Williams does it well. My only complaint is that the story was not long enough because ...more
Rose Ann

I liked reading another aspect of Missus Buck. Little Horatio, who was seperated from his mother and bought as a (man)servant (childservant).
I have a hard time reading this part of history. It's heartbreaking and angers me.

I would love to see the author create a novel with all of these characters introduced in these two stories. I am not really a big fan of short stories...I want to know more.
She has a nice, easy writing style that is packed with emotion and history.
Tasha
Sep 01, 2012 rated it liked it
This is the start of a story about a four year old boy, Horatio, who is taken to auction along with his mother. As they were, of course, unable to negotiate for themselves, Horatio was sold away from his mother. The story follows him for several days, but there isn't much in the way of storyline or character development. The potential was there, but for me it wasn't reached.
Lyn
Jul 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a well written story about slavery. Horatio's story is heartbreaking, being sold and sent away from his mother at the age of four. The story left me wanting more. Where can I read more of Horatio's story?
Karla
May 03, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: african
The author clearly has a strong vocabulary, attention to detail and desires to evoke strong feelings regarding the inhumanity of treating people like property. There were a couple of editing errors, but nothing substantial. I felt like the short story was lacking because it seemed more like a lead in for a longer work and ended rather abrubtly. I also thought the slave owner who bought Horatio should have been able to speak in a more educated manner. Perhaps this short would have been best with ...more
Dyla
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every now and then I like to read something that reminds me how far we have come in this world. This is an excellent historical short story about a little boy during the time of slavery.

I read this ebook in one sitting.

Ms. Parker Williams - Thank you for writing your ebooks that I downloaded through Amazon - I have two of your ebooks left to read of your work. Please keep writing. :)
Debra Arnold
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
another really good short story. I just wanted more
Janie  R.
Jul 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a sad story,it brought me deep sorrow in the way humans were treated like objects!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »