Start by marking “100 Years of American Newspaper Comics” as Want to Read:
100 Years of American Newspaper Comics

100 Years of American Newspaper Comics

Copiously illustrated, comprehensive encyclopedia of all the great daily and Sunday newspaper comics and their creators. This spectacular volume, edited by a highly respected international authority, presents the evolution and history of the comics and features all of America's favorite strips: Blondie, Peanuts, Prince Valiant, Dick Tracy, Beetle Bailey, and many more. 64 ...more
Published April 23rd 1996 by Gramercy

To ask other readers questions about 100 Years of American Newspaper Comics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 100 Years of American Newspaper Comics

Start your review of 100 Years of American Newspaper Comics
Hákon Gunnarsson
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really like this book. I've had it for years, and I take it out ever so often to read because I think newspaper comics are an interesting art form. It is a very thorough look into the American newspaper comics.

It has a short history of the form, but most of the book is taken up by entries on each comic. My main complaint is that it might have had more illustrations, maybe one for each comic, but of course that would have meant the book would have been somewhat longer.

The other problem is
Ann Otto
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
What were your parents and grandparents reading for entertainment as they grew up? What was behind the creation of and newspaper politics of those comics that you loved reading and still do? This book takes us to 1996 and has many colorful examples from the early 1900s. Interesting history and visuals around American culture.
KennyO
Apr 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: cartoons
After dropping out of work, earning a technical degree then returning to the workaday world, I needed to decompress my left brain. I took a class in cartooning where my atrophied right brain was alerted to its existence. Even better, a few classmates were published cartoonists! One exercise was to observe the styles of our work and to find where we fit in the past century of published cartoons. This was not the book we referred to in class but it is one that three of us bought for our home ...more
Magnús
Aug 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Ágæt yfirsýn yfir skrípamyndir amerískra dagblaða síðustu 100 árin eða svo. Helsti gallinn við bókina er að það vantar fleiri góðar myndir og dæmi um húmorinn í myndasögunum. Annars er helstu seríunum gerð góð skil í texta, en eins og áður sagði vantar aðeins upp á myndræna þáttinn.
Lora
Nov 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: art-table-book
Great sampler and history. Fun for the whole family. The only problem was I wanted to keep reading the next installment of many comics!
Mary