Start by marking “Jo of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #2)” as Want to Read:
Jo of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #2)

Jo of the Chalet School (The Chalet School #2)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  819 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
The Chalet School now boasts over 30 pupils. The autumn term sees adventures of all kinds - a flood that threatens the school and the dramatic rescue of an unwanted St Bernard puppy. Finally Joey, Robin and Madge spend a delightful Christmas at Innsbruck.
Published 1984 by Armada (first published 1926)

Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
В прошлом томе все устраивались и организовывались, в этом дело пошло еще веселее. Главу про Рождество в Иннсбруке вообще можно издавать отдельной книжкой с иллюстрациями, она совершенно чудесная.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
Published in 1926, this volume reflects a time when upper middle class girls' education wasn't taken all that seriously. English, math, a bit of history and languages are mixed with dancing, singing and the all-important needlework. I'm just surprised there is no cookery/household management class (though I suppose the German girls get that at home and the English girls expect to have servants when they marry). The most important aspects seem to be games, long walks, crafts and of course no slan ...more
Kate Forsyth
This is ne of the treasures I found in a second-hand children's bookshop Hay-on-Wye when i was there recently – a third edition of ‘Jo of the Chalet School’ by Elinor M Brent-Dyer, published in 1936, with illustrated bookplates intact. This is the second book in the famous series about a girls’ school in the Austrian Tyrol, but was the first one I ever read. I had found a box of them in my grandmother’s attic while staying there on Christmas holidays, and read my way through them. Years later, I ...more
Katherine Bruce
Dec 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jo of introduces a number of new ideas that EBD does not really use in other non-Chalet books: hobbies club, Shakespeariana, St Bernard dogs, a nativity play, etc. The much-lauded Christmas scenes also help to introduce her readers to another facet of continental life. Like its predecessor, it is made up of a series of short scenes and events rather than attempting to follow one or two characters through the course of the book. Of course, having so few characters means that almost all of them ge ...more
Robin makes her first appearance at the Chalet School, and headmistress Madge, who is Jo's sister, gets engaged to Dr. Jem Russell of the nearby TB sanitarium ("The San"). Not the most compelling of the Chalet School series, but you need to read it for background for the subsequent books.
Such lovely tosh. Surely in real life the Chalet School would have shut down by the end of this book, yet another accident making it uninsurable.
Donna Boultwood
Nov 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't give these books anything less than 5 stars. Adorable and of a time. Gruss gott!! Loved the Shakespearean slang and new character the Robin.
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review - Jo of the Chalet School - Second book of the series and second for me too. The scenic settings of the school nestled in the Austrian mountains are the best part of the book. I found this book needs a different kind of mindset to enjoy compared to Enid Blyton school stories. Enid Blyton school stories usually have a central conflict that grabs the reader by collar and drags them along. I found even the one book of Angela Brazil I read had that probably even stronger than in Enid Blyton b ...more
If I was reviewing the section that covered Christmas in Innsbruck this would be a 5 star review. I can't remember how long ago I first read this but it planted something ineffable in my head, and it's very strange actually that not only have I never been to Innsbruck at Christmas, I've never even been to Austria.

The rest of the book is a necessary read because it lays down a lot of information for later in the series. And it's certainly not uninteresting.

I shall say this just the once but I thi
LH Johnson
There's very little to say about the early Chalet School books other than to rhapsodise over how awfully lovely they are. And they are. They are like snow on the day when you don't have to go to school. There's something other worldly about them at this point in the series and it is something rather special and beautiful.

So! Here we are. It is only book two and the school is still finding its feet. We are on the side of the bluest lake in all of Austria and it includes one of my most favourite m
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where school stories are concerned, very few can rival the length, depth and quaint magic of Elinor M. Brent-Dyer's Chalet School series - none more so than at the very beginning, when the school is just getting started in the Austrian Tyrol. At this point, the universe is fresh and refreshing, filled with some of the characters who will stay with the series through over 50 books - many of them at their most winning and human.

Jo Of The Chalet School, in particular, is a joy - a world centred fir
Nov 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Who writes these synopses?!

The Chalet School now boasts over 30 pupils. Correct

The autumn term sees adventures of all kinds - a flood that threatens the school I think you'll find this happens in the EASTER term and the dramatic rescue of an unwanted St Bernard puppy. Oh, well done. Although we don't actually witness the rescue, do we?

Finally Joey, Robin and Madge spend a delightful Christmas at Innsbruck. 'Finally'? No, this happens halfway through the book, before the flood. HELLO! Did you r
Emma Rose Ribbons
Jan 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school-stories
I liked this much more than the first one so I'm so glad I persisted. I'm getting really attached to the students, especially Joey (who I consider the main character at this point). I still wish most of the adventures would take place within the school and revolve around school activities but I really enjoyed the girls' Christmas spent with a host family nonetheless. The Robin is a lovely addition to the cast, too. At this point I'm considering this an adventure series, not a school series, and ...more
May 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Girls 8 - 12
Shelves: childhood-books
Fancy seeing this old series here :-) Do children still read books like this..? Well, I loved these books anyway! Jo is such a sweet heroine. It is probably wildly politically incorrect nowadays though.. But the "wisdom" from the Chalet school series helped me fit in later when I started boarding school. Don't brag, don't whinge and don't gossip too much. Thank you Elinor Brent Dyer, lol!

Jan 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second in the lengthy series about a girls' boarding school in Austria. This book particularly features 13-year-old Joey, sister of the school Head. She makes new friends, becomes editor of a magazine, learns to ski, and even discovers what her future career is likely to be.

Much more interesting than the average school story for teenagers, even if it does seem a little dated in places. So enjoyable to read the hardback again, after only having a paperback version for many years.
Rather smudgy typeface; perhaps not reset since the first printing?!

Both charming; and nowadays, positively funny. Take the singing class under the tutelage of Mr Denny (later christened by the girls ‘Plato’) for example. “ ‘That went well. Now if the tiny maiden” – he indicated the Robin again – ‘will bring me the first song, we will ask this next little elf to distribute these!’ ” (p.103).
Jan 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-jan-read
Robin is introduced in this book, and she's featured in a lot of the following books. She's a six year old, the baby of the school, placed there because her father had to go to Russia for business. She quickly becomes everybody's darling because of her sweet temperament.

Lots of fun in this book, from going skiing, Christmas celebrations in a foreign country, and a big surprise for Madge at the end!
I liked this just as much as the first one. I especially liked the descriptions of Christmas in Innsbruck. Joey's 'Elsie' book and the Shakespearean slang made me laugh. Oh and I now want a St Bernard puppy! (although my cats wouldn't be impressed)

I need to try and find an unabridged The Princess of the Chalet School now :\
Feb 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second Chalet School book - the school's students continue to increase in number, and there's a terrible flood. Plus, a puppy, as you can see from the cover. Joey continues to be a delicate little flower who collapses in a serious fever whenever a breeze brushes against her the wrong way.
I'd forgotten Robin popped up so early. I was never really that keen on her - or Jo, for that matter!
Ella Mclellan
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i love this book and i think it is one of my fav. chalet school books as my family have 60 out of 62 books of the chalet school! i definitely recommend and i love the robin and Rufus the pup!
Sarah Adamson
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This is the second book in the chalet girl series. A very enjoyable book and one of my favourites.
Sian Taylor
lovely series of books for girls
Feb 16, 2014
Dec 23, 2014
Jan 24, 2016
Amelia Horwitz
Sep 06, 2017
  • First Term at Trebizon (Trebizon, #1)
  • End of Term (The Marlows, #4)
  • Fifth Formers of St Clare's (St. Clare's, #6)
  • A Dream of Sadler's Wells (Sadler's Wells, #1)
  • What Katy Did at School (Carr Family, #2)
  • The Whitby Witches (The Whitby Witches, #1)
  • Ballet Shoes for Anna
  • Ballet for Drina (Drina, #1)
Elinor M. Brent-Dyer was born as Gladys Eleanor May Dyer on 6th April 1894, in South Shields in the industrial northeast of England, and grew up in a terraced house which had no garden or inside toilet. She was the only daughter of Eleanor Watson Rutherford and Charles Morris Brent Dyer. Her father, who had been married before, left home when she was three years old. In 1912, her brother Henzell d ...more
More about Elinor M. Brent-Dyer...

The Chalet School (1 - 10 of 58 books)
  • The School at the Chalet (The Chalet School, #1)
  • The Princess of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #3)
  • The Head Girl of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #4)
  • Rivals of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #5)
  • Eustacia Goes to the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #6)
  • The Chalet School and Jo (The Chalet School, #7)
  • The Chalet Girls in Camp (The Chalet School, #8)
  • Exploits of the Chalet Girls (The Chalet School, #9)
  • The Chalet School and the Lintons (The Chalet School, #10)
  • The New House at the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #12)

Fiction Deals

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • The High Mountains of Portugal
  • The Cat's Pajamas: Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Thistle and the Rose (Tudor Saga, #8)
  • The Burgess Boys
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Waterfalls (Glenbrooke, #6)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Tibetan Book of the Dead: The Great Liberation through Hearing in the Bardo (Shambhala Classics)
  • Skinny Legs and All
    $14.99 $1.99
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • The Most Dangerous Place on Earth
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Waiting for Morning (Forever Faithful, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99