Start by marking “The Atlas of Experience” as Want to Read:
The Atlas of Experience

The Atlas of Experience

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  95 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
An illustrated guide to the most adventurous journey there is: Life.

Human beings have long been addicted to maps: they tell us where we are, how we got where we are, and where we are going next. But The Atlas of Experience is no ordinary book of maps.

While adhering to the conventions of cartography, this atlas invites the traveler to follow routes through familiar-looking
Published October 13th 2000 by Bloomsbury USA (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Atlas of Experience, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Atlas of Experience

Philip Mann
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I picked up this whimsical book at least fourteen years ago, and it still is my most treasured book. I hope that there are still copies available so that others can share a chuckle with me.

This book, as the title suggests, describes just about every human experience as a piece of geography. There the Frozen Wastes that contain hatred, grievance, contempt and other nasty feelings. Just looking at the picture is chilling.
The land of Boredom is as exciting as a golf course, a featureless green ex
Janet
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wie houdt er nou niet van atlassen? En dan met een vleugje filosofie en een hoop humor.
Cheryl
Jun 23, 2013 rated it liked it
I love maps, and this book of maps about life is a fascinating exercise for the brain. There are maps that have a theme, like a island called Secrets, a country called Knowledge, an island called Haute Cuisine, a city called Change. The legend for the maps have familiar landmarks like a power station or a peak, ruins and a bridge; and unique ones that capture the imagination like sound, storm, watch-tower. In a map of a place called Home, perhaps a country, there are cities named Safe, Brat, Pat ...more
Gina
Jul 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone & Anyone!
A beautiful book...I was happy to get a copy of it since I believe it's out of print now. It's too bad if it is...it's a wonderful book & something I think everyone can enjoy.

It's easy for me to get lost in maps, but this one was just so imaginative, the connections so beautiful. It's difficult to put into words...the strength of maps is to portray information in a non-linear way & this book does that beautifully.
Tim
May 13, 2012 rated it liked it
A full set of maps of imaginary towns. cities, country and wastes, based on progress through life, accompanied by light, discursive pieces on the areas such as "Boredom", "Overwork", "Hypochondria" and so on. There's even a tube map for the capital city of Change (with its 'Museum of Entropy' and the district of 'Antithesis'). The sort of thing you frequently find in fantasy books, but good.
Michael Hazard
Aug 15, 2007 rated it liked it
Excellent coffee table book that contains traditional looking maps that lead the reader through the realms of imagination, ideads, feelings and experience. Words of inspiration and understanding throughout. The maps are fun.
t-rex
Jun 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009, art
A random acquisition on my part. Such a creative idea. The maps provide much visual appeal, and were (for me personally) more captivating than the accompanying text.
Anne Skriver