Start by marking “Beauty is a Verb: The New Poetry of Disability” as Want to Read:
Beauty is a Verb: The New Poetry of Disability

Beauty is a Verb: The New Poetry of Disability

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  130 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Chosen by the American Library Association as a 2012 Notable Book in Poetry.

Beauty is a Verb is a ground-breaking anthology of disability poetry, essays on disability, and writings on the poetics of both. Crip Poetry. Disability Poetry. Poems with Disabilities. This is where poetry and disability intersect, overlap, collide and make peace.

"[BEAUTY IS A VERB] is going to be
Published October 11th 2011 by Cinco Puntos Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Beauty is a Verb, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beauty is a Verb

knig
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, favourites
I’ve been shismed in this cornucopia of raw human suffering, distilled to purple every crevasse of emotional fibre.

Protean voices of raw anger and despair churn a bitter champagne of disconnect between mind and body, and in this tumultuous grappling for clarity and sanity, an altogether recombobulated , visceral Aphrodite is born.

Pure mental torture to read.

Alex Lemon’s mosquito

You want evidence of the street
fight? A gutter-grate bruise & concrete scabs—
here are nails on the tongue,
a mosaic
Ely
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: honours, poetry
I think this is a really good introduction into disability poetry—there are lots of different poets and disabilities explored within. I've got this huge list of poets whose collections I want to read now that I probably wouldn't have found without this book.
菁华
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthologies, poetry
I wouldn't normally review something while I'm still reading it but I don't read poetry anthologies from start to finish (I've read the introduction and now I'm flicking back and forth through the poems and essays) and I wanted to recommend it to everyone. It's a really stunning collection. The introduction is food for thought; I think the editors have done an amazing job. I've already found a bunch of poets I want to read further (Ona Gritz is the only name I can remember without having the boo ...more
RUSA CODES
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Collection of poems and essays that provides insight into the lives of the estimated 50 million Americans with disabilities.

For the complete list of 2012 Notable Books winners, please visit RUSA Awards 2012
Siobhan
Sep 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is rocking my world. As an anthology, it is so skillfully done--has several good, brief section introductions that introduce readers to some of the big concepts of disability studies and the history of the disability rights movement. And the poetry is STUNNING.
NebraskaIcebergs
Dec 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
My review will not do justice to Beauty is a Verb, edited by Jennifer Bartlett, Sheila Black, and Michael Northern. Poetry anthologies do not fall under my expertise, even if the subject matter of disabilities is something I know about as a special education teacher. However, this almost 400-page book created such as impact on me that I’m going to try to write a few words of recommendation.

Should you ever have opportunity to pick up Beauty is a Verb what you’ll have in your hands will be far mor
Heather
Mar 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, disabilities
3.5. This was hard to rate--it's a poetry anthology about disabilities. Try as I might, I really have a hard time getting into poetry. However, I really enjoyed the essays by poets preceding the actual poetry.
Louise
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent
Marie
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This collection of poems not only speaks to disabilities... but to the human experience
Mike
May 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I don't really have much by way of insightful or reflective commentary here besides that some poets' introductions resonated with me and some others did not, and this does not necessarily correlate to which poets' poetry resonated with me and which did not. It was uncommon that a poet's introductory essay to their work *and* their work really captivated me.

Yet some of the remarks made about how oftentimes the pain of being viewed as 'disabled' is harder to handle that the pain incurred physiolog
Bina CHAUHAN
Jan 31, 2018 rated it did not like it
It’s a good concept but I thought most of it started off dry so I didn’t finish reading it. Although the poem ‘Normal’ mentions “Sammy and I” and that made me happy 😃
Cheryl
Apr 28, 2013 rated it liked it
For me, poetry is a way to make art of words while also having beauty and meaning. Simply using words cleverly can be art, but it doesn’t resonate or nest into your heart and mind unless it showcases what it means to be human. A poem about the beauty of nature is less powerful for me than a poem about the beauty of nature and how it makes you feel or think or change. This compilation is stunning, and it has nothing to do with nature outside, but inside. It has to do with what it means to be huma ...more
Diana H.
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
Anyone who knows me knows that I'm not really the poetry sort. If I read poetry, it's of the "Roses are red, Violets are blue" sort of poem (although I do enjoy a good limerick on occasion as well).
So, when I picked up this book I didn't have the slightest idea how deep and thoughtful it would be.
This is a collection of poems by various authors who are each disabled in some way.
I didn't 'get' many of the poems, (most do not rhyme), but I think poetry lovers will enjoy this collection.
There were
Mills College Library
811.60809 B384 2011
Jennifer Styperk
Aug 13, 2012
rosalind
this is good but each author's work is preceded by a long introduction which, i don't have time to read that rn lol
Jun 08, 2014
  • Blue Front: Poems
  • My Alexandria
  • The Master Letters: Poems
  • My Emily Dickinson
  • The Works of Anne Bradstreet (John Harvard Library)
  • Why I Burned My Book and Other Essays on Disability