Start by marking “Five Dysfunctions of a Team Video Presentation” as Want to Read:
Five Dysfunctions of a Team Video Presentation

Five Dysfunctions of a Team Video Presentation

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  52,652 Ratings  ·  2,486 Reviews
In The Five Dysfunctions of a Team Patrick Lencioni once again offers a leadership fable that is as enthralling and instructive as his first two best-selling books, The Five Temptations of a CEO and The Four Obsessions of an Extraordinary Executive. This time, he turns his keen intellect and storytelling power to the fascinating, complex world of teams.

Kathryn Petersen, D
VHS Tape, 4 pages
Published July 18th 2006 by Pfeiffer & Company (first published September 28th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Five Dysfunctions of a Team Video Presentation, please sign up.
Catherine Tackett The author of this book does not mean it to be weak or vulnerable in that sense. In this context, he means that all parties drop walls that we put up…moreThe author of this book does not mean it to be weak or vulnerable in that sense. In this context, he means that all parties drop walls that we put up to keep ourselves to appear stronger than the next individual. Basically, leveling the field to create equals instead of fostering a competitive environment. This includes the "leader". It's not about making others feel sorry for one another but seeing that each of us have strengths and weaknesses that can contribute to the team environment. This helps drop walls in order to proceed forward with honest problem-solving and not defensive or evasive behavior. (less)

Neil
Dec 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been in corporate America for just under 4 years now. In my time, I've never really bought into the majority of management strategies I've seen because well, they blatantly do not work; and if they do, its at an absurd cost of employee retention, dissatisfaction and needless overwork.

Passive aggressiveness, no accountability, scared of conflict... I see it too often, and I'm constantly frustrated by it. And just when I thought I was alone, I read this book and was completely blown away. Eve
Jacob
Mar 09, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Bear with me. I am highly skeptical of models as methods versus tools (I will explain later) and of corporate literature. With that bias, this book would have been lucky to get three stars from me. Please keep that in mind.

What I mean by a model as a method versus a tool, is that when a model is presented to help people try and understand how something functions I have no problem with it. Meyers-Briggs personality test is a great example. Fun to take and compare with people and get an idea of wh
Daniel Silvert
Jul 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five Dysfunctions of a Team
As a consultant who has worked with hundreds of teams in organizations large and small, I can attest that model outlined in “The Five Dysfunctions of a Team” is both accurate in it’s root diagnosis of team dysfunctionalism, and is as pervasive as human nature itself. As with all of Lencioni’s books, he opens with a fable and concludes with the model that is the basis for the story’s solution. In the fable, a new CEO is confronted with a dysfunctional executive team and
Amanda NEVER MANDY
This is another one of my “have to” and not “want to” reads. I would never even consider reading one of these types of books for fun, they are not my style at all. The information they contain is usually common sense stuff that people are aware of but unwilling or unable to incorporate into their day-to-day work lives. Most jobs are group based versus individual and even if you are in the mindset to make whatever changes that books like this deem necessary, it doesn’t mean everyone else you work ...more
المدرب محمد الملا
Simply, this book is "Must read books" list, I liked the story way to write the book, and the simple make Sense model of the five dysfunctions of teams

I already recommended this books to my friends, it's must read for every one

I will recommend that the reader should be ware of "Tuckman's stages of group development" which will put this book in the right context
Nikki
Dec 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is a one of the best business novels out there. I love the idea of introducing concepts through a storyline of a fictional organization. The only thing better would be if it were based on actual events that was told in story form.

Kathryn is a CEO who takes over a company struggling with its market share and profit. She has the courage to attack the difficult issues rarely losing her composure and delivers criticism in a way that it mostly encourages discussion and positive conflict. I canno
Stephanie
How lovely if things were actually this simple.
jack
forced to read this one for work. did some awful group work with it also. really not that helpful in a bullshit retail situation.
Marleigh
First line: "Only one person thought Kathryn was the right choice to become CEO of DecisionTech, Inc.

Summary: Lencioni identifies five problems with executive teams, which he presents through a story (fable) and then analyzes.

Spoilers! In as much as reference books can have spoilers.

The 5 dysfunctions are:
1. Absence of trust. Where trust is comfort with showing vulnerability and admitting mistakes to teammates.
2. Fear of conflict. Teams need to be able to have passionate debate and walk away
Vam Norrison
Feb 26, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm relatively new to the corporate world and observe heavy reliance on inane hierarchical-pyramid models and very linear "cycles" designed to describe organizations, relationships, goals, processes, progress and, ultimately, success. 'Five Dysfunctions' is a great example. While I'd love to rip into this book's awkward narrative structure, cartoonish characters, and childish melodrama, I'm certain many already have. If this book is to be considered a fable, it is only for its oversimplification ...more
Robert Chapman
Sep 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
I read this book 10 years ago when it was first released. Back then I was at a point in my career where the lessons of this book were not really applicable to my circumstances. I decided to give it another read as I remembered it to be a good book and since its release it has also gained a reputation as one of the better books on the topics of Leadership and Organizational Development.

The book tells a story to illustrate the dysfunctions using the setting of an executive team in a fictitious com
Tania Lukinyuk
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Skeptical business book reader, I had zero expectations from this book. I only took it because it was less than 150 pages and was recommended by two people whose opinion I respected.

I am happy to admit that I was wrong. The book is written as a story of new leader coming to an IT company with poorly acting management team. The way she managed her new team members - very different, often contradicting and conflicting with each other or working in their silos - is great learning process on effect
Sergey Morovshik
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top
Отличная книга, просто и понятно описан ситуация, инструменты, методы простейшей диагностики команды. Все описанное в книге отзывается мне на 100% и может я бы добавил бы ещё кое-что... В общем, я прочитав понял почему многие предприниматели и лидеры ставят эту книгу в топ-10 к обязательному прочтению менеджерами. Я тоже беру книгу в топ-10.
Matthew Morrison
Mar 19, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Was chosen for a work thing, then we all realized that it didn't apply to our group, because we actually aren't dysfunctional at all, so we scrapped our plan to discuss it and went skiing instead!
That being said, I did learn some very valuable lessons...ok, I didn't...but I did read it, at least. For the good of the team.
Sarina
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Sarina by: My 2nd eldest sis and her husband
Certainly a guide most of us are in dire need of or everyone should at least read once. It's necessary for teams or groups not just in the corporate world, but I think in all areas, even in university or school level.
The translation by Farjana Mobin, and Onnorokom Prokashoni was just amazing.
It's like I have become a part of Katheryn's team myself.

Hats off to the translating team for bringing such an important book to the attention of the people of this country and hats off to the author for w
Chad Warner
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: team leaders
Recommended to Chad by: Traction
Shelves: business, non-fiction
This identifies the causes of dysfunction in a team, and tells how to avoid them. It's astute, applicable guidance on improving a team's performance by improving behavior. The first part is a fable, and the second part is an explanation of the concepts.

It starts by saying that teamwork, more than products, tech, etc., make a company successful. Teamwork disintegrates if even one of the 5 dysfunctions is present. Teams succeed because they're exceedingly human. By acknowledging imperfections, the
Isaac Yuen
Sep 05, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Usually books about leadership, teamwork, and organizational culture bore me to death, but this one is different; I finished it in around two hours, and it was an interesting read all the way through. As the description notes, Lencioni crafts a fictional but realistic story around a high-tech Silicon Valley startup in crisis: although they have better technology, expertise, and initial investments, in recent months they have been rapidly ceding their advantage to competitors. A new CEO renowned ...more
Jim B
3 stars means "liked it." This book contains a lot of wisdom, some of which is counter-intuitive for some people who've never worked on a positive team. For example, the first dysfunction -- lack of trust -- is hindered by the need to be invincible and helped when people learn to be vulnerable, to "trust that their peers' intentions are good and there is no reason to be protective or careful around the group." Some people will read those words and think that there is no group of people where the ...more
Laura Frey (Reading in Bed)
This is the best business book I've read, which is to say, it wasn't complete garbage.
Rebecca
Dec 11, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rebecca by: Merrie
Shelves: nonfiction, business
This was helpful, I think. I liked the suggestions for nonintrusive team-building exercises re personal histories and work contributions (below). If you don't have time to read this, the 5 dysfunctions are:
(1) absence of trust (manifests as invulnerability),
(2) fear of conflict (manifests as artificial harmony),
(3) lack of commitment (manifests as ambiguity),
(4) avoidance of accountability (manifests as low standards),
(5) inattention to results (manifests as status and ego).

Personal history
Jamie
Feb 19, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm so sad that this is the first book I've finished in 2012. It was chosen for a book study at school. It's an easy read, and has some very good points and good information for team building. But, books like this are just annoying to me. I'm not a fan of fables. It feels condescending. They just aren't my thing.

Kathryn takes over as CEO of a software company and works to rebuild the leadership team of vice-presidents. She ruffles feathers, but ultimately prevails in building a cohesive, goal-or
Jeff Yoak
I really enjoyed this little book. It's been on my list for a while, and got moved to the front of the list as we're going to discuss it at a management retreat next month. I can see why it is a classic. It covers several problems in team dynamic that resonate with things we're already discussing. It is immediately on-topic and actionable.
Rita
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"In the context of building a team, trust is the confidence among team members that their peers' intentions are good, and that there is no reason to be protective or careful around the group. In essence, teammates must get comfortable being vulnerable with one another."

This.
Linda Vituma
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Grāmata darbam - izlasi; izdari; paskaties, kas izdevās. Lasi atkal, dari atkal un tā līdz vēlamajam rezultātam.
Mona_97_
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
من الجدير ان يتسأل المرء الذي يعيش في مجتمع يعتمد بدرجة اولى على العمل الجماعي ماسبب فشلنا على رغم المهارات و الطاقة الهائلة التي يحظى بها الفريق! يسعى الكاتب لتوضيح خمس عوامل تؤدي لخلل العمل الجماعي من ثم يطرح بعض الحلول الفعالة.. كتاب مفيد جدًا لمن يعمل في فرق سواء علميًّا او عمليًا او حياتيًا.
thethousanderclub
I've been hesitant to read business-oriented books in the past. I've laid out my reasons why in a separate blog post. When I was invited to participate in a book club at work and read and discuss the business book The Five Dysfunctions of a Team I was thrilled to participate, but my excitement was more in being able to interact with other leaders and not as much regarding the book itself. Happily, I found some value in the book and would be willing to recommend it to the others.

The first red fla
Patricia Hamill
This is a story about a team of executives who are suffering from five dysfunctions that have pretty much crippled them. As repeated a few times in the book, they should be doing great. They have more money, a better product and more promise than their competitors, but they are failing. The heroine is Kathryn, the new CEO brought in to turn them and the company around.

Told as a story, this is a pretty good method of teaching what the dysfunctions are while giving examples of what they look like
Loy Machedo

What the book is about?
1. A fictional tale of the corporate personality & process challenges people face on a day-to-day basis.
2. Written in a clear, easy-to-understand manner with each character being portrayed in a manner that anyone can relate to.
3. Divided into two parts - the first part being attributed to the fictional story and the second part being dedicated to the non-fictional and at times academic style of teaching and preaching.
4. A call-to-action on the 5 dysfunctions of a team
2. Fear of conflict
3. Lack of commitment
4. Avoidance of accountability
5. Inattention to result

The story is little bit strange to me as the recruit or promotion of a senior management seems to be so open and become a company decision instead of teh CEO make it final. It is not important for the theme of this book, just make me feel strange when reading this section. Is that cultural difference I found?

However, I woul
Paul,
Dec 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Aaron Giesler
Good book ... well, good ideas anyway. Just like I like the idea of a business novel/fable. I've just yet to see one that is written by a real writer with ... you know ... characters and action and stuff. Still, it's more interesting than the usual business book.

What sets this book apart is not the sophistication of its ideas. It's not the clarity of the presentation or the detail of its implementation. Each idea on its own is commonsensical. But, the combination of ideas, in particular, the com
BECOMING A LEADER 1 1 Oct 12, 2017 03:50PM
Kathryn Predetermines who is Necessary on the Executive Team 1 7 Oct 04, 2017 10:19AM
Houston Christian...: Pre-Reading Discussion Starter 3 6 Aug 17, 2017 03:17AM
Analysis 3 38 Feb 22, 2017 08:52AM
Analysis_fear of conflict 1 5 Feb 19, 2017 08:09PM
Analysis 1 12 Sep 14, 2015 05:09PM
  • Axiom: Powerful Leadership Proverbs
  • Good to Great and the Social Sectors: A Monograph to Accompany Good to Great
  • The Wisdom of Teams: Creating the High-Performance Organization
  • StandOut: The Groundbreaking New Strengths Assessment from the Leader of the Strengths Revolution
  • The Oz Principle: Getting Results Through Individual and Organizational Accountability
  • Primal Leadership: Realizing the Power of Emotional Intelligence
  • Making Vision Stick
  • The Contrarian's Guide to Leadership
  • Crucial Confrontations: Tools for Resolving Broken Promises, Violated Expectations, and Bad Behavior
  • The Leadership Challenge
  • Leadership Is an Art
  • Leading Change
  • The Leadership Moment: Nine True Stories of Triumph and Disaster and Their Lessons for Us All
  • It's Your Ship: Management Techniques from the Best Damn Ship in the Navy
  • Resonant Leadership: Renewing Yourself and Connecting with Others Through Mindfulness, Hope and Compassion
  • On Becoming a Leader
  • Mastering the Rockefeller Habits: What You Must Do to Increase the Value of Your Growing Firm
  • Strengths Based Leadership: Great Leaders, Teams, and Why People Follow: A Landmark Study of Great Leaders, Teams, and the Reasons Why We Follow
Patrick Lencioni is a New York Times best-selling author, speaker, consultant and founder and president of The Table Group, a firm dedicated to helping organizations become healthy. Lencioni’s ideas around leadership, teamwork and employee engagement have impacted organizations around the globe. His books have sold nearly three million copies worldwide.

When Lencioni is not writing, he consults to
More about Patrick Lencioni

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • No God But God: The Origins, Evolution and Future of Islam
  • Seabiscuit: An American Legend
    $12.99 $1.99
“Trust is knowing that when a team member does push you, they're doing it because they care about the team.” 128 likes
“Remember teamwork begins by building trust. And the only way to do that is to overcome our need for invulnerability.” 82 likes