Start by marking “3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)” as Want to Read:
3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)

3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey #4)

3.5  ·  Rating details ·  17,381 Ratings  ·  590 Reviews
It began four million years ago with a gleaming black monolith—an inexplicable apparition that ignited the spark of human consciousness, transforming ape into man.

It continued at the dawn of the twenty-first century when an identical black monolith was excavated on the moon—beginning the adventures of Dave Bowman, his deputy, Frank Poole, and the supercomputer HAL.

Only Dav
Published February 25th 1997 by Del Rey Books

To ask other readers questions about 3001, please sign up.

Noah Ward Yes, although it leaves room for interpretation. Keeping in mind that Arthur C. Clarke will never fully explain every secret and answer to the…moreYes, although it leaves room for interpretation. Keeping in mind that Arthur C. Clarke will never fully explain every secret and answer to the universe, he definitely answers the questions that have been asked by fans for decades such as "What are the monoliths? Where do they come from? Who/what created them? What is their intention?". If you have read the first three books then the final odyssey is definitely worth reading. I feel obligated to warn you that if you haven't read the first three then don't read the last one. And whatever you do, do not read the back cover of the books if you don't want any spoilers.(less)

Jean
3001: The Final Odyssey is ultimately a flawed book, written to end a series which has sadly become increasingly redundant. Sad? Yes, because Arthur C. Clarke was a phenomenally good scientist with a lively imagination and the ability to craft very readable novels.

3001 is the 4th and final volume in Arthur C. Clarke’s “Odyssey” series, starting with “2001”. The other 2 books are “201o - Odyssey 2” and “2061 - Odyssey 3”. I have to admit to not having read the middle 2 books, but since Arthur C.
Henry Avila
The 4th and last of the 2001 series. Dr.Heywood Floyd is not in this novel.Even the eternal, good doctor, can't live 1,000 years.But Frank Poole, that's a horse of a different color.Frank's body is floating, floating,being pushed out into the limitless universe.Gently moving up and down,twisting, tumbling,passing numerous distant planets,asteroids,rocks.Even an occasional comet.Unseen in the darkness ,in a calm peaceful sleep.Leaving the troubled Solar System behind.What dreams he must have had. ...more
Navi
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: disappointing
It's both amusing and sad when a book series falls flat on its face during its final leaps. The Odyssey series is, unfortunately, one of these. Except instead of attempting to get back up and trying to pretend its fall never happened, 3001 wallows in the failure, following the same idea as 2061; nothing happens. Well, nothing substantial, anyway.

Let me be the first to say that I don't mind that Frank comes back to life. It was a (sort of) logical way to show Dave's human side (sort of) while sti
Daavid (דוד)
Fourth and the final book in the Space Odyssey saga. It was astonishing, as this book too, continues to pour the wonders and awesomeness of evolution, and future-tech alike. Unlike in Book three (2061), which lacked anything about the advancements in technology, this book makes up for it, totally!

Frank Poole's experiences after returning back a millennia later, into Star City, a ringed structure at the Geostationary Earth Orbit connected to Earth by four Space Towers at the Equator, and his lear
Daniel
Jul 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
I jos jedna knjiga koju mi je tesko oceniti. Sa jedne strane imamo odlican opis moguce buducnosti (vrlo pozitivna buducnost) prikazane kroz oci nekoga ko dolazi iz naseg vremena. Ideje i nivo detalja u tom delu su odlicni iprosto raspiruju mastu.

Ali u druom delu knjige dobija se utisak da gosn Klark nije imao cistu viziju sta je uopste hteo da kaze sa knjigom pa citava prica ima nekako nedoreceni osecaj. Plus di je nestao Hejvud Flojd?

Ipak knjiga daje dosta odgovora ne mnoga pitanja iz prethodni
Hope
Aug 19, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Perry Whitford
Of the two astronauts awake on the spaceship Discovery when the super-computer HAL went nuts, Frank Poole certainly drew the short straw. While Dave Bowman ended up an immortal extraterrestrial hybrid with the powers of a god, poor Poole ended up left for dead and floating off into the cold vacuum of space.

Left for dead, but not - as we discover at the start of the fourth and final Space Odyssey story - actually dead. His body frozen into an effective state of hibernation, Poole floats unconscio
Efka
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
A great ending of a series. And it's even more astonishing that Arthur C. Clarke managed to end his famous series by writing an utopia, which is not so very common a genre, isn't it? It's short, but it's really well done and the reason of taking us to the year 3001 is brilliant. Certainly 3001 is as good as 2001.
Todd
Sep 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All the pathetic earth people
David
Sep 05, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Finally I've reached the end of the journey ... AND WHAT A WASTE OF TIME!!!! -_- Never again will I pick up anything written by Clarke. Honestly I can't understand how even got published. No identifiable Lead character in most of the books, no clear objective for what lead there was, the books meander around for the most part with dated and ludicrous speculation and no confrontation until the end, and what there was of a knockout closing seemed to appear out of nowhere. Internal conflict in the ...more
Μιτς Γιωτίξ
Copy pasting from previous books instead of writing new descriptions, progressing the story only on the last 30-40 pages and closing this awesome series with a bland ending. Needless to say, it was a kind of a let down, unlike the first and second books which were AMAZING. I seriously hope that Clarke doesn't do the same "mistakes" in his other books because I seriously enjoy his writing style and subjects.
I'm giving it 3 stars instead of 2 because of Clarke's presentation of future humanity, an
Todd
Oct 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
The late Arthur C. Clarke is one of my favorite science fiction writers and 2001: A Space Odyssey, based on an earlier short story of his, The Sentinel (1948), has always been something of a spiritual experience for me, even though I am not prone to spiritual experiences. But, given the prescient depiction of the moon and our galaxy in those pre-Apollo mission days, both film and book are breathtaking.
For this current generation reared on CGI animation and blockbuster special effects and IMAX,
Stella
This may be my favorite Odyssey. (although I thought that after each of the Odyssey books)
But really, I am just so thrilled with this one, how genius to bring back Frank Poole from the dead and to put the 21st century scientist in the 31st century.
I savored every word, every image, really and it read so plausible.
Hope we will achieve that society from 31 century. (Clarke seems to think so in other of his books, there is always some kind of Utopia there)

Check this out:
"It was generally agreed t
Kai Parker
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
خب باید بگم که خوندنش از گروهان هم بیشتر طول کشید
هرکاری کردم نتونستم جذبش شم ، ینی صرفا تخیل بود نه هیجان ، البته خلاقیت نویسنده بیداد میکرد.
ولی در برخی جاها چنان به خودش سخت میگرفت و از کلممات سختی برای توصیف استفاده میکرد که نمیتونستم چیزی رو به تصور کنم.
شاید هم بخاطر ترجمه قدیمیش بود
ولی از فصل هایی که از زبان فرانک پول بودند تا دانای کل ، بیشتر لذت میبردم
یه نکته کوچیک هم داشت که نظرم رو جلب کرد . در فصل 37 ، نویسنده بطور غیر مستقیم به الن تیورینگ اشاره کرده بود که خیلی خوشم اومد و باعث ش
Kadir Kılıç
2061'den sonra 3001 çok güzel geldi ve seri güzel bir şekilde sonlandı.Serideki kitapları en sevdiğimden en az Sevdiğime sıralayacak olursam 2010>3001>2001>2061 şeklinde olur.
Peter Tillman
My 1998 review:

"3001" has accumulated mixed reviews, perhaps because it's not really a novel: think "Looking Backward" or "Ralph 124C41+". Thankfully, it's better-written than those, but Dr. Clarke won't be remembered as a prose stylist.

The plot outline is familiar by now - Frank Poole is revived after a thousand years as a cryo-corpse - flung into space in 2001 by the malevolent HAL. He marvels at the Wonders of the World of 3001, and gets reaquainted with Dave Bowman - and HAL - within the gre
prcardi
Storyline: 2/5
Characters: 3/5
Writing Style: 3/5
World: 3/5

This was a coda more than a concluding volume.

Arthur C. Clarke was 80 years old when this was published. Throughout the reading I felt like I was listening to a speech from an aged yet highly decorated senior citizen. He would muse, he would ponder, he would pontificate on things the newer generation were already engaging with at much higher levels and newer tools. You indulge the author though because he's earned respect throughout his l
T
Jun 05, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
3001: The Final Odyssey brings Arthur C. Clarke's famed series to a merciful end, closing out what was perhaps a misguided effort from the beginning, or at least from 14 years after the first book, when a sequel was written.

Trouble began brewing in the Odyssey series with the release of 2010: Odyssey Two, in which Clarke decided to abandon all differences between the previous book and the movie version, and act as though only the movie events had occurred. As someone who greatly preferred the bo
Dan
Jul 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
It's a thousand years since Frank Poole's death at the metaphorical hands of HAL and humanity has entered a new golden age. A spaceship finds Poole floating deep in the solar system and with the help of 3001 technology he is revived. Poole's second life allows him to see what humanity has become and soon realizes he might be may still be able to once again meet fellow astronaut Dave Bowman, or the thing he has become anyway.

Straight away I'm afraid I must point out this last Odyssey book is the
Blind_guardian
I have quite enjoyed reading Arthur C Clarke's four-parter, but one of Clarke's tricks does not hold up well to a marathon run through the series. I noticed that every book takes large sections of text from earlier books, pasting them in as flashbacks that are word for word reproductions of what he said the first time. If there were supposed to be subtle changes from one book to the next, I didn't see any. I've only seen David Bowman's flythrough of Jupiter and visit to the oceans of Europa abou ...more
Edward Davies
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an okay ending to the set of books, with a story line that wasn't as confusing as some of the instalments that preceded it. That said, the ending was a little abrupt and seemed to come out of nowhere, and it would have been nice to have a more rounded finish to the series!
Jason S
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Well, that was something. 3001 held a sense of excitement since I started reading the series. It's a shame that I have to say, I was mostly let down. Right off the bat, I didn't like the route taken to introduce the main character for this final "odyssey". Besides that, my main complaints are that it was just too slow and disjointed throughout.
During the first half, I kept thinking "what is the point here?". Clarke's vision of the distant future was intriguing, but the story lacked any sort of h
Garrett
While not as good as the first three, the Final Odyssey was still very interesting. The plot doesn't quite begin for a third of the book, but who's counting?

I love me some Arthur C. Clarke, guys, and this is no exception.
Joe Farrar
storyline was good but this was another novel that left me feeling like the author got bored and just ended the story just to end the story
Jareed
It is noteworthy to consider how Arthur Clarke opened the third book, and what the ramifications to the entire series were. With wanting pragmatism, he wrote that:

"Just as 2010: Odyssey Two was not a direct sequel to 2001: A Space Odyssey, so this book is not a linear sequel to 2010. They must all be considered as variations on the same theme, involving many of the same characters and situations, but not necessarily happening in the same universe.
Developments since Stanley Kubrick suggested in
Pawel Szupryczynski
I respect Arthur C. Clarke very much. His visions, imagination, scientific base for books is astonishing. Yet, It's truly terrible how the Space Odyssey "slides down" after two first books.

The biggest "sin" for me is that each book is a separate entity, kind of parallel universe. The characters are the same, but the facts/past events change in every book. I could understand that in Odyssey 2010, as there was a movie made in parallel and the space program seemed to be in different stage when Clar
Dave In
Oct 27, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Read it yourself and then try to tell me it deserves more stars. I simply cannot connect this work with the absolute genius Clarke displayed with "Childhood's End" or the first 1968 Odyssey novel. Here's the synopsis:

1. Discovery astronaut Frank Poole is found floating in space in the year 3001. He is reanimated, and tries to adjust to life in the 31st century.

2. Frank get's bored and hitches a ride to a colony on Jupiter's moon, Ganymede.

3. Meanwhile, for the past 100 years, the hybrid plant/an
Chance
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
FINALLY DONE. After all the this time, after all the hype, and after all that could have been, the Final Odyssey ends "not with a bang but a whimper". The story is far from uninteresting, but I can't help but feel like Sir Clarke has done a great disservice to his characters. Its made clear in the author's notes that the series was never intended to be a linear series, and that things involving same characters could exist in different universes, but I still feel like this final part of it feels ...more
Daniorte
Sep 06, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
He intentado verle el punto positivo a este final de saga y no lo he conseguido. Da una sensación de haber alargado forzosamente la saga. Si al menos esto se hubiera hecho para dar un final digno pues lo entendería pero con el final que le da se te queda cara de tonto.

La forma de escribir el libro a través tampoco me ha gustado, no se llega a profundizar en ningún personaje y producen todos bastante indiferencia. No es mi intención desvelar nada clave de la trama, pero con lo grande que son las
Angelo Giardini
Em 3001, A Odisséia Final, Arthur C. Clarke apresenta algumas respostas a todas as dúvidas geradas na cabeça daqueles que leram ou assistiram às adaptações cinematográficas de 2001, Uma Odisséia no Espaço, e 2010, Uma Odisséia no Espaço 2. Quem são os monolitos, quem os comanda e qual o seu propósito são algumas das perguntas já respondidas nas duas primeiras páginas da obra.

Já a história em si gira em torno do resgate, mil anos depois, do corpo do astronauta Frank Poole, abandonado, em 2001, pe
  • Fantastic Voyage II:  Destination Brain
  • Manifold: Space (Manifold, #2)
  • Great Sky River (Galactic Center, #3)
  • Legacy (The Way, #3)
  • Venus (The Grand Tour, #18)
  • Maelstrom (Arthur C. Clarke's Venus Prime, Book 2)
  • Mindbridge
Arthur C. Clarke was one of the most important and influential figures in 20th century science fiction. He spent the first half of his life in England, where he served in World War Two as a radar operator, before emigrating to Ceylon in 1956. He is best known for the novel and movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, which he co-created with the assistance of Stanley Kubrick.

Clarke was a graduate of King's Co
More about Arthur C. Clarke...

Space Odyssey (4 books)
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #1)
  • 2010: Odyssey Two (Space Odyssey, #2)
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Ladies of Mandrigyn (Sun Wolf and Starhawk, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Dreamsongs. Volume I (Dreamsongs, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Second Ship (The Rho Agenda, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
“My favourite definition of an intellectual: 'Someone who has been educated beyond his/her intelligence.

[Sources and Acknowledgements: Chapter 19]”
352 likes