Start by marking “The Journal of James Halldon (Diary of the Displaced, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Journal of James Halldon (Diary of the Displaced, #1)

The Journal of James Halldon

(Diary of the Displaced #1)

"The Journal of James Halldon".

There is a place where nightmares are real. It is a dark and terrifying place, hidden from the world we know by borders that only the most unfortunate of souls will ever cross.

James Halldon woke up in the dark, alone, without any food or water, without a clue where he was, and with no memory of where he came from.

It only got stranger.

James ha
Nook, 220 pages
Published April 17th 2011

To ask other readers questions about The Journal of James Halldon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Journal of James Halldon

Start your review of The Journal of James Halldon (Diary of the Displaced, #1)
C.V. Hunt
Jun 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Every once in a while I stumble across a book that is so unique and pure, that I cannot believe no one has heard of it.

Glynn James paints a strange and vivid world for James Halldon, but it’s not James’ world. James wakes up in a strange and dark land full of dangerous creatures, but with no memory of how he has arrived there. He takes it upon himself to keep track of his exploration of this new place, and his instincts of survival. Through his journey he finds that everything is not what it se
Georgeanna
Mar 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love, love, love this story!!! I'm rooting for the main character, I love Dogthing. It really sucked me right into it from the very first. I highly recommend this really fun adventure to anyone and everyone!

Daniel
May 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a book i can recommend with all my heart. Its a very interesting story that draws you into the mysterious and strange world James has created immediately. Take it up, read a couple of pages and you are stuck with the book until the end.

The first thing i thought when i finished it was, when can i read the next one?
Netanella
At it's heart, it's a dog story, and I love that. Plus, it's Glynn James, and I enjoyed his dystopian Thrown Away series, and was looking forward to similarly good writing skills applied to a great adventure story.

What I got is much, much more. The Journal of James Halldon is a mash-up of dark fantasy, horror, action adventure, survival science fiction with a twist of "Alice in Wonderland" and a dash of "A Boy and His Dog." It's an incredibly good read set in an imaginative horrorscape that is
Shawn Davis
Dec 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
James Halldon has no idea where he is. It's dark, he's alone, there's no food, nothing to drink, and there seems to be junk everywhere. Also, he discovers, there are zombies.

At one time I was a huge Stephen King fan. I'm not sure what happened along the way, but sometime after Cell, I just felt like his books were no longer giving me the thrill they used to. I'm sure it's not him, it's me; but whatever.

Diary of the Displaced reminded me of everything I loved when I read vintage Stephen King. T
Jody
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-fire, sci-fi
I would not normally read a book like this but I got it free on Amazon so thought I would try it. It's actually pretty good. James Halldon wakes up not knowing where he is and not being able to remember how he got there. He is in the dark, attacked by zombies and talks to ghosts which makes for a strange book but it works. I don't know if I will read any more in this series because my shelf is full of books to read but if I came across the second book for free or cheap I would probably give it a ...more
J.H. Sked
Oct 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fantasy & dystopia fans
I found this a very fast paced, exciting read, with twists I didn't see coming. I thought I was used to this world having already read The Last to Fall by the same author, but it still surprised me.
I found myself wondering what I would have done in the same situations the character found himself in; I was rooting for him all the way. I loved the maw, which were discussed briefly in Last to Fall but examined more closely here, and the bad guy is just plain nasty. This is not I world I'd like to v
Char
Nov 18, 2011 rated it liked it
James Halldon wakes up and doesn't know where or who he is.
He slowly gathers up some supplies and sets off to see if he can figure things out. Along the way he encounters some very strange creatures and befriends one of them-Dogthing. James and Dogthing make their way through a very strange and original world filled with zombies, gargants and a crazy guy named Cutterjack.
I thought it was pretty well written and I enjoyed it enough to read the second book in the series.
Jaime
Nov 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
love this book, wicked twist at the end, hoping for a sequel if there isn't one already ...more
Grace T
When James Halldon finds himself in a mysterious place infested with zombies, he sets out to find Rudy, his friend who died, long ago. Rudy and James set out to find Adler, not quite sure where he'll be. When the three of them, and DogThing, James's wolf like friend, try to escape the darkness of The Corridor, they find themselves facing Cutterjack, a human like creature who craves death. James has Cutterjack's compasses, James doesn't realize it, but they are the keys to the other worlds. Cutt ...more
Mirrani
Apr 22, 2012 rated it liked it
When lost in a world you aren't used to, it's a good idea to keep track of what you see, because it can come back to get you. This, being a diary, has a unique way of describing atmosphere and tension between the main character and what is around him. The character interaction is written in such a way that you can believe someone quickly jotted it down from memory and the occasional odd list of supplies or random thoughts on a subject make the diary experience all the more real.

Having not yet re
Gypsy Madden
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
James Halldon of London, England finds himself in a bizarre world of darkness amid a gigantic landfill. James slowly gets to know the new world he’s trapped in as he searches through the trash and uncovers bits and pieces of the modern world. He also runs across strange creatures that inhabit the darkness with him, including a toothy doglike-creature, zombies, and ghosts, as well as a homicidal maniac known as Cutter-Jack, all the while searching for a way out of the darkness.

This is a surreal n
Elise
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
OMG I loved this book. Alone, lost in the dark world, no idea where or who you are and there are things you never thought you'd encounter there.

The plot, characters and world created was great. For me to have no idea at all where a book is going is rare as rocking horse shit! Can't recommend it enough and really look forward to see if book 2 can keep it going.
lou brown
While a unique premise,nothing was truly answered in the end. Implausable that he survived 4 days without any water or liquids to drink. While this was a free read I felt disappointed in the end and probably will not read the sequel.
Kim
Oct 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: zombies-oh-my
A free book, another take on "zombies." At this point, I think I'll be well prepared in the event of a zombie attack! ...more
Carissa
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
A little rough around the edges, editing-wise, but absolutely amazing for a self-published book. Great start to a great series.
Fitzy
Mar 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Totally addicted to this book a real good read can't wait Till the next episode ...more
Marcus
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review

This is a story about the end of the world, but not our world. That is the thrust of this story, but it's not the cut and dried run of the mill story. The author has a unique style that draws the reader in and has him invested into the story. The characters are also unique, dynamic, and have what one could call an investment in the story. I guess one could call the story a who done it type of story and what are we gonna
Carolyn Injoy
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Diary of the Displaced: The Last to Fall by Glynn James The Diary of the Displaced: The Last to Fall by Glynn James is another great story. I gave it four stars.

"I served him as he asked, just a neat whiskey. He didn't have any money and didn't even offer to pay, but that didn't bother me. I think in some way I needed him to turn up at that moment, needed someone to talk to, someone to listen to for a while, just so that I could get my head around what I was preparing to do after he had lef
Clint the Cool Guy
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: could-not-finish
A compelling enough read until zombies come into the book. Now that’s just dumb. Can’t be taken seriously at that point, and I’m not interested in continuing this.

I strongly suspect that the narrator not knowing his past or where he is located is because the author doesn’t know those things either, and is just making up random events as he writes. I’m not interested in finding out if I’m correct or not.
Michael
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Something completely unexpected

I think I love this book. It will take me some time to be sure how much I love it. I mean I do love it. I need to read the rest of the series now. I no longer wonder if I will read them all. They’re like Farmer’s Dungeon but I don’t know how much so yet. Yes like but different, I’m sure of that. Now though I’m going to buy the rest of them. I mean right now.
Cade Carvell
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reminds me of a good dean koontz or Steven king book

It has a great plot and story line full of discovery and revelations to the lead character. Very much like Steven kings dark tower series!
Diane
Aug 22, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A journey to a different time n place.

The writer has an unbelievable imagination. You will be thrown into a world of ruins zombies n creatures that I can't even explain. If this is an adventure u r willing to take, hold on n enjoy the ride!
Catalina Fugariu
Aug 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a different story than what I have read before. It was an interesting concept and kept me hooked for most of the story. There was a little bit of repetition and seemed a little slow sometimes but it always left me curious for more.
karen bridges
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing can't wait for the next.

Mr. James is a genius when it comes to strange worlds you hope you never have to live in. His characters live with you long after the book is finished. My advice is to read everything he writes.
Funnyface
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Dogthing forever! I love this entire series! couldn't get enough!

there was a part at the end when he looked into the mirror and I got really confused and had to read it several times. lol
Jill
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dkolacinski
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm addicted to this series, kind of a warped Alice in Wonderland, reminiscent of classis golden age SF like Murray Leinster's THE MAD PLANET. ...more
Cheryl
Aug 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Kind of a dark and dreary tale. I got interested and had to finish, but it was just so weird.
C H
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intersting very interesting

I want to keep going as this is a mystery that must be solved. Nicely done author. I look forward to the next.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Apocalypse Whenever: A bunch of Glynn James' "Diary" books will be free this weekend 9 28 May 13, 2013 01:36AM
The Free Book Cha...: Diary of the Displaces, by Glynn James 2 5 Oct 26, 2012 10:06PM
A bit of good news... 4 13 Sep 12, 2011 09:18AM
the corridor by glynn james 2 16 May 07, 2011 01:27AM

• The Soul Taker (The Gabriel Files Book 1)
  • Cades Home Farm (Reach for the Dead, #2)
  • Rise To Me (Psychic Surveys, #2)
  • The Haunting of Highdown Hall (Psychic Surveys, #1)
  • A Stranger in Olondria
  • Waking the Witch (The Witch of Cheyne Heath #1)
  • Slip Song (Devany Miller, #2)
  • Mandy (Reach for the Dead #1)
  • The Federal Witch
  • Cooper Collection 014 (Dead Ringer)
  • Sherlock Holmes & The Monumental Horror (New Sherlock Holmes Adventures, #1)
  • The American Whaler: An Ennin Mystery #41
  • As A Man Thinketh by James Allen | Key Points by CliffNotes
  • Of Blood and the Ratcatcher
  • No Spring Chicken: A Woman of a Certain Age (Fifty and Fabulous #1)
  • What Dusk Divides (The Frost Arcana #5)
  • The Frost Arcana: Books 1-4 Box Set
  • Diamonds and Cole (Cole Sage Mystery #1)
More info on his writing and projects can be found at www.glynnjames.co.uk or on facebook at www.facebook.com/glynnjamesfiction

GLYNN JAMES, born in Wellingborough, England, in 1972, is an author of science fiction, post-apocalyptic, dark fantasy, horror, and dystopian fiction.

His love of science fiction and horror began when he was eight years old after discovering HP Lovecraft and Richard Matheso

Diary of the Displaced (5 books)
  • The Broken Lands (Diary of the Displaced, #2)
  • The Ways (Diary of the Displaced, #3)
  • Footprints (Diary of the Displaced, #4)
  • Where No River Falls (Diary of the Displaced, #5)