Start by marking “Dirty Kiss (Cole McGinnis, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dirty Kiss (Cole McGinnis, #1)

Read Excerpt

Dirty Kiss

(Cole McGinnis #1)

Cole Kenjiro McGinnis, ex-cop and PI, is trying to get over the shooting death of his lover when a supposedly routine investigation lands in his lap. Investigating the apparent suicide of a prominent Korean businessman's son proves to be anything but ordinary, especially when it introduces Cole to the dead man's handsome cousin, Kim Jae-Min.

Jae-Min's cousin had
Published July 1st 2011 by Dreamspinner Press (first published June 30th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dirty Kiss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dirty Kiss

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

I've said it time and time again but I'm not a mystery lover. I'm just not! I couldn't give a crap who killed whom and I don't love the anxious feeling that romantic suspense gives me. ::shrugs:: I'm a wuss!

But I really liked this one.

This is your typical guy gets injured past what would be humanly possible for most people romance. Cole must have bones of steel because he bounces back from some serious $hit! Jae too. What is in the water over there?

What were my favorite parts? I loved the back-and-forth between Cole and Bobby
Susan
Oct 13, 2012 rated it liked it

3.5 Stars

Hmmm...not sure. I wonder if being Korean-American was a benefit or a hindrance in reading this book.

For all intents and purposes, I think I should have loved Dirty Kiss. It's the first fiction, let alone M/M romance, that I've ever seen with a Korean MC. Rhys Ford does a really great job of capturing life and culture of Koreans in Los Angeles/Orange County. I feel like I knew the Kims personally. I even felt it was a bit of an inside joke since 99.9% of all Korean girls ar
Shile
Loved it

5++++++++ stars for the audio

4.25 for the story

I love Murder-Mystery stories and this did not disappoint.

Greg's Voice is heaven on Audiobook earth.

description

-Our babies will have hisclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
4.25class="gr-hostedUserImg">
5++++++++
Xing
Jun 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Rating: 3.5 stars

*Audiobook Version*

I'm gonna start this review with a very weird statement: I probably would have liked this book more if I wasn't a gay, Asian (Chinese) man. But I'll go in that sentiment later...

Cole McGinnis is an ex-cop and current PI who stumbles upon a case brought up by a client of his brother's security business. It's during this investigation into a Korean family that our main character stumbles upon the exotic and mysterious Jae-Min.
Lyn
The insta lust/obsession was a huge turn off for me.

I get it. It’s hard to find a romance book where there isn’t an instant attraction involved. But Cole referring to Jae as “baby” on their second meeting was too much too soon. And once the “baby” calling started it doesn’t stop. I have no problem with pet names and endearments. I loved them when I’m reading romance, but only when the relationship feels real. There’s no relationship development between Jae and Cole, so as a couple, they made ab
Meags
3 Stars

A friend warned me going in that Ford’s writing style was somewhat flowery and might not be for me. I took this on board, but I was eager to finally give this series a try anyway, having spent the past few years eyeballing several of Ford’s stories as they collected dust on my TBR shelf.

As it turned out, I did in fact struggle with the prose, particularly in relation to some of the language used and the sappiness of the dialogue (most notable during the awkward sex scenes
Jenni Lea
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jenni Lea by: Jo * Smut-Dickted *

re-read 1/22/16.
******************

Rarely does a book have the ability to surprise me. It's the reason why I don't really like reading mysteries. I always, ALWAYS figure out whodunit way before I ever finish the book.

This book though, shocked me. Here I was, thinking I was so smart to have figured out the perpetrator when something happened to bring me to a screeching halt.

I was wrong.

I didn't know whodunit! I was left with my mouth hanging open and grasping at straws to try and fi
Rhys Ford
Jun 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: author
I wrote it. Aren't I supposed to love it? :::pets characters:::

Actually there are things I'd want to explore more but there wasn't space and time. Luckily, I'm planning on sequels.

Thank you for reading Dirty Kiss. I hope you enjoy the sequel featuring Cole's next "assignment" and his continuing relationship with Jae. I don't have a title yet but oh, I have a mystery.
Amy Lane
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've read things like "gritty" and "suspenseful" about this book, and they're all true. So is "hot", "sexy", and "fast paced." What a lot of reviewers DON'T mention, however (and they SHOULD) is how frickin' funny it is in places, and how engaging Cole is, and how he's persistent and irritating and fun. Jae is easy to fall in love with-- the analogy of the feral cat was perfect (I have a cat like that--beware stray appendages, they get scratched) and all in all, this was a fun, fast paced, excit ...more
Wendy

e59d14</span>
  <span id=I don't know why it took me so long to start this series, but I'm very glad that I finally jumped into the Cole McGinnis train. Susan and Elsbeth said that I just had to listen to the audio, so I did both. Reading while listening and damn they were right. This audio was awesome !! I gave this book 3,5 stars, but I'm rounding up to 4 stars for the amazing audio by Greg Tremblay !!

e59d1437da4259a8e2b7f0b9af072129.jpg (240×200):

I am a big sucker for mystery/suspence stories, so this book was right up my ally.

Cole McGinnis is a former cop turned PI. Cole is still struggeling with the death of his lover, at the hands of his best friend and former partner. Cole hasn't been interested in other men ever since. This is all about to change though, when his brother hires him to investigate the suicide of a Korean man (Hyun-Shik).

During his investigation, he meets Jae-Min, a cousin of Hyun-Shik. He feels an instant attraction for the hot Korean and when he learns Jae is also gay, he can't hold back anymore. These two men were damn hot together and Greg Tremblay's narrating made it even hotter !!

11433213.gif (500×252)

Jae and Cole both get hurt, bodies start dropping everywhere and all the while these two men start falling deeper and deeper for each other. But things aren't simple or easy. Jae knows that as a Korean man, he can't come out to his family, without losing them. He is expected to marry and have children. If they find out he's in a relationship with a man, they would cut him out of his life and Jae isn't ready for that to happen. I have to say that even though I tried to understand things from his point of view...he still frustrated the shit out of me.

giphy.gif (500×263)

Cole was awesome though and at times I wondered why he just didn't walk away. Then again Jae certainly had his sweet moments, where he showed how much he cared for Cole.

d323ff0fab7ad86fd5cfd82e88eb5865.jpg (403×257):

So why 3,5/4 stars and not 5 ??

Well this ends on a HFN, which I am fine with, but there were some things that were left open that bothered me. Such as the dinner they were supposed to have with Cole's (asshole) father. I have no idea if this will be in the next book, but I was very curious to find out what was gonna happen. Also, I kind of hated Cole's brother who was supposed to be a good guy. The way he talked down to Cole about him being gay, made me want to smash a chair in his face !!!

tumblr_m3ijvvPump1qcuxxdo1_500.gif (500×370)

This was an awesome start to this series and I'm gonna jump into book 2 right away. Can't wait to find out what happens next !!

Chilled Sickness.:
Barbara➰
I'm late to the game on this series and anyone who knows me knows I don't like dead exes. Fortunately here, it wasn't as big of an issue as I was worried it would be. Rhys is a favorite author of mine. I did feel like this wasn't as "flowery" as some of the other books I've read by Rhys which isn't necessarily a bad thing...just different.

I absolutely loved Cole. He was funny at times and I loved how he was obsessed with Jae. Jae took me a little while to warm up to and I'm still not
Heather C
Apr 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Heather C by: Jess
Why, oh why did I wait so long to read this book?!

What I loved:

Cole I loved his 'voice'. He made me sad in the beginning, but he still had a lot of humor.  Plus, he's a horny romantic. *sigh*  He could be a little TSTL at times but he always believed he was doing the right thing.  He was very loyal and deserves a HEA (view spoiler) ...more
Anne Boleyn's Ghost
From the throbbing veins (which I find the opposite of sexy because I just think of my grandmother's forehead vein throbbing as she yelled at my sisters and me) to the pouting assholes (Meags, I'll see your "hard no" and raise you a "hard nope.com") to the mewling humans (I have never heard a man or a woman mewl and I hope I never do) to the sheer absurdity (people being assaulted and run off the road and shot yet interested in sex hours later ...more
DarienMoya
April 2018 (Audio Version)

Story: 4.5 ⭐ s
Narration: 4 ⭐ s

Still love this one after all these years. Cole is still one of my fave characters ever. His nonchalant don’t give two shits attitude still rocks. All the supporting characters are a riot and I just love how this whole story comes together.

Greg Tremblay does a wonderful job with all the characters and I am officially a fan.

Looking forward to listening to the rest of the series!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marte - Thunderella

***** 4,5 Dirty series stars *****

Audio edition, narrator Greg Tremblay
8 hours 21 minutes

Overall: 4,5
Performance: 4
Story: 5

------------------------
"Saranghae, agi."
------------------------

This is one of my favorite series and characters of all time. I love these books, and by that I mean the audio edition narrated by my favorite narrator Greg Tremblay.

I love Rhys Ford's writing and the characters she has created with this series. Greg Tremblay gives life to the characters with his narration. Each character has his or her own voice.

Cole McGinnis: snarky and slightly sarcastic way of speaking, but with lots
Story:4,5
Performance:minutes
Overall:Tremblay
8*****
Audio
Vivian
May 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a fondness for LA stories and this is a good one.

Cole is a bullheaded, ex-cop with zero respect for the consequences of his actions which while noble always end up with more than a few whacks. I bet he buys pain meds in the jumbo bottles.

Jae is a gorgeous, sexy siren. And trust me, if you've seen one of these ephemeral creatures you know exactly what I'm talking about. He makes KPop boys sound pedestrian-looking.

Nice little suspense novel with a decent
AliciaJ
This remains one of my all-time favorite mm mystery novels. Cole and Jae-Min stole my heart long ago, and still hold it captive.

***I just finished this book for the second time and I have to say it's even better on the second go round. I can't wait to see what Cole and Jae-Min get up to the next time out. Luckily I've learned that there are definitely sequels in the works, so I'm excited about that.***
Ingie
Written August 20, 2014

3 1/2 Stars - Not completely dazed, but happy, hopeful and I want more

Book #1

This is the first part in a recommended series, Rhys Ford's Cole McGinnis. M/M crime in four (soon five) parts.

***********************************************

Contemporary crime M/M set in Los Angeles about
Cole Kenjiro McGinnis, an ex-cop and PI,
and the U.S. Korean, Kim Jae-Min, a future lover.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

***********************************************

Dirty Kiss is maybe not fantastic, but a good start to something that I want to follow. This is a style I like.

A slightly tired, worn, cynical private investigator who, with his own narration gives us a good detective story. Here a***********************************************
Dirtylover.
2014
Otila
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, fav-series
Audiobook

This is my first audiobook by Greg Tremblay and I enjoyed his voice and how he brought this story to life...BUT. He. Does. These. Pauses. Sometimes. That. Make. Each. Word. It's. Own. Sentence. I found that rather annoying. Speeding it up helped.

As for the story, I love it! This has a great murder plot and since I read it almost 3 years ago, I couldn't remember who dunnit so it was like experiencing it for the first time.

What I especially love is that even though Cole and Jae are each shot, blown up and suf
Elsbeth

description - Narrator - Grey Tremblay

Yep, this guy would be how I picture Cole.

Cole, an ex-cop, now private investigator is hired to investigate the death of a Korean man, son of a Korean buisnessman. He is introduced to the cousin, Kim Jae-Min.

Jae-Min is too afraid to come out as a gay man because of the Korean traditions of a family. Jae is the oldest son and finds himself responsible taking care of his mother and sisters.

Cole falls
Vio
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretty much a fantastic book, it pushed all my good buttons. Loved it and can't wait for the sequel.
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
It's so lovely when people use their culture to justify being horrible to others. All they have to do is say 'it's our cultural thing' and most people are immediately uncomfortable to continue. This book made me so angry.

That being said, I think Dirty Kiss is a very good beginning of a series. It's not boring, it introduces a very interesting cast of characters struggling with not so unique issues. I love the main character Cole McGinnis. I want to know more about him. I love Jae-Min. It breaks my heart
Gigi
I read Dirty Kiss when it first came out in 2011, before the sequel was written and before I joined Goodreads. I didn't remember much about it (except for the kick-ass Claudia and evil kitty) but I gave it 3 stars. I decided to re-read because of all the excellent reviews for the last book in the series Dirty Heart and refresh my memory.

I realized I gave Dirty Kiss 3 stars because of the HFN ending and the fact that there were so many loose ends that needed to be tied up. I didn't know ab
Karen
I'm just going to keep things short here again...

Ok, we're in s & s mode here (short & sweet) It's by Rhys Ford and narrated by Greg Tremblay. That's about as good as it gets in my world. I loved the book the first time around (Original Review: Dirty Kiss), I loved it just as much...actually even more this time and I'm now on to book #2 Dirty Secret.

If you're looking for
Nina
Hinted at depths it didn't reach.
Not realistic at all.
A lot of discrepancies.

I don't even know what to say. Very very disappointed.
T.J.
Sep 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I am announcing here and now that I am in love with Cole. One of my favorite new characters I've read in a while. Fantastic job, Rhys. I hope there is a sequel.
Sofia
Jan 11, 2015 rated it liked it

The two bedraggled MC's limping towards the finish line

Poor guys - the author threw everything at them, covered them in bruises, showered them with bullets and other.............. but they made it through - no worries :D
Susan
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Susan by: Elsbeth
Re-read February 2019

Greg Tremblay will always be my favorite narrator.

-------------------------------

The inner musings were a bit much in this at times, but overall I still enjoyed it.

Cole McGinnis is a private investigator, hired to investigate the murder of a Korean man, Hyun-Shik. During this investigation he meets Jae-Min, Hyun-Shik’s cousin. Cole finds himself in the most peculiar situations during this investigation. And he cannot get Jae-Min out of his
Jilrene
4 stars for the story
and
all the stars in the world for the narration

The mystery part isn't as tight as other books by this author. Probably a sign of her growth in future books. I still loved it.

The narrator is all that and a bag of chips! Absolutely the best narration I have heard.
Jess
This is a really hard review to write because I have so much to say but I am struggling to find the words.

I will not talk to much about the plot because other reviews have been quite detailed. Instead I will focus on the things that impressed me about this book. There is alot so I hope you all put up with my rambles.

* Writing Style - Rhys Ford has one of the most unique and compelling writing styles I have read in ages. The detail is simply amazing. The book is in first p/>
The Challenge Fac...: Zuzana, Melissa & Ezi - Dirty Kiss 66 22 Mar 27, 2014 12:35PM
Chat with Rhys Ford : Questions/Comments about Dirty Kiss 13 40 Jun 08, 2012 02:35PM

• Home Work (Life Lessons, #3)
  • Houseboat on the Nile (Spy vs. Spook, #1)
  • The Dark Tide (The Adrien English Mysteries, #5)
  • Six Degrees of Lust (By Degrees, #1)
  • Body and Soul (PsyCop, #3)
  • Half Moon Chambers
  • Inland Empire (Taking the Odds, #2)
  • Amor En Retrogrado (Bill Turner, #1)
  • Loving Luki Vásquez (Vásquez & James, #1)
  • A Casual Weekend Thing (Least Likely Partnership, #1)
  • Pressure Head (The Plumber's Mate #1)
  • Bulletproof (A Matter of Time #5)
Rhys Ford is an award-winning author with several long-running LGBT+ mystery, thriller, paranormal, and urban fantasy series and was a 2016 LAMBDA finalist with her novel, Murder and Mayhem. She is published by Dreamspinner Press and DSP Publications.

She’s also quite skeptical about bios without a dash of something personal and really, who doesn’t mention their cats, dog and cars in a

Cole McGinnis (6 books)
  • Dirty Secret (Cole McGinnis, #2)
  • Dirty Laundry (Cole McGinnis, #3)
  • Dirty Deeds (Cole McGinnis, #4)
  • Down and Dirty (Cole McGinnis, #5)
  • Dirty Heart (Cole McGinnis, #6)
“It's like a bad joke over here: a black woman, a Filipino transvestite, and a Korean ex-stripper walk into a gay man‟s house. All that's missing is a priest and a talking dog.” - Bobby Dawson” 38 likes
“I stole a bit of a chopped vegetable and was about to put it in my mouth when Jae’s long fingers closed over my wrist. “What? You can’t eat this raw?”

“It’s bitter melon. You won’t like it.” He went into the fridge and came out with something that looked halfway familiar. “Here, leftover bao. There’s char siu inside.”

“The red pork stuff? Yeah, I like that. I thought it was Chinese.”

“It is. We also eat hamburgers and spaghetti.”
31 likes