Start by marking “My Exile Lifestyle” as Want to Read:
My Exile Lifestyle

My Exile Lifestyle

Two Years Later

It was two years ago that I started transforming my life from a fast-paced pursuit of the American Dream into something a little bit different, less comfortable and more risky.

In that time I’ve written a great deal about the logistics of long-term travel, serial-entrepreneurship, branding and the philosophies that have helped me achieve a degree of success
Published 2011 by Ebookling

To ask other readers questions about My Exile Lifestyle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Exile Lifestyle

Start your review of My Exile Lifestyle
James
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Colin Wright has the perfect life on paper. Or at least that's what I thought until I read this. He travels the world, moves to a new country every few months, and is free to do whatever he wants. What a pity then that his travel memoir My Exile Lifestyle is such a crushing disappointment. A shallow book about a shallow man who travels the world getting into shallow encounters with shallow people — mostly shallow sex with clueless groupies and shallow drug use with clueless hipsters — in places ...more
Bill
Jun 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
At times I really enjoyed this this haphazard attempt at a memoir cum travel journal that is in reality a haphazard collection of blog posts, notes, brief observations, diary entries and other shallow reminiscing.
There is plenty of promise and no doubt Colin is leading a life that is of interest. However I was constantly left wanting more than his snippets of stories that hook you in and leave you left hanging, wanting to know more.
Efforts to proceed in a linear manner are are largely ignored.
Denise Wy
Sep 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspirational
I actually liked this book. It's not really a guide book that tells us how to live like a nomad, it's more of a collection of personal essays, but I still learned a lot.
Lorna
Feb 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: memoir
I highly recommend his podcast "Let's Know Things" but I couldn't make it through this.
Jaroslav Tuček
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Don't let the title and description fool you. The book contains very little discussion on long term travel, serial entrepreneurship or minimalism. It's a collection of (very) short stories, frequently without continuity, of Colin partying and chasing women over four continents. Calling the book My International Playboy Lifestyle would be more honest. The tone is pretentious with the author being thoroughly persuaded about his awesomeness and all attempts at in-depth meditations shallow, despite ...more
Stephen Heiner
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel
As I looked through the reviews they seemed to be either 2 stars (he sucks, is egotistical, etc.) or 5 stars (inspiring, wow, cool). I agree mostly with the 5 star people. I think with a bit more effort at a coherent journey this could be 5 stars. But, it's definitely at least 4 stars, for some simple reasons.

This collection of short stories is in a way, a peek inside Colin's life. He does not have stability in it, in any way that most of us are used to. Because of that sometimes impressions
Kevin Welch
Jan 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
I found the book to be shallow and self-absorbed. He also comes across as if he's trying too hard to be a good writer. Quite a few jokes were weaved into the stories, yet I didn't even laugh/smirk once.

However, I still enjoyed reading about past experiences that shaped who he is, and found his unusual lifestyle to be an interesting and jealousy inducing one. Two stars.
Kevin Hughes
Aug 02, 2011 rated it did not like it
I'm putting this in "read" because it doesn't belong in to-read or currently-reading.

Colin is a smart kid who is excited about some ideas that I think are exciting. But he sucks at writing. I did not finish his book.
Robby
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
A journal where I was hoping for an instructional based on experience. That's fine but then there's the bad editing. I don't mean to undermine his lifestyle. That kicks butt and I want that!
Ania
Jun 12, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Özlem Bulut
Nov 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoy Colin's blog, podcast and later books a lot but I have to say I am disappointed with this one. It seems like at the time he was not properly internalizing all the valuable experiences and perspectives his lifestyle grants him. It feels a bit shallow. I enjoyed his other travel memoirs Iceland, India, Interstate and Come Back Frayed which felt like written by a much more mature person even though there are not many years between the books. You can also clearly see how his writing improved ...more
Fatema Al Darii
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it
As someone who has travel-oriented goals Colin's philosophy on travel and his lifestyle strike a cord with me. Adapting his lifestyle sounds like a dream for many who don't understand or fully comprehend the inevitable trade-offs that comes along with it. Although he was somewhat vague I think he did a fair job on illustrating his advice and reality of travel through his personal experiences. You do have to keep in mind that it's a short memoir about his lifestyle - it is not a guide. Overall, ...more
Jan
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'd recommend this book to anyone interested in digital nomads and related topics like lifestyle design and travel. The book is less a linear autobiography than a series of autobiographical episodes interspersed with travel anecdotes and more reflective essays about relationships and work. Through his radical example, Colin showcases the cool possibilities that exist for a young, independent creative in our current world. I found the writing could be a bit overwrought at times, but overall the ...more
Kevin McKinlay
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
If you take this book for what it is; it is not a travel guide or how-to. It is a glimpse into the perspective of someone who has encountered the quagmire of what to do with their life and where to derive their happiness/idea of success. Colin takes the path less travelled and allows us to share in the experience through a myriad of different writing forms. The prose come across genuine and thoughts feel authentic.
christopher hoye
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting Read!

I enjoyed this book. It made me understand the difference between a tourist and a traveler. So many places in this world I have visited. It’s time to return as a traveler and see my old friends again for the very first time.

I will recommend this book to my friends.
Shari ODonnell
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio-books
Very boring and shallow. I chalk this up to his age when written. I expected more because his current writings, podcasts are much more interesting.
Mark
Aug 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommended by The Minimalists, but not me. Mildly entertaining - a couple of insights - but mostly felt like him bragging about his interactions with members of the opposite sex. The cover should have tipped me off.
Tom
Colin definitely has a very interesting lifestyle, but he isn't a very strong writer. He comes across as incredibly full of himself, which might be a good quality in an entrepreneur, but isn't a good quality for a author.

He didn't really go in-depth at any point, and the book just seemed like he threw 30 blog posts together and called it a day. Minimalism, entrepreneurism, and travel are three things I'm really interested, so it was annoying that he spent so little time actually discussing
Stephen
May 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Writing style shows a certain naivety in Colin. Not a bad thing in itself but I did not make it through to the end of the book. I feel disappointed that he wasn't able to keep me engaged for the whole journey ... his ideas and way if life are interesting.
Thibault Lemaitre
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: travel, non-fiction
Colin's story is one of the most inspiring things I've come across in recent years. I just want to share his experience as much as I can: I feel compelled to let people around me know about him and his experience/experiment!
Ana
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
I'm giving this book 2 stars because:

1. The author is so damn cute
2. I like his style of living

But I don't like his style of writing so much...

Ok, maybe I will give another star for the effort.

I'm sure that with more practice, he'll eventually nail it
Carly
Jan 27, 2016 rated it liked it
He is a young, attractive, male minimalist so I was all heart eyes emoji, but his personality is so egotistical and off-putting that I couldn't deal.
Liz Thottan
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health
Precious!
LaTonya
I tried to finish it. Nope.
Jasper
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Everything That Remains: A Memoir by the Minimalists
  • Minimalism: Live a Meaningful Life
  • Minimalism: Essential Essays
  • The Story of Babar (Babar, #1)
  • No Place to Hide: Edward Snowden, the NSA, and the U.S. Surveillance State
  • ECONned: How Unenlightened Self Interest Undermined Democracy and Corrupted Capitalism
  • FKA USA
  • Simplify: 7 Guiding Principles to Help Anyone Declutter Their Home and Life
  • Who We Are and How We Got Here: Ancient DNA and the New Science of the Human Past
  • AWOL on the Appalachian Trail
  • The Mouse and the Motorcycle (Ralph S. Mouse, #1)
  • Daemon (Daemon, #1)
  • How to Hide an Empire: A History of the Greater United States
  • The Signal and the Noise: Why So Many Predictions Fail - But Some Don't
  • Boomerang: Travels in the New Third World
  • Your Money or Your Life
  • North: Finding My Way While Running the Appalachian Trail
  • County: Life, Death and Politics at Chicago's Public Hospital
“You sell off the kingdom piece by piece and trade it for a horse that will take you anywhere.” 22 likes