Start by marking “Six Degrees of Lust (By Degrees, #1)” as Want to Read:
Six Degrees of Lust (By Degrees, #1)

Six Degrees of Lust

(By Degrees #1)

*WARNING FROM THE AUTHOR:
Six Degrees of Lust is both an ensemble novel and the first installment in the By Degrees serial. This means there are several point of views and the story will continue. Thanks.

New York City FBI team leader Samuel Shaughnessy lives for his immediate family and his job. After a marriage gone wrong he has stuck to a firm rule when it comes to
Published December 30th 2011 by MLR Press (first published December 27th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Six Degrees of Lust, please sign up.
Taylor Donovan
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Six Degrees of Lust (By Degrees, #1)
Baba
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, taylor-v-donovan
4 stars.****Review posted June 4, 2013

photo Bildschirmfoto2013-06-02um213405_zps79ebc1c3.png

Our main protagonists are FBI agent and team leader Samuel (Sam) Shaughnessy who is living in New York, and bar manager Machlan (Mac) O'Bannon who is living in Houston, Texas. As a little side note: There is no denying it, Irish men are hawt. Sam is very busy working the case of a religious serial killer who is murdering young gay men. The evidence leads him and his team to Tangerine, a very popular gay club. Both men are bumping into each other at the
Susan
Aug 26, 2013 rated it really liked it

Let me tell you why I would normally dislike this book:

* Too many characters
* All of whom are gay or bisexual
* All conveniently intertwined somehow
* All perfect

Let me tell you why I ended up loving this book:

* So many characters to choose from.
* All of whom are HOTLY gay or bisexual and attracted to one another
* All intertwined in this “six degrees” way that makes it fun to figure out who-knows-who
* All imperfectly perfect with interesting stories to be told

It’s a given I’m going to love Mac
❧A Bookish Berkeley Girl❧
5 Stars!

This is how I feel 1 Day after reading this book.....

and....

I WANT the next one NOW! I am glad as HELL I do NOT have to wait but a few weeks, otherwise I'd just DIE!

The Book and What I Loved

I Loved that he call's him Kitten!
I Love the chemistry "omg...off the charts" of Mac and Sam
I Love the email's...they were HILARIOUS!
I Loved Sam's Alpfa-uptightness
I Loved Mac's Alpfa-laid-backness.
I Love Logan...just for fu*#king being Logan.
I Loved Mac's voice, his accent stood out in word with
Gigi
Re-read Jan. 2019

I took 2 stars away from this one because I HATE the way these two treat each other. According to my first review, I loved the conflict. I don't anymore.

This is one of those books I should have NEVER re-read. Sad face.

ORIGINAL REVIEW

I believe it's time to get my re-read on with this one, but... I think I'll wait until all the books are out. Sounds like spring 2017. I can wait because I know it will be worth it.

Original review:
Review here! 5 stars, favorites shelf.
Sheziss
DNF page 74 of 389

I just can't.

The style doesn't call to me.

The sex doesn't inspire me.

The endless list of perfect secondary gay characters is aggravating.

Just no.

Jewel
4.5 Stars

I've had (the first edition of) Six Degrees of Lust on my Kindle for about a year and a half, and I always intended to read it, but I just never seemed to get to it. Well, it's being republished by Dreamspinner, so when the second edition came up on the ARC list, I decided that now is the time to finally give it a shot! I'm so glad I did. I really loved it.

Before I get into the meat of my review, do be aware that Six Degrees of Lust is the beginning of a serial and it ends on a
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
DNF at 43%

I've been dying to read this book ever since I read (and ADORED) Disasterology 101. I even went out and bought this book a couple of years ago, though I hadn't gotten around to reading it. When I saw it was being re-released, I jumped at the chance to try the newer version.

However, this book and I were not meant to be.

I really should have known better because I hate romantic suspense. I make a few exceptions, but romantic suspense and I are not friends. I also hate multiple POVs, and
Teal
** 2.5 stars **

When I realized at 90% that this would be a cliffhanger -- a CLIFFHANGER, grrrrrrr -- I was ready to stomp off in a huff and give it 2 stars. I was already feeling pretty stingy about its stars anyway. But then I reached 95%, and... well, I'll say more about that at the end.

First let's get the good stuff out of the way (because it won't take long). Alpha males Sam and Mac fall for each other, completely against their most fiercely-held intentions, with lots of hot sex along the
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
First and foremost, I feel like I should say that this is the first part of a serial and thank God for that because I can't wait to read more of Mac and Sam! I absolutely loved these guys!

Mac, a man who manages a bar from Texas, flies to New York with his boss to look at possible places for a second club location. Sam, an FBI agent, meets Mac at the airport when he drops everything to rescue his sister and nephew. Their brief encounter is intense and leaves them both with a longing to hook up.
Wendy
4,5 stars...I will write a combined review for book 1 and 2 after reading the second book in this series, because this one ends on a cliffhanger.

I really do love Mac and Sam together and I hope there will be many books to come in the future, since I already feel a connection with all the great characters in this one :))
Susan
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm, comfort-reads
God, these books are good.
I'm still sad there are only two books and so much potential for a million books more featuring different couples. I want to read about Logan, Christian, Remy, Braxton, and when they grow up a bit more, Nicky and Sasha.

But alas, no sequels in sight. :(

I just have to re-read these two over and over again then...

This starts out with FBI agent Sam Shaughnessy trying to catch a killer with his team (total Criminal Minds vibes!!). There is a serial killer targeting gay men,
~Volha~
First, let me say that I loved this book to bits and it had nothing to do with hot and steamy s*e*x, and believe me there was plenty. What I loved the most were all the characters, their quirks and twitches. There are so many of them and each is given a voice. Our MCs, Sam and Mac, range from arrogant to hilarious and everything in between. The banter between them alone was worth reading the book for - the ingenious way how it all started between them and how far these two have come by the end ...more
Kelly
Jun 02, 2013 marked it as dnf
DNF AT 35%

I really wanted to like this book, but there were too many secondary characters and there was too much going on. I know the author is setting things up for a series, but she tried to pack way too much into this first book.

I think I'm in the minority here, so if you're thinking about reading this, give it a shot. You just might like it. In fact, I liked it enough that I'm not going to rate it because I might come back and finish it later.
Ami
Trio
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm telling you I put this book down intending not to finish it because there was something about this author's writing style which just rubbed me the wrong way, but the story was so intriguing I couldn't help myself and started reading it again. Glad I did, the characters are really interesting and I can't believe the plot - really clever.

finished

I'm seriously amazed - this book turned out to be way more than I expected. Wish I had known about the cliff hanger but it is my own fault for never
Susan65
Dec 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Can I give this more than 5 stars? Can the next book come out tomorrow? I can't wait to continue this amazingly intense and brilliantly written story. I have been waiting and waiting and reading my heart out trying to find something to rock my world and this story ROCKED MY WORLD!

I am not ready for Sam & Mac's story to end. I still need to know more about Logan, Sasha, Christian and Remy. They were all such amazing characters and deserve their time...and if that time is sooner then later I
Eva
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, hot-as-hell
Very enjoyable story of Sam and Mac…

… full of friends and discovery …

… lots of obstacles and HOT & COLD drama

…mind blowing chemistry…

…so I just can’t wait for more… like NOW!

Recommended read.

Isabel
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book goes directly to my favorite M/M shelf!!!

Amazing plot, fantastic characters... well, a story that captivates from the beggining til the end!

Sam and Mac have an interesting, honest and beautiful relationship! The chemistry between them is mind-blowing and though Sam won't admit how serious in love he is and Mac plays along, the development is so exciting... I love them!

But I also love all the other characters: Chris, Remy, Logan... so many interesting and super hot men! They all took
agirlwithoutwings
The number of secondary characters and their separate drama made the book a soap opera. These characters were so alike I not only was unable to differentiate them, but also unable to care about them. Also, the way the book started with the mystery and then merely left it to deal with the special agent’s relationship issues was annoying. Certainly, I love the combination of a romance and mystery, but here the latter was getting postponed and the former unresolved.

The main characters were
I~❤️~Books
 photo ed9e4e00-36c0-477f-8ccf-7bf41927cadb_zps6ftkzn6i.png

*****I LOVE IT!!!*****
Why did I wait so long to read this? I love the characters ... I love the story. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Donna
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4 and a half stars. I love the characters of Sam and Mac! I like the secondary characters, too, but I wish the story had been mostly focused on Sam and Mac and not having POVs from so many other characters. That is why I took off a star. Plus, I couldn't really understand the villain and I don't think his character is very well written. But Sam and Mac's hot, sexy romance makes up for it.
Chris
Sep 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Pretty good m/m romantic suspense about an emotionally unavailable FBI agent who can't get a one-night stand out of his head, even as he's trying to track down a serial killer targeting gay men. This book was heading toward a solid four-star rating before a nasty cliffhanger ending. Pretty much nothing at all was resolved. That makes me really, really cranky.
Marina
Intriguing. Exciting. Alluring. Inevitable.

Flowing writing. Fully developped protagonists irresistible to the core. Secondary characters only enhancing the plot, never weakening it. Gripping cop sub-plot. A religious gay homophobic serial killer on the loose. An FBI agent swearing off all relationships. An ex-fireman battling the constant suffocating denial of his high-status family towards his choice of life. An accidental spark turned into an inflamatory sexual attraction and deep-seated
~Kristin~
4.5 Stars
In the beginning, this book was crazy confusing. There were so many people to keep track of, and how everyone was connected to each other was not easy to keep straight. But once you were pulled into the meat of the story, it was fantastic. Let me just say, this right here, is one hell of a scorching hot page turner. The sex was off the charts, but the story was right there as well and I was invested. The running straight off the cliff ending would have absolutely killed me if I wasn't
Bitchie
Holy crap, why did I wait so long to read this? Fuh-ricking awesome!

There were a LOT of characters in this story, a lot of different things going on, which, usually, I don't like. In this one though, they all fit together (even if they don't KNOW they fit together), and I just kept wanting to read more. The chemistry between Mac and Sam is off the charts hot, and I know some people don't like Sam's assholeish attitude, but I totally do. I get that it's just a way to protect himself from getting
Nazanin
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I just realized this author hasn't published this series in years! I wanted to know what would happen with Mac and Sam. ...more
Jenn
Aug 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, i-own, series, fictionwise
I'll give this a 3.5.

Overall, I would say its an enjoyable read. Mac and Sam were beyond hot together, and I liked the push/pull of their relationship, but there were some problems preventing me from giving this a higher rating.

The prologue was pretty damn creepy, and I got really excited that this book was going to be a m/m series that was really dark. I don't think it lived up to that in that department. While the mystery is focused on a serial killer religious fanatic, after the prologue I
BWT (Belen)
Let me begin by saying I am aware I am firmly in the minority with my opinion of this story.

A lot of people have given this 5 stars and loved, loved, loved it. I, on the other hand, hated it. It's what makes the world go around. As my mother says, "There's a hat for every head." This one simply did not work for me on most every level.

I felt like the story couldn't figure out if it wanted to be a mystery or romance and was trying to balance between the two (while failing miserably).

There were too
T.A. Webb
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Sam Shaughnessy is a complex man. He is the team leader of an elite group of FBI agents tracking a serial killer preying an gay men. He is a family man, committed to his sister and his nephew, who he is on his way to fetch after his abusive brother in law takes it one step too far. He is the still grieving father and ex husband. And he is the flirt who has one night stands and never lets his heart come into play.

In the airport on his way to get his sister and nephew, he meets Mac O'Bannon. Mac
Kade Boehme
Nov 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have got to start by saying that my absolute most favorite thing about this book was definitely Mac. He is pretty much in my dream man category. He's a big dude... like really big, ex firefighter, bartender, protective, really really sweet and so laid back. (and not a douche bag in any way, which would b a rarity in the shitty guys i am usually attracted to). He really goes for it. Against his family, his shitty old friend Amy, and coming out to his friends he still has that sweet courage to ...more

• Long Time Gone (Hell or High Water, #2)
  • All Kinds of Tied Down (Marshals, #1)
  • Daylight Again (Hell or High Water, #3)
  • Tied Up in Knots (Marshals, #3)
  • Fit to be Tied (Marshals, #2)
  • Catch a Ghost (Hell or High Water, #1)
  • A Matter of Time Book II (A Matter of Time #2)
  • Nothing Special (Nothing Special, #1)
  • A Matter of Time Book III (A Matter of Time #3)
  • Twisted and Tied (Marshals, #4)
  • If I Ever (Hell or High Water #4)
  • The Wolf at the Door (Big Bad Wolf, #1)
  • Hell & High Water (THIRDS, #1)
  • Shades of Gray
  • Fair Game (All's Fair, #1)
  • Mind Magic  (Triad, #1)
  • Kill Game (Seven of Spades, #1)
  • A Matter of Time Book I (A Matter of Time #1)
Taylor V. Donovan is a compulsive reader and author of gay romance and suspense. She is optimistically cynical about humanity and a lover of history, museums, and all things 80s. She shamelessly indulges in mind-numbing reality television, is crazy about fashion, and passionate about civil rights and equality for all.

For more information please visit www.taylorvdonovan.com

By Degrees (3 books)
  • Six Degrees of Separation (By Degrees, #2)
  • Six Degrees of Agony (By Degrees, #3)
“Logan to Sam "You know, sometimes life puts people in our way at unexpected times. And even if we think them to be inconvenient, the connection can be intense, it'll change the scheme of things. Whenever something like that happens, it is best to go with it, because no amount of refusal or denial is going to make a difference in whatever is meant to be” 9 likes
“I’m with friends. Leaving with them, too… unless any of you guys want to take me home?” The come-hither look was back in full force.
“Not a chance.” Sam slid out of the booth.
“Not on the clock,” Logan said.
“Not with witnesses,” Zane countered.
“Not even gay,” Duncan finished.”
9 likes