Start by marking “Twelve Gates to the City” as Want to Read:
Twelve Gates to the City

Twelve Gates to the City

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  306 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
A novel of self-discovery, family bonds and the healing of one small southern town

Twelve Gates to the City is the much-anticipated sequel to Black’s acclaimed debut, They Tell Me of a Home. In this novel, Sister assumes the voice of the narrator, speaking from the spirit realm, telling her brother TL things he could have never known about their family. She constructs the s
Published December 6th 2011 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Twelve Gates to the City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twelve Gates to the City

Zanetta Robinson
Aug 05, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

Simply awful.

The two or three sentences of excellent story in no way make up for the hundreds, thousands of sentences comprised of pure, unadulterated suck.

You've been warned.

(Read my running commentary for more details.)
Shannon
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Better than the prequel, though I'm not sure how easy this one would be to follow without first reading They Tell Me of a Home.
Yasmin
Oct 14, 2011 rated it liked it
I'm a Daniel Black fan but this book tried to do too much and was all over the place for me. I kept reading because I wanted to find out what happened to Sister...once I did unfortunately I lost interest in the rest of the book. I will still read another book by Black as long as its not a sequel. :(
Antigo Martin-Delaney
Jul 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not his best work. The character development was weak. It seemed like he rush to get to the end of the story. If you have not read "They Tell Me of a Home" read it first before this one. That is the only way the story and characters make sense.
Karen Miller
Jul 26, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Karen by: Brothers and Sisters Book Club

Why, why, why, why???????

I LOVED Perfect Peace by Daniel Black, and really enjoyed They Tell Me of a Home, and so I couldn't wait to read Twelve Gates to the City -- the prequel to They Tell Me of a Home. I can't even begin to express how disappointed I was!

I give you this, though . . . no one can capture the spirit and feel of the rural South like Daniel Black can. I loved reading about the Meeting Tree and the stories told and antics displayed there. Lawdy, Lawdy, Lawdy . . . felt like I was t
Lynn Dixon
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
TL has returned to his hometown of Swamp Creek, Arkansas for a family visit. He is a Ph.D. who lives in New York. He gets on the bus to return home, but something pulls him back and he gets off the bus to stay. He ends up taking the vacant teaching post left open after the teacher’s death. He realizes that there is something he needs to know. TL discovers that the former teacher was his biological mother and that she had had an affair with his father. This helps explain why he’d had such a strai ...more
Rell
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
YESSSSSSS..... This is my favorite read so far of the year. This book is filled with so much good information, it really will give you a different view on so many things and different perspectives. I found myself literally laughing out loud in a gym full of strangers looking at me like I've lost my mind!!!

This is one of those books that will make you laugh loudly, gasp and say I can't believe that happened and make you evaluate how you view life and some of the decisions that you've made.

It st
Kimberly Hicks
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Kimberly by: Goodreads
What a wonderful sequel to They Tell Me of a Home! Simply one of the most heartfelt books I've read in years. Daniel Black is an awesome writer, and I'd love to see his books into movies because the way his books read, they run like a movie in my mind.

TL Tyson found out that even though he may have left his home of Swamp Creek, you can't lose the home within you--his heritage--his roots. He has a heavy price to pay, but in the end, it was well worth it.

Outstanding read, and one that I will neve
LaKesha
Jul 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this sequel although it did not end the way I expected. There was lots of symbolism here. It's an amazing story of family, forgiveness, acceptance, understanding and self-discovery. I wasn't crazy about the mysticism surrounding Sister's death. I am still left with the question of "What actually happened to Sister?" I would recommend Black's work for those seeking a captivating storyline.
Latrel
Sep 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read They Tell Me Of A Home about 4 yrs ago and loved it. When I read Black had added the sequel was over joyed. A little hard at first to remember the characters but Black's storytelling is amazing love how he weaves the story line but this book seem to be rushed in places. Still loved how the story answers so many unanswered questions from the first book "GREAT READ" anyway. Now reading "Perfect Peace" same little town (Swamp creek).
Sarita
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I think it's an excellent read in outlining Black Heritage. I'm only 48 and there were many things I remember from my family history that correlated so closely to his book. I'm from a family of Educators and now I REALLY understand the love, passion and gift they had for wanting to teach children. I still have some unanswered questions about the city. However, I'm sure I'll get them from the many reviews. Don't miss out on this read!
Tsanderswoods
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
So disappointed! This book was written as if three different authors took turns writing chapters! Sister's voice did not add or take away from the story, I skipped most of all of Uncle Jesse's sections, and the ending was a rush to nothingingness! Too many loose pieces and patching together forgotten about characters! This was a poorly written sequel to "They tell me of home."
Chel-c
Aug 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: daniel-black
Just like They Tell Me of a Home, I really enjoyed this book. Black has a special way to tell a story and his stories always seem to come full circle. This novel was very spiritual and caused me to think about alot of things. The only reason this book lost a star was because I felt as though it dragged in some areas and Black was long winded in some areas. Overall, great book!
Amscott1970gmail.com
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a sequel and it was a great read sometimes I believe the stories behind these novels has to be true.
Donni
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. Great story
Hillary Smith
Aug 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
I had to quit. So boring.
Mic C
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved it better than the first book in this series
Cheryl Durham
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Daniel Black, just as he did with They Tell Me Of A Home, captivated the reader's attention from start to finish. This book was built on the foundation of the above mentioned book. TL continued his search as to how his sister died. He also came to a number of conclusions about himself and the world around him.

The book encourages you to do a lot of soul searching. Many truths were revealed in a number of ways. I love the openness and the invited secrets that signifies his writing style. David Bla
Zandra
Very rarely do I start a book that I simply cannot finish. I can always find some redeeming value in a book that I chose to read - not one I had to read for a class or book group. I loved Black's Perfect Peace and I almost liked his The Tell Me of a Home. But, this book... It was torture to read and I finally gave up. I can't even pretend to come up with something. I am sorry. :(
Sheda
Oct 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
Having the hardest time getting through this one. The first one was so good and i'm so disappointed that this one has started off terribly. I want to finish with the hopes of it getting better but judging by the other reviews I don't think that will be the case.

Ashley Teagle
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book like I knew I would. You can see, hear, smell and practically taste Dr. Black's novels.

I would highly recommend this book for fans of a good story. I hope the series continues because I felt like there were still so many loose ends with TL's story.
Erica L
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is probably one of the most important books, to my spirit, that I have ever read! Daniel Black is brilliant, conscious and profound. I was in awe of his story! I am now on the hunt for any and everything this gifted Man has ever written! BRAVO Sir, Bravo!
Darlene Sweet
It was great, I was wondering when his next book will be coming out. I read all his books. Tell all my freinds @ family about this author.
Al Woods
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A riveting piece of fiction .... I'm typically not a fiction reader but I found this book a very rewarding reading experience... a must read !!!!!!!!
Lynn
Jan 10, 2012 added it
Great Book. Mr. Black has done it again.
Tamia
May 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A treasure

This novel is beautiful beyond words. It follows TL once again back at his home in Swamp Creek, where he finds the answers he has always looked for.
Dionna Johnson
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Love this author!!!
Teresa Mccaw
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Nice sequel
Monique
Dec 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
Total disappoint and not worth the pages it's printed on....perhaps someone else wrote this book because Perfect Peace was amazing. Oh well...you can't always be great.
Annette Little-breedlove
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
enjoyed the book great story
  • Fish and Grits
  • My Name is Butterfly
  • South by Southeast (Tennyson Hardwick, #4)
  • Attorney-Client Privilege (Vernetta Henderson, #4)
  • Who Is He to You
  • The Secret She Kept
  • Soulacoaster: The Diary of Me
  • BMF: The Rise and Fall of Big Meech and the Black Mafia Family
  • Love on Death Row
NOTE: There is more than one author with this name on Goodreads.Daniel Black author of Be Careful What You Wish For

Daniel Black is a native of Kansas City, Kansas, yet spent the majority of his childhood years in Blackwell, Arkansas. He is an associate professor at his alma mater, Clark Atlanta University, where he now aims to provide an example to young Americans of the importance of self-knowled
More about Daniel Black...

“Listen to what I’m tellin’ you, boy! This is why we couldn’t tell you the truth—’cause you wasn’t lookin’ for the truth. You was lookin’ for confirmation of what you already believed. The truth was starin’ you in the face and you didn’t want it. How the hell could I get away wit’ killin’ somebody and authorities never come? Huh? I know we in the country, but we ain’t on Mars! That don’t make no sense! But you couldn’t swallow the truth that I had done changed, so you held on to the ignorance you always believed—that I was a mean, nasty, evil woman. That’s what’s wrong wit’ the world. We don’t let people change.” She paused, frowning. “Sometimes, when people change, we change ’em right back into what they was ’cause the change don’t fit how we know ’em. So people get tired of fightin’ to make other folks see ’em differently. Most stop tryin’.” TL” 1 likes
“It’s the scars that tell you who people are and that help you understand their motives. Understanding scars breeds compassion, and compassion breeds sight, and sight leads to forgiveness. How blind humans are while they think they see so clearly.…” 1 likes