Start by marking “The Maiden Bride” as Want to Read:
The Maiden Bride

The Maiden Bride

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  278 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Born in shame...

All her life the ravishing Linnea de Valcourt has been reviled as the "cursed" daughter of Maindenstone Castle.

Redeemed by deceit...

Now, to save her beloved twin sister from a terrible fate, she will sacrifice herself by impersonating her as the bride of conqueror Axton de la Manse. Yet how is it that she feels such fiery passion when she lies with this gri
Published September 15th 1996 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The Maiden Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Maiden Bride

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)
"Jim, how can you not like historicals?"

"I just don't like the genre. I think it's all the 'I'm the man and you have no choice in anything you do' thing. Or maybe I just tend to hate rape books."

"I finished one that I think you will like. You should give it a shot."

"Is the heroine a simpering idiot?"

"No, she's strong and brave."

"Is there any rape?"

"Not in the bodice ripping sense, no."

"Okay I'll try it."

And thus I was committed. And I'm paraphrasing here a conversation I tend to have about three
Sue Sherman
Feb 23, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2012-reads
It's not that I expected fine literature or anything...but this was a disappointment. The story was thin, the character development was uneven and there was very little to flesh out the historical backdrop. The characters didn't leave you much to root for- even the main character got tiresome. 'He's abusive! I hate him! Wait- he's going to put the moves on me and I can't resist!'
Snore.
Joan
Jun 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
I read this book when it was first published. I'm one of the ones who loved it. It was easy to place myself in Linnea's shoes and wonder how I would have felt had I been the second twin and "cursed." I suppose I would have been angry, too. It was good to see her move beyond the past and be willing to risk love.
Cindy Hendricks
Mar 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
It was a bit raunchy I had to read it twice!!
Judith Jones
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a really good story and she keeps you guessing all the way through the book. I will read more of this author in the future as she is a vey good writer.
Donyae Coles
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was a standard romance novel but it was quick and engaging. Very steamy. Which I like in a romance.
Kathleen Crowell
not the time period for me. while I believe there is some historical accuracy to the relationship dynamics between men and women--I don't find it appealing as a romance.
Nessa
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
HOW CAN ANYONE RATE THIS A 2 STARS?! WELL I ENJOYED EVERY ANGSTY SECOND!

This book certainly kept me glued to my seat the whole day and I am ever satisfied with it.

OUR HERO is hell bent on revenge and reclaiming his birth right, the manor in which was stolen by the heroine's family. He is ruthless and has a menacing aura that people are afraid of him and when he has won the war between the families, Linnea takes the place of her twin to wed him as a way for him to further strengthen his hold on t
katie
Mary Kate
Jan 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Not nearly as good as Becnel's other books but an interesting read. I found the story a little far fetched at moments. But it turned into a fun guilty pleasure novel once I got past the things I found unbelievable.

One thing that ALWAYS gets me with romance novels. Usually whenever the heroine in the novel winds up hurting the guy, he resorts to hurting her by claiming he's had sex with other women.

For instance, once Axton became aware of Linnea's betrayal, he had two "wenches" sent up to his r
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 May 01, 2017 06:37PM
  • Edin's Embrace
  • Risk Everything (The Blackthorn Trilogy, #3)
  • My Lord Conqueror
  • The Ground She Walks Upon
  • Gypsy Lady (Louisiana #1)
  • Saxon Bride (Bride #4)
  • The Lily And The Sword (Medieval, #1)
  • Desert Hostage
  • Viking!
  • Uncertain Destiny
  • The Fire of Spring
  • Return to Santa Flores
  • The Warlord's Bride (King John,  #4)
Rexanne Becnel is the author of more than twenty historical romance and contemporary mainstream novels, many of which appeared on the USA Today bestseller list. With the publication of her first novel, My Gallant Enemy, Becnel won the Waldenbooks Award for Best First-Time Romance Author and the Romantic Times Award for Best Medieval Romance by a New Author. While growing up, Becnel lived for a tim ...more
More about Rexanne Becnel...