Start by marking “With Custer's Cavalry” as Want to Read:
With Custer's Cavalry

With Custer's Cavalry

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  10 Ratings  ·  2 Reviews
A wife’s premonition spared Lieutenant Francis M. Gibson from the fate that overtook General George A. Custer and the Seventh U. S. Cavalry. At her insistence, he declined a transfer that would have placed him in the Battle of the Little Bighorn, but he was on the scene immediately after it. Gibson’s letters detailing the devastation, together with his wife’s reports on th ...more
Published September 1st 1986 by University of Nebraska Press (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about With Custer's Cavalry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With Custer's Cavalry

Katherine Addison
This book is the memoir of Katherine Garrett Gibson; since it has no critical apparatus, it's impossible to tell how much of what we get is what she herself wrote and how much she was edited and/or expanded by her daughter (Katherine Gibson Fougera). I don't say this because I suspect Fougera of misrepresenting her mother's text, but just to signal that there is no way to tell.

Katherine Garrett Gibson went west to live with her sister, Mollie Garrett MacIntosh, a year or two before Little Bighor
Michelle
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bios, history
This book got me hooked. Read it in one day! This woman really puts you there in the 1870s and puts a human face on larger than life personalities, namely Custer and wife. What a time to be alive at an army fort. Without the tight military structure and the societal ties of the day, you would have gone mad. Sure, there was snark, ESP. among the Custer brothers, GAC and Tom, who both taught the author how to ride and shoot! I would have tolerated hardtack for lessons from those two myself.
Scott Nelson