Start by marking “Sinnerman (Warder #4)” as Want to Read:
Sinnerman (Warder #4)

Sinnerman (Warders #4)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  1,569 Ratings  ·  111 Reviews
As a warder, Jackson Tybalt is one of the good guys until he sees the man he loves kissing another. Betrayed and angry, Jackson tempts danger and death, ignoring the pleas of other warders to be careful. It’s a vile mood in which to start a romance, but that doesn’t stop the kyrie Raphael, who more than anything wants Jackson for his very own.

Jackson doesn’t want a hearth
Published (first published June 16th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Sinnerman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sinnerman

Jennifer☠Pher☠
Jun 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
I wasn't sure about this one at first but then I realized I loved it anyway.

I will admit to being really confused by what I thought the relationship would be even though it seemed it wasn't and well, that was a little uncomfortable...at first.

Then well, then it was what I thought, what I wanted and what I have loved about this series and I just smiled and was and am still happy.

I do wish that (view spoiler)
Amy Lane
Jun 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the amusement park ride that Mary Calmes takes you on--you know there's going to be parts when you scream, parts when you squeal, and parts when you laugh. You know your stomach's going to drop and you're going to be a little bit afraid, but then at the end, it will all come out okay--and that's why you sign o for a Mary Calmes ride, and that's why she always delivers.

In Sinnerman, she gives us perhaps her most flawed hero. Jackson is a warder who has lost his hearth, and although we don
Beatrice
Jun 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure about the quality of this review, so this serves as a fair warning to all - my review might contain small servings of spoilers here and there.

I read Heart in Hand and Sinnerman back-to-back and it must be quite obvious that I prefer one over the other. That is not to say that I have problems with Leith and Simon. However, I just found Jackson and Raphael's story much more powerful and meaningful. This book simply isn't about the power of love; it's about the power of love and the re
Serena Yates
Jun 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay
What a series this is turning out to be! The one thing I hadn’t expected is for one of the pairs to break up – yet, when I read the blurb for this book it became clear that the warder Jackson would lose his hearth. What a traumatic experience, and one which normally doesn’t end well at all, or so we are told. With the strength of the bond seen between warder and hearth in the first three books, it surprised me it was even possible.

Jackson, as the warder, tries to stay strong. The problem is that
Elaine White
Review will be included in a full Volume review of Warders: Volume 2.

~

This was one of my favourite stories in this series so far.

I loved Jackson and how he embraced the sweeping darkness and the meltdown from Frank's cheating. He didn't let his Warder brothers try to tell him that he couldn't be angry or hurt, though I was surprised that the whole 'cheating boyfriend' theme was being revisited again. This is the third story where it plays a big part in the overall story arc.
I was intrigued by Ha
S.K.
Jun 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-romance, yeah-baby
Goddamn, I loved this book!!! I adored Jackson from the beginning and finding out in the book before that Raph did too made my mouth water for this book. And Mary Calmes did not disappoint. There was passion, trauma, emotions - God, this book had just about everything I look for in a keeper.

I always feel guilty at how quickly I devour any Mary Calmes book in case I miss anything, but I make myself feel better by reading and re-reading it several times just to be sure I pick up all of the nuance
Amanda
May 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this might be my favorite of the Warder series so far. :D
Donna
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 00-m-m-read
WOW... it would appear that Raphael is not only very good at demon hunting but also, calming cranky babies and understanding broken hearted Warders! Years ago, I read Nexus because it was FREE and caught my eye... and I fell in love with this series (one of the few times I have read a book in a series out of order) and found a wonderful new author to read!

Jackson is having a bad day... week... month? Heck, his hearth dumps him for another (richer) man and leaves Jackson to fend for himself and
Caroline Brand
REVIEWED FOR PRISM BOOK ALLIANCE

Story 4 Stars
Narration 3 Stars

Jackson has loved and lost his hearth and that loss is killing him. His behaviour is out of control and his sentinel and the other warders are worried. The last person in the world you would expect Jackson to turn to or talk to would be Raphael but that’s what happens. It’s not really a friendship to begin with but more of a truce. Jackson has the most reason out of all the warders to dislike and not trust Raphael who is a Kyrie but s
Elena
Jun 20, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nothing in this book makes me want to check out the others in this series. Instead of giving a clear picture of the main characters, the author concentrated on mentioning as many characters from previous installments as possible. After finishing this book I still don't know who Jackson and Raphael are or why they're attracted to each other. The pacing is weird. Sluggish and full of infodumps in some places, sped up by time jumps that left me scratching my head as to what happened in the meantime ...more
Jane A
Dec 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, demons
This is one of those stories that start up in a really bad storm and by the end of the book the sun is shining really brightly. I was glad that Jackson (and the other warders) was finally able to see that Raph was not bad at all. I loved how Raph forced Jackson to admit to himself that he deserved way better than to be treated the way he had been by his supposed Hearth. This series is so good that I don't want to start the next book because that means I am closer to the end. I'll wait a bit for ...more
Mandapanda
Recommended by Nikki for the QGB3 challenge. 2.5 stars. Very strange finale to the Warder series. A relationship that had lots of potential for conflict, growth and sensuality was barely touched on in this story. I felt like whole pages or chapters were missing. I'm not sure what the author was thinking when she wrote this? Did she want to move away from romance into the urban fantasy genre?? Disappointing!
Tj
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
A Warder may protect the city he serves and kill demons and things that go bump in the night but some of life's lessons still holds true for them as well.

1. You have to like yourself & believe that you are worthy of love before you can let others into your life.

2. If you are truly lucky, you can find love again after your heart has been bruised.
Mouse
Jun 23, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly? I don’t get this series. I don’t get the point of this book. It was 173 pages and the two characters aren’t on the page together (not counting a flashback) until page 100. THEN there is absolutely no relationship building. NONE. The entire book happens off-stage. What, then, was the book about? Your guess is as good as mine.

Not happy.
Chris
May 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good paranormal m/m romance about a warder who's not doing very well at all - he's been taking too many chances ever since his hearth left him for another man. At least fighting with that pesky not-quite-a-demon's been keeping things interesting...
Charming
Feb 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Raphael is probably my favorite character in this series. Mysterious and a bit scary. Jackson is kind of emo and flails around, but Raphael wants him so I have to like him too.
maha
20170105
Josephine
Although I enjoyed the book for the most part, I found the writing to be confusing to follow at times, and I struggled to keep track of who was talking to whom and which characters were in a relationship with each other. The fact that I jumped straight to the fourth book in the series probably played a role in my confusion, so while some series books can be read out of order or standalone, I don't think this is one of them.
Shelby
Sep 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked Raphael, but wasn't crazy over Jackson, so I didn't enjoy this one as much as the previous ones.
Phaney
Apr 30, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
Mixed feelings. There were high points and low points. Let’s begin with a few general complaints.

The timeline is very iffy. In all of the volumes Christmas is coming up. And yet months and months pass while other things are referred to as though they just happened. And the final volume of the series seems to be set at Christmas which, unless it’s the next year’s, can never work out.

For example, Phoebe was seven months pregnant at the beginning of the series. Jackson just now said it was almost f
Elisa Rolle
This is book 4 in the series and I have to admit I skipped book 2 and 3, but simply since there are too many book out there to read. This series is a mix of paranormal or comedy, even if dealing with demons and hunters, it has a light tone, mostly due to the “cute” behaviours of the “hearts”. An heart is the mate of a warder, a warder is someone who protects human from demons. A warder is gay and his heart is everything to him, lover, friend, housekeeper and counsellor, so you can understand to ...more
Sabrina (Soter) Sally
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romanzi-m-m
"Quell’uomo aveva il mio odore, come casa nostra, come il nostro letto, come noi. Inclinai la testa indietro, per trattenere le lacrime. Non avrei mai avuto un altro focolare, perché lui non poteva esserlo. Sarebbe stato di più, perché eravamo uguali."

Siamo più sulle 3 stelline e mezzo ma Raphael, il nostro adorabile Kyrie, vale da solo una stellina in più! <3 Nei volumi precedenti avevamo fatto la conoscenza del kyrie cacciatore di demoni, la cui strada si era incrociata con i nostri guardia
Asynia
Let me start by telling you that I love Raphael! He’s a kyrie, not a demon, something that is very important to him that everyone gets. Demons are born in Hell and kyries are born in Purgatory. Big difference! As a kyrie, Raph is a bounty hunter who hunts demons. He has no family, no friends, no home, but he needs someone to ground him, to be claimed by his One True Love. If not, he’ll eventually turn into a demon himself.

Jackson is a Warder, a human whose destiny it is to hunt demons to keep th
Letture Sale&Pepe
Ho letto questo libro due volte. La prima volta mi sono detta che mi aveva un po’ deluso ma non ero stata attenta, l’avevo letto di fretta e così ho deciso di riprenderlo in mano e dedicare anche a questo quarto capitolo della serie l’attenzione che meritava. E ho scoperto che invece è molto di più di quello che mi era parso all’inizio.
Protagonista è Jackson, uno dei Guardiani che insieme a Ryan, Malic, Marcus e Leith combattono contro i demoni. Lo fa con passione e devozione e sa che quando tor
Amarilli Settantatre
Jan 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay-romance
da www.sognipensieriparole.com

Dopo le vicende di Rindhal (e il Focolare Julian), Malic (e Dylan), Leith (e Simon), eccoci finalmente al guardiano Jackson Tybalt.

Jackson deve affrontare quella che per gli umani è un’esperienza molto comune, ovvero il fatto di essere tradito e lasciato dal suo ragazzo-Focolare. Un po’ se l’è cercata, perché da tempo la relazione scricchiolava ma lui non ha fatto molto per correre ai ripari. In ogni caso, la ferità è aperta e gli brucia parecchio, e lui sfoga la su
Becky Condit
May 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trish reviews Sinnerman by Mary Calmes

REVIEW: Jackson Tybalt is a Warder-one of an elite group of warriors who patrol the night protecting humans from the demons that attack them. Feeling bitter,and betrayed after finding the man he loves in the arms of another man, he ignores the pleas of the other warders to be careful, throwing himself into dangerous and deadly situations. Kyrie Raphael has wanted to claim Jackson as his own for months, but Jackson does
Stephanie
Liza Kay
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just...wow. This part of the series is the best one so far in my opinion. The book broke my heart and then slowly - very slowly! - knitted it back together.

What Jackson experiences is cruel. We all know how much a bad breakup hurts, how it rips out our heart and leaves you with nothing. And for a paranormal like Jackson, who desperately needs his hearth, it must be even more devastating.
And in this self-destructive state of mind, he meets Rafael.
I couldn't figure him out at first. He was neith
Teresa
****Reviewed for Prism Book Alliance®****

I reviewed this series together. For GoodReads, I am breaking out each stories individual commentary.

Sinnerman, 3.5 Stars
This one taught me I should always have faith in Mary Calmes making everything alright in the end. That being said, Raphael was such a jerk for much of it that even though the reason was revealed, I had a hard time liking him and totally believing in the relationship. Jackson was tremendously messed up by his hearth and yet it was appar
L-D
3.5 stars. Jackson Tybalt just caught his hearth cheating. OOhhh cheating makes me angry! I always thought a hearth was like a mate - once you mated, you don't fool around. But it seems like a hearth is more like a real boyfriend/girlfriend. Just because a warder has found their hearth, doesn't mean the relationship is automatic. Clearly the warder and his hearth still need to work at things. I kind of like this aspect of the warder/hearth relationship. Not that I condone Franklin's cheating, bu ...more
  • Body Magic (Triad #2)
  • Litha's Constant Whim (Green's Hill, #1)
  • Heartsong (Fae, #2)
  • Covenant in Blood (Partnership in Blood, #2)
  • Paul's Dream (Touching Fire, #1)
  • Criss Cross (PsyCop, #2)
  • Hell Cop
  • With a Kiss
  • A Boy and His Dragon (Beings in Love #2)
  • A Brush of Wings
  • Rhapsody for Piano and Ghost
Mary Calmes believes in romance, happily ever afters, and the faith it takes for her characters to get there. She bleeds coffee, thinks chocolate should be its own food group, and currently lives in Kentucky with a five-pound furry ninja that protects her from baby birds, spiders and the neighbor’s dogs. To stay up to date on her ponderings and pandemonium (as well as the adventures of the ninja) ...more
More about Mary Calmes...

Warders (6 books)
  • His Hearth (Warder #1)
  • Tooth & Nail (Warder #2)
  • Heart in Hand (Warder #3)
  • Nexus (Warder #5)
  • Cherish Your Name (Warder, #6)