Start by marking “The Ghost From The Grand Banks” as Want to Read:
The Ghost From The Grand Banks

The Ghost From The Grand Banks

3.31  ·  Rating details ·  1,485 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
It is 2010. In two years' time it will be the centennial of the sinking of the Titanic. Two of the world's most powerful corporations race to raise the vessel but there are other powers at work, and chaos theory comes into play as plans progress - and six preserved bodies are found. This novel incorporates two of Arthur C.Clarke's passions - deep sea exploration and future ...more
Unknown Binding, 274 pages
Published January 1st 2007 by Not Avail (first published November 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Ghost From The Grand Banks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ghost From The Grand Banks

Rex Libris
Dec 02, 2013 rated it did not like it
Once upon a time there was a great author named Arthur C. Clarke who wrote some of the most incredible books. Then in the early 80's he was kidnapped and replaced by a moron who was only capable of writing trash. That is the only explantion for this book. A lot science that had nothing to do with the supposed storyline, and details about the sexual deviancies of many of the charaters that did nothing for the story. So sad that Clarke lost it.
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Aug 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Science Fiction Fans; Those interested in the Sea
I consider myself a fan of Arthur C. Clarke, but somehow I wasn't aware The Ghost From the Grand Banks existed until I found an ebook containing this and his classic The Deep Range. What both books have in common and makes them fitting to be grouped together is that both are works of science fiction dealing with exploration--of the oceans. It seems there are millions of books about space exploration, but I can't think of anyone, other than Clarke, Frank Herbert and Verne who have used exploratio ...more
Jake
Aug 31, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: die-hard Arthur C. Clarke fans
It pains me to give this novel two stars. I wasn’t expecting a masterpiece, but I was hoping for more than I got. I had greater difficulty getting into The Ghost from the Grand Banks than any other stand-alone Arthur C. Clarke novel I’ve read. There is a certain dryness to all of Clarke’s books. However, as I scribbled in the margin, this is “a chronically dry novel steeped in anticlimax.”

This book has several good moments, a couple of great ones; however, I can’t think of any character, subplo
Kay
Mar 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, titanic, sci-fi
I wanted to read this because it involved the Titanic and I was going through 'that kind of phase' at the time. It involved more than just that of course and I enjoyed it very much. It was a new type of idea for sci-fi for me that didn't involve spaceships and aliens, more a near-futuristic feel which I appreciate more :)
Mark
Feb 04, 2009 rated it liked it
At this time of year, towards Christmas, I find myself wanting to read some Arthur C Clarke. It’s a boyhood thing: Sir Arthur’s books were one of my first loves of SF, and I would eagerly read and reread his tales as the nights drew in.

These days the nostalgia is further tempered with the sad fact that I am unlikely to read new material – unless there’s something hidden away in the Clarkives. There’s been nothing since his death in 2008, and no solo material since 1996 to my knowledge. His last
Andrew
Mar 24, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading science fiction portrayals of a future that is now technically in the past is always an interesting experience. Where the author manages to make accurate predictions, one sometimes has to wonder if the prediction wasn’t self-fulfilling, in that it created the idea that inspired the development itself. In this case, though, Clarke was only reaching two decades ahead, from 1990 to 2010, and therefore didn’t feel the need to make any extreme extrapolations. As a result, while he missed the ...more
melydia
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
It's always interesting to read books that take place in a future that is now the past. Granted, this one has a much shorter timeframe - it was written in 1990 and takes place in 2010 - so things aren't all that far off, but the differences are more noticeable for it. I wonder how the story would have changed had Clarke envisioned smart phones. I was especially amused to read about the couple who made their fortune "sanitizing" old movies by removing all evidence of cigarettes. Anyway, this is a ...more
Brendon Schrodinger
A speculative fiction book written in 1990, set on the 100th anniversary of the Titanic sinking. I should have read this last year!

Apart from Rama, this is the only Clarke I have read and I like them. They are by no means masterworks or well-written but I love the science and speculation of his style. He is a great logical dreamer.

The characters are merely pawns to tell the story and put forward great ideas. The story itself is just a "wouldn't it be great if...". But I loved learning about the
Lara
......................whaaaaaat?

Well, I was really enjoying all the various elements of this story--the opposing teams working to bring the two halves of the Titanic up from it's (perhaps not so) final resting place, the Mandelbrot set, a giant octopus, windshields that repel rain with high frequency vibrations instead of wipers--and looking forward to finding out how on earth they would all fit together. Sadly, though, they just...didn't. At least not well. And then the end happened, and...I me
Jennifer (Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー)
I was thinking about this book today. It's not a well Arthur C. Clarke, but it was my first. I remember not being blown away by it, but it stayed well within my consciousness for months on end. This book was my introduction to science fiction despite being a mediocre read - and I'd like to thank Mr Clarke for sucking me into this fantastic world of science fiction.

Image result for arthur c clarke

Courtesy of Jen's mini reviews
Ade Couper
Feb 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Ok , a good rule of thumb for sci-fi is you can't go wrong with Arthur :pretty much holds true for this....

The story is set in 2012 , & concerns ambitious plans to raise the Titanic . Sir Arthur C loved his diving & underwater expeditions , & his enthusiasm for this - & working out the theoretical answer to "just how do you raise the Titanic?" shows through .

Reminds me quite a bit of "The Fountains of Paradise" , as it's the story of the engineering project , which is really the
Brett Ortler
Aug 18, 2015 rated it did not like it
A pretty awful book in almost every respect. Profoundly bad pacing, indistinguishable characters, a nice dash of sexism here and there, and some moments that make the old Batman movie's "Shark Repellent" look entirely plausible. Other than the cockamamie plans to raise the Titanic, which are absolutely absurd, there's also a lot of bad science scattered here and there. For instance, there's the notion that the Titanic is draped in weeds, even though she's located at 12,500 feet. In short, ugh.
J B Angell
Mar 24, 2010 rated it liked it
While not Clarke's best work it's interesting to see the technological predictions. The book was written in 1991 and is set in the present day. This was before things such as twitter or skype and yet Clarke mentions very similar things with startling accuracy.
Maureen
Jan 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
all about the beauty of fractals...
Karl Kindt
Jul 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017
What a mess. This is the penultimate novel ACC wrote without Gentry Lee, and it appears with it he has hit his own metaphoric iceberg and sunk to the bottom. What is the iceberg? Hubris? Lack of care? Needing to bang out a book to make a buck? Losing it mentally? Whatever it was that sunk his ability to write a coherent, much less good, novel, it certainly is shocking. I almost wonder if this was partially ghost written, it is so bad.

Why is bad? Here are some ways. First of all--ACC is fond of u
P.A. Pursley
May 08, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: okay
The first book of Arthur C. Clarke's I read, and still love, is Rendezvous with Rama and I have read it several times. But none of his other books have impressed me as much. This one included.

It is an interesting story of two companies vying for the chance to raise the Titanic but the summary of the book makes it sound creepy and spooky and it is none like that. As a matter of fact, it was kind of a let down. It was well written but anticlimactic.

If you love Arthur C. Clarke and the Titanic thi
Leila P
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
It was ok to read, alhtough the end was disappointing, actually there was no grand finale at all. I have enjoyed Clarke's early works a lot more. The book was published in 1990, when everybody was fascinated by fractals, including Clarke. Furthermore, Clarke's attitude towards some things (like technological progress, enviromentalism and oil industry) seemed like a blast from the past, but it's understandable when you think he was born in 1917.
Igor
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
I stopped reading at about 30 pages from the end. This is the worst written Clarke novel I've ever read. The idea behind the book is very good and so are a lot of the technical ideas that are described but never is there even the slightest hint of being pulled into the story.
I hate to say it but this book is a waste of time.
Jay
Aug 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As compared to other Arthur C. Clarke novels, this one was disappointing. The author based his book on a series of notable science, mathematic, and engineering interests from the time of publishing that are poorly tied together to make up the story line. It is depressing as just about everybody or event ends negatively.
Amy
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
I didn't enjoy this book very much. It wasn't awful, but I didn't really like it much either. I found myself skimming a lot of it and didn't care very much about any of the characters. I picked it up in the library mainly because it was an Arthur C Clarke book, and after reading and enjoying 2001: A Space Odyssey I expected it to be good based upon the author. It's not something I would read again and I'm glad it was a library book and not a book that I bought.
Shivanand Velmurugan
Jun 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
About as meh as it gets. Even A.C.C had to paycheck at some point.
James Christensen
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ghost from the Grand Banks (fiction/novel) Arthur C. Clarke - interesting twist on raising the Titanic.
Daniel DallaValle
Dec 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi
I expected a bit more science fiction with my science here. It was good in terms of science and explanation but overall it was not what I was expecting. That's why I only gave it a 3.
Russel
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: default
As a Clarke fan, I was disappointed with this book. It was meandering and dry. It felt unfocused with interjections of facts and minutiae sprinkled at random in the story.
Slatteryjm
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting
Matthew Kresal
As you will have no doubt heard, this year marks the centenary of the sinking of the Titanic. The sinking of the ship has inspired numerous movies, books and believe it or not at least one science fiction novel. The science fiction novel in question is The Ghost From The Grand Banks, a 1990 novel from one of the masters of the genre, Arthur C. Clarke.

Clarke sets the novel during the years leading up to 2012 as two different groups (one led by inventor Roy Emmerson, the other by computer geniuse
Ian
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Of the Big Three sf writers of the last century, I read more Heinlein than I did Clarke or Asimov. The last I always thought a piss-poor writer, and for some reason Clarke never clicked with me. You’d have thought he would, given he tackles the sort of subjects I enjoy in my sf, and he was very much the hardest, in sf terms, of the three. So you’d also think The Ghost from the Grand Banks, which is about something that has interested me for the past few years, would go down well. It didn’t. The ...more
Ron Arden
Another good story from Arthur Clarke brought me into the world of the Titanic. Two large corporations want to raise sections of the Titanic on the centennial of its sinking (2012) for different purposes. Of course both want to make money and generate huge news coverage, but their ultimate plans are different.

Parkinson's of London engages a noted scientist (Roy Emerson) who was a one-hit wonder when he developed a revolutionary new windshield wiper blade. He is there for political reasons more
Tim C
Aug 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, fiction
A deeply curious read. Enthralling and disappointing in equal measure.

Fascinating to see (and thereby remember) just how far off and technologically distant 2012 felt in 1990 - when thinking nowadays are not much different to back then, but realising there is indeed a big difference in some respects (mobile phones, internet, the climate change 'debate'), yet you can't help feeling Clarke himself doesn't quite believe-in all of his 'predictions' - they are only ever 'possibilities' which he has
Brian Gaston
  • Outland
  • The Nitrogen Fix
  • The Rosetta Codex
  • The Adolescence of P-1
  • How Like a God (Suburban Gods, #1)
  • Twistor
Arthur Charles Clarke was one of the most important and influential figures in 20th century science fiction. He spent the first half of his life in England, where he served in World War Two as a radar operator, before emigrating to Ceylon in 1956. He is best known for the novel and movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, which he co-created with the assistance of Stanley Kubrick.

Clarke was a graduate of King