Start by marking “Red Velvet (Forever Friends, #2)” as Want to Read:
Red Velvet (Forever Friends, #2)

Red Velvet

(Forever Friends #2)

Is she making her mom happy, or giving her permission to die?

Quinn Miller and her family are heading to Seattle for a six-week stay at Anderson House—a home away from home for cancer patients and their families—while her mother undergoes treatment. Once there, Quinn meets Annie, whose mom is also going through treatment. Each girl discovers that she has something special t
Published November 28th 2005 by Bethany House Publishers (first published October 11th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Red Velvet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Velvet

Jesseca Wheaton
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 3.5 stars.
We were at our library the other day, and I spotted this on their for-sale bookshelf. I picked it up and it looked interesting, so I decided I might as well give it a try. (Used paperbacks are $0.25. What did I have to lose?)
I still can't believe just how much I enjoyed this book. It was contemporary fiction, which is not a genre I normally read, so I didn't know what to expect. The fact that her mom had cancer was what caught my attention to begin with. I have a parent who ha
Melissa
Sep 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Fourteen-year-old Quinn Miller and her family are leaving Leavenworth, Washington for a six week stay in Seattle while her mother undergoes further treatment for breast cancer. They have been through a great deal over the past few years, and Quinn's mother has fairly advanced cancer. While in Seattle, they are staying at Anderson House, a home for cancer patients and their families, which includes a school for Quinn and her brother. At school, Quinn meets Annie, whose mother also has breast canc ...more
Jill Williamson
Nov 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
While her mother undergoes treatment for stage four breast cancer, Quinn Miller and her family move to Seattle to stay at Anderson House, a special home for cancer patients and their families. At her new school, Quinn meets Annie, a girl whose mother also has cancer. The two become friends, although Annie is reluctant to talk about her mom’s treatment.

Quinn’s family is open about everything. Quinn even attends her mom’s treatments, reading to her and leaving love notes written in candy hearts. S
Oct 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Although this book was a hard read for me, I think the author did a great job tackling a very difficult subject.

The 13 or 14 year old in this story (can't remember her age) is living on Planet Cancer as her mom is struggling through stage 4 breast cancer. I too clearly remember what having a parent with stage 4 brain cancer was like, so this book hit close to home.

I think the author did a really nice job giving the reader a glimpse into living with cancer and how it affects family and friends. A
Melangel
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
Allie
Feb 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Alicia
Dec 06, 2008 rated it liked it
I thought this was a touching book about a young girl who's mother is battling cancer. Cancer has touched my family several times; this is probably why I liked this book at least somewhat. Good tale of friendship and I liked the Christian touch. However, some of the word choicing in this book was just atrocious. It literally made me cringe.
Kerith
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
A nice tale of friendship between two girls whose mothers have cancer. The main character's relationship with her family is beautiful and I enjoyed her propensity for list-making (especially the list of drinks she had to try at Starbucks); still the writing was just all right and, while the Christian twist to the whole thing was no surprise, I wish there could've been a bit more to it.
Christina
Apr 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: young female readers
Shelves: young-adult, series, 4
An intriguing short novel about a young girl whose mother has cancer. The young girl's family moves to a cancer treatment place, and she meets another girl her age whose mother also has cancer. They of course become friends and help each other cope.
Scarlette
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Read this book at around age 9, and it absolutely changed my life. It was one of my earliest memories of falling in love with a book, and caring so much for the characters that I wept uncontrollably. I will always remember this gem.
Mary
Jul 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great book! Will read again for sure!
Hannah
Nov 27, 2010 rated it liked it
this book totally made me cry!
Anna Gibson
Jul 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was an awesome book! It has some pretty sad parts though about breast cancer. I would love a sequel!
Lisa
Oct 08, 2008 rated it it was ok
Just okay. I've heard good things about this author, but the only reason I finished this book (YA fiction) is that I was stressed and needed something to take my mind off it.
Emma J
Jun 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
I think its a really good book beside a few grammatical errors and spelling. So good at one point it even made me cry thinking of my family and people I know that are dying or have died from cancer.
Danielle Leger
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Although this was a hard topic for me to read about, the author did an amazing job at covering the topic and the ending was truly a blessing!
Emma Kastelein
Jan 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
amazing.but super sad........i read it 2 times.
Emily
Oct 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
this book was like the BEST BOOK I HAVE EVER READ!!!!!it faces many challenges and teaches many lessons that young girls face in their tween years, I loved it!!!!!!!!
Abby
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was a sad read but I really enjoyed it! Sandra Byrd really has a way of telling her experience in a way that makes you feel for the characters!
Tgirl
rated it did not like it
Oct 23, 2011
Dec 30, 2012
Jessamyn Leigh
Oct 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Bestselling author Sandra Byrd has published fifty books over her editing and writing career. Her traditionally published books include titles by Howard Books, a division of Simon and Schuster, Tyndale House Publishers, WaterBrook Press, an imprint of Penguin Random House, and Bethany House Publishers.

Sandra’s series of historically sound Gothic romances launched with the best-selling Mist of Mid

Forever Friends (3 books)
  • Chopstick (Forever Friends #1)
  • Daisy Chains (Forever Friends #3)