Start by marking “Adrienne and the Chalet School” as Want to Read:
Adrienne and the Chalet School

Adrienne and the Chalet School

(The Chalet School #53)

Who is Adrienne Demoines? She seems to have no relations at all when Soeur Marie-Cecile rescues her from her tragic circumstances and enrols her at the Chalet School. It is not until a nearly fatal accident occurs that the mystery of her identity is solved.
Published 1965 by Chambers

To ask other readers questions about Adrienne and the Chalet School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adrienne and the Chalet School

Start your review of Adrienne and the Chalet School
Louise / Daisy May Johnson
There's no escaping that Adrienne is, as a whole, a relatively poor book. It's written with the tiredness that affects the end of the series, a sort of written by rote and necessity attitude that pervades the entire book.

So, we know our format by now, for it is one that is rarely deviated from. A new girl arrives at school; she has trials and tribulations, before ultimately becoming the ideal Chalet School Girl.

What is unique about this book, and sort of fascinating however, is the subplot invo
Deborah
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Oh! Another sheets-and-pillowcases party!' said my sister as soon as she saw the cover. She was right. We can tell we are nearing the end because Len is now head-girl (Rosamund having disappeared, Loveday-style: was there really nobody else in the sixth who could have taken over?). And by this point, EBD was seriously into recycling.

We have already, in Melanie Lucas, had a character who turns out to be related to an old girl, something which is deduced somewhat implausibly from her gestures. In
Yvonne
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Finishing 'Adrienne' I know it will be thoroughly forgettable as the last 20 or so books have been. I'm a completist at heart but EBD is really trying my patience.

This was another absurd plot with a much loved 'old girl' reintroduced if for a short time. Robin is a favourite character of mine and in this book she barely appears a shadow of her former character.

A few more to read in the series and then I shall return to my early favourites in the series.
Sarah Adamson
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, owned
Another fun chalet mystery. This time it is Robin or Soeur Cecile who is the focus. It's been a while since Robin was in a Chalet story and this was my first time reading this book. It was fun and enjoyable with some less believable parts but a true chalet book and a lovely link back to a beloved character.
Sue
Mar 07, 2018 rated it liked it
53rd in the original series... not a very memorable story. I have probably read it at least three or four times before but had no recollection of the plot at all.

The teenage Adrienne is rescued from a seedy apartment in Paris by the nun formerly known as Robin, and sent to the Chalet School. She makes friends, works hard, and causes some jealousy.

I thought it rather a run-of-the-mill book in the series, with a lot of school events: entertainment, ski-ing, lessons and so on. Mostly interesting
Toni
Oh dear. This is not one of EBD's better efforts - an odd mix of formulaic re-hash and bizarre melodrama. The one promising storyline (girl who is always top of the class becomes jealous when new girl overtakes her) never developed into anything at all, which is a sadly familiar feature of the late Chalet School stories ('Challenge' had a couple of plot-lines with potential too). It was nice to see Robin again though - I've awarded a bonus star for that.
Katherine Bruce
Apr 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• A Refuge for the Chalet School
  • New Beginnings at the Chalet School
  • Just One Evil Act (Inspector Lynley, #18)
  • The Butterfly Room
  • Merry Mistletoe (Tales From Appleyard, #1)
  • A Little Christmas Faith (Christmas Wishes #1)
  • Christmas on the Little Cornish Isles: the Driftwood Inn
  • Everything Is Lies
  • The Telephone Box Library
  • An Amish Miracle: Always Beautiful, Always His Providence, Always in My Heart
  • An Amish Garden
  • The Endless Beach (The Summer Seaside Kitchen, #2)
  • The Little Bookshop at Herring Cove (Rabbits Leap, #5)
  • The Summer House
  • It Started With Christmas
  • One Wish in Manhattan
  • Summer by the Sea
  • A Christmas to Remember
Elinor M. Brent-Dyer was born as Gladys Eleanor May Dyer on 6th April 1894, in South Shields in the industrial northeast of England, and grew up in a terraced house which had no garden or inside toilet. She was the only daughter of Eleanor Watson Rutherford and Charles Morris Brent Dyer. Her father, who had been married before, left home when she was three years old. In 1912, her brother Henzell d ...more

The Chalet School (1 - 10 of 58 books)
  • The School at the Chalet