Start by marking “Taken by the Cowboy” as Want to Read:
Taken by the Cowboy

Taken by the Cowboy (Dodge City Brides #3)

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  1,349 Ratings  ·  188 Reviews
HERO AND PROTECTOR

Former bounty hunter, expert gunslinger, and the toughest sheriff Dodge City has ever known, Truman Wade is a real man from the tip of his black Stetson right down to his spurs and leather boots. He’s never met his match in a gunfight, but he’s never met a gorgeous, gutsy woman from the twenty-first century either…

TORN BETWEEN TWO WORLDS

Newly single af
Published June 13th 2011 (first published June 10th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Taken by the Cowboy, please sign up.

Terri
Feb 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Honestly, I am getting really frustrated by book ratings, especially on Amazon. This author and book has a nearly 5 star rating on Amazon, so I bought it. However, I feel like it is entirely undeserved.

In my opinion, there are two three major flaws in this story, and several smaller ones.

* First, this is a time travel story. However, very little is made about the glaring differences that would certainly exist between a modern woman, and the early 1800's in Dodge city. Several people wander thro
Michele ~ la Smoocherina
My Truman

I enjoyed this book. The heroine, Jessica was very strong and plucky. Accidentally time traveling to 1881 Dodge City, Kansas wear jeans with a zipper (gasp), red stilettos and a leather jacket, she immediately drew the attention of the Sherriff. Sherriff Truman Wade is so yummy. A quick draw with his six shooter, and an earnest heart, he is the stuff women's fantasies are made of. Truman is gorgeous, wears a Stetson and can whistle for his horse, Thunder, who will come running. Why is t
Kristiej
Jul 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A time travel Western!!! Ke-wl. I’m guessing here, but I think this one is one of the the books in the new Amazon Line that Connie Brockway is part of and can I just say I am So In with this? I’m glad I have an i-pad with a Kindle app so I can read these books. A Western Time Travel isn’t a trope you see very often. Since I really like both, that’s why I was sold on this book right away.

In order to enjoy a time travel book, you have to be willing to suspend belief more that say a contemporary or
Pamela(AllHoney)
Jessica Delaney aka Junebug Jess is transported back in time to 1881 when she is in a car accident. While trying to figure out where she really is a dead body drops in front of her and the people of Dodge believe she shot and killed the outlaw, Lou. Truman Wade is the sheriff and arrests Jessica until he can get the facts.

The plot had a lot of potential but it lacked something. It wasn't horrible but it wasn't great either. There is a lot of running and hiding as the baddies are trying to kidna
MoonGlitter
Nov 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book drew me in from the first page! I haven't read a lot of time travel romance books but now I'm thinking maybe I should put more on my list! First we meet Jessica Delaney. She is a modern day woman who is in the middle of dealing with her own grief and loss when she is in a car accident and the impossible happens....she is catapulted back in time. She finds herself in the wild west. 1800's style!!
This is where her adventure begins. She meets sheriff Wade Truman under circumstances that a
Kathrynn
Jul 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kathrynn by: Auntee
Mechanically written and the extreme details could have been edited to make the story flow better. For me, this was a "B" book. The author has potential, but the dialogue was too "scripted" for me to say anything more positive. The plot was typical, and had absolutely no surprises.

The main characters, Wade Truman and Jessica Delaney, lacked depth. The emotion was missing which kept me on the outside of the book, not really all that interested in the story, and glad when it ended. It felt like t
Susan (susayq ~)

This was a cute little romance. However, it had me rolling my eyes in some places cause Jessica would go from being sassy and brave to being secretive and almost whiny about wanting to go home and protesting her innocence of murder (which she was). I had no clue how they were going to get their happily ever after, so I was pleasantly surprised by what happened at the end when Jessica came back to the future.
Rebecca

You know sometimes you get a book knowing it'll be ridiculous and flawed and definitely not the greatest read but you kind of know you'll enjoy reading it anyway? Well that was this book for me. It was ridiculous, I mean a woman travelling back to the 1800s and falling for a cowboy? And her managing not to get herself killed her convince herself or others she's not insane? Yeah, I don't think so. But I had fun reading. It passed and evening and I can't grumble too much.

It was flawed. I
The BookChick
Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star-read
Book Description:
HERO AND PROTECTOR
Former bounty hunter, expert gunslinger, and the toughest sheriff Dodge City has ever known, Truman Truman is a real man from the tip of his black Stetson right down to his spurs and leather boots. He’s never met his match in a gunfight, but he’s never met a gorgeous, gutsy woman from the twenty-first century either…
TORN BETWEEN TWO WORLDS
Newly single after a rocky breakup with her self-absorbed fiancé, newspaper columnist Jessica Delaney crashes her car in a
Jenn
Oct 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I've read plenty of cowboy/ outlaw romances. I've read books dealing with time traveling as well. However, I've never read a story where the two genres were put together. For me, this was a nice "outside of the box" story of the two genres. I was also happy to find the Hero's name,Truman, that I haven't come across, as of to date, for the leading male. That was refreshing,to read a name that isn't common, like so many other book leading males. Hats off to the author for giving me a bit of an ori ...more
Laura (Kyahgirl)
3/5; 3 stars; B

This was a sweet and enjoyable romance. Time travel can be pretty tricky to pull off and and I'd say the author did a good job. I wish she had fleshed out the ending a bit more but, still, it was fine. I don't think I've read anything else by Julianne MacLean but I liked her style enough to check out her other works.
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Julianne MacLean's writing really leaves something to be desired. It's flat. Uninspired and uninspiring. She seems to delight in just taking the formula and throwing in some stock characters and dialogue. I was bored. Which was kind of sad because I enjoyed the twist at the end. I thought it was cool...so this story in the hands of a more competent writer could have been awesome.
Denise
Apr 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Barbara ★
I've enjoyed other books by Ms. MacLean's but this one doesn't hit the mark. I really like time travel romances but the one thing I like was missing in this book. The adaptation to the new environment - whether it be traveling back in time or into the future - the event should present a great shock to the time traveler as this is something he or she has never imagined before and cannot (should not) be able to shrug off like it's nothing.

In this case Sheriff Truman Wade thinks Jessica Delaney's
Marilyn
Feb 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Marilyn by: Medieval-Western BOTM
If I could give 2.5 stars I'd do it but only because the first few opening chapters and the two at the end really got my attention. Everything else inbetween was lacking, as if it was written by a new novelist who hadn't learned how to strengthen the novel's plot line. In short, it felt it was written by a beginner. To me, this was surprising since I'd read several books by Julianne MacLean before and never felt this way. Perhaps because the books I'd read before were in the The American Heiress ...more
Dawn
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I got this book as part of an anthology a long time ago, and this is the only one I've read. And I've read it many times.
I absolutely love this book.
Jessica is thrust into the past and due to inconvenient circumstances, is blamed for something she didn't do.
Enter Truman Wade, a sexy Sheriff hell bent of finding out as much about Jessica that he can.
He seems familiar to her, but can't place from where.
I know in those times, men couldn't show their feelings as freely as they do today, and with T
Sandra Dagg
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Just finished this one, and my face is a mess, if that's any indication of how good the story was! I would give it 4 stars if possible. I started this one before Christmas, so got sidetracked, and had to restart, not that I'd forgotten everything, but I did need to refresh my memory. Re-reading the first few chapters was not a hardship, as I truly enjoyed this story. It has a bit of a different twist to it, and I had my suspicions, which were sort of confirmed in the end, in a very nice way! I w ...more
Donna Porter
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was the first time travel book I have read. It is part of the Bodyguard box set. I really enjoyed it. I am a big fan of western romance and this took our girl Jessica back to 1881 Dodge City. There she meets Truman the sheriff. They are attracted to each other but try not to act on it. There are a lot of scenes in the book I really loved. They think Jessica has killed a man and she is going to be hung. You really have to read this book. There is so much in it I can't explain. It was a great ...more
Joanne
Aug 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: julianne-maclean
This is a light-hearted fun read. It was romantic with great characters. The book is perfect for those days when you want to be entertained and not stretch your brain cells too far. I thoroughly enjoyed it and will definitely be reading Julianne MacLean's books in the future.
HeatherTX
I really enjoyed this read! This storyline was very entertaining and towards the end of it I was in tears but Jessica and Truman do get their HEA. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys a time traveled romance with a western twist.
AH
Dec 14, 2011 marked it as to-read
Free download from www.allromance.com 12/14/11
P.A. Lupton
Jul 21, 2012 rated it liked it

This book really wasn't my cup of tea. I found myself skimming a lot of the book, bored with the storyline. It was just okay.
Shirl
Aug 11, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a fun, entertaining, romantic sexy read. I wish it was longer and had more depth to the characters. Love time travel back to the old west.
shirlene brown
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Finding love

Julianne MacLean has done a excellent job on this story about a woman who goes back in time and finds her true love. I think it would be kind of strange to go back in time and lived in that time period and fall in love with someone. I give this story a five star rating because of the story of the west.
Gail
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book, a wonderful way to take your mind off the ridiculous reality in which we live.
Ann-Maree Howarth
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great mix of time travel and a sexy cowboy. Loved the characters and the plot. cute nickname June-bug. It was a can't put it down read
Bernadette Payne
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a fun twist to time travel. This was a freebie that I would have paid for. It's my first book by this author, but I will be looking for more. I really liked the surprise ending.
Shari
Feb 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
When I started this book, I right away knew what was happening, but I kept reading. It seems I have read the first chapter in this book sometime in the past, but never finished it. Or if I did finish it I don’t remember anything but the first chapter. So I was once again interested in this book and started reading it again.

Jessica Delaney is your normal girl. She has a loving mother and father. A brother and a fiancé. When the book opens up, Jessica and her family are in a waiting room at the ho
Henry Le Nav
Jul 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Not a bad read altogether. Romance is not my thing. (I keep saying that as I read yet another steamy romance--hopefully it is just a phase I will grow out of.) I was intrigued by the notion of a modern woman going back to the 1880s and the sexual tension that would exist between a macho albeit victorian wild west lawman and a modern woman born and reared on this side of the sexual revolution.

Actually the western part of the book wasn't too bad. The book didn't get bogged down in lengthy explana
Michelle K
Feb 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I had no idea it was a time travel book.

Taken by the Cowboy was one of those Twitter feed posts that grabbed my attention. "Free - Taken by the Cowboy" I didn't even read the blurb. I just saw "free" and I saw "cowboy" and clicked to download. Even after I loaded the book onto my trusty Kindle, I still didn't read the book blurb. So I'm reading away and right at the very beginning of the book, I was captured. Emotionally sad but gripping beginning. Then t
  • Zakia and the Cowboy (Thunder Creek Ranch #1)
  • The Perfect Score
  • Catch Me If You Can
  • Calvin's Cowboy (Calvin's Cowboy #1)
  • Beneath the Neon Moon
  • White Wedding (The Guardian Agency #1)
  • Bodywork (The Works, #1)
  • The Holding (Medieval Knights, #1)
  • Identity Crisis
  • Of Noble Birth
  • Wanted - Dead or Alive
  • Hidden Talents (Hidden, #1)
  • Sold to the Highest Bidder (Second Chances)
  • The Battle Lord's Lady (Battle Lord Saga, #1)
  • The Centurion and the Queen
  • Desperado (Creole Historical, #3)
  • Pleasure's Foehn (WindVerse, #1)
  • Escaped (Running In Fear, #1)
Julianne MacLean is a USA Today bestselling author of over twenty historical romance novels, including The Highlander Trilogy with St. Martin's Press and her popular Pembroke Palace Series with Avon/Harper Collins. She also writes contemporary mainstream fiction, and her 2011 release THE COLOR OF HEAVEN was a digital bestseller. She is a three-time RITA finalist, and has won numerous awards, inclu ...more
More about Julianne MacLean

Dodge City Brides (3 books)
  • Mail Order Prairie Bride (Dodge City Brides, #1)
  • Tempting the Marshal

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Heat Wave
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Pleasures (Pleasures, #2)
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Some Kind of Hero (Troubleshooters, #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $1.99
“It’s no different from losing a loved one,” he said. “You grieve, but then you have no choice but to go on living your life. You find a way to be happy again. It’s not impossible. You just have to decide when you’re ready to accept that they’re gone.” 0 likes