Start by marking “Marriage Is Murder” as Want to Read:
Marriage Is Murder

Marriage Is Murder (Jenny Cain #4)

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  363 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Jenny Cain and police detective Geof Bushfield already had pre-nuptial jitters. Then a sudden wave of domestic violence rocked placid Port Frederick - in just two weeks, the husbands of three battered wives were shot dead. Homicide was all too familiar to Geof, but this was enough to make him want to quit the force. Except that none of the wives confessed - and none of the ...more
Published May 17th 2011 by Pocket Books (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Marriage Is Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marriage Is Murder

Alice
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, this was a good story. In the Kindle version, there were so many typos, incorrect use of words (shed for she'd, etc.) and inserted " where they didn't belong that I was losing track of the story with my irritation at the poor editing. I've read other Kindle books by the same author without this problem.
Shawn
May 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very fast-paced who done it, fourth in the series which I am reading through this year. Likeable main characters, not perfect or infallible. The setting is in New England in a very small port town......which becomes a "character" too. I'm a sucker for cozy mysteries with a interesting female lead.😉
Christie
Jul 08, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dull. No mystery to most of the book.
Steven
Jul 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sorta depressing story revolving around unhappy marriages.
Luz  C. Johnson
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a sucker for Nancy Pickard's mystery stories. Jenny Cain is exceptional, refreshing and unexpected.

The title itself “Marriage is Murder” was a sarcastic invitation. Read me! Of course, this one is when Jennifer finally ties the knot with Geof, the cop, but a string of murdered married people puts some doubt in the soon to be married couple. This mystery was hard to crack, especially since the author discloses vital information toward the end, but the reader doesn’t feel betrayed, since Jenn
Lbaker
I re-read this book by accident - it wasn't until I was half way through that I remembered that I had read it before. Not worth re-reading, but I was half way there, so I finished, although by then I remembered who "dunnit". Did not find it a particularly fair murder - the main clues weren't disclosed until the very end.
Margaret
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good. But hard to read. There is a mystery, and the mystery is solved, and has somewhat of a surprise twist, but the main theme was the thorny problem of domestic violence. Lots of violence, lots of involved couples. Not the kind of light cozy I prefer for bedtime reading, but worth reading all the same.
George
Jan 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#4 in the Jenny Cain mystery series. Jenny is the CEO of a charitable foundation in fictional small town Port Frederick, Mass. She is about to marry her boyfriend who is a police detective. In the two weeks leading to their marriage, the town is hit with a series domestic violence cases in which absive husbands are being murdered. Jenny is drawn into the cases as her boyfriend investigates.
Kimberly
Nice little mystery - was a great paperback read at the beach. Easy to pick up and put down. Didn't realize it was so old - would have liked to read the others in the series, but not sure my library will have them. I probably picked this one up at a library sale a few years ago.
Carol
Oct 20, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was okay, not a favorite. Mostly about abusive marriages with a twist at the end, that was a surprise.
Kwoomac
Somewhat unbelievable tale of Jenny Cain, who gets wrapped up in cop boyfriend's cases. Shades of "Murder She Wrote"
Danielle
Now that I know this is book #4 in a series, I need to backtrack to read the others. Quick, intriguing mysteries. I pictured Kyra Sedgwick as Jenny Cain as I read this book.
Julie H.
Jul 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A little darker than the previous three in the series, this one showed that Pickard is a serious mystery writer (pun intended).
Nancy
Sep 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a nice, easy, fast read...a real relief after the 500 page Gothic tome I just finished!
Robin Fincher
Scott
Jan 20, 2014
Robb Landon
Feb 11, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lacking plot. Mostly descriptions of situations. Would not recommend.
Keepinstitches
Jun 30, 2016
Libby
Jun 13, 2014
Theresa
Oct 28, 2016
  • Damsels in Distress (Claire Malloy, #16)
  • The Chelsea Girl Murders (Robin Hudson, #5)
  • Design For Murder (Death On Demand, #2)
  • How I Spent My Summer Vacation (Amanda Pepper, #5)
  • Zombies of the Gene Pool (Jay Omega, #2)
  • A Farewell to Yarns (Jane Jeffry, #2)
  • Laughed 'Til He Died (Death on Demand, #20)
  • Ask the Cards a Question
  • The Rosary Murders (Father Koesler, #1)
Nancy Pickard is an American crime novelist. She received a degree in journalism from the University of Missouri in Columbia, Missouri and began writing at age 35.

She has won five Macavity Awards, four Agatha Awards, an Anthony Award, and a Shamus Award. She is the only author to win all four awards. Her novel The Virgin of Small Plains, published in 2007, won an Agatha Award. She also served on t
More about Nancy Pickard...

Jenny Cain (10 books)
  • Generous Death (Jenny Cain, #1)
  • Say No to Murder (Jenny Cain, #2)
  • No Body (Jenny Cain, #3)
  • Dead Crazy (Jenny Cain, #5)
  • Bum Steer (Jenny Cain, #6)
  • I.O.U. (Jenny Cain, #7)
  • But I Wouldn't Want to Die There (Jenny Cain, #8)
  • Confession (Jenny Cain, #9)
  • Twilight (Jenny Cain, #10)