Start by marking “Breverton's Phantasmagoria: A Compendium of Monsters, Myths and Legends” as Want to Read:
Breverton's Phantasmagoria: A Compendium of Monsters, Myths and Legends

Breverton's Phantasmagoria: A Compendium of Monsters, Myths and Legends

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  348 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
A superbly illustrated guide to the mysteries of myth, legend, and—gulp!—real life.
Published September 1st 2011 by Lyons Press (first published July 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Breverton's Phantasmagoria, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breverton's Phantasmagoria

Sam
This is a fantastical compendium that pulls together all the greatest myths and legends from around the world, from magical objects and legendary people and animals to mythical places and hoards of treasure. While this book doesn't have huge amounts of detail for each entry (one could only imagine the size of the book if the author tried that!) it is a superb starting point and the entries do cover the salient points, more than enough to get your imagination flowing. The author uses both contemp ...more
Alyssa
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining, clearly structured, but missed a few things if you ask me.
Angie Rhodes
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A treasure trove of Myths, Legends and Fairy Stories, I really enjoyed reading this, as it us full of everything I love, The Bogeyman, we all know about him, children all over the world, have heard stories, been frightened of looking under the bed, here you the reader get read about where the legend began, So if you want to be scared and learn about things that go bump in the night, this is for you.
Donald
Dec 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012, writer-reads
I think any personal library should have at least some reference material included. This compendium of monsters, myths, and legends by Terry Breverton certainly fits the bill.

While it is most memorable for its collection of creatures, it also includes listings of magical people and places, strange artefacts (sp), odd writings...it really is an entertaining compendium.

There are a lot of contemporary additions as well as notes going back to Pliny the elder. The index included makes it easy to zero
Katrin Kirilova
Добре. За съжаление не съм преценила колко книги мога да прочета за краткия си престой във Великобритания, и ми се наложи да грабна нещо от тук. Това е една хубаво илюстрована енциклопедия на митовете. Харесва ми, че авторът често свързва мит и наука. Също така се е постарал да вмести в 373 страници възможно най-много. Имаше любопитни неща, които не знаех. Доста исторически препратки. Подразни ме само фактът, бъдейки уелсец, той малко страда от синдромът на макадонеца и тук-там има някои съмните ...more
Julia Kamerling
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Myths, fairy tales, monsters, demons, other creatures that go bump in the night or perchance during the day. It is something that has kept mankind occupied since the beginning of time, though over time we began to believe in them less and less.
Nevertheless, there are still those among us who believe that despite the loss of faith, they exist. In our imagination.
This is the truest case for authors, like yours truly, who has been occupied with mythology since she could read. We have never stoppe
Robin Bonne
This bestiary has been invaluable to me during my current project. The cover is gorgeous, the layout is appealing, and the illustrations are lovely.
Pascal
May 05, 2018 rated it liked it
To reliant on too long quotes, but if aquired cheap a worthy investment
R.K. Cowles
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reference
2 1/2 stars
Victoria
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
I won't give it five stars simply because I didn't read every single page - this was a 'dip in and out' kind of book. I love the design of the cover and illustrations;the appearance of an obscure Victorian hardback worked really well with the creepy subject matter. Information was easy to find and understand whilst also sprinkled with a tad of humour here and there. I'm not a massive non-fiction or encyclopedia fan, but I really enjoyed flicking through this, it covered the subject of myth and l ...more
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-my-shelf
I really like the way the book is divided up into sections to grab your interest. From monsters and legends to manuscripts and weird books to strange people and bizarre occurrences. It makes it easy to just flick to a page that catches your eye and you can end up getting lost in the chapters that follow.

It gives brief examples of the kind of things that people thought and believed in the not so distant past. It's a fun book you can easily dip in and out of and there'll always be something new an
Meh. This book is set up as a sort of encyclopedia covering a variety of supernatural oddities which I assume interested the author. And some entries are interesting, but Breverton has the habit of quoting from several medieval sources, all of which seem to repeat each other. So it comes across as repetitive, even within the rather brief framework of the entries. I wish I hadn't paid cash money for this. Not enough meat to justify the price.
Kelsey
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There's no other book like this! And if you happen to find one sort of like it, trust me. This one is better. The master index of all things mystical, mythical, creepily religious, and blood sucking. One of my all time favorite books!
Christopher
Jan 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Way too credulous, and occasionally screws up confirmed historical facts in minor fashion--but the large amount of strange materials and loads of cool etched illustrations make it worthwhile.
Michelle
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book you can dip in and out of whenever it takes your fancy...
Linda De Preste
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book. There is so much information.
Kevinjwoods
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
The only real problem it has is that just slightly too many of the articles are based on Pliny and Isidore of Seville which means it's not quite definitive.
James Taylor
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fun easy reference book on all manner of manner of myths. It hasn't picked up some recent scholarship on some Scottish myths, but hey-hoh that's a minr quibble.
Chiara
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book! so full of weird creatures and random facts, you sure don't wanna miss it.
Elizabeth Judd Taylor
Another fun book to dip in and out of--it's chock full of information on all things mythological and mysterious. Lots of fun, and great illustrations.
Gary
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books, horror
Excellent. Comprehensive with beautiful (and occasionally creepy) illustrations. Highly recommended!
GONZA
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cool book either for the topic or for the way it is written, it seemed like an old Encyclopedia!

Libro figo, sia per l'argomento che per com'é scritto: sembra una vecchia enciclopedia!
Alex
Oct 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Unfortunately, the tone veers from too credulous to too skeptical, but that doesn't damage the value of this book as a collection of curiousities.
Phoebe
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
An excellent reference book for fantastic creatures, people and places. Highly recommended for fantasy writers.
Tina
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Found this while sight seeing in San Diego. The cover alone screams buy me but the book itself makes it worth it
Sheena Macneil
Apr 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very intersting read! I found that it fit so well into the feel of Oct.
S. Simge
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply fascinating...
Amanda (awesome)
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous little index to creepy crawlies.
Tasha
Mar 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Exciting and original!
Susan
Nov 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fairly good... Annoyingly vague in some places, but aside from that...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Book of Three
  • Charmed Book of Love Spells
  • How to Make a Zombie: The Real Life (and Death) Science of Reanimation and Mind Control
  • Duality (Guardians of the Light #1)
  • Best-Loved Poems
  • Hole's Essentials of Human Anatomy and Physiology
  • Witches, a tale of Scandal, Sorcery and Seduction
  • Legend of the Mer (Legend of the Mer, #1)
  • Seasons of the Witch, Vol. 1 (Charmed)
  • The Sacred History: How Angels, Mystics and Higher Intelligence Made Our World
  • The Study Skills Handbook
  • The Faith Trials (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Novelizations, #10)
  • The Worst Street In London
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Ghosts & Hauntings : The Ultimate A-Z of Spirits, Mysteries and the Paranormal
  • The People: The Rise and Fall of the Working Class, 1910-2010
  • Black Cats and April Fools: Origins of Old Wives Tales and Superstitions in Our Daily Lives
  • Truth and Consequences (Charmed, #21)
  • Kind Regards: The Lost Art of Letter-Writing