Start by marking “A Murder in Tuscany” as Want to Read:
A Murder in Tuscany

A Murder in Tuscany (Sandro Cellini #2)

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  311 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Sandro Cellini, P. I., Florence’s answer to Donna Leon’s Guido Brunetti, returns in this atmospheric mystery set in a forbidding castle.

As Sandro Cellini comes to grips with the tough realities of life as a private detective, touting for business among old contacts and following errant teenagers, an old case comes back to haunt him.
Once the subject of a routine background
Published August 2nd 2011 by Minotaur Books (first published May 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Murder in Tuscany, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Murder in Tuscany

Sonya L Moore
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quick summary from Amazon: "Loni Meadows is the beautiful, unstable director of an arts foundation headquartered in a crumbling castle outside Florence. When Meadows dies under peculiar circumstances, it becomes clear that almost everyone at Castello Orfeo would have been pleased to see her dead. Years ago, as a low-level member of the Florence police force, Sandro Cellini, now working sporadically as a private eye, ran a routine background check on Meadows, and he hopes that the tidbits he lear ...more
Ron
May 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is also titled for the second edition A FINE AND PRIVATE PLACE and is the second in a series featuring Sandro Cellini, a former member of the Florence police, now a private investigator. A very good read, as was Ms. Kent's first of the series, THE DROWNING RIVER. From Amazon: Loni Meadows is the beautiful, unstable director of an arts foundation headquartered in a crumbling castle outside Florence. When Meadows dies under peculiar circumstances, it becomes clear that almost everyone at ...more
Gloria Mccracken
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a detective novel, with the emphasis on novel. Yes, there is a mystery -- and a pretty good one, too--but the real appeal of the book is the novelistic development of some complex characters. There's a pretty good-sized cast and nearly all of them seem quite well-rounded with complicated motivations for doing what they do. And it doesn't hurt that it's set in Italy, too. I liked this book a lot and wouldn't mind reading some more by this author.
Jane
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Gave up on this one and didn't bother finishing it. Initially liked it, but got bogged down. It seemed to move far too slowly for my taste and eventually decided I simply didn't care enough to keep going. Pity - she writes well, good dialogue and well developed characters, but after wading through lots of words the lack of story momentum became irritating. Almost split in two, between Cellini and Cate. She's interesting, he much less so.
Nancy
Italian noir. Very atmospheric. Love this series, love our ex-detective, but this one was spoiled for me by the very poor copy-editing of the kindle edition. Lots of typos relating to where sentences ended. And the new one. Began. Weird and distracting, and there were enough of them to ruin the entire middle. Of the book.
Sallee
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Italian retired police officer, Sandro Chillini, now a private investigator, is hired to investigate a murder of Loni Meadows. She was the director of an artist's retreat that was housed in an ancient castle in Tuscany. Unusual characters keep this a page turner. You will want to visit the Castle Orfeo to immerse yourself in this murder.
Wendy
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

Even better than book 1. Really enjoyed it and am keen to start the 3rd book. Good characters and interesting plot.
Karen
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed though confused by ending, had to reread it several times.
Judy
Jul 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to love "A Murder in Tuscany". It has all the elements I enjoy in a good mystery--the Tuscany setting for starters, plus a solid and likable PI, interesting support characters, and a dreary castle full of weirdos.

Christobel Kent's ability to define a novel by its sense of place is one of her writing's best features. Her skills are particularly fine at the end of this novel. However, some of the technical things she did this time around drove me to distraction. Totally my problem. I own
Michelle
Dec 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
(3.5 stars) This is the second book in the Sandro Cellini series. Sandro is called in when a contentious director of an artist retreat set in a remote manor is found dead in a car wreck. He had previously done some background check work for the foundation, and leaves his home and current surveillance job to his sometime assistant. He is having some relationship challenges with his wife during her recovery from breast cancer and has some worries about her relationship with her boss. He is also sh ...more
Karen
Oct 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: murder-mystery
Competently written, with a setting I greatly enjoyed, I nonetheless didn't love this tale of an American woman, director of an artists' retreat in Florence, who skids off an icy road and dies in circumstances that look suspicious. The dual-point-of-view narrative, shared by detective Sandro Cellini, and Cate, an employee of the institute, seemed contrived to me. Also, I'm getting tired of the device at the conclusion of a murder mystery where the author whiplashes us in the space of one or two ...more
Andy Plonka
Aug 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one is in the tradition of locked room mysteries with a lomited number of suspects each with a plausible motive to have done the deed. It is ideal for the detail person. Each motive is spelled out with the appropriate opportunity. It takes a while to get the characters straight in one's mind so it is best read when you have a few hours at a time to devote to it(unless, of course, your powers of concentration and memory are better than mine) An enjoyable read though and a pleasant break from ...more
Elizabeth
Nov 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Loved this book. Being all about characters I enjoyed the dual protagonists, Sandro Cellini, the private investigator and Caterina Giottone/Cate, an amateur sleuth who lives in the castle. The setting was very well drawn, too. I would get a chill up my spine reading about the eerie, cold castle, and the wintery blustery days. This book is a mystery: was there a murder committed and if so, by whom? But those questions seemed really to be a sideline to finding out more about each character and how ...more
Jeff Clay
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 2nd book in Kent's Sandro Cellini series is a bit more fleshed out than the first book, which delivers a more satisfying experience. The characters are complex, the setting and atmosphere are well-described, and the plotting is paced at a thoughtful and measured stride. As with most (all?) good books, it's the journey not the destination that counts. The 'whodunnit' nature of a mystery is much less interesting than 'how did I get here.' Looking forward to Kent's 3rd installment in the near f ...more
Monica
Sep 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sandro Cellini, former Florentine police officer turned private investigator is hired by a well known human rights attorney to investigate the death of his wife who was killed in an auto accident on an icy mountain road. She was the director of an American-Italian artists' retreat in a castle in the hills outside Florence. It's a sort of locked room mystery with a cast of interesting characters (the international artists in residence and the locals who take care of them) and a great setting. Wel ...more
Karen Lowe
Mar 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed 'A fine and private place' - a beautifully crafted murder mystery, with characters I could believe in. Every time I was sure 'whodunnit', I was wrong. It kept me enthralled to the end. And the setting, in wintery Italy, was superbly drawn. I look forward to reading more about Sandro Cellini. My only slight gripe was that the proofreading could have been better - throughout the kindle version, there are formatting errors and stray punctuation, which do a disservice to this ot ...more
Betty
Oct 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime, italy
Better than 3 stars, not quite 4. The second in the series followed the formula set up in the first: beautiful girl naively gathering information, investigator carefully accumulating details, cold winter weather in Florence. Skillfully accomplished in most respects but I would not recommend reading the two in the series back to back as I did. And the grammar police have plenty to grumble about. I'd still recommend it to fans of crime fiction.
Kathy
Sep 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Loni, director of an Italian artist's retreat, dies in an accident. Or did she? Cate, the outsider hired for her English skills, notices things and wonders. The dead woman's powerful husband hires humble but dogged detective Sandro Cellini to look into it while Sandro himself wonders if his marriage of 30 years is disintegrating. Miss Marple or detective Columbo fans will like this.
Susie
Dec 17, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
My rating would be a 3.5 - Sandro Cellini is having a hard time getting started as a private investigator. Cases are slow in coming his way. Now he finds himself involved with a case at a castle, an artistic retreat. Giuli has a bigger role in this novel and Luisa is coming to terms with surviving her bout with cancer.
Kimberly Campbell
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this novel. The characters were rich in personality and held my interest. I loved the secondary characters such as Giuli and Cate. I was left with a deep impression of atmosphere of this area of Tuscany and could feel the palpable tension as I read. Couldn't put this book down and devoured it in two days.
Carol
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this for my mystery book club, it took a while for me to get into it. The characters all seemed depressed or conflicted. I was hoping for some descriptions of warm and sunny Italian scenery. Oh well.
Ann
Dec 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Having just returned from a visit to Italy and Florence, I enjoyed this book because of the location. I thought that the way that the murder and Sandro's relationship with his wife was a good twist to the mystery.
Kris
Mar 14, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I simply could not get into this book. I am incredibly disappointed since my book club read this and for the first time a mystery was chosen and I am a huge mystery fan. Unfortunately, the writing style just didn't do it for me.
David Marshall
Mar 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a superior investigation into what may be an accidental death. If it's not an accident, there's a real mystery as to how it could be organised.

Pat
A really good read with this time more about other chractes than the first one we read. Fun to rad about places where you know the street and the surrounding area. The characters are developing nicely. Can't wait for the next one.

Cristina
Aug 08, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: never-finished
I didn't even finish the book, that's how much I didn't like it. I almost never stop reading a book, but I kept giving it another chance but could never get into it.
Irena Horvat
Because I loved 'The Drowning River', I really wanted to love this book, but, I couldn't even like it. Forced myself to get half way, but found it so uninteresting'.
Cami
Dec 06, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
I hate to say it but after the first 20 pages I just was not pulled in. I had to return it to the library. So sorry to say I guess this book just wasn't for me.
Sally Smith
Another enjoyable, solid mystery in Italy with private detective Sandro Cellini, retired police officer.
Jane
Sep 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, italy, adult
there were only a couple things that seemed highly unlikely. The setting more than made up for it.
  • The Faces Of Angels
  • Blotto, Twinks and the Rodents of the Riviera (Blotto and Twinks, #3)
  • Paganini's Ghost (Castiglione and Guastafeste, #2)
  • An Empty Death (DI Ted Stratton, #2)
  • The Name of the Game Is Death (Drake, #1)
  • The Falconer's Knot: A Story of Friars, Flirtation and Foul Play
  • Brunetti's Cookbook
  • Yellow Medicine (Billy Lafitte, #1)
  • Eyes of the Innocent (Carter Ross Mystery #2)
  • The Goodbye Kiss
  • A Bali Conspiracy Most Foul (Inspector Singh Investigates #2)
  • Death of a Dutchman (Marshal Guarnaccia Mystery, #2)
  • False Mermaid (Nora Gavin #3)
  • The Girl of His Dreams (Commissario Brunetti, #17)
  • The Rage
  • An April Shroud (Dalziel & Pascoe, #4)
  • Liar, Liar (Cat DeLuca Mysteries, #1)
  • The Dark Valley
Christobel Kent was born in London in 1962 and now lives in Cambridge with her husband and four children; in between she lived in Florence. She worked in publishing for several years, most recently as Publicity Director at Andre Deutsch. Her debut novel A Party in San Niccolo, was published in 2003.

Series:
* Sandro Cellini
More about Christobel Kent...

Sandro Cellini (5 books)
  • The Drowning River (Sandro Cellini, #1)
  • The Dead Season (Sandro Cellini, #3)
  • A Darkness Descending (Sandro Cellini, #4)
  • The Killing Room (Sandro Cellini, #5)