Start by marking “The Siren” as Want to Read:
The Siren

The Siren (DC Gary Goodhew Mystery #2)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  492 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
All it took was one small item on the regional news for Kimberly Guyver and Rachel Golinski to know that their old life was catching up with them. They wondered how they'd been naive enough to htink it wouldn't. They hoped they still had a chance to leave it behind—just one more time—but within hours, Rachel's home is burning and Kimberly's young son, Riley, is missing.

DC
Published by Constable and Robinson (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Siren, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Siren

Nick Davies
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
This - another punt picked up from a charity shop with relatively little consideration except a brief scan of the blurb to ascertain it was a police procedural novel set in Cambridge - is a slightly hard one to review. Despite having several aspects which would perhaps annoy me elsewhere, the book left with an overall sense of having enjoyed the read.

Much of this is the balance of the writing. It's good quality language without ever being pretentious, and generally it travels through with a slow
Richard
Sep 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
A good second appearance for the logical and independent minded DC Gary Goodhew. He is a cracking detective with good interview techniques but is ability to socialise and interact with women is cringe worthy. To the point I think is or has stalked a former girlfriend and spies on his place of work. His boss Marks is no better keeping a file on the police officer, wondering what makes him tick and if he is a team player and worthy of his place on the force.
However, Marks admires Goodhew and is le
Clare
I listened to this in audio format.

The Siren was the second book in the D.C. Gary Goodhew series. Although I enjoyed this book I enjoyed her first book Cambridge Blue more.

Kimberley Guver and Rachel Golinksy have been best friends since school. One afternoon Kimberley catches the news on TV. A body of a man is discovered in a car in the Mediterranean. The mans name is Nick her ex-boyfriend.

Kimberley and her 2 yr old Son Riley need to leave Cambridge straight away. Rachel offers to look after Ri
Sandra
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 rather than 4* Well-written and mostly enjoyable, especially for creation of place, but somehow - possibly the somewhat unappealing weirdness of DC Gary Goodhew - this isn't a series I'm likely to avidly pursue.
John Lee
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My second in quick succession by this author who it took me so long to track down.
Why did a news item about the recovery of a car from a spanish lake cause so many waves in Cambridge. What or who could cause such fear?
The answer makes for an exciting story as rising star of the Cambridge Police - Gary Goodhew gets involved in a suspicious house fire.
This second book of the series sheds a bit more light on Goodhew's solitary life ( and work) style and something let slip in a quiet heart to heart
Katie Roy
I found this book really confusing and I never really followed the story. Not my cup of tea.
Liette
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gary Goodhew did it again, he thought outside of the box and followed the clues to find the culprit. I can't wait to read the next installment in the series.
Elizabeth
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This second book in the Gary Goodhew series has completely won me over. The formula for my reading pleasure is a vague balance between characters and dialog with 10-20% plot. The dialog is fine, the plot is pretty good, I have fallen hard for the characters. I also know a book has completely captured me when I find myself reading every single word instead of skipping ahead to the next bit of action. I read every word of this one.

Goodhew's primary motivation in life is solving criminal mysteries.
Cleo Bannister
Set in Cambridge this is the second book in the series that features the young DC Gary Goodhew who along with the team are under pressure when an arson attack is seemingly linked to a child abduction.

It is a long time since I read Cambridge Blue, the first in this series but powerful enough for me to remember the complex crime that showcased Alison Bruce’s accomplished writing with a good plot backed up with a detective in a newer mould than many we meet in police procedurals. The Siren is no di
ReadandRated
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I searched high and low for this book after being completely blown away by Cambridge Blue. I wanted to read more about Gary Goodhew, as with all great characters, I missed him!

In The Siren I found a Gary Goodhew who seemed a bit more comfortable in his own skin and in his role within the police force. He seemed to have gained more trust and respect from his senior officer and at least some of the team. The ever unlikeable Kincaide is also back with his snidey comments general air of slime bucket
Geraldine
Jul 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, series, 2015
3.5* - considerably better than Cambridge Blue. This is a gripping and absorbing book from start to finish and quite an easy read.

A strength of her writing is her sense of place - terroir, I think the food writers call it. It's a bit lost on me, as I don't know Cambridge, but I have looked at Google Maps!

Her characterisations are stronger than in the first book. Gary Goodhew is less of an enigma - still an odd man, but he's not hidden behind a haze. I liked how PC Sue Gully emerges throughout t
Barbara Mitchell
Jan 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This e-book is a slightly confusing mystery but I was impressed by Bruce's ability to present a character in a couple paragraphs so well that you feel like you know that person's type. The exceptions are the main characters, DC Gary Goodhew and Kimberly Guyver, mother of a missing toddler.

The story begins with Kimberly in her kitchen finding a matchbook with the name and logo of Rita Club on it. She burns the matchbook, then turns to take care of her son Riley. On TV a news flash shows a winch l
Anne
Jul 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Siren is the second book in Alison Bruce's new detective series, set in Cambridge and featuring DC Gary Goodhew. This is the follow up to Cambridge Blue which I reviewed back in April.
Gary Goodhew is younger and just that little bit different to the usual Detective and in this story he is still bucking the trend, taking massive chances and finding it difficult to conform. This makes him something of an enigma, both to the reader and to his superiors and colleagues.
Alison Bruce is excellent a
Up All Night Book Addict

I adored this book! It was the book I needed to read at the right time. Now, I didn't read the first book, so I was worried about being lost. I had no problem following the book and getting lost IN it! This is a book I never wanted to put down!
There isn't too much I can say about this book.... Reason being, I will give too much away! But I will try my best to tell you what I really liked about this book!
There was just enough going on in this book that is was not only easy to follow but
Kb
I had read the first few chapters of this book already before abandoning it maybe about a year ago. In the meantime, I read the next two in the series. Now I've completed all the Goodhew offerings currently available.

Character-wise, this book shows the development of Sue Gully and her friendship, and the beginnings of her working relationship, with Goodhew. Some things I found a bit weird, like the business with Marks and the notorious file that Kincaide seems to tell everyone about. And Kincai
Kath
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading the first in this series the other day I was left not really sure what I thought of Gary, I loved the storyline but really wasn't sure of him. Well, after reading this book, I feel I know him a little better and am happy to report that I am warming to him. He still does things outside the box but at least his heart is in the right place and he means well.
So, we meet Kimberley and Rachel. They appear to have been spooked by a tv report, so much so that they decide that previously ma
Lynn
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Siren is the second book in the Detective Constable Gary Goodhew series set in Cambridgeshire, England. Kimberly Guyver and Rachel Golinski are shocked to see that the body of a missing man has been found in Spain. Before they can absorb this news, a tragic house fire leads to a death and the disappearance of Guyver's son Riley. Rookie Police Constable Sue Gully is assigned to watch Guyver while the investigation gets underway. She and Goodhew are quickly at odds due in no small part to Good ...more
Allison Campbell

This is the second in the DC Gary Goodhew series, and I’m not inclined to pick up the first unless I get desperate for reading material. The story begins with the discovery of a car in the Mediterranean sea, containing the body of Nick. Kimberly and Rachel are shocked by the news, and it’s pretty obvious one of them is involved somehow. Goodhew gets involved when a house fire kills Rachel and Kimberly’s son disappears. Kimberly is desperate yet uncooperati
Will Tate
Oct 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A couple of years after reading "Cambridge Blue" it was good to catch up with Gary Goodhew's latest exploits in Alison Bruce's follow-up "The Calling". This was a rattling good read with plenty of action and a fantastic finale that had me staying up late to see what happened. As a Cambridge(shire) resident it was great to read a novel whose settings I knew well and to see that Goodhew frequents many of the same pubs as me! If I had any complaints they would be firstly that too many of the charac ...more
Josette
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-reads
This is the second outing for Gary Goodhew, a young - and somewhat maverick - Detective Constable based in Cambridge. This time, Goodhew's investigating an arson/murder and the disappearance of a small child.

I enjoyed the first book of this series - Cambridge Blue - immensely, and am so pleased that this one lived up to expectations. There's twists and turns aplenty, and the build-up to the ending is genuinely thrilling....I found myself stumbling over words and sentences in my eagerness to get
Twin Opinions
Nov 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A truly great read. Bruce captures my complete attention again with her DC Gary Goodhew mysteries. I really enjoyed the new characters introduced into this novel. I really think it built the story line.

I love the development in Gary's character. I haven't figured out exactly where Marks stands yet...? But I do enjoy his character as well. I really enjoyed the story line of this book. I love when a series can bring a second or even third or fourth book into a series and stay with the general cha
Tammy Wooding
Jun 22, 2016 marked it as books-i-have  ·  review of another edition

Sometimes the past just won't stay buried.

DC Gary Goodhew is on a pub crawl when he smells smoke. He rushes to the scene and finds a raging house fire, too far gone to stop. The blaze leaves two corpses, but a young boy--who was also inside--is now missing.

As the investigation deepens, it becomes clear that the boy's mother, Kimberley, knows much more than she is letting on. With the clock ticking on a child's life, Goodhew begins to sift through the ruins of Kimberley's past--and uncovers an

Jayde
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2 Stars.

I like Alison Bruce's writing style, and I like that this author appears to have the ability to build tension and some serious suspense. Unfortunately the novel is paced incredibly slowly, so there isn't much suspense or tension until near the end.

The ending is okay, but it leaves some unanswered questions.

Compared to other works in the same genre, it is quite a dry read. Filled with minutiae that doesn't further the story, or really do much. Quite a lot of minor characters introduced
george burns
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Firstrate

Firstrate

Ms. Bruce's first mystery novel featuring Detective Gary Goodhew, Cambridge Blue, was good, but the followup is much better. The characters are interesting, the suspense palpable and the plot ingenious. The surprising twists continue until the very end. If there is a flaw it is in Goodhew who is interesting but a bit too eccentric to be believable as a police detective. Although, he is learning to work the system, he still seems like the gifted amateur of decades past. Verdict:
Mj
Jul 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
A good mystery story. I found it difficult to guess the outcome.

It continues to build with many of the characters established in "Cambridge Blue" and a new addition or two as well. Definitely read the other book first to get the maximum enjoyment.

My only criticism is that there seems to be a "slow patch" about one third into the book, where it takes more effort than ideally I'd like to maintain focus on the story, which knocks the rating down from five to four stars.

Looking forward to the next '
Hanne N
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Really disappointed with this book. It was so slow to get into and being the type of book it is, I was expecting a rather exciting ending. It slightly picked up pace about 60 pages from the end but even that was a disappointment. The crime stories I've read before were at such a high level, this was just a complete let down and it really puts me off this author's other books. I think I'll give them a miss and stick to crime authors I know can write at least good stories. I wouldn't have even con ...more
Melissa
This is the second in the DC Gary Goodhew series. It is much better than the first, and very gripping from the first page. I am warming up to this series as the characters of Goodhew and crew are developing nicely. The bit down side of this story is that I didn't fully understand the why of who-did-what-to-whom when the story ended. Nonetheless I did enjoy this and look forward to reading the next one in the series!
Lesley Lambourne
Jan 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this, the second Goodhew mystery. Gary's character is developing nicely, as is the interaction between him and Marks.
Cambridge born and bred, I find I'm trying to plot the locations in my mind, which increases the interest in this series.
The book is well written and you need to pay attention throughout. The last few chapters are fast-paced; it is over of those books that you want to finish, but don't want to end.....
Reading Write
3 1/2 stars from Kota for Kota's Book Kollection

"The author has the ability to build suspense and mystery in a way that keeps the pages turning, however, it seemed like it took a long time before things actually happened. There is a lot of minutiae in the details but I didn’t feel closer to understanding the motive or the action." - Kota

For the full review visit

Angie Perkins
Apr 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd rather overdone crime novels a while ago and have been making a (most enjoyable) effort to read other genres. However this one (and another one by Alison Bruce) was given to me and it seemed a shame to waste it. However I have to say I completely enjoyed it, so much so that I have already started the other one. Good characters, good storyline, exciting ending. And after all, what more does a good crime novel need?
  • All Fall Down (Kate Maddox, #2)
  • Never Apologise, Never Explain (Inspector Carlyle #2)
  • The Ice Marathon
  • City of Lost Girls (Ed Loy, #5)
  • Luke And Jon
  • The Wedding Diaries
  • Jack the Ripper: The Hand of a Woman
  • Hurry Up and Wait
  • The Proof of Love
  • After I Do
  • The Mysterious Death of Miss Austen
  • Art of Deception (Kate Hanson #2)
  • It's Just Sext (The Right Kind of Wrong, #1)
  • You Wish...
  • All The Hopeful Lovers
  • Shiver Sweet
  • With Just One Click...
  • Scream: A Dci Mark Lapslie Investigation
There is more than one author with this name

Alison Bruce was born in Surrey, United Kingdom, and now lives in Cambridge.
More about Alison Bruce...

DC Gary Goodhew Mystery (7 books)
  • Cambridge Blue (DC Gary Goodhew Mystery #1)
  • The Calling (DC Gary Goodhew Mystery #3)
  • The Silence (DC Gary Goodhew Mystery #4)
  • The Backs (DC Gary Goodhew Mystery #5)
  • The Promise (DC Gary Goodhew Mystery #6)
  • Cambridge Black (DC Gary Goodhew #7)