Start by marking “Dying to Tell Me” as Want to Read:
Dying to Tell Me

Dying to Tell Me

Sasha didn't think her life could get any worse. She was wrong. Her dad decided to move she and her brother to a new town whose residents didn't seem very glad to have a new policeman - never mind his kids-in town.
Published June 15th 2011 by Kane/Miller Book Publishers (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dying to Tell Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dying to Tell Me

Start your review of Dying to Tell Me
Josh Bush
Jul 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Dying to Tell Me was a good, entertaining story. The character development continues throughout the book, making you feel that you are getting to know each person a little better in each chapter. Hopefully this is setting up for as series with more mysteries to solve. The number of interconnected plots was simple enough for the young adult label but shows that the author will be able to give us many more interesting stories in this setting in the future.

I found the dog character more interesting
Kirsti
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I seem to read a lot of Australian YA lately that feels like books I might have been forced to read at school. I guess now I'm older and not forced to read just Australian authors I enjoy it more. I'm not even sure what gives me that school feeling, except loads of books we read back then were set in Australia, about growing up and change. But enough of that, I still liked this book!

Sasha reads as a very real young person, struggling with the move and her new powers. She genuinely cares for her
Wendy Orr
A well written, page-turning thriller with strong, likeable characters. The supernatural element seems entirely believable because Sasha is an extremely realistic, three dimensional character: a teenager dealing as best she can with moving to a new environment after a troubled past - and with a policeman for a father. And I loved her interaction with the dog!
Jen
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did thoroughly enjoy this book even if it took a while to read it.
The characters all have flaws but most try to do the right thing and basically care about others. They have reasons for why they have messed up. The story certainly gets better when King enters it. Typical doggo is totally loyal and supportive and will do anything to care for his humans.
I envy Sasha always having that conscience talking to her and reminding her of what is right but supporting her even when she gets it wrong.
I
Hailey Peay
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ERIN SCHMIDT
May 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fairly quick read, a mystery with paranormal elements and a young adult (13-year-old) protagonist. It reminded me a little of the TV series 'Veronica Mars,' a little bit of Charlaine Harris's Sookie Stackhouse series if Sookie was still a teenager and just coming into her powers, and a little bit of Marlene Perez's Dead Is series, although Clark's world is a bit darker and less cartoonish (and, of course, Australian as opposed to U.S./Californian). I don't usually read mysteries, but ...more
Miffy
This crossover YR/ YA novel is a well-written mystery. Moving to a new (country) town after their mother leaves the family, Sasha, her dad and brother become embroiled in a local mystery involving art, dope and deadbeats.
There are some cliches in this story, but there is a lot to like too. Sasha is a 'troubled teen' trying to find her way after going off the rails after her mum leaves. Dad is trying to do his best, while holding down a job as a policeman. And brother, Nicky, is just trying to ge
Peta
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A compelling story that appealed to me because the main character could communicate with a dog. (What's not to love?). I lent my copy to a 13 year old girl, who had nothing to read over the long easter weekend. She ended up taking it home, because she was so absorbed in the story. I think that's a pretty good sign.
Sherri
Feb 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
An interesting fast-paced mystery thriller set in Australia features 13-year-old Sasha's new move to a small rural town where not everyone is pleased to have a policeman back in town. Sasha's dad is the new constable. Sasha begins to experience some weird things as she realizes her old premonition skills are starting to return after she thought she had blocked them all out.
Christine
Mar 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Year 7 and above. A good read. The daughter of a policeman reluctantly becomes involved in a murder mystery. After a head injury she discovers she can communicate telepathically with their new police dog. A well written story that carries you along.
Karen
Feb 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 11, ebook, arc
A very well written YA story set in Australia. I definitely can see more books about this character coming out in the future and look forward to seeing more of Sasha's life as she adapts to her new life.
B. R. Kyle (Ambiguous Pieces)
Things I Liked:
-Balanced Story Elements: Plot, Character and Description were all equally represented in the narrative.
-Engaging Characters: Sasha and King are well-developed and interesting, but it’s the secondary characters, such as Tangine, that intrigue me.
-Plot: The plot is well paced and engaging, and while I would have liked for Sasha to be present when the missing Nolan painting was discovered, however I can understand that might not have been practical. Sasha doesn’t want to draw too mu
Olivia
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a really good book and kept me reading it the whole time. I felt like I knew the characters as the book went on. One thing that I didn't like though was the ending because it was the most boring part of the book.
GGSnaps
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was very confusing, but she has a very special gift that she can talk to her new dog king and other dogs can hear her too sometimes. She has another gift that can tell something bad before it happens. Can she solve a mystery before it's too late?
Alissa
Aug 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wasn't incredible, but was fairly good.
Paula Stock
Definitely a quick Y.A. Read. It kept my interest, but it was not as intriguing as I was hoping for. Mystery abounds with a touch of the supernatural.
M.M. Hudson
This is the story of a young girl with telepathic abilities. She covers her abilities up from everyone including her Dad and brother. She does not want to be "the freak". She can also telepathically talk to her dog. Eventually, she uses the "gift" to help her family and to solve a 100 year old mystery.

That is essentially the book although, there is a lot of fluff that leads up to it. I read the entire book but it took forever to get to the point. I had hoped that conclusion would be at least a n
Hazel Edwards
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Wonderful when one page into a novel, you relax because you have confidence in the author to construct a credible world and plot and believable characters. Sherryl Clark does this. And yet she tackles the bigger themes of splintered families, single parenthood where the parent's job skills the children and a girl finding her identity.

I liked Sasha as a character. And the way themes were threaded and plot questions answered.

Sasha's teen angst and yet her care for her younger brother and respect f
Hazel Edwards
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Sasha's teen angst and yet her care for her younger brother and respect f
Sherry Mackay
Apr 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though this book is for young adults I really enjoyed it. It had a good plot and a bit of mystery with the ghost. The main character is quite likeable and the relationship with her brother and father is nice. There is clearly room for a sequel here. let's hope the writer writes it. It would be interesting to see where the psychic gifts of the main character take her. I enjoyed seeing how the family adapted to moving to the countryside and then had to fit in seeing how they were the local co ...more
Alice Estee
Aug 13, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book based on a friend's recommendation. I was rather hesitant to read it at first, due to the synopsis. The idea was rather cliche, but my friend told me that I should at least read the book before judging. And I have. It is, quite simply, a disaster of a story.

What one lacks in plot, one usually fills with a good writing style. I have nothing against Clark's writing style, but I would not even call it pleasant. It bore me from the beginning, from the very first line. I was doused
Amanda O'Shea
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Dying to Tell Me' was a fast paced, mystery adventure story, set in a remote, tired, small country town where not much seems to happen. Well, quite a bit happens and the main protagonist, Sasha, her retired police dog, King and her brother, Nicky, end up having an exciting and harrowing time dealing with local criminals and unsolved mysteries of the past. This story was a highly engaging read with interesting and likeable characters.
Oct 05, 2011 rated it liked it
This one had a bit of a supernatural element, as narrator Sasha is revealed to have some unusual extrasensory powers. Full review on Finding Wonderland: http://writingya.blogspot.com/2011/10... ...more
Gwen Colley
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THIS IS MY FAVORITE BOOK OF ALLLLLLL TIME!!!!! if you like a strange but amazing book you will like this one. Owen of the resonss I like it s much is because it's an Astrailan book.
Brenda
Jun 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Love the story line. The action was enough to keep the story going but the talking to the dog part is what made it lose stars from me.
Julia
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced and gripping. A great read.
Darbi Hebrank
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Stars at Oktober Bend
  • A Small Free Kiss in the Dark
  • Trouble
  • Possession (Steel Brothers Saga #3)
  • The House Between Tides
  • Melt (Steel Brothers Saga, #4)
  • Daddy's Little Girl
  • The Faraday Girls
  • Burn (Steel Brothers Saga, #5)
  • Surrender (Steel Brothers Saga, #6)
  • I'll See You in Paris
  • Breaking Up with Barrett (The English Brothers, #1; Blueberry Lane, #1)
  • Clancy of the Overflow (The Matilda Saga, #9)
  • Obsession (Steel Brothers Saga, #2)
  • We Are Young
  • What the Woods Keep
  • Still Life with Tornado
  • Pigen uden hud
Some of my first short stories were crime fiction, and although in the last 20 years I have focused a lot more on writing children's and YA books, I've kept going with my crime writing. The first two novels are now stowed somewhere in the back of my filing cabinet!
But "Trust Me, I'm Dead", first draft written in 2009, was shortlisted for the CWA Debut Dagger and then published by Verve Books in th