Start by marking “Goong: The Royal Palace, Vol. 1 (Goong, #1)” as Want to Read:
Goong: The Royal Palace, Vol. 1 (Goong, #1)

Goong: The Royal Palace, Vol. 1

(Goong #1)

Goong Volume 1 features story and art by Park SoHee. Monarchy ended long ago in Korea, but there are still other countries with kings, queens, princes and princesses. What if Korea had continued monarchism? What if all the beautiful palaces which are now only historical relics were actually filled with people? What if the glamorous royal family still maintained the palace ...more
Published December 20th 2006 by Yen Press (first published November 25th 2002)

Start your review of Goong: The Royal Palace, Vol. 1 (Goong, #1)
Bookaholic (reads every mortal thing)
A few months ago, I tried watching K-Drama adaption. I had no clue that it was adapted from a manhwa and the concept itself was pretty interesting.

Now, looking back, I realise that going into a show without really understanding or knowing any of the terminology used for each member of the royal family, the traditions and rituals they follow and just about anything else, was a little bit foolish on my part. Its no wonder I gave up just after 3 episodes.

The really great thing about reading tran
Amy Thorne
Sep 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Oh, it's alright. You know, basic girl-hates-boy-boy-hates-girl-boy-is-actually-the-crown-prince-WHOOPS-girl-and-boy-are-secretly-engaged-due-to-grandfathers'-arrangement story. Whatever. I actually spent a lot of this series thinking, "Dang, I wish my hair would do that."

Still, despite the slow build, Chae-Kyung isn't overwhelmingly annoying and Pak doesn't take all the well-worn routes. By volume 5 I was pretty well hooked, though I couldn't say why exactly--but the palace politics
Bianca
Apr 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: tear-jerker, reviewed
Half the fun of a shoujo is watching the couple struggle to figure out their feelings and get together. This series is unique in that the two get married first and then awkwardly understand one another. Shin and Chae-Kyeong are a really compelling couple and I anxiously await to see their fate. I think I’m all the more anxious just because of all the extra pressures and possible dangers to their relationship as a royal couple than they are to your typical high school love story. They have far mo ...more
Lnlisa
Feb 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga-style
I'm addicted to this series, and already have book five on pre-order.

This is basically a Cinderella story set in Korea with a very unwilling Prince Charming and an equally unwilling Cinderella. I like it! As the later volumes come out, the political machinations take center stage which are compelling, but this first volume is pure fun for the surprise of everything and getting to know each other. The art is beautiful and all the men are gorgeous. What's not to love?
Noninuna
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

It's been years since I last watched the adaptation. There are some things that they changed for the sake of live action but the original is much more entertaining. The humor is fresh, it didn't felt forced at all and successfully made me laugh out loud a few times!

Liz
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The artwork and dialogue is amazing! I watched the kdrama and this is different, which is no problem because I have read and watched different versions of other plots. I really enjoyed reading it and I can't wait to read the other volumes!
Yoonmee
Jul 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Imagine if Korea still had a monarchy. Now imagine you are a seventeen year old high school girl who suddenly discovers she was betrothed to the crown prince when she was a baby by her grandfather, a friend of the deceased King! Even worse, the crown prince goes to the same high school as you and is known for being a complete jerk. Such is the situation Chae-Kyung finds herself in in this funny, endearing, and slightly romantic manhwa. This manwha was so popular it was made into a television dra ...more
Nicole
Jan 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manhwa, romance
One of my favorite series, and a manhwa at that. Like many of the romance manga/manhwa I tend to read, some of the situations can edge into the melodramatic...but I wouldn't have it any other way. The premise of this series follows Korea to a fictional present when the monarchy is still in place and the country is full of royal-fever (comparable to modern-day England). Chae-Kyung is a normal girl, living a normal life, when she suddenly finds out that her grandfather made a pact with a peer (who ...more
Lena
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A little bit different from the kdrama, but I really like it! I want more!
Melissa E.
Nov 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: manhwa, fluff
This series starts off with an asshole love interest and a pretty ridiculous premise...like about 75% of manga/manhwa. What does make it stand out, however, is the way the author totally doesn't mind flaunting the conventional shoujo stereotypes and blatantly making fun of them. This is definitely NOT a story that takes itself too seriously.

The artwork ranges from appropriately silly for the funny stuff to absolutely gorgeous and elaborate for some of the palace scenes. Park So Hee h
Gokce ~Muslin Myst~
I'm giving this 5 stars because it was hilarious. I laughed my through this manga, the drawings were absolutely wonderfully funny. The plot is also quite nice, a royal family guy and the girl he's forced to marry. The guy is a total jerk and I'm thinking he'll grow in the future. Right now, the main couple have the potential to bicker a lot and I love stories where the hero and the heroine bicker first love later :)
Lala
Feb 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
this was my first manhwa. i never read manhwa before and i love the pictures and the story.
I know this story had been drag out like a weekend drama in korea. The thing that i love the most from this manhwa is there's no innocent characters. everyone has their own fault, Shin, Chae kyung, Yul, king and queen. There isn't 100% truly protagonist believe me, you want to choke shin and in the next chapter you want to hug him because he was so pitiful.

i' ll tried to read another manhwa
Maricar (BookOaths)
Only about 10 or so chapters (or probably more, I can't remember) left in the manhwa and I decided to stop (a pity because I spent almost three days reading it non-stop). Read somewhere how it had a "wtf ending" (plus I did peek) and that's it, I've given up (Goong has been on hold for months).

It did have some heart-pounding scenes though! Especially at the beginning. I think I'll re-watch the korean drama instead, at least it had a better conclusion ;)
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
The art is good -- except where they go into cartoonish drawing when a character i uncomfortable.

I liked the premise of what would it be like if the Korean Royalty had not been taken from Korea. Chae-kyung is a funny girl who embarrasses herself quite often. She's feisty though and just what Shin needs.

I'm liking how different aspects of their life have been developed from her family to his family.

BOTTOM LINE: I consumed it! Cute.
Lotus
Jun 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Decided to read the manga since I've seen the Korean Drama based on this series, and I have to say I really like the manga. It's a cute series to read :)
Nette
Apr 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love it. Shin is dreamy, Chaekyung's back fetish is entertaining, and Yul grates on my nerves ;P oh, and also Prince William shows up sometime during the series-- the eunuch (?) makes me laugh.
Kadie D♥
Nov 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Starting today I am going to start with this series.
It looks promising and I already like it very much!
Laureen
Mar 24, 2012 rated it liked it
I liked it cuz I saw the Korean tv drama and liked it. I found myself chuckling out loud at times :)
Reader17 Der
Oct 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga-read
Loved this. I like the story so far.
Halle
3.5 ⭐

My friend first introduced me to Goong in 2010, through the live action drama. I was hooked straight away but had no option of completing the series at that time. So I pined away for a few weeks and then forgot about the show/manhwa altogether for the next seven years. Oops.

The art style is probably my favorite aspect of Goong. There’s a lot of detail on each page, and I feel like the people are drawn to look more realistic than characters in other manga/manhwa. The storyline of a Korean r
Elizabeth
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charming And Quirky With The Amazing Artwork Of So Hee Park!!!

Goong is the graphic novel that the hit Korean drama " Palace aka Princess Hours" is based on. In this first installment they story begins in an alternate Korea, where the monarchy is still ruling. Happy go lucky commoner Che-Kyung finds herself engaged to Prince Shin due to an arrangement between their grandfather's. I won't day anymore because O don't want to spoil this wonderful book. Can't wait to read installment number two and
Freddie
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Goong will always be a favorite. With a far fetched story (that the author for some reason feels the need to justify? Come on, it’s fantasy. Your story, your rules,) creative and lovable characters in a plot that feels scarily familiar (arranged marriage? To the guy you hate the most in this world?) there’s lots of laughs along the way, and cutesy drawings that implement the mood (super deformed at some points to get the silliness across.) I can’t help but to love Chae-Kyung, and swoon for the h ...more
Dina Saad
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lol
Nadiah R.
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Easy read and the suspense in the ending makes me wanna read volume 2 asap.
Trey
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love
Melissa
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga
Long series that didn't seem as cohesive as it could have been but not bad.
Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)
Aug 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
4 stars

Now that the series is complete, I'm going to try to read all of it.
Carrie
May 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So Goong is my first manhwa and I'm definitely here for the art. Not sure about the story yet but I'll read another volume and see how the characters develop.
Kayla
Sep 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
I only picked this up since I remember reading scans of this series online in junior high lol

Surprisingly, I still enjoyed it, though the story isn't what I normally read these days.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
what do you think of manga books? 3 8 Jun 08, 2012 05:32PM

• Bride of the Water God, Volume 1
  • 獨領風騷 1
  • L-DK, Vol. 01
  • 100% Perfect Girl, Volume 1
  • Stepping on Roses, Vol. 1 (Stepping on Roses, #1)
  • Strobe Edge, Vol. 1 (Strobe Edge, #1)
  • Red River, Vol. 1 (Red River, #1)
  • ひるなかの流星 1 [Hirunaka no Ryuusei 1]
  • アオハライド 1 (Ao Haru Ride, #1)
  • The Giver: Graphic Novel
  • He's Dedicated to Roses, Vol. 1
  • 日々蝶々 1 (Hibi Chouchou, #1)
  • Kitchen Princess, Vol. 01 (Kitchen Princess, #1)
  • Private Prince , Vol. 01
  • The Serpent Sea (Books of the Raksura #2)
  • Prodigy: The Graphic Novel (Legend: The Graphic Novel, #2)
  • Wonderland, Vol. 1
  • Can't Lose You, Volume 1
Korean name: 박소희

Goong (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Goong: The Royal Palace, Vol. 2 (Goong, #2)
  • Goong: The Royal Palace, Vol. 3 (Goong, #3)
  • Goong: The Royal Palace, Vol. 4 (Goong, #4)
  • Goong: Palace Story Vol. 5 (Goong #5)
  • Goong, Palace Story, Volume 6