Start by marking “A Genius at the Chalet School” as Want to Read:
A Genius at the Chalet School

A Genius at the Chalet School

(The Chalet School - Armada #38)

Originally published in hardcover in 1956, The Genius at the Chalet School was split into two volumes in paperback. This first part retained the title of the original, and the second was named Chalet School Fete.
Published December 11th 1987 by Armada (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about A Genius at the Chalet School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Genius at the Chalet School

Jessica
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, fiction
One of my favourites; I've always found the character interactions in Brent-Dyer's books to be surprisingly believable, especially for children's books of the time. And additionally, who can help but love Joey?

Highly recommended - it's such a shame that the books of the series are either out of print or only available new at a price well over the odds for children's books! There are still a good number of second-hand copies floating about cheaply, though, and it's well worth trying to get hold o
Jannah (Cloud Child)
3.5/5

As an overall book its OK, but for me much better than last time as I finally found a copy that actually held the whole story and not half! There wasn't much conflict as I would have liked for a satisfying ending.
L.H. Johnson
It strikes me as curious that I've never actually reviewed this until now. Nina Rutherford is very much a fascination of mine and so this is a book that is very much overdue a review.

Brent-Dyer once wrote a book populated solely by gifted and talented characters (The School by the River). And she did this with great success. The School By The River is a school story with a Ruritanian twist and possesses some of the most attractive characters ever to feature in the school story genre (I'm looking
Sue
Jan 25, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘A Genius at the Chalet School’, for some reason, was divided into two volumes when the series was re-published by Armada paperbacks in the late 1960s and early 1970s. The first volume is still called by its original title; the second part has become ‘Chalet School Fete’.

The story in this first part is about Nina Rutherford, who has been brought up by her widowed father, and who, at the age of 15, has become a highly talented pianist... and ends up at the Chalet School in Switzerland.

There’s a
Deborah
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've never really understood why Armada split this - it's one of the slimmest books in the collection, and it's not as if it's so action-packed that readers need a break before they tackle the last couple of weeks of the term. Nina is a well-drawn character (although I don't believe for a moment that Joey's few words about how Hilda was feeling would have been enough to resolve the situation) and while there's rather too much 'hilarious' pantomime for my liking, on the plus side Joey is mostly k ...more
Apr 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Nina Rutherford has been travelling around with her father around the world since the death of her mother. However, her father recently drowned, and she is left alone.

Her cousin has been appointed as her guardian wants to send her to boarding school, but it's a tricky situation as Nina is a very talented pianist and requires a school that can handle her. She is eventually sent to the Chalet School, but finds it difficult to fit in at first as she has never been around other girls before.
Boneist
Jun 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a very quick read, and could have done with not being split into two books! I also wonder if it was edited at the beginning, as reference is made to her father's death in the blurb that isn't in the book!

Enjoyed it, though.
Carolynne
Apr 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Nina, a piano prodigy (I would not call her a genius), finds a way to fit into Chalet School life and still manage to practice her piano. This version is only about half of the original. I found Nina a bit too bland to be one of Brent-Dyer's memorable characters.
Donna Boultwood
Jul 14, 2015 rated it liked it
I can see others have reviewed in similar vain, saying that this book and Chalet School Fete should be one book. Usual story of a girl losing her parents and being sent off to the school by the guardian. Not my favourite but always an insight into another time.
Tria
Jul 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Abridged version loses a great deal.
Sally
I was slightly biased against this because the cover is just so damn ugly! Okay, and I didn't really love Nina all that much either, but they could have at least made her a little prettier...
Mhairi Gowans
Jul 12, 2014 rated it liked it
A good start to a story,but I can't comment due to reading the Armada version which has been split. As a result, I must wait until purchasing the 'Chalet School Fete' before really commenting.
Sarah Adamson
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Just love this book. Nina is so obviously a genius with musical priorities and yet she's so relatable. A really fun and exciting story.
Clare Hollowell
Hannah
rated it it was ok
Jun 26, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Elinor M. Brent-Dyer was born as Gladys Eleanor May Dyer on 6th April 1894, in South Shields in the industrial northeast of England, and grew up in a terraced house which had no garden or inside toilet. She was the only daughter of Eleanor Watson Rutherford and Charles Morris Brent Dyer. Her father, who had been married before, left home when she was three years old. In 1912, her brother Henzell d ...more

The Chalet School - Armada (1 - 10 of 62 books)
  • The School at the Chalet