Start by marking “Joey and Co. in Tirol (The Chalet School, #43)” as Want to Read:
Joey and Co. in Tirol (The Chalet School, #43)

Joey and Co. in Tirol (The Chalet School #43)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  114 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Joey, always a soft touch, discovers through her teenage triplets that their three next-door neighbours, two boys and a girl, have been abandoned by their father, an absent-minded professor who is trying to reach the moon (and finds children an encumbrance in so doing).
Published October 31st 2006 by Girls Gone By (first published 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Joey and Co. in Tirol, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Joey and Co. in Tirol

LH Johnson
Ladies, control yourselves, but this is the book in which Hot Roger makes his debut. Oh, we all know Reg is the official hottie in the Chalet School series (Joey's first born does, after all, memorably swoon into his arms) but Roger? If ever a book involved a swoonsome debut of a new hero to be, this is that book and Roger is that chap. After all, he prances around the Tiernsee in next to nothing, has some particularly flirtatious moments with all the laydeez(hey Roger let's swim and then afterw ...more
Deborah
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was pleased when I added this one to my collection - the 'holiday' Chalets were the last ones Armada published, and I'd already met Ruey in the next book, which refers back to this one. I remember not liking the start very much - Joey is downright rude to Madge - and I still feel that way. I also just skipped through the description of the salt mines in Hall, as I've never been keen on the tourist board sections of the books. And one day I will sit down with pen and paper and work out Ruey's f ...more
Sally
Really not one I would read again! Boarding school stories that are not actually set IN the school are just not as fun, even if this one was dealing with several pupils (ie. the triplets) and one future pupil (Ruey). It seemed like it would have been a better read had it been condensed into about half its length, and then had the second half actually be at the school with Ruey. Lovely setting though; I felt all happy each time they mentioned Innsbruck!

Okay, and I can't NOT mention this, because
Sue
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book features Joey Maynard and some of her family on holiday in their new chalet in the Austrian Tirol. They get to know the three Richardsons - Roger, Ruey and Roddy - who are staying in a small chalet nearby, mostly without any adult present.

Inevitably there’s much that’s old-fashioned and I rolled my eyes a little at some of the author’s oft-repeated phrases and values. But there’s a lot of warmth too: Jo and her husband Jack are relaxed parents who expect a lot of their children, but th
Apr 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joey and her family are back in the Tirol for the holidays. One day, her triplets get involved in an accident with another family, the Richardsons. After this, Joey takes them under her wing when she discovers that the Richardsons are motherless, and their father is a very absent-minded guy who always goes off on trips as he is an astronomer.

The three "R's", Roger, Ruey and Roddy make their home with the Manyards and join in all the fun that always seems to happen whenever Joey is around.
Sarah Adamson
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, ya, children-s
A rare find! This book starts with Joey Maynard being sent away for a holiday. It goes on to adventure, escapades, the criminal element and space travel! We meet the Richardsons who are so important later in the series and learn a lot more about the Maynard boys than in any other books. Loved this book so much!! I missed the school a bit but this is almost a throw back to the earliest books with so much intrigue and adventure!
Celia
Joey takes her incredibly large family on holiday to their new holiday chalet in Tirol. They promptly end up adopting three children whose father is so benignly neglectful that he plans to leave them to live on their own while he heads into space (...what? The most fanciful of all "my parent abandoned me" plot lines). Rather overly long sections of this book are devoted to either discussing packing or cleaning and packing up a house, and it's not set at the school - not my favourite book.
Nicola
Jul 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
One of the better later stories, in which the ensemble read like actual characters rather than one-dimensional plot points!
Sharon Khan
Katherine Bruce
Dec 03, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
21978
Elinor M. Brent-Dyer was born as Gladys Eleanor May Dyer on 6th April 1894, in South Shields in the industrial northeast of England, and grew up in a terraced house which had no garden or inside toilet. She was the only daughter of Eleanor Watson Rutherford and Charles Morris Brent Dyer. Her father, who had been married before, left home when she was three years old. In 1912, her brother Henzell d ...more
More about Elinor M. Brent-Dyer...

The Chalet School (1 - 10 of 58 books)
  • The School at the Chalet (The Chalet School, #1)
  • Jo of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #2)
  • The Princess of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #3)
  • The Head Girl of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #4)
  • Rivals of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #5)
  • Eustacia Goes to the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #6)
  • The Chalet School and Jo (The Chalet School, #7)
  • The Chalet Girls in Camp (The Chalet School, #8)
  • Exploits of the Chalet Girls (The Chalet School, #9)
  • The Chalet School and the Lintons (The Chalet School, #10)