Start by marking “Bruised” as Want to Read:
Bruised

Bruised

Imogen has always believed that her black belt in Tae Kwon Do made her stronger than everyone else--more responsible, more capable. But when she witnesses a holdup in a diner, she freezes. The gunman is shot and killed by the police. And it's all her fault.

Now she's got to rebuild her life without the talent that made her special and the beliefs that made her strong. If on
Published March 5th 2013 by Amulet/Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Bruised, please sign up.
Zahra It does not take over the story, but I'd say that it is heavy in a different sense. It contemplates a lot to the events of the stories and yes it help…moreIt does not take over the story, but I'd say that it is heavy in a different sense. It contemplates a lot to the events of the stories and yes it helps her recover, but in a heavy weird sense I would say. Because of her psychological state, I would say the romance is presented uniquely, but it is not too much, and not too little...
I actually think that if this romantic plot didn't exist, she wouldn't have recovered, or at least not the way she did and the time she took to recover.
Also, it was a beautiful turning point. I know the event was catastrophic for her, but it definitely helped her do more than just recovery; exploration of normal human desires and needs.

PS: I read the book several months ago, and whenever I remember it and her, I remember trauma and survival... I remember how psychological damage is harder to heal.. and then I remember Ricky and the love story.
So the romance comes last in memory of this book. (less)
Splintered by A.G. HowardTaken by Erin BowmanMILA 2.0 by Debra DrizaThe Madman’s Daughter by Megan ShepherdPivot Point by Kasie West
YA Debuts 2013
512 books — 2,452 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadThe Elite by Kiera Cass
YA Novels of 2013
1,570 books — 11,034 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Bruised
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
On The Nocturnal Library: Sarah Skilton talks about how she sees her main character, Imogen. Plus, there's a giveaway of a signed hardcover copy of BRUISED.

There’s only a handful of authors whose insightfulness I admire as much as I admire Sarah Skilton right now, most of them Australian. At first, my rating was 4.5 stars, but then I decided that such profound understanding of human psyche combined with really excellent writing deserves more. So I gave it a five, which is something I rarely
Wendy Darling
Hm, I feel alone in a sea of glowing 4s and 5s on this one.

This is such an interesting subject, and there were times when Imogene's PTSD flashbacks were definitely troubling. But I had a serious problem connecting with most of the characters, and I was never really convinced by most of the main story arcs.

A story that engaged my interest for the short while it took to read it, but one that ultimately left my heart...unbruised.
Reynje
Feb 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“If a girl punches someone, she’s crazy. If a guy punches someone, he’s dealing with his feelings. He’s normal.”

I have to thank several friends for recommending Skilton’s debut recently; without their encouragement to pick it up, Bruised might have been quietly sucked into the black hole of my growing TBR list.

Bruised is an insightful novel about a girl’s journey to redefine her sense of self in the wake of a traumatic incident. While suffering PTSD as a result of a diner hold-up, Imogen is
Keertana
4.5 Stars

Although I have no experience with martial arts, it is very much a part of my life. You can hardly walk in my house without seeing remnants of my brother's neatly broken boards, sparring gear, or the dozens of belts he went through to finally receive his black belt. As his older sister, though, I've seen more than just the physical evidence of his years spent on tae kwon do; I've seen the non-tangible evidence too. I've witnessed my brother transform from a shy, timid, and vulnerable ch
Limonessa
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-lit, ebook
A very thorough, in depth excursion into PTSD and how it affects your everyday life and the lives of the people who are around you.

This book was like watching a train wreck slowly unfold in front of my eyes. Imogen is 16 and a Tae Kwon Do black belt, practically a prodigy. When she ends up getting involved in a diner shooting and the gunman gets slaughtered by the police, she blames herself for not being able to intervene and salvage the situation with her martial art's skills.

From there on, he
Kaitlin
Apr 16, 2017 rated it liked it
This was the #BookBuddyBox for April which is run over on Etsy by elena. Check out her shop here. It's a contemporary book, with is not my usual cup of tea as I tend to find it hard to connect with the characters, but I do think this story was pretty good at handling elements of PTSD and family issues and that made this more interesting than the average contemporary.

In this story we follow Imogen, a 16-year old Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do who is top of her class and a dedicated student. Imogen be
Soumi
3.5 stars actually

Before Bruised I have never read any novel related to sports, any kind of sports. So I better shan’t compare this book with any other book because I found it unique itself. Most of all, before staring the book, I had no knowledge about any kind of Karate but now I can name few moves that are used in Tae Kwon Do.

The story deals with a mental agony of a sixteen-year-old black belt Imogen, who believed that her black belt made her strong enough to survive any situations. But when
Nomes
Bruised is story of a girl (Tae Kwon Do talent) who survives a hold-up, but not without emotional scars and torment. The opening chapter is so compelling, the PTSD that comes afterwards rings true. For a dramatic premise, the book never delves into the melodramatic, I think this is one of it's strengths.

The writing is strong and sure.

I really wish I had connected more to Imogen. As much as I admired what the author was doing with her themes, without this character connection I only felt a passi
Brin
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was expecting a lot from Bruised, debut novel of author Sarah Skilton, and it really delivered. It is a rare book that can so deftly convey the turbulent emotions that can arise following a traumatic event but Bruised really packs a punch and isn't afraid to delve into what damage can be done to a person's psyche in the aftermath of tragedy.

Bruised tells the story of Imogen, a sixteen year old girl who is a black belt in Tae Kwon Do. Imogen is in a diner one night when a lone gunman holds it
Trish Doller
Jul 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The kind of book that keeps you up late at night and lingers long after you've turned the last page. Imogen's struggle in the aftermath of trauma is brutal in a raw, beautiful way. I loved everything about it.

(I blurbed this book. That's what I said.)
Jen
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
When I first found out about Bruised by Sarah Skilton, it didn't catch my attention very much, at all. It was only when I saw rave reviews for this book by some of my most trusted blogger friends (ehem, Keertana and Maja) that I knew I had to read it. And thank goodness for their accurate opinions on this book, because after finishing Bruised, I've come to the conclusion that this book is a new favorite for 2013. Honestly, if you look at my status updates on Goodreads for this book, pretty much ...more
Scarlet
Feb 26, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5

I wish I could give this a better rating but the fact is that Bruised did not impact me like I thought it would.

It’s a good book and I liked it but I feel it could have been better. Bruised could have been a deeper, darker exploration of PTSD had it stayed focused on the main Tae Kwon Do aspect of it, but it kept derailing into needless drama that I did not care about.

I found Imogen very unlikeable. Her attitude towards her parents especially bothered me. While I appreciate the complexity of
Isamlq
Feb 26, 2013 rated it liked it
BRUISED is not exactly a coming of age story; it’s one of knowing what you can and cannot do and then dealing with consequences of things unexpected. In this one it’s Imogen, struggling to get over what she’s witnessed and at the same time having those around her struggle along with to make things right for her. Contrast all the emotional turmoil she’s living with to the uneasy state she’s in with her friends, and family and things went from worse, then worse again before any of the better came ...more
Drishti
Jul 18, 2016 rated it liked it
This book and I, we had the classic "it's not you, it's me" situation. 'Coz I for one have no freaking interest in martial arts and Imogen, the MC, is ― wait for it ― a black belt in Tae Kwon Do! And the fact that all the relationships in this book felt horribly, horribly forced didn't help matters.

Anyway, the good news is that I survived and learnt how to punch a guy twice my size. *high fives Imogen*
Cat Winters
Nov 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Sarah Skilton and I are friends and share the same editor at Amulet Books, so I was lucky enough to receive an early copy of BRUISED...and I couldn't put it down. Skilton digs deep into the raw emotions of her damaged protagonist, Imogen, and, like an expert taekwondo player, allows her plot to make unexpected moves that will have you scrambling to turn the pages. There's an especially beautiful metaphor for Imogen's heart that I loved, and the relationships built, broken, and restored throughou ...more
Shae McDaniel
Originally posted at http://shelversanon.blogspot.com

Blast the trumpets! Throw the confetti! For I, Shelver, diehard fantasy/sci-fi addict and perpetually distrustful reader of contemporary, have found a contemporary book that she loves. And not just any contemporary book. An issue book!

Attribution

Bruised opens immediately after Imogen's world shatters. A woman is in the hospital, a man is
Jack Stark
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
I got this book through the April 2017 #BookBuddyBox run by the ever cheery Elena.
”What the hell are you doing, Daryl?”
“Just empty the register! Shut up.”

This is not the kind of book I would normally pick up. I read the blurb and thought, “Hmm, probably not for me”. I was wrong (shh, don’t tell anyone I said that, it rarely happens!). I read the first page out of curiosity and then somehow it was three hours later and 3am and I was still reading and I should have been asleep!

Imogen is a 16yr
Crystin Symons
May 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This coming of age book follows Imogen after a shooting, as a black belt in Tae Kwon Do she is taught to protect citizens but when the shooting occurred she couldn’t save herself or others, and she blames herself. Now she feels as if her black belt is worth nothing because she couldn’t do anything to stop it. As the shooting occurred her and Ricky were both hidden under the tables and have developed a bond through that. As all coming of age books it covers family, friendship and relationship iss ...more
Tammy
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes a book comes along at just the right time and resonates in just the right way. Bruised was that book for me. It could be that I needed a break from all the paranormal stories I’ve been reading, and I have to admit it was a nice change of pace to read a contemporary novel. But no matter what your usual reading fare is, Bruised is sure to trigger some type of emotion, because it’s so well written and perfectly paced. I absolutely loved the character of Imogen; I found her to be one of th ...more
Amanda Baker
May 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-may-challenge
Imogen has been training for six years for this moment, a moment where she would protect those in harms way, where her training can come to use. Yet, when that moment comes, there is nothing Imogen can do.
I really liked this book. We see the hurt, pain and suffering of a girl who feels guilty for a man's death. She feels that she doesn't deserve her black belt because she wasn't upholding the ideals she was taught for so many years. She is tired of never being good enough, and is angry/upset/f
Michelle
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have had my eye on this book for a while, the cover of the book is simple but very eye catching, and one that drew me in, once I had read the synopsis I knew I had to read it so I was excited to receive a copy for review.

"My black belt represents everything I could've done and everything I didn't do, the only time it really mattered."
Page 3 uncorrected proof

I love this quote, to me it embodies the idea of the story and the character Imogen. Bruised is about Imogen and focuses on the aftermat
Jenni Arndt
May 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: purchased-ebook
I always find stories that deal with a traumatic incident and how it affects the characters minds (and essentially their day to day life) utterly fascinating. BRUISED dealt with just that. After Imogen lives through being one of the few patrons in a diner when it is held up she has blocked much of the event out of her mind. As she struggles with clearing the clouds in her memory of that day and with how mad she is at herself for not doing anything an interesting story unfolds but it left me long ...more
Alyssa
Jan 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
_________________________________
This review and more at Readers In Wonderland
_________________________________
Full formatting of this review shows on the blog. ^

BRUISED tells the story of a girl named Imogen, a teenage black belt. She believes the black belt makes her confident and strong. It takes an awful experience to show her just how wrong she is about being a black belt. Imogen , that's Imo-gen, believes in one thing above all-protect the weak. So when the diner she is at one night gets h
Hannah
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-contemporary
In Bruised, Sarah Skilton is set to take the YA world by storm. In this incredible debut she brings a powerhouse combination of emotion, romance, and action that left me breathless and reeling and utterly wrecked in the best way possible..

When we first meet Imogen she is in a state of shock, left bereft after the events that have transpired in the diner. There is no build-up, no warming to this character—Skilton bravely thrusts her into the spotlight having just survived an unthinkable ordeal. I
Sharon
Mar 15, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

Let me preface this by saying that I do not have a heart of stone because it seems that I am among the few that this book did not resonate with completely. Secondly, let me reiterate that I liked it. I just didn’t love it.

Bruised tells the story of a girl trained in martial arts who struggles with PTSD after a diner hold-up results in the gunman’s death, leaving her to deal with the ensuing guilt and depression from her inability to prevent it.

By the time my brother arrives, he can’t
Deborah
I think I should not have started this book at 10 pm on Sunday night. Finding a novel so potent it caused me to pull an all-nighter was worth it, though.

Imogen is in the wrong place at the wrong time. As she waits for her friend to wash up in the diner's lavatory, a twitchy, frenetic man storms inside waving a gun. Imogene quietly hides under a table, keeping absolutely still as sounds of violence and pain echo around her. Her guilt is a live thing that grows after the event, after the police ar
Rachel R. (My Book Empire)
I’ve heard a lot of good things about Bruised, that’s why when Amulet Books sent me a copy for review, I immediately read it and until now, I don’t know whether to give this one 3 or 4 stars.

First of all, I really admire the main character, Imogen, for her bravery. Heck, she was only sixteen when she witnessed a holdup in a diner and survived it. Her story opened my eyes about PTSD and how it can affect a person, especially a teenager, and also those people surrounding you. But in Imogen’s case,
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Grade: B+

Tae Kwon Do black belt Imogene freezes when a gunman tries to rob a diner and he winds up dead. She can't forgive herself for not using her skills. She angry, so angry she's getting into fights. Underneath her fury, fear and nightmares from that night. She's pushing everyone away, but can't seem to stop herself.

Imogen is such a well rounded character. She sees the world in black and white, is quick to anger and slow to forgive. She's resentful that her father has become wheelchair bound
Samantha
Jun 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: martial artists!
I am totally bias towards this book being am a black belt in Tae Kwon Do myself, but I must say, I really enjoyed this book. For me, it was easy to truly appreciate this book because I'm a martial artist.

The struggles and thoughts Imogen faces are things I have wondered myself. If I am ever in an actual dangerous situation, and not just partnering up against someone in class, how would I react? I'd like to think I would be able to defend myself, still, they say you never know what you'd do i
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Violence and Responsibility 1 6 Jun 18, 2013 03:11PM
Diabetes 1 2 Jun 18, 2013 03:10PM
Tough Times With Friends 1 3 Jun 18, 2013 03:09PM
Ricky and Imogen, Sittin' In a Tree (Romance in BRUISED) 1 6 Jun 18, 2013 03:08PM
Parents in YA 1 4 Jun 18, 2013 03:08PM

• Girl Against the Universe
  • How It Feels to Fly
  • লালসালু
  • শেষ বিকেলের মেয়ে
  • Naissance des coeurs de pierre
  • Aquarium
  • The End of Everything
  • Peach Girl: Change of Heart, Vol. 1 (Peach Girl, #9)
  • Bad Girls with Perfect Faces
  • House of Furies (House of Furies, #1)
  • Peach Girl: Change of Heart, Vol. 2 (Peach Girl, #10)
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • Peach Girl: Change of Heart, Vol. 4 (Peach Girl, #12)
  • Peach Girl: Change of Heart, Vol. 3 (Peach Girl, #11)
  • Peach Girl: Change of Heart, Vol. 5 (Peach Girl, #13)
  • Peach Girl: Change of Heart, Vol. 6 (Peach Girl, #14)
  • Look Both Ways: A Tale Told in Ten Blocks
  • Everlife (Everlife #3)
Coming in June 2020: GHOSTING: A LOVE STORY, a romantic comedy in the vein of Set it Up, You've Got Mail, and The Hating Game, co-authored by Sarvenaz Tash under the pen name Tash Skilton.

Latest solo release: FAME ADJACENT, a romantic comedy about the sole cast member of a 1990s song-and-dance show who didn't become famous.

Sarah is a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, a fact that came in handy while writi

News & Interviews

“People mess up, you know? But you can’t see past it. It’s like you choose one thing about them—the worst thing—and say, ‘That’s who they are,’ and ignore the rest of it. Why not choose the best thing about them instead? Or the thing they do the most?” 15 likes
“Mrs. Hamilton told me teenagers are resilient, that we'll bounce back," he scoffs. "And I'm thinking, Okay. When?"
I don't remember Mrs. Hamilton saying that, but I've heard the theory before. That the younger you are, the quicker you can normalize an event and move on, because you don't know any other way of life. It just becomes a small part of your narrative as the years go by. But it seems to me the younger you are when something bad happens to you, the longer you have to carry it with you.”
1 likes