Start by marking “Rogue Squadron (Star Wars: X-Wing, #1)” as Want to Read:
Rogue Squadron (Star Wars: X-Wing, #1)

Rogue Squadron

(Star Wars: X-Wing #1)

They are sleek, swift, and deadly. The are the X-wing fighters. And as the struggle rages across the vastness of space, the fearless men and women who pilot them risk both their lives and their machines. Their mission: to defend the Rebel Alliance against a still-powerful and battle-hardened Imperial foe in a last-ditch effort to control the stars!

Its very name strikes fea
Published June 21st 2011 by Spectra (first published January 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Rogue Squadron, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rogue Squadron

Start your review of Rogue Squadron (Star Wars: X-Wing, #1)
Lyn
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Star Wars fun.

Michael Stackpole’s 1996 Star Wars expansion novel provides a great deal of meaningful backstory and detail for fans of the Star Wars films and universe.

Set a few years after the battle of Endor, when the Rebel Alliance has defeated both Death Stars and what’s left of the Empire is on the ropes, Stackpole continues the story and from the perspective of some of the minor players from the films, but fun characters to explore. Wedge Antilles and Admiral Ackbar are provided front
Jonathan
Feb 06, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone's ever locked their S-foils into attack position
Shelves: starwars
As I’ve chronicled elsewhere, the end of my once-indiscriminate love of everything Star Wars roughly coincided with my graduation from high school and the deepening of my appreciation for more complex, philosophical literature. I did, however, carry a handful of my favorite Expanded Universe books along with me to college, and Michael Stackpole’s (and later Aaron Allston’s) X-wing series was among them. Over the years they’d gotten a few rereads, but lately it had been awhile since I’d spent an ...more
Jerry
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Quickie Review

The start of one of the best-loved series within the Star Wars Expanded Universe, Rogue Squadron is a fun and enjoyable read with plenty of new characters. Fans of the EU who have yet to try these books definitely should.

Score: 4/5

EDIT: After suffering through the shark jump that was The Last Jedi, I needed a reminder of why I became a fan of Star Wars...and this did the trick. Forget the new movies; the Expanded Universe is the true successor to the original trilogy. Maybe, some
Malum
I am going with 2 stars here, but it might not actually be the book's fault.

I got the audiobook version of this and, as I am listening to it, I just kept thinking "This book is a total clustertruck. What is going on here?". I then found out that the audiobook version of this novel is HEAVILY abridged, and it really, really shows. Whoever abridged this must have just slammed their head into the button that cuts parts out over and over until they finally lapsed into unconsciousness.

It had some c
Crystal Starr Light
Jul 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gonna take you right into the Danger Zone - Top Gun for Star Wars fanatics
It's two years after the events in Return of the Jedi and Wedge Antilles is recreating the infamous Rogue Squadron. He gathers together the best of the best: Corran Horn, Corellian ex-Cor Sec, Nawarra Ven, Twi'Lek attorney, Ooryl Qorg, a Gand pilot, Bror Jace, an arrogant Thyferran ace and more. And then there is Tycho Celchu, a Rebel pilot who was once a prisoner of the Empire...and may be a spy...
NOTE: Based on audiobo
Amelia Nichole Defield
I've read this book quite a few times. The most recent reading (2018), I have to say the thing that impresses me the most about this book is the fact that it get so much done. Twists, turns, laughs, tears. It's all here.

I have a hard time getting into some of the other Star Wars books because I always compare them to the X-Wing Series. I'm going to be getting the comics next.
Michael Otway
Feb 14, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Seinfeld was the show about nothing.. And this is the book about nothing. 400 pages of talking, exposition, training simulations, 1 dimensional characters and NO STORY.

Getting to the end of this was brutal. Every word of it I forced myself through. Every single page I was counting forward to where the chapter finished just so I could stop. At 300 pages, I gave up and read another book then figured I should come back and finish it. But it was hard work.

Every character is 1 dimensional with no dep
Jess Saxton
Feb 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-wars
The pilots of the elite Rogue Squadron get their own series in these novels by Michael Stackpole. These books were a great part of my adolescence, and as such, I have a lot of praise for them.

In 'Rogue Squadron,' Wedge Antilles, Rebel hero and founding member is tasked with building a brand-new Rogue Squadron to act not only as an elite fighting force, but also as a symbol of the New Republic and their continuing fight against the remnants of the Empire led by Director of Imperial Intelligence,
Sara J. (kefuwa)
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: star wars fans, people who played those X-WING/TIE Fighter games?
Okay. I can't remember the plot *at all*. But I do remember that I really enjoyed reading this series despite being a bit sceptical on the outset (ventured into it based on gushing reviews from a friend). I wouldn't know how it holds up right now though. Tempted to do a re-read... but TBR pile so win. LOL.
Megan
Jan 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, scifi, star-wars
Oh, wow. That's a very good way to start a review off, isn't it? I had forgotten just how excellent these books are. In spite of the fact that I love I, Jedi and have read it repeatedly, I just haven't gotten around to re-reading Corran's original series since the first time in '99.

The X-Wing series is one of the best ideas for a series anyone has ever had. It came out in 1996, with well over a dozen predecessors -- which meant that its early place in the timeline (the next step in the timeline
Jenny T
I enjoyed the original Star Wars trilogy but had never considered myself a fan until now. The Force Awakens triggered it, and Michael Stackpole has really cemented it. Rogue Squadron is a treat, and it's a crime that it's no longer considered canon. Wedge Antilles (a Commander now) has reformed the squadron with some fantastic pilots. There's plenty of space action, but what I particularly enjoyed were the characters.

I think what initially turned me off to Star Wars was the mysticism and aloofn
Alex
Dec 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read these when I was younger, but I forgot that they just feel so good. Like the dogfights feel right and the tight knit crack squadron vibe comes through. This is trash, sure, but it's good trash.
Alec Engerson
They were just publishing anything, huh?
David
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book, this one novel was better than any of the recent movies that have come out. A good straight story of good vs evil with no ideological agendas being rammed in.
If I have any complaints it would be that no one seemed to be in any real danger and I wasn't anxious about if any of the characters would die. Things cleaned up too nicely sometimes. Apart from that, I really enjoyed the book. Can't wait to read the next book.
Jordan Lahn
When I think back about the first time I read this book, I'm overwhelmed with nostalgia. I read this book way back in the late ninties, when I was no more than 11 or 12. As soon as my Dad got the Star Wars Trilogy Special Edition VHS set in 96 or 97, I was hooked, and immediately started spending saving up my allowance and spending it on the variety of Star Wars novels which, while clearly written for readers somewhat above the third grade level, captured my imagination. And few of those novels ...more
Felicity
Dec 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Old-school Star Wars fans
Recommended to Felicity by: Ryan Grove

This is a book that does what it says on the tin, which is more impressive than you might think. My first flirtation with Star Wars tie-in novels was disappointing, despite the fact that I was ten years old and ready to like anything with Princess Leia on the cover. Unlike the novels that were such a mixed bag for my younger self, this series focuses in on new and secondary characters, rather than trying to ventriloquize the main characters. It also focuses on non-mystical adventures, r
Peter Hale
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people that are starting SW books
Recommended to Peter by: DiscoSpacePanther
I was told by many friends and people in the SW fan circles that Michael Stackpole and Aaron Allston's "stack" of X-Wing novels were the kings of the SW literature franchise. I listened to these peoples and went and spent five bucks on the first book, Rogue Squadron.

I do not know what events happen in the seven-plus series, but this was not a masterpiece. In fact, it went nowhere and was quite bland. The plot literally doesn't start 'til the end, and it's extremely anticlimatic. The book, in fa
Ethan
Feb 11, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I succumbed to boredom and failed to finish this book. I made it all the way to page 95: at that stage in a book, I should be thoroughly engaged. There should be an interesting conflict, some tension (Stackpole manages to immediately defuse almost every tense situation), or interesting characters, or something...anything. But no, the dialogue was bland and uninteresting, the characters mushed together in my mind (except for wunderkind Corran Horn, the unfortunate protagonist, who just plain irri ...more
Mark
If you are like me, a fun part of your childhood was playing X-Wing and TIE Fighter on your family's old PC. You may have even had to do something like use a boot disk (3.5") or run it in MS-DOS. It was harder to get much cooler than locking your own S-foils into attack position.

Thus, Rogue Squadron, which feeds the natural SW fan tendency to gravitate towards obscure characters from the movies (Wedge Antilles, who's awesome) and adds in a certain Top Gun feel because you're dealing with hotshot
Bryan
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gloriously cheesy. My head tells me that 4 stars is high for this book, but my heart won't be denied in this instance. One of my favourite series of novels growing up, featuring many of my favourite characters from the Star Wars Expanded Universe (RIP). Wedge Antilles finally gets the star treatment he has deserved for so long. Just about every single chapter ends with a lame speech, the good guys always win, and our hero Corran Horn is a textbook Mary Sue. If you can get past all of that, you'r ...more
Kate
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
I first read Rogue Squadron at about age 13; however, I didn’t continue with the series as the first book didn’t make much of an impression on me. (Maybe I was just missing the Solo-Skywalkers?) Something must have changed over the years, because after this reread of Rogue Squadron, I’m almost embarrassed to admit how much I enjoyed it. Does it really deserve a 5 star rating? Probably not, but I never could resist some classic feel-good Star Wars fun. The villains are cartoonish, the writing of ...more
Melinda Lane
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THIS. I love seeing Wedge Antilles get more time, he makes it through the movies, he's a top fighter pilot, I love seeing him commanding. Well written, well done, what should be expected of a Star Wars book. I read it when it first came out and have recently re-read it. It was just as good the second time around.
Brayden Raymond
Apr 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
It might be a legends storyline but I just have a thing for Fighter pilots and their adventures. Be it Alphabet Squadron or Rogue Squadron. I can't get enough. I'll likely end up reading the rest of this series despite it no longer being Canon because Stackpole does such a good job with his characterization and I find the space combat scenes to be most rewarding.
Daniel Kukwa
Nov 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
A fairly solid "pilot episode" for the Rogue Squadron series. It's mostly set-up, lots of exposition, and lots of battle writing (which tends to make my eyes go cross-eyed). Many of the characters don't exactly grab my attention, but it sets up plot lines for the future with great efficiency, and is very readable. It's not a "Star Wars" novel that will rock your world, but it makes for a pleasant introduction to a particular branch of the Lucasverse.
Sam Hval
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This checks all the boxes: Dogfighting, explosive action, humor, and a touch of romance. Most importantly, it offers engaging characters that sets up a whole saga of it's own. A great start, but there a LOT of characters and they all get introduced a little too fast. I think the book would have benefitted from some slight trimming. Either way, I'm excited to read the next one.
Nate Adams
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Herdis Marie
So ... Michael Stackpole is not a particularly good writer. Michael Stackpole makes video games. It is abundantly clear when reading this book that its author is more interested in cool space battles and flying craft than he is in creating believable characters or building a coherent plot.

I want to like absolutely all SW related stuff, but there were many reasons this book fell short in that category. Let's break it down a bit.

Characters

Nawara Ven has brain tails. That is his physical attribute,
P
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Wedge is cool.

Other than that, the members of the Squadron are largely indistinguishable, the tactical action is confusing, and women are invariably described as slender with long, shapely legs.
Erin
I picked up this title because I was in the mood to try a Star Wars novel and this series was highly recommended by several friends and other Star Wars fans. However, I was disappointed in this one.

Now I know that reading about spaceship battles cannot be even half as exciting as watching it on the screen, with all the special effects to back up the action (even the older effects of the original trilogy), but this was worse than I had expected. All the space battles are bogged down with lots of
J.
Mar 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I type this review, I’m already about halfway through the second book in the series. I’ve been a bit under the weather as a result of what I estimate to be a catastrophic influx of pollen in the air as well as stress induced from mid-terms this semester. When you start caring about your grades, university work becomes a bit more intimidating. As such, I’m sorry for the manner which these updates have been prepared but such is the way of life.

After the disappointing Shadows of the Empire I was
Star Wars Bookwor...: Rogue Squadron Chapters 31-40 7 30 Jul 20, 2015 02:41PM
Star Wars Bookwor...: Rogue Squadron Chapters 21-30 3 21 Jul 10, 2015 02:30PM
Star Wars Bookwor...: Rogue Squadron Chapters 11-20 3 23 Jun 29, 2015 03:41AM
Star Wars Bookwor...: Rogue Squadron Chapters 1-10 4 42 Jun 15, 2015 11:35PM
The Expanded Univ...: The X-wing series 24 73 Sep 24, 2014 01:42AM

• The Truce at Bakura (Star Wars)
  • Jedi Search (Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy, #1)
  • Ambush at Corellia (Star Wars: The Corellian Trilogy, #1)
  • Before the Storm (Star Wars : Black Fleet Crisis, #1)
  • The Courtship of Princess Leia (Star Wars)
  • Tatooine Ghost
  • Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina (Star Wars)
  • Shadows of the Empire (Star Wars)
  • Champions of the Force (Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy, #3)
  • The Last Command (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, #3)
  • Darksaber (Star Wars: The Callista Trilogy, #2)
  • Dark Apprentice (Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy, #2)
  • Specter of the Past (Star Wars: The Hand of Thrawn Duology, #1)
  • Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor (Star Wars)
  • Dark Force Rising (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, #2)
  • Heir to the Empire (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, #1)
  • Assault at Selonia (Star Wars: The Corellian Trilogy, #2)
  • Showdown at Centerpoint (Star Wars: The Corellian Trilogy, #3)

Star Wars: X-Wing (10 books)
  • Wedge's Gamble (Star Wars: X-Wing, #2)
  • The Krytos Trap (Star Wars: X-Wing, #3)
  • The Bacta War (Star Wars: X-Wing, #4)
  • Wraith Squadron (Star Wars: X-Wing, #5)
  • Iron Fist (Star Wars: X-Wing, #6)
  • Solo Command (Star Wars: X-Wing, #7)
  • Isard's Revenge (Star Wars: X-Wing, #8)
  • Starfighters of Adumar (Star Wars: X-Wing, #9)
  • Mercy Kill (Star Wars: X-Wing, #10)