Start by marking “Circus of the Damned (Anita Blake Vampire Hunter, #3)” as Want to Read:
Circus of the Damned (Anita Blake Vampire Hunter, #3)

Circus of the Damned (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #3)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  82,727 Ratings  ·  1,464 Reviews
In "Circus of the Damned"-now in hardcover for the first time-a rogue master vampire hits town, and Anita gets caught in the middle of an undead turf war. Jean-Claude, the Master Vamp of the city, wants her for his own-but his enemies have other plans. And to make matters worse, Anita takes a hit to the heart when she meets a stunningly handsome junior high science teacher ...more
Published April 6th 2004 by Berkley Hardcover (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Circus of the Damned, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Circus of the Damned

Evgeny
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
“Jesus, are all vampires over two hundred perverts?"
"I am over two hundred," Jean-Claude said.
"I rest my case.”

I postponed writing this review for as long as I could. Then I postponed it again. Then again. Finally I realized I need to do it right now before I forget what is was about. The reason was I have no clue how to rate the book. I was hoping for a bright idea, a Eureka! moment, something. Nothing came. And here I am as clueless as I was right after finishing.
Clueless

So about the plot of Circus
HFK
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to HFK by: Jessica
Shelves: paidkindle, fantasies
Buddy read with Jessica. Our Anita Blake marathon continues with the third installment in the series, and it is scarily starting to cause déjà vu's because I am pretty sure I have gone down this same bumpy road with our previous buddy read series: Pretty Little Liars. What makes it scary is the fact that I know the disaster is coming, and hitting me hard enough to get myself all worked up in the near future, yet I am too busy eating my guilty pleasure cookies while dwelling inside this urban fan ...more
Jilly

Well, it's not going to be Anita. This girl is obsessed with her Nikes. Nikes are mentioned in this book so many times that if you played a drinking game with "Nike" as your word, you would be smashed by the halfway point of the book.

But, don't worry, she always color coordinates her Nikes with a sporty fanny pack. To look more fashionable, of course.

So, even though we want to picture Anita like this:

She is actually more like this:

So, in this book we have a pack of vampires murdering people. An
Bark
Jan 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, horror
I am really enjoying my rereading of this series. Going back to the beginning of the series has reminded me why I continue to read along even though it has morphed into another beast entirely. These early books were so great because the men and the sex weren’t the focus of the entire freaking plot.

Here Anita is still working as an animator and an assistant to preternatural police force. Anita has a full plate, as usual, after a full night of corpse raising, she’s then hounded by members of “the
Crystal Starr Light
"Your questions will make something simple last all...day."

Just three books in, and already we can see a pattern forming. Dudes come to Anita to have her do something; she says, in no uncertain terms, "No". Dolph calls her to investigate a murder; it ends up being the weirdest, most unusual murder Anita has ever seen. Jean-Claude makes the moves on her; Anita tells him to F@#$ off. Anita does minor investigating, bad guys come out of the woodworks to try to kill her, Anita is rude and sarcastic
Cassandra
Feb 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
Without a doubt, better than the first two. I really like Jean-Claud. He is the reason I am reading these books. I have never wanted a bad guy to get the girl before, it's fun. Anita was a bit disappointing. I'm beginning to wonder if Jean-Claud deserves better.

The swearing is excessive and redundant. And I realize that in a series you have to make each book a stand alone and therefore have to explain the same thing several times. But does it have to be word for word? There are literally paragra
Tilly Slaton
Oct 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Laurell Hamilton’s work. The Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series is outstanding!

The first two books in this series, Guilty Pleasures and The Laughing Corpse are amazing pieces of work.

This book declares no less awesomeness. This is the book that wraps you around the series and pulls everything together. This book is really the beginning of the journey that whips and turns you into a reality that is completely twisted, morbid and simply put, cool!

Anita Blake is introduced to a few character
Nicole
Feb 12, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

For all the Anita Blake books - I started this series with my then friend, Meredith - she actually got me hooked that fateful summer of 2000 when I was living on her wooden floor in Brooklyn. We were both unemployed and bored and got hooked into this series. I loved Anita Blake because it was before I discovered the new genre - what I like to call "badass chicks who kick ass!" written in first person - and so she was all empowering and of course there were hot vampires and werewolves in it.

Unfo

Wanda
I’m still enjoying the Anita Blake series, although I have to tell you, Anita does not seem like a 24 year old character to me. I think she would be much more believable as someone in her late 30’s or early 40’s considering how jaded she seems to be and how experienced she thinks she is.

I wonder if Hamilton got any money from Nike for product placement? It seems like she mentions the shoes by name at least once per chapter. Although I suppose I could say the same thing about 2-3 brands of gun….
Damecatoe
I also thought the premise of Anita Blake was pretty cool. She's an Animator, see? She raises zombies for a living. And vampires are legal citizens. Eventually, she's supposed to get involved with both a vampire and a werewolf. I say eventually cause even though I thought this was a central theme of the books, I've read 2 and a half of them and there have been nary a creature-of-the-night and vampire hunter smoochie. I take that back. There was one, but it was one of those contrived "fake kiss s ...more
taveena kade
things are started to heat up...drama here i come!!
Katherine Madison
Kami
Jan 04, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely hated the book. Maybe it's a case of reading too many in the series so close together but I am so done with the love/hate thing Anita has with Jean-Claude and her supposed badass attitude. The writing misses the mark trying to create what I would consider a strong dominant character and instead the character comes across as very insecure, hates herself and everyone around her and has a really lousy sense of fashion. Maybe others like that kind of psychological baggage but it's not for ...more
Phire
Circus of the Damned did not scare me or grossed me out as much as Guilty Pleasures or The Laughing Corpse. I also didn't like it as much as the last two books of the series.

Jean-Claude is turning Anita's life into one hell of a big mess; Anita is firstly baited by a vampire Master called Alejandro, who controls a pack of rabid vampires who have chewing up people and leaving them on the cemetery. Alejandro wishes to know who is the Vampire Master controlling the city of St.Louis, and his where h
Selin
May 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ve sonunda lanetliler sirki bitti,öncelikle çok kaliteli bir kitaptı,gerek dialoglardan gerek betimlemelerden usluptan kolayca anlaşılıyor zaten... İki kitaptır sadece çok sevildiği için bir şans daha verdiğimden okuyordum ama bu kitaptan sonra 4.yü büyük bir heycanla alacğım.
Bir şeyi söylemeden geçemem anita hayran kalınacak bir karakterdi,ama bazen o inadı insanı çileden çıkaracak noktaya ulaşabiliyordu. Yan karakterlere bayıldm dolph ve polisler,larry hatta bert süperdi :D erkeklere sylenicek
Donna
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I've read 4 books in this series, and I enjoy the entertainment value of them. They are just fun! I love Jean-Claude. The narrator does a great job on his voice, as well as with the other characters. I always love a good narrator. I also like the MC, Anita. She is, for the most part, humorous. Sometimes the dialog feels forced and causes some eye rolling, but for the most part it keeps me interested. As long as I can say that and mean it, I'll keep reading more in this series.
Tonya
Jan 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far this book is the best in the series. I am only on book 4. They keep getting better. The ending was dramatic and had me immediately reaching for book 4 (Lunatic Cafe).
Jennymort ♔ The Dark Lord ♔ House of Slytheread ♔ Sailor Jupiter ♔ Siren
description

I don't like Richard the bitch. He annoys me greatly.

description

I don't like my "supposed-alpha-wolfman" acting like a pussy whipped idiot.

Jean Claude all the fucking way.
Myvampfiction
Jun 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
review by Ciara

*Warning: possible spoilers ahead.*

Circus of the Damned, the third of the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series by Laurell K. Hamilton, opens with Anita meeting with members of Humans First, an organization campaigning to have vampires criminalized again.

They ask for the daytime resting place of the Master of the City. Anita refuses, but there is a bit of deliberation. Not so long ago, she would have believed that staking a vampire wasn’t murder. Things have changed over the course o
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
Now this book, this probably is my second best in the series. I loved almost everything in it.

The most important pro is that there is Edward to be had. Cold, ruthless Edward with a soft spot for Anita but for Anita the friend, maybe even Anita the baby sister, not Anita the "sex bomb".

Then we have the first Richard appearance. Damn but the guy was full of potential. Charming and full of humour. The Richard we meet in this book has nothing to do with the whinny, cruel, jealous SOB he becomes late
Oct 08, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My main gripe with this book is that it could have been pretty good, but it wasn't.

First of all, Mr. Oliver fails as the ultimate scary vampire. He is mildly manipulative, but doesn't come across as all that powerful. The most powerful act he does is stand next to sunlight. Not particularly frightening. He doesn't even have control on his underlings. He is the most powerful vampire on earth and he's forced to live as a nomad? He's too vulnerable at the end and is easily staked with Anita's "Ha!
Bunnycore
I don't have much to say about this one with the exception I believe this was the moment that I started to fall in love with that Frenchman. I have to say that I love the visual that LKH brings in this book. I love every part of him. I can not wait for the two of them to come together.

so here since I do not have an official review for you have some saucy men images..

I am honestly curious what other people think their male characters would look like?

Rebecca
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I enjoyed the first two books in the series but this one didn't work for me. I'm deducting a full star from my rating because Jean-Claude sucks (you SUCK Jean-Claude). He dresses like a reject from "Purple Rain" and seems to need to attend a few seminars on the nature of consent and yet Anita thinks she might love him a little. Or something. Whatever. Their "relationship" has always been the weakest part of the three books I've read so far (and yes, I know the author switches from UF to erotica ...more
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
This one was actually pretty good. While reading this, I was thinking, 3 books in and the series is really good. I like that Anita is flawed but she has personality and some character development. Even the tension between her and Jean Claude I kind of like.

Which makes me nervous, since I hear the rest of the series isn't as good as the first couple of books in. For now, I'll try to keep up with some of the books in the series. Maybe I'll read the other books as well. Not sure...keyword maybe.
Diana
Re-read 2018

This is the third book in the series, this one starts the relationship/s that will carry on in various ways throughout the rest of the series. I can't say much due to spoilers, but I will mention that Anita's luck or lack thereof is still going strong. The re-read started due to the fact that I'm behind on the series, and need a refresher to catch up prior to the new book being released this summer.
Sara
Okay, I made it to book 3. Why? I'm not sure. It's like eating potato chips. I don't really like them, but the bag is there so I keep on eating them. . . .

This is so over-the-top and silly. But I kept on turning the pages. Had to see just who she was going to blow away with her gun(s) or stab with her knives.

One small woman, all those ancient vampires. And no one can kill this woman? Really?

Sigh. Against my better judgement, on to book 4. . . .I'm opening another bag.
Subinita(BOOKAHOLIC) Mazumder
Krissy
Anita really pissed me off in this one
Louisa
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok, this book was a big creepier than normal thus far, with the giant snake and all. This is more of a vampire book, and yeah, can't wait to read more!
Kirsti
Nov 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The third in the Anita Blake series, and another one of my favorites. This time around we're introduced to a character that soon became my most hated in the series; Richard. He screams of everything in a man I dislike from the very beginning, so of course I hoped she would end up with Jean Claude.

I liked the mystery in this one, because it wasn't the sole focus. we get to see more of Anita in her daily life, and more of her interactions with Jean Claude. Her animating is brought more into focus
A Million More Pages: 3 - Circus of The Damned (ABVH): Mar 29 26 33 Apr 22, 2015 12:20PM
Anita Blake Vampi...: Circus of the Damned (Book 3) 11 48 Jun 24, 2014 12:50PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Circus of the Damned 1 4 May 03, 2012 10:27AM
Goodreads Librari...: No page numbers listed 2 30 Aug 31, 2011 05:07PM
  • The Outlaw Demon Wails (The Hollows, #6)
  • Claimed By Shadow (Cassandra Palmer, #2)
  • Kissing Sin (Riley Jenson Guardian #2)
  • Blood Pact (Vicki Nelson, #4)
  • Bitten to Death (Jaz Parks, #4)
  • Dead Man Rising (Dante Valentine, #2)
  • Kitty Takes a Holiday (Kitty Norville, #3)
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • Stolen (Women of the Otherworld, #2)
Laurell K. Hamilton is one of the leading writers of paranormal fiction. A #1 New York Times bestselling author, Hamilton writes the popular Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter novels and the Meredith Gentry series. She is also the creator of a bestselling comic book series based on her Anita Blake novels and published by Marvel Comics. Hamilton is a full-time writer and lives in the suburbs of St. Louis ...more
More about Laurell K. Hamilton

Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1)
  • The Laughing Corpse (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #2)
  • The Lunatic Cafe (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #4)
  • Bloody Bones (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #5)
  • The Killing Dance (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #6)
  • Burnt Offerings (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #7)
  • Blue Moon (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #8)
  • Obsidian Butterfly (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #9)
  • Narcissus in Chains (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #10)
  • Cerulean Sins (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #11)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Otherkin
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
“Can the sarcasm,' he said. 'Please, I always use fresh sarcasm, never canned.” 583 likes
“He was twenty. I remembered twenty. I'd known everything at twenty. It took me another year to realize I knew nothing. I was still hoping to learn something before I hit thirty, but I wasn't holding my breath.” 225 likes