Start by marking “10 Little Rubber Ducks” as Want to Read:

10 Little Rubber Ducks

Ahoy! This classic from the New York Times bestselling author of The Very Hungry Caterpillar and The Grouchy Ladybug stars 10 little rubber ducks and their globe-trotting adventures. In Eric Carle’s poignant and funny story, illustrated with strikingly designed collages, readers are taken on an exciting voyage of discovery.

"Ducks overboard!" shouts the captain, as a giant
Published June 7th 2005 by HarperCollins (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about 10 Little Rubber Ducks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 10 Little Rubber Ducks

Mandy
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute book with great illustrations for kids! I love ducks so I'm a sucker for a book with them in it :)
Katelyn
1. Counting

2. 10 rubber ducks are made and shipped out to be sold, but their box fell off of the cargo ship. One by one they float to new destinations.

3. A - The illustrations are sweet. Eric Carle’s style is somewhat recognizable to children, which can be comforting. The story line is decent, I think this is better for younger children who are just starting to learn their numbers.

B- The strengths were based on number representation, and the repetition of certain lines. This can be positive
Carrie Adair (Cat on the Bookshelf)
In this counting book, ten little rubber ducks fall out of their box into the ocean. Each travels and sees other animals. The last rubber duck is adopted by a mother duck. The duck squeaks with a push of a button.

It's a sweet little book illustrated by collage. I like the plot and the illustrations.
Asher H.K.
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like counting ducks
Laura Gibbs
Sep 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is really kind of cool simply because it is based on a true story, taken from a 1992 newspaper. The basic story line is that 10 little rubber ducks are painted, put into cargo boxes and loaded onto a cargo ship, and are floating in the ocean on the ship until a storm hits. Once the storm hits, they are knocked into the sea and the ocean waves begin to scatter them all over the place. This book teaches counting; as it counts each duck, it tells of its encounter. For example: the first d ...more
Gail Westover
I wasn't crazy about this one and neither were my grandkids. The illustrations were bright and colorful, but there were a lot that were just plain boring. Some of the animals were huge and scary, especially the octopus. A few of my kids were afraid they were going to eat the ducks. Some of the text was strange. He repeated the last 4 or 5 words at the end of the sentence. Why?

Anyway, not my favorite Eric Carle book.
Chris Young
Jul 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
A shipment of rubber ducks falls into the middle of the ocean. The ten ducks drift their separate ways and encounter various animals found in and around oceans around the world. This might have been charming had I not just read Tracking Trash, which describes the true story of the lost shipment of tub toys that Carle's book is based on. I kept picturing the various animals swallowing the toy ducks and dying from impaction. Maybe kids will find the story to be cute, but I wasn't impressed.
Karen Dransfield
This story was inspired by a real event where there was a storm and 28,800 bath toys were lost at sea when a container load fell overboard and all the people who have been looking for them since this happened. Oceanographers have been following their paths to study currents etc. Beautiful artwork by Eric Carle.
Bookishrealm
Okay the only thing I'm going to say is that as a 24 year old adult I was completed amused by this book. I mean it made sounds.
Meryem.
read it to my little brother and he loved it!
Helen
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Read this millions of times with my daughter when she was a baby. Despite her best efforts, she was not able to chew and destroy the very thick pages which are all made of wipeable hardboard. On the final page, there is a delightful, yellow rubber ducky embedded on the inner cover which squeaks when pressed. My daughter used to get very excited as the story drew to an end, in anticipation of that little duck. A charming story, with beautiful illustrations. I adore this book.

She is much older no
Jordyn Matthews
10 Little Rubber Ducks, written by Eric Carle, is a book about ten little rubber ducks that are all packaged up together and shipped away on a boat. However, one stormy night they all fall off and drift apart in different directions, one left, one right, one South, one North, one East, one West, and so on. On this adventure, each duck encounters and becomes friends with different animals from different parts of the world depending on which way they travel.

I believe that this book could be incor
Katie Page
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Genre: Picture Book: Counting Book
Awards: n/a
Audience: 3-7 years old
A. 10 Little Rubber Ducks presents numbers 1-10, in sequence using simple sentences and captivating collage illustrations through the story of these ten rubber ducks who get thrown overboard and drift away.
B. Eric Carle’s use of texture throughout the images in 10 Little Rubber Ducks adds life and draws the reader in to each detail of the pictures. The texture in the illustrations also provides an added l
Brooke Loewen
Inspired by true events, "10 Little Rubber Ducks" is about a flock of rubber ducks who, after falling off a ship, become separated from the one another in the ocean. One their journey to being reunited, each duck crosses paths with a new animal that is also home either in or near the ocean. Carle's artwork was enjoyable in this book, as it is with all of his others. Carle has a very distinct style about his illustrations which can be beneficial in identifying his artwork amongst others. Thinking ...more
Katie Easter
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Genre: Realistic Fiction
Grade Level: preK-Kindergarten

This wonderfully illustrated book by Eric Carle is so cute! I love the idea of the entire story beginning to end. I also really like how it focuses on directions. The book would be a great tool when teaching students up and down, left and right, and north, south east, and west. This is perfect book for preK and even Kindergarten.

Kelly
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Strictly from a child's perspective, this is an amazing book! Colorful, an opportunity to count, some relation to direction...it has so much.

Ten little rubber ducks accidentally get thrown overboard from a shipping boat. This is the story of their journey.
Melissa
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-for-kids
Eric Carle is, as always, quite delightful. This book follows the adventures of ten little ducks and is loosely based on a real story. A great read which we all thoroughly enjoyed.
Nathan
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute! I appreciated that the author explained where this story came from.
kim
well done. only bit that irritates me is when the text repeats/echoes. why why why
Mely
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
How can you not love Eric Carle books? A cute interactive book we use with our own rubber duckies. The squeaky rubber duck at the end is just too adorable.
Liz De Coster
Visually lovely but the font seems a little small for a read-aloud book.
Ashley Frickson
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
10 little rubber ducks fall from a cargo ship carrying them across the sea. They all float in different directions and have different encounters with animals.
Jeremy
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read with grandma via FaceTime for nighttime storytime.
James
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Joseph
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books

A very good author for kids books.
M.
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great illustrations!
Pam
Sep 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute book with squeak button at end that my listener enjoyed pushing over and over.
Kristin
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for infants to teach them about numbers and counting!!
Jill
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: story-hour-books
Super cute and fun read. My kids loved it when I read it at Story Hour today. They loved naming all of the sea creatures and birds etc. that found the rubber ducks.
N
Cute book inspired by a true story of a bunch of rubber ducks that went overboard a shipping ship. It has a quacking noise button in the back that explains the very thick back cover.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• We All Went on Safari
  • Click, Clack, Splish, Splash: A Counting Adventure
  • The Lamb and the Butterfly
  • Baby Bear, Baby Bear, What Do You See?
  • Ten Little Fish
  • Curious George in the Snow
  • The Foolish Tortoise
  • Tell Me Again About the Night I Was Born
  • How Do Dinosaurs Count to Ten?
  • Hooray For Fish!
  • This Is New York
  • Higher! Higher!
  • Dinosaurs, Dinosaurs
  • 365 Penguins
Eric Carle (born June 25, 1929) is a children's book author and illustrator, most famous for his book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, which has been translated into over 30 languages. Since The Very Hungry Caterpillar was published in 1969, Eric Carle has illustrated more than seventy books, many best sellers, most of which he also wrote, and more than 71 million copies of his books have sold around ...more