Start by marking “Kings In The North: The House of Percy in British History” as Want to Read:
Kings In The North: The House of Percy in British History

Kings In The North: The House of Percy in British History

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  35 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
The House of Percy resounds throughout Shakespeare's history plays, the Wars of the Roses and the centuries-long Anglo-Scottish Wars. In the Middle Ages, the earls of Northumberland were famed, or notorious, as the Kings in the North, a region they ran almost as an hereditary domain. Alexander Rose traces the history of this ancient and sometimes haughty dynasty, from the ...more
Paperback
Published June 5th 2003 by Phoenix (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Kings In The North, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kings In The North

Debby Taylor-Lane
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
A well written history of the Percy, Earls of Northumberland. A must read for any interested in England's medieval power struggle shenanigans.
Michael Smith
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Percy family were indeed very close to exercising the power of "kings" in the north of England. William de Perci, the founder, was not a Companion of the Conqueror, but he arrived from Normandy very soon after Hastings and received his share of the spoils, since the family had ranked high in the nobility of the Contentin for generations. Rose ably sorts out the family’s self-serving traditions (such as claiming descent from Rolf the Ganger), as well as Dugdale’s 17th century research, in dev ...more
Jane Walker
I didn't manage to finish this book. Rose tries hard to lighten his subject matter, but inevitably, at least in the half I read, it's a list of names and battles in which we get lost, without learning anything much about the Percy family itself. But then, little is known about them as people. It seems to me to have been the wrong approach.
Barbra
Nov 30, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in History
Shelves: non-fiction
This book was an ongoing project as it contains over 800 pages of historical information which I used to fill in a lot of my history gaps as far as early British History. It was slow reading in spots, but very useful to understand the ongoing problems between Scotland and the British Crown up through the present. The book is a history of the Percy family and their place in British history.
Michael Jecks
Sep 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
A very good book for those who want to research the thirteen hundreds, or who want to read a rollicking history of England in turbulent times. I'd certainly recommend it.
David Stephenson
Apr 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Excellent - incredibly detailed yet still quite the page turner
Sheila
Brian
Feb 19, 2009
Susanne Parsons
Oct 28, 2010
A little about myself. I was born in the United States, grew up in Australia, and educated (to the best of my abilities) in Britain. After that, I moved to Canada, became what was known in the pre-Internet era as a “newspaperman,” and eventually transferred to Washington, D.C. Now based in New York, I am what is currently known as an “historian.”

My writing has appeared in, among other places, the
More about Alexander Rose